ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2021

Well, P-R should hold serve next week vs. Fox Chapel and win the conference for a nice season. But IMO they have a lot of work to do to get to a championship level. Slowly fading. Yesterday, the first two scores were on a <10 play drive after one Kiski funble and a scoop and score from the 5 after another. If Kiski only makes ones of those mistakes, they probably win.

This team had state championship level talent. They've lost Boyd and Kerns who were top 5 kids on the team. Between those losses and everything else, I think a WPIAL Championship would now be considered a heck of a season.

The seedings will be really important. Stay away from Moon and Penn-Trafford as long as possible.

Cannot win conference, that ship sailed last week, they lose the tie breaker w North Hills, who would have to lose to Shaler next week, that will not happen. And, again, very unlikely they make it to Championship, i think best case scenario is 2nd place in conference, 4 seed, maybe one playoff win, then they would meet either Moon or PT in semi. Again, i could go on and on- but so very upsetting. New... you mention Boyd and Kerns... this team, had ZERO games lost to injury last season. This year, countless lost games, cramps, groins, ankles, knees, concussions, and FOUR kids had season ending injuries- several of which will never play football again. I gave credit to the coaches last night- but starting in mid-June, kids were not prepared, poor off-season conditioning- even still now, problems w practice and conditioning program- very likely have led to injuries.

Reactions: new2pa
Cannot win conference, that ship sailed last week, they lose the tie breaker w North Hills, who would have to lose to Shaler next week, that will not happen. And, again, very unlikely they make it to Championship, i think best case scenario is 2nd place in conference, 4 seed, maybe one playoff win, then they would meet either Moon or PT in semi. Again, i could go on and on- but so very upsetting. New... you mention Boyd and Kerns... this team, had ZERO games lost to injury last season. This year, countless lost games, cramps, groins, ankles, knees, concussions, and FOUR kids had season ending injuries- several of which will never play football again. I gave credit to the coaches last night- but starting in mid-June, kids were not prepared, poor off-season conditioning- even still now, problems w practice and conditioning program- very likely have led to injuries.
Honestly, it's pretty bad to not win a conference as weak as this one. Yeah, each team has some strengths and one team in particular has none whatsoever, but P-R is miles away the better team on paper. I kinda expected that they'd struggle with their non-conference schedule, but to LOSE to North Hills and only beat Penn Hills and Kiski by one posession? Nobody could've guessed that happening.

2020: Losing their strength and conditioning guy / WR coach Ed Malinoski was another huge blow. Kids loved him and he did both traditional and non traditional stuff to get them ready. The players seemed to regularly be the most fit and physical of anyone P-R played.

2020: Losing their strength and conditioning guy / WR coach Ed Malinoski was another huge blow. Kids loved him and he did both traditional and non traditional stuff to get them ready. The players seemed to regularly be the most fit and physical of anyone P-R played.
Who is the strength coach now?

I believe that they hired outside people for the summer. No idea about now.

Let's say P-R beats Fox Chapel, Penn Hills beats Kiski, and North Hills beats Shaler. Where would that put P-R in the conference and who would they possibly play in the first round of the playoffs?

Let's say P-R beats Fox Chapel, Penn Hills beats Kiski, and North Hills beats Shaler. Where would that put P-R in the conference and who would they possibly play in the first round of the playoffs?
Ok, using New's post, and recent news articles, it seems like some rules have changed, strange and confusing- but looks like the process for tie-breakers has changed, WPIAL might be using Gardner points, if so PR benefits. So if that likely 3-way-tie scenario happens as Bummer lists, PR gets a "share of conference" and 4 or 5 seed. If they get 4 seed, they get a bye week, then home playoff game in "quarterfinal." Using the 1-12 by New's post, 5v12 is Gateway v FC, likely a Gateway win, so PR would play Gateway at home. I'm not sure what happens if PH loses, it would be a head-to-head tie w PR and NH, IDK, logically NH wins, PR likely 5 seed. If that happens, it could be no bye week, play FC again at home in "first round." Crazy.

Here's how I understand it if one of the top 3 lose.

If PH loses, NH is conference champ via Head to Head with P-R
If P-R loses, PH is conference champ via Head to Head with NH
If NH loses, P-R is conference champ via Head to Head with PH

Well, it seems as if the top four teams in the conference have been set and Kiski and Shaler are out. All that's left to do is figure out who finishes where standings-wise. What's the scouting report on Fox Chapel? On paper, it looks like they're extremely undersized on the lines and have a few decent receivers and a big RB in Zidane Thomas. They DID beat Kiski earlier this year by two scores and lost to North Hills 17-10, but I don't know how to feel about this game. I want to say P-R will win but we all thought that against North Hills and if Kiski didn't make the mistakes they did in the first half against P-R, they probably would've won that game as well.

Overall, what do you know about Fox Chapel, and what's your outlook on the game? Also, has anybody found a video stream for the game? I saw an audio feed on TRIB HSSN but that's it.

My prediction is that P-R will win this one 35-14. I think Palmeri is getting better at QB as the weeks go on and that will continue this week. Look for Eastburn to have a big game as well.

I have not seen FC this year. Just from score comparison, I would agree with your comments about them being similar to Kiski and NH. If they can get the ball on the perimeter and not turn it over, they have a chance IMO. A small chance, but a chance.

You know what's crazy - to be talking about FC, Kiski and NH in the same breath as P-R. None of those teams are above average. Its sad how much has already been lost.

Reactions: JACKY6996
A little interesting thing I dug up regarding Fox Chapel. I didn't know that Adam Bisnowaty, the former Pitt OL, played there. He's listed on their coaching staff. If they still had Lorenzo Jenkins to go with that WR core, I'd be a little nervous about P-R's secondary, but they looked much improved as the year went on. I watched a little bit of film on FC and while they look much improved from last year (P-R beat them 53-7 last year) I don't think this will be too much of a problem for P-R.

Let's hope for a few upsets in the other games tomorrow though. Looking forward to the playoffs!

A little interesting thing I dug up regarding Fox Chapel. I didn't know that Adam Bisnowaty, the former Pitt OL, played there. He's listed on their coaching staff. If they still had Lorenzo Jenkins to go with that WR core, I'd be a little nervous about P-R's secondary, but they looked much improved as the year went on. I watched a little bit of film on FC and while they look much improved from last year (P-R beat them 53-7 last year) I don't think this will be too much of a problem for P-R.

Let's hope for a few upsets in the other games tomorrow though. Looking forward to the playoffs!
Although this HAS been discussed on this board, but not recently, IMO the biggest factor for this year, for PR has been injuries. Possible bad luck, but very likely poor preparation by coaches, questionable conditioning, disjointed off-season workouts (none occurred from mid April to mid june), and even disjointed workouts and preparation even during the season, up till now.
2020- zero significant injuries, zero games lost, none to sprains, twists, concussions
2019- one season ending injury, very few others

This year- yipes, countless. Groin, ankles, knees, concussions, and even in-game cramps that disrupted several games early (Harrisburg and Seneca). Sadly-

2021- something like 8-10 starters have missed games due to injuries, FOUR players have had season-ending injuries, surgeries, crutches, several kids may never play football again. So incredibly upsetting- the "leaders" of PR wanted to "de-emphasize football." They literally said, in public, things like, the program will be just fine, we have a nice stadium, good facilities, talented players- as though all the coaches are "easily replaceable." Well the team is not "just fine" and good coaches are not easily replaceable.

So- the reason for this long message- Eastburn, Gelly, Mellis and Rudolph (who have all missed games due to injuries, again unheard of in recent years) are all good players who have missed due to injuries. Using a "glass half full" approach- they are all playing this week. Rudolph is a big factor on defense. He was not 100% last week, and as a result, Palmieri had to play both ways for parts of the game. Yes- not talked about- but a PR starting QB playing defense? Never happens. In the last 10 years, starting QBs- Whipple, Dinucci, Jurcovec, DeVinney, Spencer, Boyd. Playing defense? Never. they were all great athletes, but the focus has always been, allowing those boys to focus on QB, and get in-game instruction and coaching- starting as early as ninth grade, they start going one-way. With Rudolph, Gelly, Mellis healthy, the secondary will be better, and Palmieri can focus on QB. If PR plays well, 30-20 final prediction. If sloppy, IDK, close, 27-24 either way.

As I said before, PR kids and program do not care much about "conference title." Seeding? Yes, that matters, they could use a home playoff game and maybe a bye week- to maybe go some distance in playoffs. But- maybe next year- if the program continues to "sink" we will jump for joy w a winning record, and making it to the playoffs!

Man this offense is painful to watch. Run run tunnel screen then punt. It’s crazy how a team like fox chapel is playing with them. They looked like a youth league team compared to pr last year. So embarrassing the position the adults in this district put the kids in.

Penn Hills is up at the half and North Hills is destroying Shaler. That doesn't matter if we can't beat Fox Chapel. Giving up a TD pass on 4th-and-20 would've been unheard of last year. P-R has 193 yards of offense and Fox Chapel has 94. This shouldn't be a close game but P-R's bonehead mistakes are making it one. Hopefully, the second half will be better. Go Rams.

Well, it looks like P-R has turned it on in the second half, scoring twenty-two unanswered points, and with roughly ten minutes left in the game, I'm going to chalk this up as a win. Tough break for Fox Chapel, they lost their starting QB and many others are injured. That may have taken the wind out of the sails for them if they want to do anything in the playoffs. If things stand as they are now, there will be a three-way tie for the Northeast Conference title.

Well, the rollercoaster continues for PR! Again, credit to the coaches and the kids. Yes, FC losing their QB was a big impact, but the PR kids did not lose faith at halftime, even being 7-7.
Good- overall, good win for PR vs a playoff team, crazy getting WPIAL 3 seed
Bad- only 7-7 at half, offense sputters against a team that is 4-6
Ugly- yet ONE MORE injury- Klemm, hurt knee, might be done for season.

PR will face NH or Peters, hard to predict, both could be tough games. the difference could be their experience- Peters has played much more post season than NH. that will benefit Peters this week, and will also make them tougher to beat for PR next week. PR kids are "battle-tested" in the playoffs- that could be the difference against either opponent. I did some quick searching- NH has not even made the post season a few times recently- and it has been many years since they won a single post-season game- at least 10 years since

School board elections today. Depending on how things turn out this could get interesting for the district.

The 4 anti-current-school-board candidates won pretty easily yesterday. They now only need to recruit one more existing school board member to their side to start implementing their platform. And FWIW, I saw that other SB member at the election party with the other 4, so I'm guessing change is going to start happening when they take over.

From what 'm hearing though, I don't think the football situation will be at the top of the list. I think the new board will address masks in school, morale among teachers, and very large issues wrt sexual harassment and coverups before they tackle the football coaching situation.

They may get lucky on that because I wouldn't be surprised at all if Campos resigns shortly after the season to avoid all the drama that will be forthcoming. Of course, if they make a long playoff run, he could change his mind, but they have a tough road ahead with NH/Peters, Penn-Trafford, and Moon in their path. On top of all that, Coach K's federal lawsuit is winding through the judicial process now too.

Its a circus. Yesterday at the polls, the current school board president got into a yelling/bumping match with a voter. Was inches from his face screaming at the voter dropping F bombs.

P-R will play Peters Twp next week in a rematch of the 2020 WPIAL championship gsme.

How do you feel this game will go? Is Cole Boyd expected to be back at some point?

Boyd is out as far as I know. Klemm is TBD.
Peters has it rolling. They need to be able to attack on the perimeter and play solid D and stop P-R’s potent screen game.

P-R needs to continue to capitalize on TO’s and not rely on Palmieri running around to make plays. DBs will be tested.

I see this anywhere from a close win by P-R to a blowout by Peters.

Reactions: bummer01
Phew- the roller-coaster continues for PR!

Now, rematch w Peters- a solid well-coached 5A team, with playoff experience. I still stay w injuries maybe being the biggest factor this year for PR, maybe "tied with" the change of coaches. Now, without Boyd, Kerns, and Klemm, all offensive starters, "out," it's gonna be very tough to go very far in playoffs- if PR defense plays well, maybe a low scoring game, 17-14, either way. Crazy, also the impact of a "good PR game" vs bad-
bad-loss at Seneca
good- win at Gateway
bad-loss at North Hills
good-win at Fox Chapel

All of these are good "playoff caliber" opponents- if PR has a "good showing" might be able to pull out a win, will need to play good defense and run the ball effectively. Being home helps, but PR did have a trainwreck second half this year, that led to a loss at home to PCC.

Darkhorse might be Penn Hills- other than the sloppy game at NH, that was the closest and toughest 5A opponent for PR

2020 I get what you are saying. It’s sad when Fox Chapel is a good win…

Back to footbal - with Klemm and Kearns out half there starting DL is out. That’s gotta start to affect them.

The 4 anti-current-school-board candidates won pretty easily yesterday. They now only need to recruit one more existing school board member to their side to start implementing their platform. And FWIW, I saw that other SB member at the election party with the other 4, so I'm guessing change is going to start happening when they take over.

From what 'm hearing though, I don't think the football situation will be at the top of the list. I think the new board will address masks in school, morale among teachers, and very large issues wrt sexual harassment and coverups before they tackle the football coaching situation.

They may get lucky on that because I wouldn't be surprised at all if Campos resigns shortly after the season to avoid all the drama that will be forthcoming. Of course, if they make a long playoff run, he could change his mind, but they have a tough road ahead with NH/Peters, Penn-Trafford, and Moon in their path. On top of all that, Coach K's federal lawsuit is winding through the judicial process now too.

Its a circus. Yesterday at the polls, the current school board president got into a yelling/bumping match with a voter. Was inches from his face screaming at the voter dropping F bombs.
I don’t think it is any concidence that mike white continuously posts articles like this. From what I’ve heard that was the plan all along tbh. Contract extension of admin was literally an intimidation tactic that failed, now their hands are tied.

Hearing that Domer is out for tonights game and saw on twitter rumors of Boyd being back. Not sure status of Klemm either. Can anyone confirm any of this? All 3rd and 4th hand on this stuff.

I’m not quite sure how P-R pulled this out. Gochis and Palmieri was studs all night on O. Peters was Peters and in the big moments couldn’t convert. They need to find a way to get over the hump.

Next week P-R has Penn Trafford. I’ve been high on them all year with Yacamelli, their Line and their program in general. But at this point, I’m starting to think P-R has found it mojo.

How, yes, wow- great gutsy performance by PR. First the coaching- first half was kinda bad- lots of weird calls, only 6 points in first half- they made good halftime adjustments- simplified, ran more, threw less, played tougher, and used Hasley more on offense. Second "how" is veteran playoff experience- Hasley, Lenz, Gochis, Eastburn- those kids, in the last 3 years- as of now, their only loss is 2019 WPIAL championship to PCC, 7 and 1 in the last 3 years. Hasley is and was a beast- that kid STARTED as a sophomore- he has played in 3 championships- 2 WPIALS and 1 State. Friday, he was great on defense, and sealed the win running the ball to burn clock, in the last 2 minutes- he committed to an ACC team, but he looked like a Big Ten player in that game. Penn Trafford should be tougher- but who knows- Peters beat them early in year- PR running game will be good- but still gotta be able to pass!

I don’t think it is any concidence that mike white continuously posts articles like this. From what I’ve heard that was the plan all along tbh. Contract extension of admin was literally an intimidation tactic that failed, now their hands are tied.
I can tell you Emily Mueller, the school board solicitor is saying "PLEASE NO!!!!"

Imagine bringing back a coach that was fired for hazing and such......only to have the accusations be brought up again next year. That very well may happen.

Oh my the lawsuits.....everyone would go down. The payouts.

Not sure any ay PR resident wants to take the chance of going down that road.

Especially after having not one - not one instance or allegation of hazing or bullying at all this season.

Coach Campos may not be back next year, but I am not sure anyone will take a chance on a coach that was fired and still has those allegations hanging over his head. Too much risk.

I can tell you Emily Mueller, the school board solicitor is saying "PLEASE NO!!!!"

Imagine bringing back a coach that was fired for hazing and such......only to have the accusations be brought up again next year. That very well may happen.

Oh my the lawsuits.....everyone would go down. The payouts.

Not sure any ay PR resident wants to take the chance of going down that road.

Especially after having not one - not one instance or allegation of hazing or bullying at all this season.

Coach Campos may not be back next year, but I am not sure anyone will take a chance on a coach that was fired and still has those allegations hanging over his head. Too much risk.
Hundreds if not thousands of PR residents would YES, want "to go down the road" of bringing back Kasper, because he was a great coach and it WAS a great program. And Details, I'm not sure who you have talked to in the last 4 months, but Yes, there have been multiple allegations of hazing and bullying this year. It is unfortunate but "allegations of hazing or bullying" happens at PR, and most other schools- this "football program" has 80-100 kids who play an aggressive competitive sport. As is the case in all High Schools, some of these "accusations" are valid, and some are not. Two years ago, the "alleged hazing problems" were not Kasper's "fault" and certainly this year, they were not Kasper's "fault" because he was fired, and did not work there this year. And, please, Details, don't call me a fanboy- this whole topic resurfaced following the article of Mike White, who is a well-respected, established Pittsburgh journalist. Personally, I'm sad and exhausted by the whole subject of "old coaches and new coaches." But I can tell you, the reality is, most PR people involved w the program, who have half a clue, would say this year has been extremely difficult, at times sad, and the kids have suffered... the same people would also say that the previous coaching staff would have provided a much better experience for the current football program- and not just "winning" but taking care of the kids, helping and mentoring them as young men.

New... agreed, and not just this week, stuff happened earlier in the year, and in fact at least one kid quit maybe in July b/c of bullying and/or hazing

Well, that's a wrap. Penn Trafford handled P-R in the second half. I didn't think either team played particularly well, but P-T came out on top.

Will start to get interesting again in a couple weeks when the new School Board takes office.

At least one of the new school board members supports Campos coming back, that means two would have to flip and be willing to re-hire a guy that was fired by current board members and administrator's, connive them to rehire a man that almost destroyed the program and whose attitude and actions put PR in this situation.

Not sure that will happen. Big risk involved. You will not find one WPIAL coach that was rehired after being fired for these actions. That goes for Campos as well.

Which new school member supports Campos?

Terchick
Brussalis
Hillman
Cassidy

??

I think also, until something happens with administration, I don’t see how admin and the former coaches can coexist.

Honestly, I cannot see Kasperowicz ever coming back to coach at P-R. I feel like he is going to parlay his Pitt job into a coaching job in college somewhere, whether that's D-3 or JUCO or whatever.

Looking forward to next year, however, I have a bold prediction. If Coach Campos and his staff are back, I wouldn't be too surprised if Ryan Palmieri is the QB next season. I think with a full offseason of him at the position will be better for the team next year, and P-R is losing a little bit: Gochis, Domer, Klemm, Hasley, Eastburn, Lenz, to name a few. However, Mellis, Gelly, Kerns, Beam, Heckert, and Rottinghaus were all were key pieces as juniors, and Pillar and N. Klemm played as sophomores. There's still talent here, but can next year's team be better? With no turmoil (hopefully) there should be a full offseason of workouts. It's possible, but I don't know who else everybody is losing to graduation.

Honestly, I cannot see Kasperowicz ever coming back to coach at P-R. I feel like he is going to parlay his Pitt job into a coaching job in college somewhere, whether that's D-3 or JUCO or whatever.

Looking forward to next year, however, I have a bold prediction. If Coach Campos and his staff are back, I wouldn't be too surprised if Ryan Palmieri is the QB next season. I think with a full offseason of him at the position will be better for the team next year, and P-R is losing a little bit: Gochis, Domer, Klemm, Hasley, Eastburn, Lenz, to name a few. However, Mellis, Gelly, Kerns, Beam, Heckert, and Rottinghaus were all were key pieces as juniors, and Pillar and N. Klemm played as sophomores. There's still talent here, but can next year's team be better? With no turmoil (hopefully) there should be a full offseason of workouts. It's possible, but I don't know who else everybody is losing to graduation.
Agreed on Kasper unlikely to return, even though lots of PR people DO want him back- at this point, a possibility is Kasper relocating out-of-state, for a well paid college job, then his 9th grade son moving and transferring would not be an issue for PIAA or WPIAL transfer rules. Then, yes, Palmieri will be QB, cuz there really is no one else.

However- Kasper returning unlikely-- IMO Campos returning is equally as unlikely- he might not even want to. There is going to be lots of parent complaints, soon, about the program and the coaching this year- lots of parents and community members have been quiet for several months, for two main reasons 1) they knew real change could only happen with a school board election change (which did occur) 2) the kids needed some semblance of quiet, during the season, to try to have a decent season (which I guess they did, 7 and 5). Trying very hard to be supportive- I guess the coaches did some good things and there were a few coaches who dedicated lots of time and effort. But, given the talent on the team, lots of people saw the team repeating as WPIAL champs, and maybe going to state title again.... not even close. If the team had even "good coaching" this year, they would be maybe 11-1, planning to play at Heinz Field, to beat Moon, and already, now, have a "revised plan" to try to defend Nick Singleton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT