ADVERTISEMENT

Some big matchups in the wpial this week

Drip. I'm well aware of SJP's advantages and who they are, living in their area for over 30 years and seeing many games, particularly when played in my neighborhood at Widener and O'Hara.

And of course, PCC is not the same as SJP. I wasn't clear. What I rarely see on this board is any mention of the substantial gulf between PCC and boundary schools they play. Where's that outcry?

Private schools that opt to have successful football teams like PCC, McDevitt and others well known to the board have advantages and resources Central Dauphin, Downingtown, Parkland, Harrisburg, State College and most of the highly successful boundary schools don't have. Of course there are exceptions. Transfers happen.

My point was as much as people are quick to unendingly point out SJP's advantages, they seem most hesitant to mention those of McDevitt's, PCC's, et al relative to boundary schools they play.
I do think boundary schools have advantages but I also agree with you. I think all schools public and private should play one another and I don't want separation. I agree with you in my mind Harrisburg was the public school champ last year and prep the private. I was just responding to comments comparing SJP to PCC and other schools in pa. My point is you can't. Sjp has to many advantages other schools dont including the private schools. There's no out cry but it's not fare to compare prep to any high school in pa.

Last edited:
In terms of PCC being the 4th or 5th best team Prep will play this year IFFFF they meet in Hershey, I'm fairly confident in that statement going by what I have seenwith my own eyes. Again, not a shot whatsoever at the Vikings. I think it speaks more to Preps strength of schedule. I dont think they are better than St John's of DC, who just blasted traditional Cali power Mission Viejo(D1 players throughout the roster),who Prep scrimmaged and from what I read Prep handled them for the most part. Certainly arent better than IMG. From what I saw, Lakeland gave Prep all they could handle for 3+ quarters so I would give them the advantage also. St Peter's Prep and Don Bosco are traditional powers. Both are having down years by their programs standards but still have D1 prospects all over both rosters. I would put PCC above those 2 this year. So PCC is in that 4th spot, in my opinion.

Hopefully both teams stay healthy and they settle it on the field in December. We are due for a 6A instant classic
You're entitled to your opinion but I think it's a little ridiculous. Their schedule looked a lot tougher then it was at the beginning of the season. St peters is 0-5, don bosko is 1-4 and Lakeland is 3-2. Take img off preps schedule and their opponents thus far are 4-11. This week they have a 1-3 wood team making it 5-14. They aren't the traditional powers they normally are. Taking nothing away from prep because they are as good as advertised and they went toe to toe with maybe the best team in the country but other than img their schedule isn't as spectacular as everyone thought it would be at the beginning of the season. Ive watched all preps games online that have been streamed and PCC (this year's team) would beat everyone on their schedule except img. I agree prep would be they favorite on PCC IFFFFF prep makes it to Hershey but traditional it's the wpial that beats them and this PCC group is special.

Last edited:
In terms of PCC being the 4th or 5th best team Prep will play this year IFFFF they meet in Hershey, I'm fairly confident in that statement going by what I have seenwith my own eyes. Again, not a shot whatsoever at the Vikings. I think it speaks more to Preps strength of schedule. I dont think they are better than St John's of DC, who just blasted traditional Cali power Mission Viejo(D1 players throughout the roster),who Prep scrimmaged and from what I read Prep handled them for the most part. Certainly arent better than IMG. From what I saw, Lakeland gave Prep all they could handle for 3+ quarters so I would give them the advantage also. St Peter's Prep and Don Bosco are traditional powers. Both are having down years by their programs standards but still have D1 prospects all over both rosters. I would put PCC above those 2 this year. So PCC is in that 4th spot, in my opinion.

Hopefully both teams stay healthy and they settle it on the field in December. We are due for a 6A instant classic
SJP plays Archbishop Spalding in Maryland on Oct. 20. Spalding is undefeated except for a close loss in Philly to TEP.

You're entitled to your opinion but I think it's a little ridiculous. Their schedule looked a lot tougher then it was at the beginning of the season. St peters is 0-5, don bosko is 1-4 and Lakeland is 3-2. Take img off preps schedule and their opponents thus far are 4-11. This week they have a 1-3 wood team making it 5-14. They aren't the traditional powers they normally are. Taking nothing away from prep because they are as good as advertised and they went toe to toe with maybe the best team in the country but other than img their schedule isn't as spectacular as everyone thought it would be at the beginning of the season. Ive watched all preps games online that have been streamed and PCC (this year's team) would beat everyone on their schedule except img. I agree prep would be they favorite on PCC IFFFFF prep makes it to Hershey but traditional it's the wpial that beats them and this PCC group is special.
Don't get too hung up on records. Yes, St. Peter's is winless but included in those losses is an overtime loss, a fairly close loss, and a loss to the #1 ranked team in Jersey by, I think, two TDs. Included in the teams Bosco has lost to are Bergen Catholic (#2 in Jersey), St. Joe's Montvale (#1 in Jersey) and Spalding, which SJP plays in an away game in a few weeks. Let's see what Lakeland's record is at the end of the year. SJP also plays Roman (one loss so far in triple overtime to DeMatha) and LaSalle (a rivalry game).

I agree that SJP's overall schedule isn't quite as tough as it looked pre-season, but let's see how it looks at the end of the year.

Reactions: Stalker and newport
If Sjp only lost by 3 to IMG, why does PCC stand a chance? Only injuries, or if SJP plays the worst game of their lives. Which is possible although unlikely

Reactions: newport
You asked a question. I gave you MY opinion and the reasons for why I have that opinion. Why even ask? No matter what, you werent gonna get an answer you agreed with.

"Take IMG off the schedule.." silly statement. They are on the schedule and Prep played them as tough as anyone will all year.

I also didnt say Don Bosco or SPP were better. I CLEARLY said PCC was the better team in my eyes. I dont think they are better than St John's, IMG or Lakeland. So like I said way up above, they will be right around the 4th best team Prep will see all year. And they might fall to 5 after the Spaulding game. Depends on what they look like when they play.

I've also heard this song and dance before from PCC teams/fans/people before about their squad only to get absolutely throttled in Hershey multiple times. They have had a few teams that have had D1 guys all over the roster and gotten embarrassed.

2013- PCC was the favorite and got waxed 35-10
2016- Prep mercy rules PCC 42-7
2019- PCC up 24-17 with 246 left in the game and somehow lost to a Prep team without McCord

So again, PCC is a super solid team. Athletes everywhere. Big. Fast. Playmakers all over the place. But please forgive me for not calling them generational or elite until I see a loaded PCC team actually show up in Hershey against Prep and play in a competitive game. Maybe(hopefully) that changes this year

Drip. I'm well aware of SJP's advantages and who they are, living in their area for over 30 years and seeing many games, particularly when played in my neighborhood at Widener and O'Hara.

And of course, PCC is not the same as SJP. I wasn't clear. What I rarely see on this board is any mention of the substantial gulf between PCC and boundary schools they play. Where's that outcry?

Private schools that opt to have successful football teams like PCC, McDevitt and others well known to the board have advantages and resources Central Dauphin, Downingtown, Parkland, Harrisburg, State College and most of the highly successful boundary schools don't have. Of course there are exceptions. Transfers happen.

My point was as much as people are quick to unendingly point out SJP's advantages, they seem most hesitant to mention those of McDevitt's, PCC's, et al relative to boundary schools they play.
stalk-
"What I rarely see on this board is any mention of the substantial gulf between PCC and boundary schools they play. Where's that outcry?"
There is no "substantial gulf."

btw- Swift!!

And now because I'm defending my own opinion, I feel like I'm degrading or talking down about HS kids so I can make my point. That's the last thing I want to do. I wish PCC and Prep all the health and success going forward and hope them and Prep gives the greatest Pa state title game we have ever seen

Last edited:
I've also heard this song and dance before from PCC teams/fans/people before about their squad only to get absolutely throttled in Hershey multiple times. They have had a few teams that have had D1 guys all over the roster and gotten embarrassed.

2013- PCC was the favorite and got waxed 35-10
2016- Prep mercy rules PCC 42-7
2019- PCC up 24-17 with 246 left in the game and somehow lost to a Prep team without McCord

So again, PCC is a super solid team. Athletes everywhere. Big. Fast. Playmakers all over the place. But please forgive me for not calling them generational or elite until I see a loaded PCC team actually show up in Hershey against Prep and play in a competitive game. Maybe(hopefully) that changes this year
Calm down I'm not a PCC fan and no one isn't doubting that prep is going to be a giant favorite this year or even In CV if they get there. I'm a fan of western pa football and like this PCC team. You win, prep is the better team and this isn't a generational PCC team. Prep should "throttle" and embarrass PCC just like the past.

Last edited:
And now because I'm defending my own opinion, I feel like I'm degrading or talking down about HS kids so I can make my point. That's the last thing I want to do. I wish PCC and Prep all the health and success going forward and hope them and Prep gives the greatest Pa state title game we have ever seen
You do realize this whole debate started when I said PCC had a big win over NA and id take PCC linebackers over any teams in the state and you replied preps linebackers are better and you take prep to beat PCC by 17 points so I guess I was the one defending my opinion. I was discussing the NA game and have no idea where these comparisons to prep come from. Prep is good and they are who they are. My point after that is you can't compare the two.

Last edited:
I do think boundary schools have advantages but I also agree with you. I think all schools public and private should play one another and I don't want separation. I agree with you in my mind Harrisburg was the public school champ last year and prep the private. I was just responding to comments comparing SJP to PCC and other schools in pa. My point is you can't. Sjp has to many advantages other schools dont including the private schools. There's no out cry but it's not fare to compare prep to any high school in pa.
Total agreement. So now I'm agreeing with myself. HELP!
I've expressed that view here on the board that to compare SJP with any PA school is absurd. They quite clearly are not trying to be like any PA school. I understand their competing for 'state' titles is a sore spot with some folks. But you can always do what I've done and you mentioned by recognizing Harrisburg as the Public School Champ last season, as that is in fact what they were. Everyone can come away happy whether it's recognized in fact (trophy) or said and spoken.

Reactions: new2pa
This has been a fun thread so far (every so often there's some soul searching, tongue-in-cheek humor, "real" analysis, comical self-reflection, pleasant banter, etc.).

My two cents (as I have proposed before): It's open boundaries for everyone! Then instead of back room shenanigans and finger pointing let the most motivated, best man win.

This has been a fun thread so far (every so often there's some soul searching, tongue-in-cheek humor, "real" analysis, comical self-reflection, pleasant banter, etc.).

My two cents (as I have proposed before): It's open boundaries for everyone! Then instead of back room shenanigans and finger pointing let the most motivated, best man win.
I think this would be bad for schools. That is, if they can get any worse than they are. Competition is competition, and except for regulation that seems necessary at some un-invasive level to keep us from killing one another, I'm for it too Skinner Man.

That said, the topic has been broached on the board by some members much smarter and informed than me with strong arguments in opposition councilor. Probably need your A-game to defend such a proposition.

stalk-
"What I rarely see on this board is any mention of the substantial gulf between PCC and boundary schools they play. Where's that outcry?"
There is no "substantial gulf."

btw- Swift!!
You don't feel PCC beating NA 50-22 by 28 points........28 points........represents a substantial gulf?
If NA is the best in the west (boundary) this trickles down to other teams by default on their schedule.

You asked a question. I gave you MY opinion and the reasons for why I have that opinion. Why even ask? No matter what, you werent gonna get an answer you agreed with.

"Take IMG off the schedule.." silly statement. They are on the schedule and Prep played them as tough as anyone will all year.

I also didnt say Don Bosco or SPP were better. I CLEARLY said PCC was the better team in my eyes. I dont think they are better than St John's, IMG or Lakeland. So like I said way up above, they will be right around the 4th best team Prep will see all year. And they might fall to 5 after the Spaulding game. Depends on what they look like when they play.
Lakeland is trying to figure things out with Coach Castle retiring last year. But like some of the teams mentioned here, Bergen, DBP and others, they still have outstanding personnel in "down" years that aren't reflected in scores. That's one occasion where you almost really need to see the team (video of game, research online, etc) rather than just looking at stats and scores. The coach might change but the schedule doesn't.
In Florida and Jersey that mean you're gonna get blown away every other game with the talent other teams bring to the field every week.

You don't feel PCC beating NA 50-22 by 28 points........28 points........represents a substantial gulf?
If NA is the best in the west (boundary) this trickles down to other teams by default on their schedule.
PCC does not dominate wpial as much as SJP dominates Pa public schools

Reactions: new2pa
as i've been saying since August, PCC might be great this year, but gotta first "play the games"

and NA "the best in the west?" IDK- PR beat them decisively last yr, rematch this Friday, we will see

now- after the reg season, IF the PCC team, can decisively "win-out" then maybe yes, fans can get directions, and scout-out dinner locations in CV. No easy road- Cannon-Mac who is 4-1, PR who is the defending 5A state champ- then Penn Hills and Gateway? They will "earn their ranking" if PCC can finish 10-0
i don't think any of those teams will even slightly challenge them

it already is open boundaries, which is why it's pretty much the same teams at the top every year

Stalk- I'm gonna start a new thread on this topic
how does SJP being great make other teams great? what are they going to up their recruiting budget to compete with SJP?
to keep up w the big dog- better coaching better schemes better off-season work

Stalk- I'm gonna start a new thread on this topic

to keep up w the big dog- better coaching better schemes better off-season work
not sure state-wide, but im certain these HSs have done things different, to compete w SJP- Pine Richland, Mt Lebo, and now PCC

Reactions: Stalker
Also who has information on this peters township team. 14 points allowed through 5 games? Just crushed USC. Are they the favorite in 5A

This maybe possibly could be Peters year. No dominant team in 5A. I read in the paper they have a good young QB. Also, I believe they have several kids at PCC.

but Peters has not really played anyone really good- soon 2 6A schools and Moon, should test them more

but Peters has not really played anyone really good- soon 2 6A schools and Moon, should test them more
I agree, I still think Penn hills or pine Richland win 5A. Both have been and will be more battle tested. Don't sleep on woody high either. They have the best line in 5A in the wpial.

I agree, I still think Penn hills or pine Richland win 5A. Both have been and will be more battle tested. Don't sleep on woody high either. They have the best line in 5A in the wpial.
wpial-Northeast-home to 3 out of 5 of the last 5A state champs! crazy competition

wpial-Northeast-home to 3 out of 5 of the last 5A state champs! crazy competition
Even crazier is the last couple state champs had a few losses from other wpial teams beating them. 5A in the wpial is definitely the most stacked and competitive division.

Even crazier is the last couple state champs had a few losses from other wpial teams beating them. 5A in the wpial is definitely the most stacked and competitive division.
totally agree on Woody- might be a "sleeper favorite"

and woody v PR on Oct 20- winner likely is top 3 or 4, loser might be out of playoffs!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT