ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2021

Last game I saw a team come back from 21, it was PR against governor Mifflin. Tables turned. Incredible

if PCC’s offense can keep that style of play up, they could be a threat. Very young though.

P-R - not sure what to say. Up 21 at home. And can’t score at all in second half.
Ah I remeber that mifflin game. Arguable why coach K and company were an elite staff. I thought mifflin made some questionable calls tho, particularly why their stud back only got the ball on pitches. I get he was very effective running that all season, but you’d think they’d have other ways to get him the ball. Also they stop running him the second half because PR had the pitch play sniffed out. That allowed Pr to crawl back into it.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen PCC come back when down like that, they were totally reeling and PR just throws them a life preserver lol. I think they’re in the same boat as SV with the offense, gonna take time to really get clicking with it being such a late addition to their team. But they definitely have better players no doubt.
PR came out smoking offensively, running tempo for the first time this season and slinging it down field, but it seems like when they got past the initial script of plays they couldn’t get anything going. Eastburn who was effective on the ground early went down as well. QB and WR are not on the same page with each other. QB tries to force it on first read and WR hasn’t even finished the route practically, or WR wasn’t ready to make the catch. That seems to be a constant theme now. Qb has great arm strength and accuracy, just needs to make better decisions. Oline blocking hasn’t helped much either. I think what’s really gonna make some people’s blood boil is that I don’t think pcc really did anything special offensively. Started running #4 off tackle and PR had no answer what so ever. With how big and talented PR is in the trenches, it’s very disappointing to see them just gashed like that.
Overall though up 28-7 and you can’t finish it out? Just a big yikes all the way around, and the pressure just got even greater on this new staff. Gotta think if this team doesn’t go coach less for two months in the spring they’d be better prepared, and better conditioned. Hell, having a full staff and people up in the booth would help tremendously right now, instead of flag football coach and a data analytics guy who was a back up at NA lol

Reactions: new2pa
I realize Coach K was special, unique even. Per that, is this the end of PR football at least for the near future....(2-3 years) until they get a coach or is this the coach?
Too bad (the decline) if so. It was refreshing seeing a public school other than SCA dominate and be on a special trajectory vis-a vis....CB West.

The small schools are still doing it like Clairton, Quips, Rochester, etc, etc but NA and many other 5A-6A "name" Wpial teams have dropped base of supporters, particularly now after all this stuff happened the past few mo
I realize Coach K was special, unique even. Per that, is this the end of PR football at least for the near future....(2-3 years) until they get a coach or is this the coach?
Too bad (the decline) if so. It was refreshing seeing a public school other than SCA dominate and be on a special trajectory vis-a vis....CB West.

The small schools are still doing it like Clairton, Quips, Rochester, etc, etc but NA and many other 5A-6A "name" Wpial teams have dropped off.
I think it all depends on how this school board election plays out in a couple months here. Truth be told the current one along with the upper administration was not a fan of coach k for a long time (if you scroll way back to the 2018 thread for Pr football, you’ll see how they tried to get rid of him back then too). There are many things that can be speculated on, but it’s generally thought the conseus is that they don’t like how big football is around Pr, they think it’s a distraction from school and a waste of resources. They could care less about any athletics in PR really. It really shows if you’ve actually went there in the past decade and played a sport. If they win the 4 seats, which is likely, and find common ground with the one guy who’s been on the fence this whole time, they can rule a majority of the board. That’s huge not just for football but for the district, the super attendant gets everything he throws down passed unanimously.

It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out, but I don’t see campos staying more than a year. He shouldn’t have been hired in the first place, anouther (intentional) major blunder that the kids have to suffer for. Coach Jon ledonne from penn hills applied with a full staff ready to go, same with former PR assistant Ed Malinowski. Not only would they be ready to go out of the gate, these are championship winning coaches with the experience to back it up. Both would’ve been 100 times better than what PR has. Campos struggled to even put a staff together for weeks, and it’s basically a hodge podge of former PR back ups and other random faces. Not good. Clearly that 2 months off the field and no 7v7 is affecting everything. Also not properly conditioned. Multiple kids look to be out with injuries now. Their whole team practically went down with cramps in 65 degree weather last week. Campos and company has given this new board in waiting more than enough ammunition to say he isn’t the guy.
As far as I can see, no major players have transferred to another school or just quit. Truthfully, I think they can take a down year and get back to rolling again with a proper staff and offseason. This team is talented 9-12. Size everywhere, and they got some kids that can end up developing into some nice wideouts with speed. I’d love to hear others thoughts on this as well.

Jacky, I agree with what you said about Campos 1 and done. But I’m not very confident that Coach K and his staff can ever get back together. His 3 offensive coaches are elsewhere have success with the P-R formula and young players. 3 main defensive coaches aren’t coaching. And while still good, the talent isn’t going to be like it was in 2020 or this year. 7 or 8 kids playing FBS or FCS ball in those groups.

Jacky, I agree with what you said about Campos 1 and done. But I’m not very confident that Coach K and his staff can ever get back together. His 3 offensive coaches are elsewhere have success with the P-R formula and young players. 3 main defensive coaches aren’t coaching. And while still good, the talent isn’t going to be like it was in 2020 or this year. 7 or 8 kids playing FBS or FCS ball in those groups.
There was gonna be change regardless, guys deciding to not coach or take other jobs before this happened. Plus coach k almost went to Pitt. But yeah I’d agree it’s unrealistic to think the old staff would come back. Honestly though it wouldn’t surprise me to see any former assistant apply if the position is indeed reopened next year. I believe though It probably sets up perfectly for someone like ledonne to take over, who has a younger son coming through Pr who plays football. Something else I find interesting is mike white continues throwing out about the school board elections and the position potentially being up opened up in all his articles about PR.

Bring back coach K!!! It's painful watching PR football this year. First Harrisburg and now central Catholic.

At the end of the day, the coaches are failing the players.

You can out work your opponent in the first half and come out and lay an egg in the second and expect to win.

If PR can not make in-game adjustments, they are toast,

The players have proved they can play with the anyone until adjustments are needed to be made, they just need some more ammo.

At the end of the day, the coaches are failing the players.

You can out work your opponent in the first half and come out and lay an egg in the second and expect to win.

If PR can not make in-game adjustments, they are toast,

The players have proved they can play with the anyone until adjustments are needed to be made, they just need some more ammo.
Where do they find that ammo?

I think it all depends on how this school board election plays out in a couple months here. Truth be told the current one along with the upper administration was not a fan of coach k for a long time (if you scroll way back to the 2018 thread for Pr football, you’ll see how they tried to get rid of him back then too). There are many things that can be speculated on, but it’s generally thought the conseus is that they don’t like how big football is around Pr, they think it’s a distraction from school and a waste of resources. They could care less about any athletics in PR really. It really shows if you’ve actually went there in the past decade and played a sport. If they win the 4 seats, which is likely, and find common ground with the one guy who’s been on the fence this whole time, they can rule a majority of the board. That’s huge not just for football but for the district, the super attendant gets everything he throws down passed unanimously.

It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out, but I don’t see campos staying more than a year. He shouldn’t have been hired in the first place, anouther (intentional) major blunder that the kids have to suffer for. Coach Jon ledonne from penn hills applied with a full staff ready to go, same with former PR assistant Ed Malinowski. Not only would they be ready to go out of the gate, these are championship winning coaches with the experience to back it up. Both would’ve been 100 times better than what PR has. Campos struggled to even put a staff together for weeks, and it’s basically a hodge podge of former PR back ups and other random faces. Not good. Clearly that 2 months off the field and no 7v7 is affecting everything. Also not properly conditioned. Multiple kids look to be out with injuries now. Their whole team practically went down with cramps in 65 degree weather last week. Campos and company has given this new board in waiting more than enough ammunition to say he isn’t the guy.
As far as I can see, no major players have transferred to another school or just quit. Truthfully, I think they can take a down year and get back to rolling again with a proper staff and offseason. This team is talented 9-12. Size everywhere, and they got some kids that can end up developing into some nice wideouts with speed. I’d love to hear others thoughts on this as well.
I hear you JACKY and thanks. But wouldn't hiring LaDonna be the equivalent of reinstating Coach K (a successful coach)....unless it was absolutely a personality issues with K. And who in hell would want to go there with the current admin? Kids won't play for a dolt (I'm trying to stop saying jerk off), numbers will drop, transfers and injuries increase in such poor shape to fulfil-fuel admin's mission.
If Campos was an intentional blunder hire, seems it's only a matter of time until football is dropped. What else can you take from such a move. And now with covid politicized to the point of closings, cancellations and postponements being predictable, who knows how far they will take it.

Last edited:
The ammo would be "adjustments and communication". It seems nothing happens as far as that goes.

Looked like like "high 5's" only.

P-R has Upper St Clair this week. If they play like they did vs PCC, they should come out with thwin.

However, their defense needs to step up after giving up nearly 500 total yards to PCC.

P-R has Upper St Clair this week. If they play like they did vs PCC, they should come out with thwin.

However, their defense needs to step up after giving up nearly 500 total yards to PCC.
You said earlier that USC has issues with intensity and toughness. Has that changed in their early games?

Bummer, I haven’t been able to see much of them. It they beat Baldwin who is 0-3 and Greensburg CC who is a 1A school. Lebo beat them pretty good 36-13 or so. People are hyping Lebo - they have a good senior class. But they really haven’t beaten anyone either - Bethel Park who was 0-9 last year and Peters who is good but nearly a complete rebuild from 2020.

Soup used to post a lot about south hills teams may know more. My guy says if Boyd plays as well as he did in first half, they can win easily. If not, it will be close.

that reminds me - one of the huge difference between this P-R team and previous ones is that QB completion percentage is at or below 50% instead of better than 65 or 70%. Great when things are rolling (first half PCC), very bad when they aren’t (second half PCC). They are putting up lots of yards, but efficiency is way lower IMO.

Last edited:
Rumor - can anyone confirm.

Mellis (WR/DB) and Eastburn (RB/DB) both out. That's 2 of their 4 most dynamic players.

Gonna come down to Boyd, Gochis, Hasley and the rest of the young WR's - Rudolph and Gelly.

PRTV is streaming

Boyd INT
USC TD
pR score on Palmieri TD
USC INT
Boyd to Gochis TD

14-7 PR 3:-7 Q1

USC has a few decent players, but they seem content with being a .500 at best team. The problem is, they're not really coached all that well. Their QB getting rid of the ball while getting sacked led to two INT's tonight, which I have never seen happen at P-R. I predicted that the game would've been roughly 49-7 because P-R's offense is starting to roll, and Boyd is looking more like his predecessors each week. Plus the running game looked great tonight as well. The defensive line looked great as well and that should be key with the lack of size Gateway has on their line, but like you said new2pa, I hope Kerns is alright. That would be a brutal loss.

Anyways, congrats to Steve Campos on his first win tonight, and let's look forward to next Friday!

A little off-topic, but did anybody see the blowouts in 6A tonight? That's ridiculous!

6A has 4 teams. We will start to learn something about them next week. PCC vs NA.
NA has a history of beating PCC in regular season. Finally a decent gsme.

Reactions: bummer01
6A has 4 teams. We will start to learn something about them next week. PCC vs NA.
NA has a history of beating PCC in regular season. Finally a decent gsme.
The week after features Seneca Valley at PCC and NA at Mt. Lebo. Those are pretty much the only games in that classification that will mean anything come playoff time.

The thing is… even if 5A and 6a were combined, it wouldn’t matter much. PR will be worse next year and the big 5A teams all lost to 4a teams this year. I’m not taking moon over any of the big guys in 6A. It’s gonna be PCC NA and maybe Lebo and SV.

Isaiah Kerns, starting center and defensive lineman is out for the year with a torn ACL.

Tough break for Kearns, Pine has had a pretty good record with centers, Goode (?), Trant, Dorundo, Oneil, Kerns. Who will be the next guy step up. In the past they at had 2 middle school teams running the "system", somebody is going to get a shot early now.

The problem was there are natural born alpha leaders like Eric, and a lot of other head coaches.

Then there are wannabe alphas leaders like Brian Miller, and get their leader position through passive manipulation, and like many other superintendents - long for the respect of a true alpha. The easiest way to do that is document every minute detail of slip ups, no matter how small and trivial we may view them, and banish him.

Coach K is not coming back. He gave them a reason to not renew his contract. He actually apologized for his behavior and acknowledged some of his shortcomings...a few quotes... during which, administrators said, the coach “expressed minimal concern for hazing or empathy for the students.” The district’s letter quoted Kasperowicz as saying: “You aren’t paying me enough to sit in the locker room and watch the kids.” These comments KILLED him. This interview was conducted by the AD, principal and asst. principal, all of whom opted not to rehire, along with a unanimous school board and their attorney and solicitor.

The administration is not against football. It brings in too much money for the district. And football will most certainly not be dropped lol.

I do agree Campos will only be there a year, two at most to save face. I do not think PR will lose every game. In fact, I still think they will make the play offs. His only defense in this mess is being a late hire. I still think PR has the athletes to win.

Last edited:
new2pa, have you heard anything about who will be replacing Kerns on both sides of the ball? I saw a few times last week that the new center and Boyd/Kasperowicz were having trouble getting acclimated to each other and resulted in a few bobbled snaps. Hopefully, they'll be able to figure things out before Gateway. Speaking of which, what is the scouting report on Gateway?

I believe Baron Graham has the first shot at the center position.

Gateway Is an interesting matchup for PR. Gateway’s offensibe and defensive lines are not very good however the skill guys are excellent for the high school level. On offense the quarterback, Birch, is very good for a sophomore and he has a very skilled receiving corps including his brother and the D1 DB (name escapes me).

The same thing goes on defense. The defensive line isn’t great but the further you get away from the line the better they get. PR’s gonna have to be able to run the ball and stop the pass. If I were gateway I would get the ball on the perimeter as often as possible because I don’t think Pine is very good out there.

Got to see the P-R gateway game. The most glaring thing is that Gateway's OL is not very good. P-R offense had a couple good plays, but only scored on a bomb, a muffed punt by the kicker, and another long pass. Gateway held them in check decently otherwise. P-R could move the ball, but stumbled on their other drives. Gateways defense is solid but not spectacular. P-R defense was excellent IMO. They backed their DB's up and put pressure with their front 4. When they did need to blitz, Gateway had no answer. Birch was under constant pressure.

It seems to me that when P-R is punching at their level (5A WPIAL), they are still very good to excellent. Unless Gateway shores up their OL, it won't matter how good their skill is.

Final note - it was 21-7 at the half. No second half scoring.

I think no one largely cares until playoffs now. They lost to the good teams and are beating the bad ones. NH, Kiski, Shaler, PH….

I’d say they have inside track to another championship.

I was a little surprised that the Penn Hills game was only decided by one score, but a win is a win regardless. We've seen P-R be more conservative with running the ball and eating clock rather than airing it out and mercy-ruling teams by halftime. Maybe that changes with the weak opponents coming up.

Regarding Penn Hills, I think they have a lot of talent in their skill positions but their lines aren't really talented and they're pretty undisciplined. How many offsides penalties did they have on Friday? Duggar will be a top-tier QB in the WPIAL by the time he is a senior and Key is a sneaky-good RB, but they need line help desperately if they want to be a WPIAL contender.

wow, your crudeness continues, maybe people are commenting less, b/c we do not want to hear your crude comments

my guess is most people on this board would rather "Details" would "shut up."
my guess is most people are tired of all of the speculating, and do not know "what to make of the PR season"
the team is 3-3, the kids are doing their best, "coaches" have done okay, or "decent" like i posted a month ago

But- winning the "conference?" Not very exciting. Most fans, true PR football kids and parents expect more, and have worked hard for years, for more. The "program" is used to playing for "championships" not conference "titles." PR played in 4 straight WPIAL championships from 2017 to 2020, and 5 out of 7 dating back to 2014, and 3 out of 7 STATE championship games. I'm sure great football programs like Clairton, TJ, PCC, and St. Joes do not get very excited by "winning their conference"

Reactions: bummer01 and new2pa
You really are a 1/2 empty glass kind of gal aren't ya?

You only got angrier when PR started winning. Get behind the program, win or lose, support the kids.

Speculating.....like you did a month ago lol... "2 months ago, i predicted the top teams would be gateway, penn hills and PT

w info thru wk 2, penn trafford is my prediction for dis 7/ wpial champ:"

Well...Pine-Richland beat two of those teams.....and for some reason I bet that makes you mad for "speculating"......You are speculating that PR won't win another championship......LOL you can't make this stuff up.

On to the Shaler Titans...with or without you.

wow, your crudeness continues, maybe people are commenting less, b/c we do not want to hear your crude comments

my guess is most people on this board would rather "Details" would "shut up."
my guess is most people are tired of all of the speculating, and do not know "what to make of the PR season"
the team is 3-3, the kids are doing their best, "coaches" have done okay, or "decent" like i posted a month ago

But- winning the "conference?" Not very exciting. Most fans, true PR football kids and parents expect more, and have worked hard for years, for more. The "program" is used to playing for "championships" not conference "titles." PR played in 4 straight WPIAL championships from 2017 to 2020, and 5 out of 7 dating back to 2014, and 3 out of 7 STATE championship games. I'm sure great football programs like Clairton, TJ, PCC, and St. Joes do not get very excited by "winning their conference"
Good point on conference races dropping in significance....ruined by the postseason in my view; at least devalued. Remember back in the day (88) when Pitt CC went in place of USC (Render?) who felt the WPIAL was the prize. Things change.
College mimics this with BCS, now CFP and whatever is in the works ruining the bowls that I thought were awesome, something very special. Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl. They meant something and you had to win something to get there.

Good point on conference races dropping in significance....ruined by the postseason in my view; at least devalued. Remember back in the day (88) when Pitt CC went in place of USC (Render?) who felt the WPIAL was the prize. Things change.
College mimics this with BCS, now CFP and whatever is in the works ruining the bowls that I thought were awesome, something very special. Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl. They meant something and you had to win something to get there.
Yes, conference title is just about meaningless. Sadly, the WPIAL "value" has even lowered. It "matters" to us Western Pa people, but not much outside of this area. This is partly b/c of lowering enrollment and less "power 5" talent in the last 20 years, just having any "FBS" offers has now become impressive. For kids and "programs" to be high-level, they need to at least "think about" state titles. I wish the best to all the schools, but I just do not see any WPIAL 5A teams, even making it to semis with Erie Prep, Imotep and Mifflin "lurking" at the top of State 5A. It will depend on how brackets are set.

It's diluted almost everywhere with more high schools (urban sprawl), privates being WAY more appealing than ever, soccer, concussions, pop drop....etc, etc.

About ECP, GM and ICS, you never know. I remember a Harrisburg team that was stunned by Gov Mif not knowing what to do with their mid line, Totally befuddled! A bad bounce here, bad call there, missed tackle/assignment, hamstring. You never know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT