ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA State Duals

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
Today opens state duals in 2A and 3A. I won't follow the 2A tournament particularly closely (Faith Christian will win in a rout) but the 3A has more intrigue than has existed in years. This is the most parity at the top of the big school classification that I have seen in years. There are legitimately seven teams that could win a state championship on Saturday if everything breaks right. Today, with one exception, is probably going to be chalk outcomes, tomorrow's quarterfinal round is total fireworks.

The top half of the bracket is loaded. Council Rock South wrestles Franklin Regional today and should beat them handily. CRS comes in ranked as the #1 team in the state by PaPower, and despite the ineligibility of state #1 Anthony Mutarelli (127), they are still loaded. Connor Lenehan (114), Luke Reitter (121, probably wrestling up at 127), Pat Woloshyn (127/133), Gavin Cole (160), and Bekruz Saddridinov (172) are all projected state medalists, with Saddridinov (a Lehigh commit) the top ranked wrestler in Pennsylvania at his weight.

CRS will face the winner of Central Mountain and Boiling Springs. Central Mountain is ranked #2 in the state, so the looming quarterfinal is massive. Central Mountain is probably the most star studded lineup in the field, with two former state champs in Dalton Perry (139/145) and Luke Simcox (139/145/152). Simcox has been hurt for a lot of the year and has wrestled at wildly fluctuating weights since his return, so where he slots in has a lot of intrigue. They also have wrestlers ranked near the top of the state in Griffin Walizer (#4 at 152) and Rocco Serafini (#7 at 215), so bonus points will be there ticket to keep moving on.

Selinsgrove and Trinity should be a win for the District 7 champs. The teams are weird match ups, with Selinsgrove really good from 189 and up and Trinity having their strength in the middle and lower parts of their lineups. Lots of falls here.

Last match on top is Bethlehem Catholic and Central Dauphin. Certainly a premier match up of blue bloods and the Hawks are looking to match Central Dauphin's run of four straight state championships, which the Rams did from 2008-2011. Bethlehem Catholic should win comfortably, but keep an eye out for a possible match up of state champ Kollin Rath (Missouri commit) and two-time state state finalist Ryan Garvick (Indiana commit) at 160.

The lower half feels wide open once quarters hit, but should be kind of chalk today. Gettysburg and LaSalle meet at the top and the Warriors really don't have a star, but they are one of the most balanced lineups in the tournament and should be able to overwhelm the D12 champ.

West Scranton takes on Easton in a preview of a lot of Northeast Regional match ups come individual time. West Scranton actually has more stars than the Red Rovers, with Michael Turi (145) a possible state finalist and Connor Lagier (#6 at 107) and Tyson Cook (#7 at 127) setting up for really good match ups with Easton lineup anchors Noah Fenner (#5 at 107) and Chris Kelly (#9 at 127). But one through thirteen, Easton is too deep.

In other years, Erie Cathedral Prep and Pennridge would be a big match up, but the Ramblers are not a power team this year and Pennridge is a very strong lineup after getting alot of guys healthy. Colby Martinelli (#2 at 114) is the headliner, but Cole Coffin (#6 at 121), Quinn McBride (#8 at 127), Sam Kuhns (#10 at 152), and Talan Hogan (#10 at 172) are all hammers in their own right. The Rams are a sneaky pick to make finals.

Biggest toss up match of the day is Connellsville and Wilson West Lawn in the bottom of the bracket. Again, the winner here could make a run all the way to finals. Connellsville is tough through the middle with the Vielma brothers (Kai is #7 at 133 and Lonny is #6 at 160) and Evan Petrovich (#4 at 145). West Lawn counters with four real hammers in McKaden Speece (#6 at 127), James Garcia (#6 at 133), Blaise Eidle (#7 at 172) and Ryan McMillan (#7 at 215). Vielma-Garcia may be a toss up that decides the dual if it happens.

Reactions: Relayer
Quarterfinal Scores
Council Rock South 37 Franklin Regional 24
Central Mountain 35 Boiling Springs 25
Trinity 54 Selinsgrove 14
Bethlehem Catholic 37 Central Dauphin 18

Gettysburg 45 LaSalle 12
Easton 44 West Scranton 17
Pennridge 48 Erie Cathedral Prep 13
Wilson West Lawn 30 Connellsville 29

West Lawn bumped Garcia away from the younger Vielma, Evan Petrovich held to a 9-2 regular decision (no bonus point), and Ethan Brownback won a 1-0 decision at 189 to make the difference. West Lawn went up 7 points after 114 and forfeited the last weight to account for the final score.

In terms of lineup moves - Rocco Serafini from Central Mountain wrestled at 189 after being ranked in the top 8 at 215 all year.

Most interesting individual result was in Easton-West Scranton. Connor Lagier (West Scranton) is ranked #6 at 107, Nick Salamone (Easton) is making a weight descent down to 107 for the individual postseason. They met at 114 and Salamone absolutely put it on Lagier, beating him 14-2. I was skeptical of Salamone's move down (and what it means for Noah Fenner, who also is a contender at 107 but is going to end up at 114), but if that's what he's going to do against top competition at 107, he can win it.

In quarters today (2 PM), Bethlehem Catholic is going to roll Trinity, but the other three are excellent. Here's what I've got -

#1 Council Rock South vs. #2 Central Mountain
107: Eddie Alvarez vs. #18 Gavin Heverly - major
114: #8 Connor Lenahan vs. Collin Bauman - fall
121: #7 Luke Reitter vs. #11 Aiden Kunes - decision
127: Christian Zimmerman vs. Patrick Tarantella - decision
133: #13 Pat Woloshyn vs. Mario Serafini - fall
139: Ajay Bhatt vs. Carnell Noone - major
145: #15 Ben Brillhart vs. #5 Dalton Perry - fall
152: Max Nepochatov vs. #2 Luke Simcox - fall
160: #7 Gavin Cole vs. #4 Griffin Walizer - decision
172: #1 Bekhruz Sadriddinov vs. Jacob Weaver - fall
189: Aidan Murray vs. Bryce Brungard - decision
215: Scott Linkewich vs. #8 Rocco Serafini - fall
285: Jeff Gessner vs. Giovanni Tarantella - fall
Projected Final Score: Council Rock South 31-31 (criteria D, most matches won)
PA Power's Score Projection: Central Mountain 32-27

So I score each bout then add up the scores at the end and don't waiver after my picks. So while I didn't intend it to be a tie score on my bout sheet, it's what I've got. The dual is going to be massively close. The key will be, do Central Mountain's stars score enough bonus points to offset the better depth of Council Rock South. Perry is a big move guy, so I have him sticking Brillhart. He and Simcox are back to back state champs in the lineup and need 12. I think they also need that from Serafini and Tarantella at heavyweight. In this scenario, it comes down to Gavin Cole and Griffin Walizer. Both are state medal type kids, Walizer is a little more highly regarded, but Cole has wrestled well against a killer schedule. I have the slight upset, with Walizer giving up some weight (Perry, Simcox, and Walizer are 139-145-152 for the postseason) which obviously is the difference in a dual this close.

#4 Easton vs. #5 Gettysburg
107: #5 Noah Fenner vs. #11 William Yordy - decision
114: #9 Nick Salamone vs. Blake Haines - fall
121: Ethan Krazer vs. #20 Myles Grossman - major
127: Ben Riehl vs. Kainan Holmes - major
133: #9 (at 127) Chris Kellyvs. #11 Isiah Jackson - decision
139: #7 Ben Fanelli vs. Reid Grossman - major
145: Jaron Trimmer vs. #7 Gabe Pecaitis - fall
152: #15 Quentin Hammerstone vs. Caden Shearer - major
160: #18 James Geiger vs. #12 Nolan Reinert - decision
172: #24 Justin Cosover vs. Jahanzaib Nasiri - fall
189: #16 Shae Linegar vs. #11 (at 172) Jaxon Townsend - decision
215: Kurtis Crossman vs. Mason Rebert - decision
285: LD Conyers vs. Adrian Ramirez - fall
Projected Final Score: Easton 32-23
PA Power's Score Projection: Easton 26-19

Should be a really fun dual. These are similarly built teams, they don't have a national caliber kid, but it's lots of really solid kids up and down the lineup that are physical and tough. The swing matches are Fenner and Yordy - Yordy was a state qualifier as a freshman and was in the top 5 in the state a lot of the year before some late season losses, Kelly and Jackson if it happens will go a long way to determiing the team score, or Easton could keep Kelly down at 127 and try and trade bonus, Geiger and Reinert is probably a state quarter on the individual side too, Geiger has looked really good the further he gets from his December knee surgery, and Linegar and Townsend is another that may not happen, which in that case Townsend and Cosover would also be a marquee bout.

#7 Pennridge vs. #8 Wilson West Lawn
107: Kevin McFadden vs. Trevor Herzog - fall
114: #2 (at 114) Colby Martinelli vs. Isaac Eidle - fall
121: #6 Cole Coffin vs. Reese Eidle - major
127: #8 Quinn McBride vs. #6 McKaden Speece - decision
133: Dany Metzler vs. #6 James Garcia - fall
139: Anthony Granite vs,. Jameson McKeown - fall
145: Brady McMahon vs. Dominic Delgado - decision
152: #13 Sam Kuhns vs. Matteo Garcia - decision
160: Ryan Gallagher vs. Kameron Koch - decision
172: #10 Talan Hogan vs. #7 Blaise Eidle - decision
189: Ryan Rowe vs. Ethan Brownback - decision
215: #23 Riley Cullen vs. #7 Ryan McMillan - decision
285: Chase Washington vs. #21 Logan Kurzweg - fall
Projected Score: Pennridge 31-24
The Rams are looking really tough, I know Easton is concerned with how they'd match up in a semi. I thought this would be closer before I mapped it down, Pennridge should roll. This was a match up back at the Brian Bealer duals in December, with Wilson West Lawn winning 33-26. But there was no Martinelli, Granite, McMahon, Gallagher, or Rowe in that match, and Coffin and McBride are down two weight classes in a way that totally changes the match ups. In fact, the only repeat matches are Hogan-Eidle (7-2 Eidle last time), McMillan Cullen (7-3 McMillan) and Kurzweg-Washington (pin by Kurzweg)

Reactions: bucksftball
Central Mountain over CRS: 32-27
I’m glad CRS got two majors and a pin from 121-133, so they only could have gotten two more points from Mutarelli. Had a psychological difference I’m sure, but wasn’t a determining factor on the scoreboard. I wasn’t watching so didn’t see what happened with the injury default at 160. Walizer may well have pinned there anyway, but that is a back breaker.

Easton over Gettysburg: 29-21
Red Rovers lose 6 of the first 8, then roll off the final five by bumping their upper weights up and having their stars at 107/114 close it. Huge win by Kurtis Crossman giving up 70 points at heavyweight to win 3-2. Noah Fenner continues an awesome season by riding the snot out of state qualifier William Yordy to give Easton their first lead. Then Salamone finished it with a pin. Also sneaky great not giving up bonus at 127 or 145. That wins matches

Pennridge over Wilson West Lawn: 30-24
Nice having Colby Martinelli to close out a 24-all dual. Quick fall moves them the deepest they’ve ever been in this tourney. Talan Hogan reversing a decisive December loss to Blaise Eidle is the other massive match there (both top ten guys statewide).

Bethlehem Catholic again looked kind of sloppy before getting a big fall at heavyweight from Jacob Lance to move on.

Tonight, give me Easton in a VERY close match, I could see Easton bumping away from Hogan like they did today and going Cosover-Linegar-Crossman up top to try and clear out the upper weights. Should be fun.

Give me Central Mountain over Becahi.

Give me a cigarette after that, holy shit.

First state final for the Rovers since 2011. Can we win our first title since 2004?

Becahi handled Central Mountain. Will be tough.

An all D11 final, some things never change. Will be rooting for Easton tomorrow.

An all D11 final, some things never change. Will be rooting for Easton tomorrow.
This is the 20th tournament since the field expanded in 2005 and D11 started getting two teams. 3A has been an all-D11 final in 2007, 2017, 2019, 2022, 2023, and 2024. 30% of the time is a pretty good ratio. This is the fourth different combination of D11 teams - Easton/Nazareth, Nazareth/Becahi, and Becahi/Northampton are the others. Plus one year of Notre Dame/Saucon Valley in 2A.

Hoping tomorrow is like 2007 in terms of the series - that year Nazareth won the regular season, Easton won D11, Nazareth won states. I think it will be tight; Becahi feels like they have more chess moves, and I’m worried about Salamone against elite 114 pounders after losing to Dillard last week and getting pinned by Martinelli tonight. And j don’t think Easton can win without Salamone beating Dillard again.

Also, we are 20 years away from the last Easton state title. Looking back at the box score, quite the collection of talent -

189 - Zach Pizarro dec. James Tony, 8-4 (3-0)
Pizarro started at NC State, then transferred and was a D3 All American at Wilkes

215 - Marcus Millen pinned Joshua Brewer, 2:40 (9-0)
Millen played defensive end at Army

275 - Jason Groller maj. dec. Jason Shannon, 18-7 (13-0)
Groller was a D2 All American for Shippensburg and was an all PSAC defensive end.

103 - JuJu Drummond won by tech. fall over P.J. Holden, 20-3; 5:51 (18-0)
Juju was a state medalist as an upperclassman

112 - Josh Oliver dec. Jake Knepper, 3-2 (21-0)
Josh went to state finals at the end of this season, then wrestled at West Virginia

119 - Seth Ciasulli dec. Steve Bell, 4-3 (24-0)
Seth was a 3x NCAA qualifier, EIWA champ, and blood round finisher at Lehigh. Bell was a state champ in 05 and a 2x All American at Maryland

125 - Alex Krom maj. dec. Zach Snyder, 9-1 (28-0)
Krom was an All American and University World Team member at Maryland. Snyder walked on at Penn State

130 - Andrew Goldstein dec. Ashtin Primus, 8-2 (31-0)
Goldstein was a 2x D3 All American at Gettysburg, Primus won two state titles and wrestled at Missouri, then was an NAIA national champion and 2x finalist for Notre Dame College (OH)

135 - Braylin Williams dec. Adam Bucci, 2-1 (34-0)
Williams medaled in March

140 - Josh Martin pinned Willie Drummond, 3:09 (34-6)
Martin finished third in the state the next season

145 - Kyle Martin dec. Jordan Nettuno, 6-3 (34-9)
Nettuno wrestled at Purdue. Martin medaled states that March.

152 - Mike Rogers won by tech. fall over Buddy Sines, 15-0; 2:39 (39-9)
Rogers won states that March, his second title, and signed with Nebraska. An academic non-qualifier, he ended up at junior college, then was a D2 NCAA finalist at Carson-Newman (TN)

160 - Jarrod King dec. Sean Richmond, 6-4 (39-12)
Jarrod King was an NCAA champ and 3x All American after transferring to Edinboro from Oklahoma. He won two state titles at Connellsville, plus lost to Rogers in finals as a sophomore. Richmond was a 2x NCAA qualifier at Pitt.

171 - Jason Doppelheuer pinned Kyle Dailey, 7:21 OT (39-18)
Doppelheuer won 125 matches in his career at Connellsville

Starting at 107

Fenner techs Hower, couldn’t pin him at the end of the second before thhe buzzer and had to settle for a 16-0 win. 5-0 Easton, but that’s one less point than they’ve had in the last two match ups

Dillard-Salamone up, might decide the state title right here

Dillard beats Salamone 1-0. Salamone can’t get an escape in the final seconds of the 2nd period. He wastes a minute trying to ride in the third period, then can’t get a takedown in the last minute. Shit.

Krazer saves Easton a team point only getting teched by Keanu Dillard.

Kelly-Campbell out at 127. Huge one here

Kelly beats Campbell 7-3

Fanelli officially cuts to 133, beats Thomas 16-6. Fanelli can make a finals run in March down there

Got away from Easton in the middleweights

Frinzi pins Trimmer
McFillin pins Carss
Scanlan majors Hammerstone
Easton forfeits to Rath to try and chase everybody up
Becahi returns the favor by forfeiting to Geiger
Cosover beats Cruz 5-1, but needed bonus

DeLuise up 4-1 on Linegar at 215. If he wins, Becahi clinched it

DeLuise wins Bethlehem Catholic a third straight state title with a 9-4 win over Shae Linegar at 215

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT