ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2020

Sir, Wood has been a 4A team playing up to 5A. Now up to 6A. They dressed 31 players in playoffs last year. They have played SJP and LaSalle, two great 6A teams every year, plus great out of state teams every year.
Too much hate and negativity in this world.
Let’s all try to be better and set a good example for the kids.
Have a great night and enjoy the season!

I only used Wood as an example to show how misleading the P-R reference was. Both are great programs. I hope you enjoy the season too.

New- it also looked like the DEs from pine took a hard out side pursuit and kept the duel threat usc qb in side the pocket . They also had like only 30 yards rushing. Also pantellis got hurt And left gene so they need him back asap. I saw some more tape and the OL had a field day on usc DL. Gateway is super athletic but I’m not sure they have any size in the lines? I like pine to muscle them around and win pretty easily. I think usc can edge Peters. The last two years have been real close games, just a gut feeling no more than that. My sleeper pick woody beat up on penn hills, And have some athletes. south Fayette lost to CV, amazing so they are not good. The game of the year is pine/gateway. Will be fun to watch

Honestly, I think that USC was over-rated. Once #11 went out, it was going to be almost impossible to do much of anything.

I think Gateway has one nice kid coming back, a DE and OL I think. Marques something. Also, a transfer LB is eligible now. From what I know, the rest of the kids are pretty much typical high school lineman. Larger kids that aren't real athletic or undersized kids that can move. I think P-R should have a definitive advantage up front on O and in the front 7 on D.

You mentioned this and I agree. South Fayette losing to CV is a huge upset in my book. I heard it was a clean game and CV just beat them. Maybe an off night, but SF reminds me of P-R when they went from 2A to 4A in 8 years time. Great team in 2A and 3A. Mediocre in 4A for a while. But SF has some good coaches and its a long season, but a surprising game nonetheless.

BUT, the biggest upset was CMac coming from 17 down to beat Lebo. I don't know how that happened, but CMac has been getting better. Played PCC respectable last week (PCC also down - Norwin had them within a TD...) You may know better than I since you live in the south hills, but I have to imagine the Lebo parents aren't real happy right now. Had always heard their Junior class was the class to get them over the top. Seems like they are going in the wrong direction. But again, its only 1 game.

Reactions: Bundy beats polk
Nice game Phil Jurkovec for BC, +300 yds beating Puke, excuse me....Duke. Seriously, heck of an outing and he will only get better and better maybe reviving the program. Their D was impressive as well. Be nice seeing another team in the ACC that can play football besides Clemson! Ok maybe Notre Dame too.

I watched this game. Jurkovec was good, but I think they kept the reigns on him a little. Would love to see him really get it going.

He looks a little bigger (and slower) now though. Or maybe the opponents are bigger and faster. LoL

Honestly, I think that USC was over-rated. Once #11 went out, it was going to be almost impossible to do much of anything.

I think Gateway has one nice kid coming back, a DE and OL I think. Marques something. Also, a transfer LB is eligible now. From what I know, the rest of the kids are pretty much typical high school lineman. Larger kids that aren't real athletic or undersized kids that can move. I think P-R should have a definitive advantage up front on O and in the front 7 on D.

You mentioned this and I agree. South Fayette losing to CV is a huge upset in my book. I heard it was a clean game and CV just beat them. Maybe an off night, but SF reminds me of P-R when they went from 2A to 4A in 8 years time. Great team in 2A and 3A. Mediocre in 4A for a while. But SF has some good coaches and its a long season, but a surprising game nonetheless.

BUT, the biggest upset was CMac coming from 17 down to beat Lebo. I don't know how that happened, but CMac has been getting better. Played PCC respectable last week (PCC also down - Norwin had them within a TD...) You may know better than I since you live in the south hills, but I have to imagine the Lebo parents aren't real happy right now. Had always heard their Junior class was the class to get them over the top. Seems like they are going in the wrong direction. But again, its only 1 game.
New - I am not sure over rated because pine is that much better than every one. I think the Peters/usc game will say a lot if they are overrated or not. Peters lost aloT but have alot back too, are good. Peters beat penn Trafford snd as you mentioned created 7 turn overs. It’s pine and gateway, then Peters, penn Trafford, usc, I think Franklin regional is Solid usually but not so much this year and I like woody high to be in the mix. Gateway usually has a small athletic DL but that will not be good vs pine. Lebo losing to cannon max is and should be considered embarrassing. They were up big and folded, special teams td over 90 yards too, Palko staple is special teams. They had to do the 14 day corona virus quarantine and miss a scrimmage and game, clearly hurt them But will not beat NA, Pgh CC so needed that win. Norwin was in the game with Pgh cc which tells me they are down for sure. What’s SV look like this year? Also, do you think they will even do a PIAA? East starts the first week in October? Going to be hard to put a playoff together that makes sense?

From what I understand, SV has a very good senior class. They are big and physical. The past few years, I thought that if they could find a passing game, they could win some games. They are a Sr. QB starting this year, so maybe it will be this kid. I think SV is always well coached too.

I think for 1A-5A things are pretty solid for wpial and state playoffs. Over 90% of the teams in those brackets are playing. In 6A, the WPIAL schedule is in shambles and out east, D1 and D12 have lots of 6A teams that aren't playing. That one is the one that will be hard. It would really benefit the wpial if they allowed 6A to come into the state playoffs later, because 6A could use another week to make up games. That could be possible now since the distribution of teams is changing.

Reactions: Soup13
Big game coming up with Gateway. They have 4 D1 skill players in Davis, Price, Thrift and Body. They also return a couple kids up front and I just read in the trib that their QB has thrown for over 200 yards in each of his first two games as a starter. #2 team in the state in 5A.

PR has looked very solid too though. Offense has gained over 1000 yards in 2 games and defense has been better than ever. The emergence of a run game versus USC to go along with a very potent pass attack has taken them to the next level. On defense, the front 7 is dynamic and fast on both the DL and at the LB corp.

I think that the key to the game is very simple - can P-R hold Gateway to only 2 or 3 big plays? If so, then P-R will win, perhaps easily. If not, then it will be a dogfight.

New - I watched some film last night on Gateway and looked back at the USC/Pine game. Gateway is much bigger on the lines than I originally thought. They beat up on two young, bad teams so its hard to quantity how good they are on the lines. The skill is there, Davis is a BEAST, defense plays fast. Looking back, Pine was sloppy in the USC game, really should have won by 42 plus points. Two turnovers one was a bad pick on a telegraphed throw in end zoned by Spencer. I know he still had a phenomenal game, 264 yards, 3TD. but that is a throw he needs to make early in that game. Having Jochem back will help alot, heard he is out with a head injury. They still put up just under 500 total yards and dominated but need to take advantage of every opportunity. That being said, I think they beat a good team in Gateway with their physicality.

Reactions: lilromeo and new2pa
P-R definitely let a lot of points on the board. Besides that INT, I counted two times in the first half where they did not convert first downs inside the 10, and at least 2 or maybe 3 dropped TD passes. If Jochem is out, I'm not sure P-R will have much success getting downfield on the Gateway DBs. A key could be P-R's ability to run the ball and make Gateway put extra guys on the LOS.

The other key - P-R's defense is really, really good. I'm not sure Gateway's OL is a strength of the team. If they can't play well, it could be a very long day for the Gateway QB, making his 3rd start.

I watched this game. Jurkovec was good, but I think they kept the reigns on him a little. Would love to see him really get it going.

He looks a little bigger (and slower) now though. Or maybe the opponents are bigger and faster. LoL
https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401241303

Catch BC vs Texas St at 6PM-Sat on ESPN-3. TS has some dangerous people playing SMU and UTSA tight. Monroe a walk. They score a lot and allow a lot so it could be a fun game where PJ goes wild.

Last edited:
Reactions: new2pa
P-R didn't play great on offense in the first half, but their defense was lights out the entire game. Led to a 43-0 shutout!

Like vs. USC, P-R had problems in the Redzone. failing to covert twice before the game was out of reach. This time, it wasn't penalties that factored in, but rather poor execution and missed opportunities. Gotta get that fixed though. After an overall slow first quarter, the offensed was humming between the 20's as usual. The first score was a one-on-one throw to Jochem for a TD, which was followed a few minutes later with a bomb to Gochis just before the half. Spencer threw his third TD pass in a row on an inside screen to Hasley. In the run game, Schweiger started the game but Eastburn took over. Eastburn looks like P-R's previous two back - Meckler and Crawford. Bigger than both, but not as fast as Meckler or slippery as Crawford. But the same type of player. The OL was solid again, openign huge holes and giving Spencer time for the most part.

The story of the game was the defense though. They are really good. Looks like they made some changes up front to reduce two way players. The front line now averages around 260 and if very athletic for their size. Jackson of course is in that group. The LB's can run! Miller and Hasley lead that group, but Waryanka (#44) is just as fast and a very solid tackler. In the secondary, it looks like Jochem has moved into the FS role along with Schweiger, Mill, and Neill. 3 two way kids in that group, so something to look for. But overall, this group is fast and physical. At this point, its strongest side of the ball.

Three cupcakes upcoming with Shaler, North Hills an Kiski. North Hills could make it interesting with all the ties on the Coaching staff, but I see three more mercy rule games heading into the WPIAL playoffs.

New - Agree, sloppy and then they found their grove big time. Miller had a game, PR blitzed a lot, PH had no answer to that. 44 is legit for sure, has a motor and brings the boom down. Jackson looked winded/tired, stopped before the whistle a few times, not sure what was up? Penn Hills is young. I liked the freshman south paw QB a lot. North Hills has zero chance too, mercy rule by halftime. JV will get a ton of work in the next 3 games.

I though the same about Jackson. I think he grew up in Penn Hills. Maybe taking it easy on his buddies? LoL

The QB will be good. They need to build around him on the offensive side. Not very creative.

North Hills never beats anyone of consequence any more.

P-R looked to be back to form against Shaler. They didn't put up much resistance, but P-R didn't make many unforced mistakes, like they did last week. Didn't learn much though. Big game next week versus North Hills. North Hills is in must-win mode to have any chance at the playoffs.

New - They will beat NH by 42 plus .They will not score on Pines 1st team. On a separate note Lebo beating an over rated central Catholic. No real threats in 6A this year. Central PA and Philly area look much stronger in 6A, if there is a state wide bracket.

New - They will beat NH by 42 plus .They will not score on Pines 1st team. On a separate note Lebo beating an over rated central Catholic. No real threats in 6A this year. Central PA and Philly area look much stronger in 6A, if there is a state wide bracket.
Starting to look like CD vs SJP (?) again while Harrisburg is looking doubtful to make playoffs unless they play 4 games (D3 rules) by Oct 23. Nothing counts after that date towards playoff pts. Bummer. Problem is, no one wants to play them especially seeing what they did to a good Berks Catholic team.
5A Note: Gov. Mifflin is looking as good as any of them.

Starting to look like CD vs SJP (?) again while Harrisburg is looking doubtful to make playoffs unless they play 4 games (D3 rules) by Oct 23. Nothing counts after that date towards playoff pts. Bummer. Problem is, no one wants to play them especially seeing what they did to a good Berks Catholic team.
5A Note: Gov. Mifflin is looking as good as any of them.
D-3 should not restrict any team from the playoffs this year. Its certainly not HSBG fault that they probably cant get 4 games in this year. They should contact Malvern Prep who Im sure will play them.

D-3 should not restrict any team from the playoffs this year. Its certainly not HSBG fault that they probably cant get 4 games in this year. They should contact Malvern Prep who Im sure will play them.
Agreed lilromeo. Guess they had to have some format. Too bad it's this year but Hburg will not be the only team getting screwed with more than a few getting in with a weak schedule, in some cases undefeated because they've played no one but got the pts. Coach says he'll play 2 games a week, one on Tuesday, whatever, to get in games. They'd love playing Malvern Prep. Berks Cath won't make it as they've played Northwestern Lehigh (3-1) and a bad ass Cedar Cliff 1-2 team who lost to Hershey (3-0) and McDevitt (3-0) in wars....and the Harrisburg loss last week. Too bad you don't get pts for having a pair like BC. The postseason will be a far cry from the best teams playing barring exceptional teams like CD, Mifflin, Wyomissing et al. Tough year.

Harrisburg should reach out to Connellsville who is scheduled to play Penn Trafford I think. PT shut down last week because of Covid. Not sure if they will be back. But Cville is not good. Probably won’t play.

Harrisburg should reach out to Connellsville who is scheduled to play Penn Trafford I think. PT shut down last week because of Covid. Not sure if they will be back. But Cville is not good. Probably won’t play.
Good thought and I imagine Coach Everett is reaching out to anyone who will listen...and like BC, have the balls to play them. I shouldn't be so judgmental as all of them are trying to make the playoffs....and shame on Harrisburg High admin for dicking around with this for so long, staying closed when almost EVERYONE else was playing ball. Maybe we should all just stay home forever!

P-R rolled last night over North Hills. 52-0 at the half with a 59-13 final.

A little hard to see everything on the stream, but they were humming. Offense looks to be almost unstoppable when they don't turn the ball over (two fumbles I saw in first quarter) and defense continues to be lights out. The Hasley boy about tore some kid in half on a jet sweep in the first quarter. I lost count, but I think that P-R had 5 or 6 interceptions and I don't remember a positive rushing play in the first half. The DL and LB just dominated. Offensively, Spencer to Jochem was unstoppable. Schweiger, Eastburn, and Burns ran the ball very well and the line continued to play excellent.

Best part of the game. Miguel Jackson, Liberty commit and DE/G for P-R ran for a TD and threw for one. It was great.

It was a repeat on Friday for the Rams at Kiski. 58-14. Scored on first 2 plays and game was over. Spencer was 9-9 with 5 TD's - 3 to Jochem, 1 to Hasley and 1 to Miller. They also ran the ball very well. Defensively, I'm not sure I saw more than 1 or 2 plays versus the first team that went for more than 5 yards. But Kiski is not much of competition.

Playoffs now. South Fayette, then like Penn-Trafford and then Gateway/Peters.

Should get more interesting, but the teams seems to be in high gear.

Rams rolled last night. 41-0 at the half, even being stopped twice. Cole Spencer broke Jurkovec's career TD record with 75 total. Tossed 3 last night to Eli Jochem, who also had a pick 6. Defense was outstanding. Luke Miller was punishing kids on every tackle. It was a dominating performance. SF looked overmatched at every position. P-R is very big at every position.

Next up - Penn-Trafford.

New - What I expected from Pine over SF. not much to say, beat down in all phases.

This was the only game I waffled back and forth on because of USC top skill talent. I was on the wrong side of this one. PT bullied USC, ran for 300+ yards. Threw when they had to, almost a shut out.

Pine will match up well with PT and expect a 3 td win. PT will fight and score one maybe two tds but pines line will Overmatch PTs , they lost one starter in the USC game, not sure how the back up did? PT throws but it is not a lot and not consistent enough. That will make them pretty much one dimensional.

Soup, Did they lose another lineman, or where they talking about #76, who the announcers said something about?

New- Just the one. I just read Ruane was happy with who ever stepped in but 76 is solid if he is the guy who went down.

Biggest game of the year tomorrow versus Penn-Trafford. Just saw that P-T is the only team that Kasper hasn't beat while at P-R. It seems like P-R has been getting better and better each week. The defense has been very very good and the LB corp of Miller, Hasley and Waranka might be the best in the state. Up front they have been playing three kids (Dommer. Lenz and Shurman) who don't play offense so they are always fresh (along with Jackson, who is very talented stopping the run and pass). The backend has gotten better. Neill and Mill at the corners have been solid, and Jochem when he plays FS is starting to become a ball hawk.

On offense, it seems like they are using less spread sets and running the ball more. Burns at RB has been a solid downhill runner with some explosiveness along with Schweiger. The pass game continues to feature the Spencer to Jochem combo, but all the WR's make plays each game. It more than a one man show, and Spencer has been excellent. And get this - Spencer passed DiNucci and Jurkovec to set the record for most passing TD's in a career.

P-T tomorrow will be tough. Well coached and physical. Will want to run the ball. P-R needs to bring the same kind of defensive intensity as they did last week. P-T plays a lot of kids both ways, including QB and RB and 3 OL, so being physical with them will help all around.

I was very impressed with P-R on Friday. After absorbing P-T's best shot on the first drive, it was a pretty big domination by the Rams. On defense, it seemed like P-T used up their bag of tricks on the first drive of the game, and moved the ball very well. Scored on Philly Special. After that, it was tough sledding. Only one more scoring drive in the second half when the game was out of reach. P-R's defensive unit played excellently. I thought DL was solid all game and LB's and secondary settled down. P-R's defensive speed at all positions was apparent. Very few long plays of any kind for P-T. P-R could track them down.

On offense, after being stopped on the first drive, P-R scored TD's on 7 straight possessions. It was a combination of run and pass game. It seemed like P-R handled P-T up front and did whatever they wanted. Spencer to Jochem was electric again, but Hasley, Gochis and Mill all contributed in big ways in the pass game. The RB combo of Schweiger, Burns and Eastburn were great. Hard between the tackles running.

P-T was a good team, but didn't have the firepower to go toe to toe for the whole game IMO. P-R is playing very well right now.

PT can’t throw very well and that was exposed, made it clear that they were going to stop the run and dare them to air it out. They wore them down and the wheels fell off. Pine has balance, size, speed, specials. I just don’t see anyone hanging with them in 5A. Maybe stalker and or lilroneo can shed some light on mid state and East?

PT can’t throw very well and that was exposed, made it clear that they were going to stop the run and dare them to air it out. They wore them down and the wheels fell off. Pine has balance, size, speed, specials. I just don’t see anyone hanging with them in 5A. Maybe stalker and or lilroneo can shed some light on mid state and East?
No team in the East will come close to PR and that a fact .

Reactions: new2pa and Soup13
No team in the East will come close to PR and that a fact .
Yo lilromeo (since I live outside Philly....Ha), how about central PA? Heading out to dinner but will get on the write ups more and maybe find some time to talk more about Mifflin/Warwick.

Yo lilromeo (since I live outside Philly....Ha), how about central PA? Heading out to dinner but will get on the write ups more and maybe find some time to talk more about Mifflin/Warwick.
Stalk, I leave central Pa. to you. Im sure they are better prepared to play PR than any 5 A in the East. BTW Im not degrading the Eastern teams in 5A just being real vs an opponent like PR this year.

Reactions: HSFB99
Stalk, I leave central Pa. to you. Im sure they are better prepared to play PR than any 5 A in the East. BTW Im not degrading the Eastern teams in 5A just being real vs an opponent like PR this year.
I hear you, half kidding and definitely agree the "east' appears weak especially without ES South. About Central PA, there's not really anymore to say except to repeat what I've been saying all year through the write ups about Warwick and Mifflin. Mifflin is bigger/stronger but Warwick has a more dynamic Qb. Both are loaded in everyway a team can be loaded; veterans, size, speed, especially GM, D1 players....or soon to be. Warwick has been struggling recently with Hempfield an under rated team and Saturday at home vs unheralded New Oxford while GM blows everyone away. Let's see how they come thru this week's game that will be a physical confrontation as many of the postseason games ae at this juncture. Laying everything on the line with no tomorrows.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo and Soup13
Great game for the Rams. It was very similar to the Penn-Trafford game. They shot themselves in the foot the first drive with penalties, but came roaring back to score 5 of their next 6 drives. The only thing that stopped them after that was a fumble on the first play of a drive. Something I noticed last week and again this week is that P-R uses a ton of formations. I guess they have done that all year, but they are no longer just a 4 WR team. I guess that showed with 2 kids running for over 100 yards (Spencer and Eastburn) and one more for about half that (Schweiger). In total, I think they rushed for just under 300 yards. Spencer was efficient but only through for 130. Despite a couple early drops, Jochem had a good night and passed Neil Walker to set the P-R career receptions record. The OL was again outstanding. Hondru from Peters was a non-factor at the LOS and MacMillon didn't make any splash plays either.

Defensively, P-R was outstanding. Didn't allow Peters much all night. Only time they got the ball deep was on a turnover at the 5 and one short play with a couple missed tackles. Held them out of the endzone all night. LB's Miller, Hasley and Waryanka are all really good. They are big and can run! The DL led by Jackson is outstanding as well. Don't make a lot of tackles besides Jackson (who must have had 3 tipped passes) but command double teams. The nice surprise has been the secondary, particularly Sam Neill #3. He's played outstanding all year but has been somewhat of a lock down corner as well as being very physical in the run game.

Another big test this week. I've watch GM on YouTube and they look pretty big and aggressive. Should be another good game.

Read the article about Miller and dad. The DL coach.Dad was a Heck of a player for Pitt. Coach K has a very high level staff. I am familiar with St Joes Preps staff and it is very similar with the assistants being very very good. Comparable to a collage program.

That was a good article. I knew he played but didn't know the details. I think there are three coaches that have senior kids. Miller, LB Coach and QB Coach. Hope they don't all leave after this year. Would be a dent in the staff.

Well, there is not a lot but at the same time a ton to say about the P-R vs. GM game.

It was incredible.

For HS kids not to just quit in the first half or the second when they were down by 3 scores is a testament to the kids and the coaches and the program they have built and the mindset and mentality. I've never seen anything like it before. And, that's not even counting the final comeback with under 3 minutes to go. That sequence of Offense and Defense is rare in HS football and its the 3rd best thing that happened Saturday.

In more detail, the GM offense is very solid. P-R made them not as explosive as they normally are with Singleton having huge gashing runs, but they couldn't consistently stop the dive play to the FB. #27 is one heck of a player. Also, their passing game made a couple big plays in key situations. I'm not sure how they got behind the secondary. In the second half I noticed on the NFHS copy that P-R had put in 5 DL, which seemed to help a little. I didn't really think anyone played poorly for P-R. Everyone seemed like they were flying to the ball. GM just kept pounding it for 2-3-4 yards at a time.

Offensively, P-R was very explosive - when they weren't turning the ball over! 3 INT's and a fumble. The first play of the game was a nightmare. I don't think they anticipated how tall that #11 was. It was downhill from there. One of the worst half's I've seen them play, but they managed to keep in close at the half. I really thought the turning point of the game was when they were down 41-19 in the 3rd and on consecutive series Spencer hit Jochem for deep TD's. That seemed to ignite the Rams and from that point they went on a 29-3 run to win. I don't remember all the details, but I think P-R had back to back to back stops coupled with short punts and P-R capitalized. GM's drive for the FG to go up 44-41 was epic. Had to be 15 plays and took forever. But, when they held them to a FG, i thought P-R had a chance. Then the final sequence with Spencer's long TD run, the defensive stop, and the key first down.

Amazing. Very happy for the Rams. I'm not sure there are many HS programs that could pull that off. Great mental toughness.

They've got another tough one this week with ECP. I think they may be down a little, but they are well coached and will play hard for sure. P-R MUST get rid of their dumb mistakes. The flubbed punt and guys getting behind them can't happen this week.

Reactions: Stalker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT