ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL AAAA Rankings - Week 8

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
Big week in the WPIAL with PR-PCC and Woody-Lebo for conference championships and potential top seeds in the playoffs.

1. Woody: Great win vs. very good West A team. Need to follow it up with strong performance vs. Lebo. It seems that there defense is improving, but need to find a way to generate consistent offense - not just on huge plays. That works now, but against tougher teams, I'm not sure you can count on that.

2. Penn Trafford: Possibly have a little bit of a test tonight vs. Plum, but Plum has faded a little, getting smoked last week by McKeesport. Look for PT to handle Plum with the same goal - no injuries and a W.

3. Pine-Richland: Tonight will tell alot about this club. Last year, this was the game where the defense stepped up to match the offense's productivity.They need it to happen tonight to contain Ronnie Jones and PCC's rushing attack. Offensively, Jurkovec needs to be best player on field (a tall order) and avoid turnovers, particularly early in halves, when PCC's defense will be rested and firing out off the ball.

4. North Allegheny: Another winless team for them - Latrobe. Mercy rule at the half.

5. Lebo: Have not been able to see much Lebo, but tonight's game vs. Woodland Hills is the biggest game they have had in probably 5 years. I think it is a little like PR game last year vs. PCC, where they were undefeated, but no one really knew how good they were. If they can go into the Wolverina and stop the big plays, and spread the ball around, they have a decent chance of winning. Must be great on special teams too. Key on offense is will they be able to pass the ball effectively vs. Woodland Hills pressure by DL - who are big and fast.

6. Central Catholic: Get a win tonight and they jump back into probably top 3 teams in WPIAL. Everyone will forget about the loss to NA. I'm sure PR will be prepared for the running game - can PCC's QB make enough plays in a big-time atmosphere to get the win? Defensively, they must have consistent rush from their front 4, and their secondary must tackle. If they do those things, their athleticism should prevail.

7. McKeesport: Handled Plum with ease, and now have an up and down Norwin team. I think it will be the same result as last week - a mercy rule victory. McKeesport should use these games to work on their passing game.

Next 3
Bethel Park
USC
Winner of Seneca Valley vs. Penn Hills

Reactions: lilromeo
Great overview of this week's top games by New2pa. The Pine Richland/ Central game will be televised by Root Cable and it is senior night at PR. I will be at the game as I live in the PR district but will be rooting for Central. It will be interesting to contrast the two soph Qb's . Will Central's Troy Fisher who has been more of a game manager be able to make a few plays to stay in the game with Pine's big play prolific 6-5 all world soph.i think the key to the game will be whether Central can shut down the Pine Richland running attack. I hope to see a great game. I anxiously await the kick off.

Last week I mentioned it sounded like PCC turned the corner. Now I guess that is evident, or is it?

What does this mean given Pine Rich graduated 19 to 20 starters? Are we saying Coach K has overnight created a program on par with PCC, Woody, USC, NA, McKees?

If so, then PCC's win takes on greater significance. If not?

I was at this game. I have a hard time believing that there are two better teams in the WPIAL than those two. Both were really, really good. I think both teams brought their A-game and it looked like competition was very high. I think the PCC guys would probably agree with me.

Who knows how the rest of the season will play out, but I can't imagine PR not being a top 2 or 3 team in the WPIAL until Jurkovec graduates. Their offense is too good, and their defense continues to get better. And from everything I hear, Jurkovec's class is loaded with kids just waiting their shot because of upperclassmen or injuries.

IMO, the key has been that the kids now believe. It seems like no matter the situation or who they are playing, the kids believe that they have a chance to win. Down 42-21 to SJP last year, and this year 21-0 to PCC with a different bunch of kids. Obviously, some pretty good talent too - but its not like all these kids just moved to PR after Coach K came (although that wouldn't be bad either. LoL.) Coach K is the real deal.

It was indeed a great game. Pine Richland tied it up with under 3 minutes remaining at 28-28 scoring 14 points in the 4th qtr led by their sensational soph QB. PCC was not finished and their soph QB 6-4 Troy Fisher led them on a game winning drive with passing to Jake McKee. With the ball on Pine Richland's 16 it looked like Central was positioning the ball for a game winning FG but Fisher took it all the way in for a TD on a 16 yard Quarterback sneak. Final PCC 35 Piine Richland 28. What a ball game ! High school football at it's finest.

Reactions: new2pa
Stalker, No doubt Pine Richland is real good. Their QB is scary good and they have a great coach. I think they and PCC will be going toe to toe for at least the next 2 years . Central will be very strong again next year.

Yeah, that's my view as well. Thanks. I key off of scores, whatever vids I can find and just knowing the history of the programs having lived in Oakland for a while, visiting family often and college years in Harrisburg and area,....now outside Philly. No, I'm not running from the law. Ha!

But heck yes with health PCC and PR are going to be scary good for awhile with two sophomore QBs of such skill. And with Penn Trafford, McKeesport, Mount Lebanon, North Allegheny and Woodland Hills loaded, it was an easy call in the preseason write ups saying the West is really loaded....not even counting Central Dauphin, Cumberland Valley and Wilson. By the way, the team Wilson edged 15-9, Hempfield (7-1) is a player too. Then a notch below them is Exeter Twp and Dallastown both 8-0, especially Exeter.

Saw CD who did not impress against Cumberland Valley Friday. But, being a native of the area I can tell you guys that that is a fierce rivalry, often a defensive struggle where neither impress pitting an East Shore team against a West Shore team; very intense. The hitting was personal and nasty with great special teams winning it on a 40-yd FG as time expired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT