ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day

HSFB99

Oct 4, 2020

It is pretty amazing SJP had 11 Division 1 players sign today. 7 FBS and 4 FCS. Keep in mind these are only the seniors. They have 3 of the top 6 prospects in PA 2025 class.

Congrats to these kids on a great year and I wish them the best of luck at the next level.

From the Lehigh Valley on signing day -

Emmaus defensive end Mario Landino signs with Indiana, after initially committing to James Madison, but will follow Curt Cignetti to the Big Ten.

Parkland running back Trey Tremba signs with Army West Point

Nazareth will send two guys to Lafayette in offensive lineman Sean Kinney and wide receiver Mason Kuehner

Northampton sends Caden Henritzy to new FCS member Stonehill. Offensive lineman Colby Reph is committed to Lehigh, but will sign in February.

Pen Argyl wideout Damian Tyminski will join Henritzy at Stonehill while Palmerton quarterback Matt Machalik joins Reph at Lehigh.

Bethlehem Catholic offensive tackle Sammy Ayache also signed with Lehigh.

Emmaus offensive guard Ben Mercado signed with Sacred Heart.

Allentown Central Catholic safety Nasir McLean signed with Brown.

The only guy I know about that sounds like an FBS February signed up here is Fynn McDonald, the offensive tackle from Allentown Central Catholic, who I think is a lean to go play for Biff Poggi at Charlotte.

Next year you may see a little more FBS caliber kids with Braheem Battles (ACC DT), Jareel Calhoun (ACC WR), Dwayne Kelly (ACC WR), Alec Olah (Southern Lehigh WR/TE), Caleb Newsome (Nazareth WR/DB), Tanner Wheeler (Freedom DE), Bryer Reinhard (Northwestern Lehigh DE), Evan Saylor (Parkland OT), Carter Troxell (Whitehall LB), Justin Peluso (Freedom LB), and Jasir Frutchey (Easton WR/FS).

It is pretty amazing SJP had 11 Division 1 players sign today. 7 FBS and 4 FCS. Keep in mind these are only the seniors. They have 3 of the top 6 prospects in PA 2025 class.

Congrats to these kids on a great year and I wish them the best of luck at the next level.
It's amazing how many very talented football players will travel for a Catholic education. Pat natduzzi needs to hire Tim roken because Pitt hasn't been able to recruit for $hit. An over weight phil jerkovich isn't going to cut it. Sjp has been out recruiting Pitt.

Reactions: Bighead75
This has got to be the most talented single class in Pennsylvania history. And I thought Central had a great class, I guess the phrase “there’s always a bigger fish” applies here.

Reactions: Stalker
I’ve never heard of 11 Division 1 signees in a SINGLE class. Has this ever happened in PA before? Again, that doesn’t even count the rest of the roster (which has double digit underclassmen with offers - some more “commitable” than others). It really is remarkable.

Did the SOL 6A have 11 division signees throughout the entire conference? How about all of District 1 6A (I’m sure they did, but I’m curious on the numbers).

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of 11 Division 1 signees in a SINGLE class. Has this ever happened in PA before? Again, that doesn’t even count the rest of the roster (which has double digit underclassmen with offers - some more “commitable” than others). It really is remarkable.

Did the SOL 6A have 11 division signees throughout the entire conference? How about all of District 1 6A (I’m sure they did, but I’m curious on the numbers).
Not sure what the final numbers will look like and I'm sure that I'm going to be missing someone, but here's who I have so far for D1, including athletes with offers but didn't commit yet:

CB East - Donnelly, UPenn (Collins would be an FCS guy but I'm assuming he'll wrestle in college?)
CB West - McFadden, Navy (he's been offered to play football and run track, but I'm not sure what he will be doing) - Mulligan, FCS offers not committed
CB South - Goetter, Monmouth - Moscowitz, FCS offers not committed
Neshaminy - Soska, Lehigh
Cheltenham - Tre Mcleod, Charlotte

This has got to be the most talented single class in Pennsylvania history. And I thought Central had a great class, I guess the phrase “there’s always a bigger fish” applies here.

Vikiing, what's your take on the state of Central football with the perceived short comings this year?

Also, at a Christmas Party last night I heard the Sullivan kid going to Michigan "dropped out" of PCC after they lost. Was supposedly "going to a cyber HS at the same time." I didn't understand what that means. Have you heard anything?

Not sure what the final numbers will look like and I'm sure that I'm going to be missing someone, but here's who I have so far for D1, including athletes with offers but didn't commit yet:

CB East - Donnelly, UPenn (Collins would be an FCS guy but I'm assuming he'll wrestle in college?)
CB West - McFadden, Navy (he's been offered to play football and run track, but I'm not sure what he will be doing) - Mulligan, FCS offers not committed
CB South - Goetter, Monmouth - Moscowitz, FCS offers not committed
Neshaminy - Soska, Lehigh
Cheltenham - Tre Mcleod, Charlotte
I thought Cooper Taylor from CB West would be offered as a DB.Carroll from CBEast ,a Junior has been offered by several Schools including Penn State.

Reactions: bucksftball
I thought Cooper Taylor from CB West would be offered as a DB.Carroll from CBEast ,a Junior has been offered by several Schools including Penn State.
Cooper is committed to Washington and Lee in Virginia. Very high academic D3 program.

Reactions: lilromeo
There's a pile from 3 but I'm working on another mini project (ranking) to close out 23. Here's a few.
LB Zach Brown 6-3 225, CD East, Indy, soph
Qb Alex Erby Steel Hi, Ohio U
OT Evan Bushong 6-4 295, Central Dauphin, JMU
OT Anthony Robsock 6-6 275, Central Dauphin, Md
TE/DE Nick Slogik 6-5 230, McDevitt, ECU
Wr Chase Regan, McDevitt, JMU
CB Jaire Rawlison, McDevitt, Kent St

Thier junior and sophomore class is just as good, those Catholics really love their football and will travel a long distance to play it.

Vikiing, what's your take on the state of Central football with the perceived short comings this year?

Also, at a Christmas Party last night I heard the Sullivan kid going to Michigan "dropped out" of PCC after they lost. Was supposedly "going to a cyber HS at the same time." I didn't understand what that means. Have you heard anything?
My take on the program is that it needs fixed fast. Centrals has won 2 wpial championships in the past 7 years. In this watered down conference, it’s just not good enough. This was supposed to be the class to get to the state championship but just couldn’t.

I haven’t heard anything about the Sullivan situation. The only controversial thing I heard was a player throwing a punch to a coach after the wpial championship loss.

Reactions: new2pa
My take on the program is that it needs fixed fast. Centrals has won 2 wpial championships in the past 7 years. In this watered down conference, it’s just not good enough. This was supposed to be the class to get to the state championship but just couldn’t.

I haven’t heard anything about the Sullivan situation. The only controversial thing I heard was a player throwing a punch to a coach after the wpial championship loss.
Wow, if a player threw a punch at a coach, any school, that speaks to a toxic situation that may need a thorough house cleaning.

• Wow
Reactions: new2pa
Viking: I had not heard that (punch) WOW.

Stalk: Agree with you.

I really thought these coaches led by Lehmeier would be the ones to get it together, but it seems like not even close - and maybe worse than ever with a new shiny coat. And counting SV, not a great 3 year stretch. Was way off in what I thought.

Telling, maybe, that the other group at Mars seems to me making headway in improving that program on both sides of the ball and in the W/L column.

I’ve never heard of 11 Division 1 signees in a SINGLE class. Has this ever happened in PA before?
They have 5 power 5 guys which has been done before - ECP(2000) - Charles Rush PSU, Dale Williams - PITT, Joe Dipre - PITT, Jawan Walker - PITT, Ed Hinkel - Iowa. I don't know what ECP had after that.

there have been recent years in the wpial where the entire wpial only had about 10 D1 signees

could this SJP team beat recent wpial all star teams?

there have been recent years in the wpial where the entire wpial only had about 10 D1 signees

could this SJP team beat recent wpial all star teams?
One district's All Stars (just one?) wouldn't stand a chance against St. Joe's. Check out their game against IMG's All State (and then some!) team.

They have 5 power 5 guys which has been done before - ECP(2000) - Charles Rush PSU, Dale Williams - PITT, Joe Dipre - PITT, Jawan Walker - PITT, Ed Hinkel - Iowa. I don't know what ECP had after that.
Jawan Walker was a class behind the other four guys, so they only had four Power 5 in that class. SJP’s number would jump considerably with juniors.

I can do some work later today at least to pull out other state champs that have had huge FBS hauls. Off the top of my head, that 2007 PCC team had a ton, as did their ‘04 group - both sent lots of kids to Pitt.

One district's All Stars (just one?) wouldn't stand a chance against St. Joe's. Check out their game against IMG's All State (and then some!) team.
are you saying that you couldn't assemble a senior class to go toe to toe with SJP or you couldn't assemble a team of 9-12 from a specific district to go toe to toe with SJP?

are you saying that you couldn't assemble a senior class to go toe to toe with SJP or you couldn't assemble a team of 9-12 from a specific district to go toe to toe with SJP?
Steel. I'm saying both. Anything is possible but yes, that’s what I believe. I’m basing that on how SJP almost beat a National/All State team in IMG. Also basing that on seeing nothing special from the 6A/5A ranks from D7 since Pine Richland in 17. Also consider how they blew out eastern reps Nazareth and CB South.

* Pitt CC has the greatest collection of stars you’ll see on many teams….that can’t get on the same page.
* North Allegheny’s best team in years was down 37-10 at the half in a 45-23 loss.
* SJP’s handing Florida power Lakeland (10-3) who went onto win the FL-4S title and Maryland power Archbishop Spalding (10-2), winning the MIAA-A title says a lot. Spalding also beat ‘B’ champ Concordia Prep (11-1) earlier in season 32-31. Spalding’s other loss was to against Imhotep 21-17. From there, you just connect the dotes.
* I think it’s clear from the team’s performance and the players the guys listed above that this year’s edition of Hawks was not just special, they were extraordinary.

Realistically, the scenario is way out of bounds anyway, unless you really believe you can gather 9-12 guys under what coach for a few weeks practice to play St. Joe’s? You can go WAY off the rails dealing in hypotheticals like that!

I know people at Central and they haven't heard that and there's nothing online about it.
Steel. I'm saying both. Anything is possible but yes, that’s what I believe. I’m basing that on how SJP almost beat a National/All State team in IMG. Also basing that on seeing nothing special from the 6A/5A ranks from D7 since Pine Richland in 17. Also consider how they blew out eastern reps Nazareth and CB South.

* Pitt CC has the greatest collection of stars you’ll see on many teams….that can’t get on the same page.
* North Allegheny’s best team in years was down 37-10 at the half in a 45-23 loss.
* SJP’s handing Florida power Lakeland (10-3) who went onto win the FL-4S title and Maryland power Archbishop Spalding (10-2), winning the MIAA-A title says a lot. Spalding also beat ‘B’ champ Concordia Prep (11-1) earlier in season 32-31. Spalding’s other loss was to against Imhotep 21-17. From there, you just connect the dotes.
* I think it’s clear from the team’s performance and the players the guys listed above that this year’s edition of Hawks was not just special, they were extraordinary.

Realistically, the scenario is way out of bounds anyway, unless you really believe you can gather 9-12 guys under what coach for a few weeks practice to play St. Joe’s? You can go WAY off the rails dealing in hypotheticals like that!
2019 PCC had a nice team and this year PCC team had 9 D1 guys in all four classes (freshman to senior class.) SJP had 11 in just their senior class alone. Thier recruiting and emphasis on football is unlike anything we have seen. Sjp is on an uneven playing field then even the other Catholic schools in pa. With the advantages they are given they are expected to win and really isn't impressive. They have different sets of rules. Now Alliquppa a single A public school playing up 3 classes and dominating, now that is impressive.

Last edited:
I know people at Central and they haven't heard that and there's nothing online about it.
2019 PCC had a nice team and this year PCC team had 9 D1 guys in all four classes (freshman to senior class.) SJP had 11 in just their senior class alone. Thier recruiting and emphasis on football is unlike anything we have seen. Sjp is on an uneven playing field then even the other Catholic schools in pa. With the advantages they are given they are expected to win and really isn't impressive. They have different sets of rules. Now Alliquppa a single A public school playing up 3 classes and dominating, now that is impressive.
2019 Central won WPIAL based off their talent alone. The offense that year was operating at about a 5th grade level.

Since everyone has conceded that this years Hawks team is the best this state has seen, I have a hypothetical:

If you could combine two teams from the past to take down this SJP team, who would you choose? For example, could 2012 NA combined with 2000 Erie Cathedral prep be able to beat them? Also not allowed to use other SJP teams

Also remember this is just 11 out of their 28 seniors. The 11 included their 4th rb who signed to Robert Morris. Their 3rd rb will sign in Feb currently holds offers from Robert Morris temple st Francis and a few others. This 11 doesn’t include their corner who will most likely play fcs also. I think both tackles who will play fcs. The number could be around 16-17 div 1 players by February.

I misunderstood your argument.

I thought you were saying if I collected the best talent from grades 9-12 in D7 that SJP would be favored in the sense they (D7 kids) were all recruited to play for a single school.

Essentially that isn't too far off the advantage SJP has compared to the rest of the state.

NA had an excellent team this year but if I built an all star team just from the D7 1A and 2A teams, I would favor the all star team. Give me the 2-3 best players from Canevin, Steel Valley, Clairton, Wash High, OLSH, Beaver Falls, Union, etc etc. and I can probably beat virtually everyone in the state minus SJP lol.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying SJP 's accomplishments aren't "impressive" because of how they recruit so much talent. Yes--as I and others have said many times--not having boundaries is a big advantage, but if you're suggesting that SJP doesn't develop players, that all the seniors who have D1 "offers" or who have made commitments to D1 schools walked into the school as surefire D1 guys, and that it's "not impressive" for SJP coaches to build a cohesive and internally competitive but apparently conflict-free program with guys coming from very different places and backgrounds and with very high (sometimes unrealistic) expectations--perhaps the #3 or the #4 running back, or the #2 QB, or the #3 or #4 receiver--you're simply wrong.

There are lots of potential pitfalls for SJP's program and there are many who would like to see them fall into one of the pits. I'd say it's something of a high wire act that is a lot harder than it may look (to some).

Reactions: MC1975 and lilromeo
DripDrop, to clarify my agreeing with you, I don't agree what SJP has done is not impressive. I know it's been mentioned before but not enough about the impact of their coaching staff.
That's an All-Star/State staff the way they consistently get kids from different areas in unique circumstance to be on the same page. We all know they play by different rules. Rules accepted by the PIAA.
A point to consider that is NOT mentioned enough if at all is they have a different mission. Programs like McDevitt-Hbg, Pitt CC, Allen CC, Beca don't share that mission. That doesn't make them better or worse. Just different. Those schools and others could mimic if they wanted to. They don't.
And amen on programs like Aliquippa, Steel High, Clairton, etc, that put out a consistent product under difficult circumstance.

DripDrop, to clarify my agreeing with you, I don't agree what SJP has done is not impressive. I know it's been mentioned before but not enough about the impact of their coaching staff.
That's an All-Star/State staff the way they consistently get kids from different areas in unique circumstance to be on the same page. We all know they play by different rules. Rules accepted by the PIAA.
A point to consider that is NOT mentioned enough if at all is they have a different mission. Programs like McDevitt-Hbg, Pitt CC, Allen CC, Beca don't share that mission. That doesn't make them better or worse. Just different. Those schools and others could mimic if they wanted to. They don't.
And amen on programs like Aliquippa, Steel High, Clairton, etc, that put out a consistent product under difficult circumstance.
Stalk I just think if you're able to assemble an all star team from different states and heavily populated areas and get the best players at that and beat up on public schools is it really that impressive? It would be like img winning the Florida state championship. Would that be impressive? I've always said if the western part of the state wanted a sjp open a private school in beaver county. Could you imagine pulling the best players from Alliquppa, central valley, beaver falls, any surrounding areas. Opening a private school in Hermitage pa in Mercer county could creat another power house. They could pull from Farrell, Sharon, hickory, and all the Youngstown oh schools.

Last edited:
Stalk I just think if you're able to assemble an all star team from different states and heavily populated areas and get the best players at that and beat up on public schools is it really that impressive? It would be like img winning the Florida state championship. Would that be impressive? I've always said if the western part of the state wanted a sjp open a private school in beaver county. Could you imagine pulling the best players from Alliquppa, central valley, beaver falls, any surrounding areas. Opening a private school in Hermitage pa in Mercer county could creat another power house. They could pull from Farrell, Sharon, hickory, and all the Youngstown oh schools.
DripDrop. By impressive, I meant how consistently the coaches put a quality product on the field as measured against teams more their equal; IMG 14-17, Erasmus Hall-NY 14-7, Zaga-DC 31-21, Milton-Ga 21-28, Marietta Ga 17-21, St. John's-DC, 34-30, OLGC 34-27-Md, STA 37-48....where they in fact lose games but more often come out on the plus side of .500. That was a quick glance of most of the high-end out-of-state powers played recently.

That they routinely beat PA's top public schools is not a surprise. Unfortunately, we feel too often it's going to turn out that way. From my neighborhood, the 2019-Central Dauphin (12-3) was a good football team, swamping Downingtown West (13-2) 65-44 in the semi before losing to SJP 35-13. 2022-Harrisburg (11-3) was also a pretty good team that was pounded by Hawks 42-7.
So while it's not impressive (unexpected) that they beat them, my view is the product put on the field that beat representative teams from the state is impressive; how good they are, tackling-blocking, pre snap penalties and other tell-tale signs of good coaching. That's what I'm impressed with.

DripDrop. By impressive, I meant how consistently the coaches put a quality product on the field as measured against teams more their equal; IMG 14-17, Erasmus Hall-NY 14-7, Zaga-DC 31-21, Milton-Ga 21-28, Marietta Ga 17-21, St. John's-DC, 34-30, OLGC 34-27-Md, STA 37-48....where they in fact lose games but more often come out on the plus side of .500. That was a quick glance of most of the high-end out-of-state powers played recently.

That they routinely beat PA's top public schools is not a surprise. Unfortunately, we feel too often it's going to turn out that way. From my neighborhood, the 2019-Central Dauphin (12-3) was a good football team, swamping Downingtown West (13-2) 65-44 in the semi before losing to SJP 35-13. 2022-Harrisburg (11-3) was also a pretty good team that was pounded by Hawks 42-7.
So while it's not impressive (unexpected) that they beat them, my view is the product put on the field that beat representative teams from the state is impressive; how good they are, tackling-blocking, pre snap penalties and other tell-tale signs of good coaching. That's what I'm impressed with.
I agree with that. To complete with img is impressive but I knew they have the talent to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT