ADVERTISEMENT

QUESTION FOR ST. JOES PREP FANS

Does current QB Samaj Jones have a chance at breaking Kyle Mccords records
I doubt Jones will surpass McCord for total TD passes--McCord broke Brett Gordon's league record--and total yards passing, but I suppose he could wind up with more total yardage (passing and rushing).

McCord's stats are all the more impressive when you realize he missed the last four games of 2019 with an injury and played a much-shortened Covid season in 2020.

McCord (2883 yards passing and 35 TD passes) was a much better passer as a sophomore than Jones (1270 yards passing and 9 TD passes, though he missed three games with an injury.) I don't have McCord's running numbers, but they weren't big. Jones ran for 906 as a soph..

In his injury-shortened junior year McCord threw for 2399 yards and 31 TDs. He ran for 34. In his full junior year Jones threw for 2263 yards and 28 TDs. He ran for 641.

In the six games of his senior year McCord three for 1582 yards and 21 TDs. Rushing numbers were minimal.

So given the numbers McCord put up as a sophomore, I can't imagine Jones will catch up as a passer, but he could certainly wind up with more total yards.

The other thing you could throw into the mix is the strength of the opposition. Overall, I'd say the opposition McCord faced in his first two years (St. Frances of Baltimore, a strong St. Peter's Prep, Good Counsel of MD in his sophomore year and Marietta, St. John's of DC, IMG, a pretty good Wood team, etc. in his junior year) was probably a bit stronger than the opposition Jones has so far faced. That will not be true at all for their senior years.

Two great but very different high school QBs.

Last edited:
Hawk fans. Is schedule out yet? Thx.
Nothing yet that's in any way official. Putting together pieces, I think it'll be IMG, St. Peter's Prep (maybe at Salesianum), then a game somewhere fairly far followed by a trip to Bosco in North Jersey. After that it's PCL games, with the LaSalle game at Franklin Field.

Speaking of schedules. LaSalle is diving into the deep end, maybe too deep opening with North Penn, Malvern Prep, Harrisburg-McDevitt, Haverford School and Calvert Hall (Towson). That's quite a diverse schedule!

Reactions: lilromeo
Speaking of schedules. LaSalle is diving into the deep end, maybe too deep opening with North Penn, Malvern Prep, Harrisburg-McDevitt, Haverford School and Calvert Hall (Towson). That's quite a diverse schedule!
I think those are the same five schools they played last year when they went 2-3 against them.

Calvert Hall is not on the same level as the top teams from the DC / Baltimore area: St. Frances, DeMatha, St. John's, Good Counsel, Spalding, and Gonzaga. Didn't LaSalle once schedule a game against one of the top North Jersey schools: Bergen, Bosco, St. Peter's or St. Joe's Regional? My sense is that LaSalle has somewhat more modest ambitions than they once had.

Reactions: Bighead75
I think those are the same five schools they played last year when they went 2-3 against them.

Calvert Hall is not on the same level as the top teams from the DC / Baltimore area: St. Frances, DeMatha, St. John's, Good Counsel, Spalding, and Gonzaga. Didn't LaSalle once schedule a game against one of the top North Jersey schools: Bergen, Bosco, St. Peter's or St. Joe's Regional? My sense is that LaSalle has somewhat more modest ambitions than they once had.
Right, Calvert Hall isn't anywhere near DeMatha, OLGC etc but have elevated their game the last few with 9, 12, 9, 8-win seasons the last 5 years (0-2 covid in other). Misread schedule, thought it was at CHC.
If you go back to 2011 and 2014 you can find a series with Bergen (3) and DeMatha and some good privates in NY, then all over the place, Manheim Township, the Downingtown teams, North Penn; more local-ish stuff as mentioned in the recent writeup whereas SJP's has been far more aggressive for years.
LS is playing good teams, just more local although the series with McDevitt is great competition like North Penn and Malvern Prep.
* Roman could be exciting this year.

I was looking over a recruiting site and if I have it right SJP has 13 kids with D1 offers. Their line to me is just damn good with size and top notch coaching year in and out. I don’t see Pgh CC competing with them in the end. A new staff yes but it may not translate to a walk in the park. Yes for the wpial 6A league, which is a 5 team joke but after that it might get interesting before meeting the monster we call the prep. I’ll add several kids with d2 offers and a handful of kids who want an excellent education so play D3, rather than d2. that are just real good high school players. Going to be fun to see how it all falls this coming year.

I think it will be PCC vs SJP in the finals with a +/- 21pt win for the Prep.

Reactions: Soup13
Parkland looks to have a very good team this year especially if Tremba is healthy and the two meet. He didn't play in last year's game and is a great talent that alters the Trojans significantly.

pcc- too early to predict- but again, imo if they go undefeated until playoffs, i'd give them a fighting chance- talent- wow, as of now, i know of at least 5 kids w power 5 offers- that is not common, most teams don't have 1

Reactions: new2pa
I think ‘24 makes for a good year. Watching SJP last year in 6A I thought they was very explosive. They managed to run through PA only losing a few linemen on offense. They’ll return every skill player on offense. Now defense they lost a very leaders but they are talent rich over there. If the West can manage to score 50 and get a few stops they could make it a game. They averaged 47ppg last yrs playoffs. ‘24 They’ll lose a bunch (players) next yr.

i agree- but im gonna stick to my guns- if pcc wins-out, they might challenge SJP!! gonna be fun to follow

another tid bit- i saw a link on espn for their top 300- i did not count but here are a few pcc and sjp kids on there- i looked at 247 Pa rankings for '24- sure not perfect, just like maxprep is not perfect- but 247 top 40...
4-SJP
4-PCC

maybe not a big talent mismatch?

i agree- but im gonna stick to my guns- if pcc wins-out, they might challenge SJP!! gonna be fun to follow

another tid bit- i saw a link on espn for their top 300- i did not count but here are a few pcc and sjp kids on there- i looked at 247 Pa rankings for '24- sure not perfect, just like maxprep is not perfect- but 247 top 40...
4-SJP
4-PCC

That’s a big “if” IMO. PCC regular season schedule does not look fun. Big question mark is line play. Gotta have a good line to beat SJP

Consider experience may come into play as well. This is basically the same kids who lost to Mt Lebo 2 yrs ago. in the state finals. Also, it’s early. There’s normally a kid who shows up to sjp door looking for a home around these times. I’m just waiting for the news to break.

4-SJP
4-PCC

2020 - here is where I saw the offers

I stand corrected. SJP had 15 with d1 offers, that includes fcs, and the military academy’s.
Pgh cc has alot too I think 6 in same category. Pgh central line is pretty big but not the 285-290lbs the prep has. To me could be difference. Speca has played hurt the last 2 years and last year he did not perform well, in two years two blown labrum’s I believe. So I understand, he played though pain and was limited but knowing how it feels to come back from shoulder issues as a LB you are rarely the same and injury happens again in alot of cases. Him being 100 per cent to me is huge for D. Cole young was out standing last year, why he made fab22, he only getting better as well. Ass kicker who is very athletic. Yuhas going to Pitt is very quick and athletic good but only 250 if that. Gonzales a flat stud, they used him and put him in in a lot of one one situations but with prep they can handle that and have some size to negate all the jump balls. I though the Pgh cc qb was outstanding last year, pass and run, decision making, maybe only 5 picks. Both running backs were young, quick, ran hard, one was banged up the end of year. Throw in settles at wr who can fly. They certainly are very loaded. Palko first year they were pretty loaded with size too and were only 7-5 I think. So new staff does not always equal instant success. Will win wpial easily but beyond that a question mark to me. Will be fun to watch.

Reactions: new2pa
2020 - here is where I saw the offers

I stand corrected. SJP had 15 with d1 offers, that includes fcs, and the military academy’s.
Pgh cc has alot too I think 6 in same category. Pgh central line is pretty big but not the 285-290lbs the prep has. To me could be difference. Speca has played hurt the last 2 years and last year he did not perform well, in two years two blown labrum’s I believe. So I understand, he played though pain and was limited but knowing how it feels to come back from shoulder issues as a LB you are rarely the same and injury happens again in alot of cases. Him being 100 per cent to me is huge for D. Cole young was out standing last year, why he made fab22, he only getting better as well. Ass kicker who is very athletic. Yuhas going to Pitt is very quick and athletic good but only 250 if that. Gonzales a flat stud, they used him and put him in in a lot of one one situations but with prep they can handle that and have some size to negate all the jump balls. I though the Pgh cc qb was outstanding last year, pass and run, decision making, maybe only 5 picks. Both running backs were young, quick, ran hard, one was banged up the end of year. Throw in settles at wr who can fly. They certainly are very loaded. Palko first year they were pretty loaded with size too and were only 7-5 I think. So new staff does not always equal instant success. Will win wpial easily but beyond that a question mark to me. Will be fun to watch.
Soup -
Greta info - hope you’re well - there’s a sleeper on here and it’s Roman with 14 - if they can get everyone on same page, they will be very good - they’ve added some interesting coaching pieces as well.

Soup -
Greta info - hope you’re well - there’s a sleeper on here and it’s Roman with 14 - if they can get everyone on same page, they will be very good - they’ve added some interesting coaching pieces as well.
Roxy - All well on this side of the state. hope the same with you and the family brother.
That is very interesting, they looked strong at times last year. I think Keita Crispina landed on their staff. I thought he did a great job at the prep. I think LaSalle has a handful of d1 as well, qb is young and has some d1 offers already. Will be a great year. I’ll reach out next trip back out in Philly.

Roxy - All well on this side of the state. hope the same with you and the family brother.
That is very interesting, they looked strong at times last year. I think Keita Crispina landed on their staff. I thought he did a great job at the prep. I think LaSalle has a handful of d1 as well, qb is young and has some d1 offers already. Will be a great year. I’ll reach out next trip back out in Philly.
Yes sir - hit me up, would love to break bread, balls and beer - Gumby and I were just discussing that the other day … I mentioned on another thread that Crespina is very influential throughout the city leagues and could tip the balance of talent to Roman - we will see, that a lot of D1 offers

Sounds like a plan brother. Ye old ale house will be a destination for sure. Keita definitely has a lot to offer in the defensive backfield and can bring in additional talent with his presence throughout the city as you mentioned, add the closing of many pcl schools. The kids need a new home. Added competition makes it more interesting. I also believe lasalle is on the uptick, have a very solid core.

Nothing yet that's in any way official. Putting together pieces, I think it'll be IMG, St. Peter's Prep (maybe at Salesianum), then a game somewhere fairly far followed by a trip to Bosco in North Jersey. After that it's PCL games, with the LaSalle game at Franklin Field.
Tulla, other than John Runyan who are other D-1 lineman the Prep has produced over the last 5 years or so ? I agree that their o line is very talented every year yet I dont hear about any of them heading to major programs. Thanks

A little off topic, but as a P-R fan, I just shook my head when I saw McCord and Harrison Jr. all over twitter for the OSU Spring Game. I actually felt good about the Rams bad loss in 2018... :)

Tulla, other than John Runyan who are other D-1 lineman the Prep has produced over the last 5 years or so ? I agree that their o line is very talented every year yet I dont hear about any of them heading to major programs. Thanks
Brad Hand is at Rutgers. Ryan Bryce on the defensive line went to Army. Matt Lombardi is at Tulane. They also have had a bunch at Delaware, Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Colgate.

A little off topic, but as a P-R fan, I just shook my head when I saw McCord and Harrison Jr. all over twitter for the OSU Spring Game. I actually felt good about the Rams bad loss in 2018... :)
To be fair Pine only let up 37 points that game, which was actually pretty good considering SJP was averaging 43 points per game that year. The real problem was SJP Defense

Realistically If NA doesn’t blow it against Seneca that year, ‘we’ likely face SJP that year. I would have like to see Porter JR. Vs Harrison JR.

Brad Hand is at Rutgers. Ryan Bryce on the defensive line went to Army. Matt Lombardi is at Tulane. They also have had a bunch at Delaware, Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Colgate.
Small correction. It's Brad Harris, not Brad Hand. Rover's right about the colleges most of the Prep linemen have gone to. I'd just add that Nick Yagodich is at Harvard, Alec Treadway is at Amherst, Giambi Nesbitt is at St. Francis, George Reinhold is going to Davidson, and Joseph McMahon is going to Albany. James Heard who was at SJP for his junior year and Richard James who was at SJP for his first three years are both now at West Virginia, as far as I know. Some of the linemen coming back next year (Steele, Towns, Roy, Bailey-Green, etc.) will definitely have offers to play at high-level D1 schools.

If you include linebackers, there are, of course, the Trotters (Jeremiah at Clemson and Josiah at WVU), Nilles (Air Force), Nicholl (Kent State), and three of the Johnson brothers at Princeton.

What you see in it all is that different guys for different reasons go to different kinds of schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT