ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2020

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
New, I talked to some Pr football folks this weekend. it looks like Johnson is moving out of state. Also heard the Schweiger kid got hurt in an accident and may not be able to play as well. Big losses for PR with what they already do lose. Now have to replace entire secondary as well as a nice receiver. I think things are a little bit more even in 5A now.

I’ve been reading up on gateway a lot this off-season, I think their legit and PR’s biggest threat in 5A. I’ve heard their next QB coming up is better than the last two they had, and they are well coached passing team with explosive athletes everywhere. The price kid is the best receiver in this class from the Wpial imo, and the JR they have may be the best in his as well. Add Davis in the backfield and they look pretty legit again. I think PR’s distinct advantage in 5A will be their play on the lines, they return basically all the kids that saw time last year and they all have experience against the pcc D line, NAs lines, and practice against the guys they had in 2018 as well for the senior linemen. Might be the difference for them. It’ll be interesting though how PR adjusts defensively now, because 5A has a lot more spread offense teams compared to the mostly ground and pound teams PR played up in 6A.

Jacky, decided to start the P-R 2020 thread with your message.

I had heard rumors about Johnson's guardian taking a new job, but did not know they were moving. Also had heard nothing about Schweiger. Both would probably be two way starters. If Schweiger can't play then it will be a complete rebuild in the secondary. Who do they have? Will some of the other skill guys have to play there? Spencer? Jochem? Not a good matchup vs. the Gateway kids.

I think you are correct about what P-R has up front. That could be the difference. They should be really good with 4 of them returning and all at 250-270#'s.

And the skill cupboard isn't exactly bare with Spencer, Jochem, Hasley and Miller coming back at the WR positions. They probably need to find an outside WR unless they move Hasley there.

Also need to find a RB if Schweiger can't go. I've heard about a big Sophomore as well as Artie Burn's little brother.

Who is the Gateway QB going to be? I posted on another board a few months back about a transfer kid?

Reactions: lilromeo
My guess is Jochem probably plays safety with Charlie mill at the other spot. Jochem played DB a lot last year in certain packages. I’m not sure about the CB spots with Johnson out, maybe aregenas(?).
The younger burns is no longer on the team as well, I assume that correlated with Artie signing with the bears. I believe the heckert kid will be the main back, and he will be a damn good one too. He played up on jv as a freshman last year, and dominated. Reminds me of a faster slomka. Even losing Johnson on the outside, I still expect Pr to be very potent still. With the O line back the run game should be a factor again, and like you said the cupboard isn’t bare. Would be nice though to not have two way LBs.

Not sure the name on the gateway kid, I’ll post it when I find out.

Reactions: new2pa
OK, that sounds reasonable. Saw Mill last year as a backup on the outside a few times. Jochem looks very athletic but seems more of an offensive player. His Father is the QB coach, right? Don't know the Aregenas kid at all. Looks like they are going to need some DB's to step up no matter how you cut it. Hoping Schweiger can play too. He had a big interception in the WPIAL Championship game as a sophomore and played very well all last year back there.

Heckert was the kid I heard about. If he's built like Slomka, but faster, they have a chance to be very, very, very good. Hope he can pass protect too - because they haven't been very good at that IMO since the Graf kid 5 years ago. I see on twitter that Hayes and Jackson are getting G5 offers. And Swisher and King back too. They need to find a center. But, they will be able to throw the ball. And if they get some support in the run game, that will be lethal.

You are right about the LB's - Hasley and Miller. I don't think they can go both ways full time. Too much. Maybe they will split time like last year. Who will be the third LB? Last year in mop up time I saw 13 and 35 in a lot.

Jacky, decided to start the P-R 2020 thread with your message.

I had heard rumors about Johnson's guardian taking a new job, but did not know they were moving. Also had heard nothing about Schweiger. Both would probably be two way starters. If Schweiger can't play then it will be a complete rebuild in the secondary. Who do they have? Will some of the other skill guys have to play there? Spencer? Jochem? Not a good matchup vs. the Gateway kids.

I think you are correct about what P-R has up front. That could be the difference. They should be really good with 4 of them returning and all at 250-270#'s.

And the skill cupboard isn't exactly bare with Spencer, Jochem, Hasley and Miller coming back at the WR positions. They probably need to find an outside WR unless they move Hasley there.

Also need to find a RB if Schweiger can't go. I've heard about a big Sophomore as well as Artie Burn's little brother.

Who is the Gateway QB going to be? I posted on another board a few months back about a transfer kid?
Nice to see the passion you and Jackie have for PR.

Nothing else to do now! And they should have a really good team! Heard a lot of people saying (and I agree) that they could make another run to a state championship. Wish they were in school so we could get reports from spring practice.

Is there anything decent in the pipeline after this class? They're losing pretty much all of their playmakers on offense and a few offensive linemen. I have heard from one of the players I know that Kasperowicz and his staff may jump the shark if there's nothing worthy in the pipeline and the talent level plummets. I guess it's just speculation but he's thinking that this is their last chance to win states for a long time.

I have not heard anything about the staff leaving, besides the three coaches who all have kids that play and are seniors this fall may be done. Coach K has a son in middle school and I guessed he would want to coach him, but if they make another deep run to a title - which they could - maybehe says its time to go. I have also heard that colleges have approached him but he has turned them down so far.

They are going to lose around 8 on O and D. I know that the freshman team only lost one game and beat NA and PCC and Lebo, and heard that MS team was also undefeated. But, the best player on the MS team is moving away and that's going to be a big blow. The most interesting thing I did learn is that the younger group is really big on the line and small everywhere else - so maybe more a ground and pound approach in the future. Much like 2018 I would guess.

I counted roughly 20-25 players are graduating after this year. How do you they'll replace that much production considering you said that they're losing 8 starters on offense and defense?

I counted roughly 20-25 players are graduating after this year. How do you they'll replace that much production considering you said that they're losing 8 starters on offense and defense?

Not sure who's coming up, but IIRC they lost 8 starters on offense from the '17 team and did ok in '18. Much more of a run oriented attack that year. Also, I believe in '18, they lost 8 starts on the defensive side and still were very very good. I will try and find out some numbers in the next couple weeks.

Was able to talk to some parents this weekend and found out a couple things. I would take all this with a grain of salt, but I've gotten good intel before from these people. On offense, here's what they look like. Size and weight estimates.

DE *Miguel Jackson, Sr 6'1" 265
DE Conner Lens, Jr 6'3" 230
DL *Spencer King, Sr 5'11 270
DL Jacob Domer, Jr, 6'2" 270
LB *Luke Miller, Sr 6'2 205
LB *Jeramiah Hasley, Jr 6'2" 200
LB Zak Waranka, Sr 6' 205
CB Brook Eastburn, Jr. 5'9 175
CB Charlie Mill, Sr 6'1 185
S *Caden Sweiger, Sr 5'11 185
S Eli Jochem, Sr 6'1 180

* Returning starters

On defense, the front 7 looks to be very big and veteran. Jackson and Miller are both MAC kids and I was told the Hasley boy is getting looks by PItt and Penn State. Jackson was an All-State kid and can single highhandedly dominate the run and pass game. Miller (Kent State commit) is fast and nasty and Hasley may be the best of the bunch. Long, fast and strong. King and Schweiger both started last year. I hope they kind find a way to make them one way kids. I think the Waranka boy was a kicker last year but have been told he has really come on strong at LB which he played his entire life. Besides Schweiger, the secondary is a rebuild. Mill and Jochem are both seniors. Mill played a little last year on offense but don't recall seeing him much on D. Jochem played S last year in long yardage situations. Eastburn is penciled in at the other cornerback. Good athlete, but very short.

Judging from the returning guys, its going to be very very hard for anyone to run against P-R and with Jackson off the edge (265# HS DE!!!!) passing the ball could be hard too. Secondary will be tested because with Wentz, Boyd, Meckler and Bolin all gone, it is the weak spot. Not sure who in 5A has any kind of decent QB - Peters? Anybody else?

LT *John Swisher, Sr. 6' 260
LG *Spencer King, Sr 5'11 270
or
LG Jake Beam, So 6'4 240
C Isaiah Kearns, So 6'0 230
RG *Miguel Jackson, Sr 6'1" 265
RT *Harrison Hayes, Sr 6'3" 275
WR Charlie Mill, Sr 6'1 185
WR Alexander Gochiz, Jr 6'3 185
WR *Eli Jochem, Sr 6'1 180
WR *Jeramiah Hasley, Jr 6'2" 200
or
WR *Luke Miller, Sr 6'2 205
RB Caden Sweiger, Sr 5'11 185
QB: *Cole Spencer, Sr 5'10" 185

Offensively, 4 of the 5 OL and 3 of the top 4 WR's return. The OL is going to go from a weakness to a strength IMO. Hayes (Liberty Commit) and Jackson anchoring the RT side and Swisher and King returning on the left. Question mark is the SO Center Kearns. Was told he is a "throwback" so that is good. The skill positions center around returning QB Cole Spencer who was a Fab-22 player last year with nearly 4000 total yards and 45 TD's (Something like 3000/900 and 35/10). All-State Jochem was his favorite target with 14 TD's and over 1000 yards. Add to that Hasley and Miller as the "H" back and that's a pretty solid nucleus. The Gochiz boy is going to replace D'Avay Johnson - who is moving - big blow to the team. Also, Mill looks to fill in at the other WR spot unless someone else emerges. Schweiger will be the RB after being stuck behind Meckler the past few years.

That's all I got. Hopefully football will be played this fall because expectations are very high. Not quite 2017 level, but near that. Everyone I spoke with said not having to play SJP was a huge reason P-R elected to stay 5A.

Jacky, you hearing anything different?

Reactions: Khasley72
Saw on twitter P-R was back at practice today.

Also, playing Delaware Valley from D2 in Week 0 now.

What's the scouting report on them? Do you think they're a better matchup than Northern Highlands?

Pretty consistently good District 2 program - scrappy, will play tough. Not particularly modern, very run heavy offense, so probably won’t hang against Pine-Richland. Jason Henderson at linebacker is a three star, I think predictions have him going to Syracuse - he was 5th in the state at 195 last year and is probably a title contender as a wrestler, and a division I recruit if he wanted to go that route. Not really sure who else they bring back.

What Rover said is what I heard. They consistently lose to State College in the playoffs, who consistently loses to the WPIAL champion. I though Northern Highlands would have a better chance because they had a good returning QB and would have a chance to keep up with P-R, who's offense should be very good.

When Bryan Schor was there, they had a really nice team that put up big offensive numbers (lost the subregional final to Parkland 49-48 I think?). Schor obviously was a great quarterback, won a national title and was a 2x national player of the year finalist at James Madison, and threw for a million yards at Del Val. I think he’s the only WB with a playoff win over North Dakota State this decade. But they’ve pretty much been ground and pound since he left.

Last edited:
What are some of the reports out of camp? Are there any good players that are underclassmen? PR is gonna have to replace a lot of starters after this year. (If there's a season)

I haven't hard anything. They just started back last Monday. I will post if I hear anything.

What are some of the reports out of camp? Are there any good players that are underclassmen? PR is gonna have to replace a lot of starters after this year. (If there's a season)
That’s the same story every year. Coach K gets them ready, the middle school and youth teams have been very good for a while now. It’s all in the system

At a graduation party this weekend, I heard that P-R got 11th and 9th grade transfers that were the sons of a Steelers OL coach. Was told that they started playing football only a couple years ago, but were big athletic kids.

Also heard that they haven't been able to practice in groups of greater than 25, so no team type drills. OL is very big. Talking about a 10th grader starting at Center with 4 seniors that started last year. Hayes 275 (Liberty), Jackson 256 (Liberty), Kearns 240, King 280, Swisher 260.

Skill has been doing 7v7 against themselves. Very good as you would expect with a bunch of starters back. What I was told was that the WR's are all monsters for the position. Hasley 6'3, Goatchis 6'3, Jochem 6'1 and Mill 6'. I guess that means that the Miller boy who is also very good (Kent commit) is mostly playing defense or maybe a blocking sub. He's 6'2 210.

If football is played, maybe another deep run for the Rams.

Also heard that they haven't been able to practice in groups of greater than 25, so no team type drills. OL is very big. Talking about a 10th grader starting at Center with 4 seniors that started last year. Hayes 275 (Liberty), Jackson 256 (Liberty), Kearns 240, King 280, Swisher 260.

Skill has been doing 7v7 against themselves. Very good as you would expect with a bunch of starters back. What I was told was that the WR's are all monsters for the position. Hasley 6'3, Goatchis 6'3, Jochem 6'1 and Mill 6'. I guess that means that the Miller boy who is also very good (Kent commit) is mostly playing defense or maybe a blocking sub. He's 6'2 210.

If football is played, maybe another deep run for the Rams.
Just a question,I thought practice didn't begin until about August 10th or so. Are all PIAA teams practicing currently ??

At a graduation party this weekend, I heard that P-R got 11th and 9th grade transfers that were the sons of a Steelers OL coach. Was told that they started playing football only a couple years ago, but were big athletic kids.
Been a lot of transfer movement this offseason in the Wpial. NA got a big wideout from California and anouther nice athlete from kiski. I heard the kid going to PR is from north catholic, big athletic kid that was back up QB. Went to St. John Bosco in California freshman year. Seems like the kid could fill in Johnson’s role well.

Been a lot of transfer movement this offseason in the Wpial. NA got a big wideout from California and anouther nice athlete from kiski. I heard the kid going to PR is from north catholic, big athletic kid that was back up QB. Went to St. John Bosco in California freshman year. Seems like the kid could fill in Johnson’s role well.

If you had a choice, why would an offensive skill player transfer to NA vs. Pine? That doesn't make any sense to me. NA's offense is from 1985.

New - this isn’t college. How does a kid have a choice ? I guess the kid “ moving “ from California to Pennsylvania can choose to move into PR school district. He could also move to the Philadelphia area and attend Prep. The ability to freely move from one high school to another is killing high school sports .

New - this isn’t college. How does a kid have a choice ? I guess the kid “ moving “ from California to Pennsylvania can choose to move into PR school district. He could also move to the Philadelphia area and attend Prep. The ability to freely move from one high school to another is killing high school sports .

Ya, I guess the most likely situation is that the family moved into NA and the kid just happened to also be a football player. It was probably not a football decision. That's just what I assumed. NA and P-R are very similar demographically. P-R about 60% the size and WAY more successful in football in the last 6-8 years. LoL....

I'm not gonna lie, I smell recruiting when it comes to this kid from North Catholic. Dosen't it seem weird that a new QB is coming in when Spencer is graduating? What message will be sent to the other backups that a new kid came in from the outside and could potentially be the starter next year? I mean, Kenny White's transfer from West A was declined by the WPIAL, but approved by the PIAA. Also, I heard a story that a few years ago after Phil Jeurkovec graduated, PR tried to bring in two QB's from Ohio, but they got caught and one of the assistants(Cafardi) took the bullet for Kasperowicz. This all dosen't seem right, and high school transfers are fishy.

bummer: I will try and find out more about the North Catholic QB. I think Coach K has a son that's coming up soon and is a QB too.

Tracked down some info. The QB from North Catholic is now playing Defensive End and Offensive line.

I'm not gonna lie, I smell recruiting when it comes to this kid from North Catholic. Dosen't it seem weird that a new QB is coming in when Spencer is graduating? What message will be sent to the other backups that a new kid came in from the outside and could potentially be the starter next year? I mean, Kenny White's transfer from West A was declined by the WPIAL, but approved by the PIAA. Also, I heard a story that a few years ago after Phil Jeurkovec graduated, PR tried to bring in two QB's from Ohio, but they got caught and one of the assistants(Cafardi) took the bullet for Kasperowicz. This all dosen't seem right, and high school transfers are fishy.

That’s the game now. Runs like Pine-Richland’s don’t last forever, so you do whatever you can to maximize it. Erie Cathedral Prep isn’t turning kids away because they don’t feel good about it, and that’s who Pine-Richland has to beat. It’s all too far gone to do anything about it.

The last public school team to win a state title in the biggest class without a major transfer is Central Dauphin in 2011. The last one in 5A/3A is Selinsgrove in 2008. If you want to win at the highest levels, you have to find a way to supplement your roster.

From everything I hear around here, P-R's run of being a state level contender is going to go for a few more years. Highest expectations for this group of seniors, but nobody I talk to thinks that there is more than a 2 loss team in the next several years. Time will tell.

Big question here is what will Coach K (and his staff) do if this team makes another deep deep run. Strike while the iron is hot?

I highly doubt we'll even have a season. It makes little sense to play football or any sports when kids can't go to school in-person five days a week, let alone two as some schools are proposing.

Reactions: Bighead75
bummer, I think P-R would be one of the favorites to win States along with Imhotep, Warwick, and ECP.

I'm confident we will have a season of some form.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT