ADVERTISEMENT

2015: Imhotep VS Central Catholic

Vikingofpittsburgh

Sep 18, 2022
I was filing through maxpreps and looked upon the final year of the 4 classification format. 2015 is the year my team (PCC) won the state title in 4A. To say this team was loaded is putting it lightly. (Damar Hamlin was on this squad). However, I noticed they were ranked #2 in the state behind 3A champ Imhotep. This raised some questions from me:

How many times has the highest classification winner not been ranked #1 in the state?

Who do you think would have won in 2015 if PCC and Imhotep went head to head?

Did the coaching staff stunt what would have been potentially the greatest team of all time?

I always felt that the offense didn't open things up enough.

NA beat PCC in the regular season that year. I think that If central had one of Cherpak, Palko, Kasperowicz, or even kept art walker Jr., they’d be considered the “gold” standard for WPIAL football

NA beat PCC in the regular season that year. I think that If central had one of Cherpak, Palko, Kasperowicz, or even kept art walker Jr., they’d be considered the “gold” standard for WPIAL football
By medal count, the gold standard has to be Aliquippa if I counted right; 4 gold, 4 silver. Then PCC 4/3, Clairton 4/2 and NA 3/0.

NA has won 3? I thought it was 2010 and 2012 and got beat in Semi's in 2011?

Reactions: new2pa and Stalker
I always thought that the 2015 team had more individual talent then any other state championship team but even with all that talent they they never really played to their full potential. I think they won a title that year on their talent alone. The wpial was stacked that year as well. Woodland hills, Penn Trafford, north Allegheny and pine Richland all could have easily won titles that year as well. It was also the last year of having 4 classifications.

By medal count, the gold standard has to be Aliquippa if I counted right; 4 gold, 4 silver. Then PCC 4/3, Clairton 4/2 and NA 3/0.
Yeah I’d say Aliquippa is “the team” for the Pittsburgh area. The passion there for football is unmatched

I’d say 2016 PCC also underperformed. Mercy ruled in the state title game with all that talent. Really made the WPIAL look bad that year.

I’d say 2016 PCC also underperformed. Mercy ruled in the state title game with all that talent. Really made the WPIAL look bad that year.
SJP was ahead 7-0 with about a minute left in the first half. I forget some of the details, but I remember that the PCC coaching staff made a couple of decisions (not running out the clock till halftime when they had possession at their own 20 or 30 with less than two minutes left in the half?) that gave the ball back to SJP with enough time for an offense with lots of explosive weapons to put up a quick seven and turn a quite even game into an uneven one just before the half.

The next year P-R got a TD shortly before the half against SJP that did something similar.

SJP was ahead 7-0 with about a minute left in the first half. I forget some of the details, but I remember that the PCC coaching staff made a couple of decisions (not running out the clock till halftime when they had possession at their own 20 or 30 with less than two minutes left in the half?) that gave the ball back to SJP with enough time for an offense with lots of explosive weapons to put up a quick seven and turn a quite even game into an uneven one just before the half.

The next year P-R got a TD shortly before the half against SJP that did something similar.
This game is where I started to see cracks in the coaching staff. I know St. Joes was very good, but that just simply can’t happen. 2019 also comes to mind. “Yinz” were missing QB and LB… and we couldn’t finish. Changes should have been made that offseason

I always thought that the 2015 team had more individual talent then any other state championship team but even with all that talent they they never really played to their full potential. I think they won a title that year on their talent alone. The wpial was stacked that year as well. Woodland hills, Penn Trafford, north Allegheny and pine Richland all could have easily won titles that year as well. It was also the last year of having 4 classifications.
I agree. Side note, PIAA should maybe try 5 classifications. 6 hurt the wpial

Reactions: sammyk
I'm not one to compare teams from one decade to another but really liked the Upper St. Clair team of 2006 that went 16-0; one of Coach Render's finest and he had a few!

Reactions: Aragorn
I was filing through maxpreps and looked upon the final year of the 4 classification format. 2015 is the year my team (PCC) won the state title in 4A. To say this team was loaded is putting it lightly. (Damar Hamlin was on this squad). However, I noticed they were ranked #2 in the state behind 3A champ Imhotep. This raised some questions from me:

How many times has the highest classification winner not been ranked #1 in the state?

Who do you think would have won in 2015 if PCC and Imhotep went head to head?

Did the coaching staff stunt what would have been potentially the greatest team of all time?
That Tep team was also loaded with talent. I believe they had 6-7 D-1 players on that squad to include Shaka Toney /Penn State .Upshur /Florida State ,Mikr Waters I believe Arizona State and some huge Linemen one of which I think went to Oklahoma.

That Tep team was also loaded with talent. I believe they had 6-7 D-1 players on that squad to include Shaka Toney /Penn State .Upshur /Florida State ,Mikr Waters I believe Arizona State and some huge Linemen one of which I think went to Oklahoma.
That lineman was Durant.

About 2015: Parkland should not have been the rep from the east in the championship. The interference call against LaSalle in the playoff game against Parkland was one of the worst I've ever seen. It handed the win to Parkland (whose QB, if I remember correctly, played with a significant injury in the championship.

Reactions: lilromeo
interesting timely topic! When Hamlin had his injury, i was looking at PCC info- that 2015 team!! From that roster, 4 kids are currently playing in the NFL, that's crazy- pretty clear it had good talent! And yes- PCC was not adjusting to "modern schemes."

Viking- i agree, 5 classes would be better than 6. Also- what are your reactions to the "new current staff?" Seems good- but maybe too much change? And can you enlighten me on this years schedule? How were they able to schedule game 2 / week 1 with a non-Wpial team? I thought that could only happen with week zero?

About 2015: Parkland should not have been the rep from the east in the championship. The interference call against LaSalle in the playoff game against Parkland was one of the worst I've ever seen. It handed the win to Parkland (whose QB, if I remember correctly, played with a significant injury in the championship.
I was there also and totally agree that Lasalle got jobbed. I thought that the Refs were going to have a problem getting out of there .

Devante Cross was the Parkland QB. He tore his MCL on the TD run in overtime against LaSalle. He ran for 1,385 that season, but only 27 of those yards came in the semifinal against Upper Dublin and the final against Pittsburgh Central Catholic after the ligament tear. He did throw for 240 against Upper Dublin and 268 against Pittsburgh Central Catholic, but was totally one dimensional after being one of the better run/pass threats in Pennsylvania in the early 2010s. Parkland was nowhere near as good as PCC on total talent that year, but I would have liked to see what a healthier Cross could have done.

Cross's best game was probably his state quarters in 2014 against St. Joseph's Prep, where he threw for 283 yards and four touchdowns and ran for 96 yards in a 34-30 loss. He brought Parkland back from down 20-3 to take a 30-27 lead deep into the fourth quarter. D'Andre Swift scored a 50 yard TD with about three minutes to play to knock that Parkland team out.

Cross ended up playing safety at Virginia, where he was a three year starter and got a cup of coffee with the Green Bay Packers in the NFL.

Devante Cross was the Parkland QB. He tore his MCL on the TD run in overtime against LaSalle. He ran for 1,385 that season, but only 27 of those yards came in the semifinal against Upper Dublin and the final against Pittsburgh Central Catholic after the ligament tear. He did throw for 240 against Upper Dublin and 268 against Pittsburgh Central Catholic, but was totally one dimensional after being one of the better run/pass threats in Pennsylvania in the early 2010s. Parkland was nowhere near as good as PCC on total talent that year, but I would have liked to see what a healthier Cross could have done.

Cross's best game was probably his state quarters in 2014 against St. Joseph's Prep, where he threw for 283 yards and four touchdowns and ran for 96 yards in a 34-30 loss. He brought Parkland back from down 20-3 to take a 30-27 lead deep into the fourth quarter. D'Andre Swift scored a 50 yard TD with about three minutes to play to knock that Parkland team out.

Cross ended up playing safety at Virginia, where he was a three year starter and got a cup of coffee with the Green Bay Packers in the NFL.
And I remember Parkland had a very good, quite tall receiver who caught, I think. two TD passes against SJP in 2014.

The injury to Cross reminds us how foolish it is to say ahead of time, especially this far ahead of time, that team x is a shoe-in for a state title. The year Parkland and P-R almost beat the Prep (2014) was the year John Reid missed all the games beyond the city championship with a bad leg injury. He was obviously one of the best DBs in the state--maybe the best--and his absence no doubt had a lot to do with the fact that both Parkland and P-R were quite successful throwing against the Prep. This is not to take anything away from Parkland and P-R, both of which may have had key players of their own on the sidelines. Just to say that an injury to one key player, e.g., Reid in 2014 and Cross in 2015 can make a very big difference.

I'm not one to compare teams from one decade to another but really liked the Upper St. Clair team of 2006 that went 16-0; one of Coach Render's finest and he had a few!
Yes, that was a great team. I’m interested to see how Render is remembered on this board. Is he on the modern WPIAL Mount Rushmore? Palko and Cherpak are locks. The next 2 spots could be debated….

A few candidates:
Render (most wins in WPIAL)
Walker Jr. (Won state titles at 2 different schools)
Ledonne (^^)
Kasperowicz (built great program at PR, is trying to do the same at mars)

I take it this team was Imhotep “best” ever?

interesting timely topic! When Hamlin had his injury, i was looking at PCC info- that 2015 team!! From that roster, 4 kids are currently playing in the NFL, that's crazy- pretty clear it had good talent! And yes- PCC was not adjusting to "modern schemes."

Viking- i agree, 5 classes would be better than 6. Also- what are your reactions to the "new current staff?" Seems good- but maybe too much change? And can you enlighten me on this years schedule? How were they able to schedule game 2 / week 1 with a non-Wpial team? I thought that could only happen with week zero?
Time will tell, but HUGE fan of a new staff. I want it to be a clean slate. Really it should had happened 5 years ago. Likely shaky start at first, but should be good my mid season

Regarding schedule, that’s a good question. My guess is that with 5 teams in Wpial 6A, we get a little more leeway. I think Wpial is kinda at a loss at what to do with 6A, 5 team League is quite frankly a joke. I’ll leave it at that. St. Ignatius should be a good game. Not exactly St. Edwards, but a test nonetheless

And I remember Parkland had a very good, quite tall receiver who caught, I think. two TD passes against SJP in 2014.

The injury to Cross reminds us how foolish it is to say ahead of time, especially this far ahead of time, that team x is a shoe-in for a state title. The year Parkland and P-R almost beat the Prep (2014) was the year John Reid missed all the games beyond the city championship with a bad leg injury. He was obviously one of the best DBs in the state--maybe the best--and his absence no doubt had a lot to do with the fact that both Parkland and P-R were quite successful throwing against the Prep. This is not to take anything away from Parkland and P-R, both of which may have had key players of their own on the sidelines. Just to say that an injury to one key player, e.g., Reid in 2014 and Cross in 2015 can make a very big difference.
Kenny Yeboah was the receiver. He ended up playing three, kind of non-descript years at Temple, then transferring to Ole Miss where he was All-SEC and got signed by the Jets - he famously went off for 181 yards and three TD catches against Alabama that year. He was a really nice player.

Reactions: lilromeo
I think that all but confirms that totten didn’t really “retire” but was likely just forced out with his top assistants

Good year for new staff. PCC is loaded with great seniors IMO. Perhaps best group since 2015/2016.

Good year for new staff. PCC is loaded with great seniors IMO. Perhaps best group since 2015/2016.
Flipping that, I think it's potentially a bad year for the players learning new systems, terms, personalities, etc to deal with. Sure like to see this groups many are calling special with a established 'in-place' staff.

Flipping that, I think it's potentially a bad year for the players learning new systems, terms, personalities, etc to deal with. Sure like to see this groups many are calling special with a established 'in-place' staff.

Well, ya. I would say that there would be carryover at least on offense from what they did before, but IIRC, last year at SV was not what I expected from Lehmeier in O. But he hired the OC from Hempfield who was all spread so maybe more of that this year. They have the personnel.

Defense may be a complete change. PCC was a C2 team forever with some change ups depending on who they played. The DC is from North Catholic and ran a 3 down 5/2 type front. They definitely have the LBs, but you need some studs at those three down positions. They have studs, but may need to play both ways.

But I don’t think any of this matters after week 0 until the WPIAL championship and beyond.

Of course I said something similar about SV last year and they were a train wreck…

This is not to take anything away from Parkland and P-R, both of which may have had key players of their own on the sidelines. Just to say that an injury to one key player, e.g., Reid in 2014 and Cross in 2015 can make a very big difference.
Parkland lost Noel Brouse in the D11 final that year to a separated shoulder - Brouse played left tackle on offense and defensive end on defense, 6'5 270ish kid, who was All State the next season and ended up playing on the offensive line at UConn. Obviously not to the level of Reid that year, but a state-caliber 2-way lineman who didn't play that game.

He, Cross, and Yeboah came back as seniors and were the All State kids on the 2015 that went to state finals.

Yes, that was a great team. I’m interested to see how Render is remembered on this board. Is he on the modern WPIAL Mount Rushmore? Palko and Cherpak are locks. The next 2 spots could be debated….

A few candidates:
Render (most wins in WPIAL)
Walker Jr. (Won state titles at 2 different schools)
Ledonne (^^)
Kasperowicz (built great program at PR, is trying to do the same at mars)
Vikingofpittsburgh, what is the 'modern WPIAL Mount Rushmore. Might get more responses if you define eras, otherwise I'm thinking Joe Hamilton, Yanessa, etc.

Vikingofpittsburgh, what is the 'modern WPIAL Mount Rushmore. Might get more responses if you define eras, otherwise I'm thinking Joe Hamilton, Yanessa, etc.
I’m not entirely sure what classifies as modern. Maybe post 1988, since that was first year of state playoffs. However, comparing a game from 1988 and this past season seems disingenuous. Play designs are completely changed. Makes you wonder what football will look like in 20-30 years LOL

You can set up whatever format you wanted. Starting with 2015 since that's a topic, up to 2024, then 2005-2014, 10-year chunks, then back 15 years with that period....and thereon....roughly being pre-spread taking over.
I'm thinking you need some structure to avoid the impossibility of comparing 1988's champ with St. Joes ?*!

For starters,

WPIAL:
-----------
Pre-1988: ?
1988-2000: ?
2001-2010: PCC 2004
2011-2020: PR 2017
2021-2030:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT