ADVERTISEMENT

wood vs harrisburg

00shoe

Dec 24, 2003
Should be no problem for Wood. Lines for Harrisburg lack technique, first step straight up. Must have the line coach from bishop mcdevitt.

Reactions: pcc64
Harrisburg coach making bad decisions use the big back play action then throw
#23 is a beast

Parsons is the best player on the field, and it's not even close.

23 a man child. Wood needs to go North/south & some play action which should help QB. Harrisburg QB has a great arm.

23 is the PSU recruit who transferred from CD just before the season started under some unusual situation. Stud

23 transferred mid season like 7 games in. So did Patterson. This is like the transfer bowl.

I was big proponent of Catholic League getting into Piaa so I would never have to hear the old saw that insert team here would never compete with whatever Piaa team.

However everything about this now seems filthy in name of winning state titles. This goes we'll beyond recruiting with all these hs transfers. Now the publics do it in order to aggregate talent or a player here or there to put you over the top or compete with open boundary schools.

It's cess pool and everyone is complict. One mans opinion but it's embarrassing. It's not neighborhood hs football or really even hs football. It really is all star football. I'm a 30 year catholic league guy I'm officially on board with fact that catholic league entry ruined both catholic league football and now Piaa football.

23 transferred mid season like 7 games in. So did Patterson. This is like the transfer bowl.

I was big proponent of Catholic League getting into Piaa so I would never have to hear the old saw that insert team here would never compete with whatever Piaa team.

However everything about this now seems filthy in name of winning state titles. This goes we'll beyond recruiting with all these hs transfers. Now the publics do it in order to aggregate talent or a player here or there to put you over the top or compete with open boundary schools.

It's cess pool and everyone is complict. One mans opinion but it's embarrassing. It's not neighborhood hs football or really even hs football. It really is all star football. I'm a 30 year catholic league guy I'm officially on board with fact that catholic league entry ruined both catholic league football and now Piaa football.
I don't disagree with you but as I said 2 weeks ago to make the field even just let kids go wherever they want as long as the school will take them. I don't think the PIAA will step in to block transfers in the future.

Reactions: pcc64
We will see what precedent may be set as I hear a np wrestler has transferred to Pope John Paul and may be getting a hard time as np may block this attempt. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I understand completely where you're coming from. But I think the Catholic League that you and I remember--or even anything close to it--wouldn't and couldn't exist now whether or not the PCL had joined the PIAA. You hit it on the head when you mentioned "neighborhood hs football." PCL schools, with the exception of SJP and LaSalle, used to be rooted in neighborhoods. When I was at SJP, Dougherty had about 6,000 students and they all came from one part of the city. MBS must have sent 50 boys a year to West Catholic--maybe more. Given all that's happened--one result of which is that the existing schools range so widely in size--there's really no way there can be a true league. Look what happened to N-G this year.

There is also the reality that, unlike in the past (when all the kids at Catholic schools were Catholics whose families, in the main, were practicing Catholics) Catholic schools have, for reasons having nothing to do with sports, been recruiting and accepting students from virtually all religious backgrounds. This too has made the neighborhood hs a memory in terms of the PCL--and, of course, it has greatly widened the pool of students, including those who play football, any particular school can draw from.

None of this means that schools (including coaches and ADs) are exempt from acting honorably, especially with respect to transfers. I suspect that some schools have made troubling compromises with respect to their values and standards (academic and behavioral). On the other hand, schools, including some of the same ones that have made such compromises, seem to have tried to do better and have not crossed lines they may have once crossed.

I feel pretty conflicted about it all, but I know the status quo ante is irretrievable.

Reactions: lilromeo
Green : you are 100% correct. The days of a true neighborhood team winning anything at the big school levels ( 4 A on up ) are done. And if it ever does happen it will be a mini miracle , like Hoosiers. A team like Academy Park , where 90% of the roster has been playing together since third grade and everyone lives within 2 miles of each other is 5 tds or more worse than Wood.
I think in the not too distant future some public school coach , just to prove a point , is going to bring in 10-15 transfers , rent apartments for the kids in the school district so they are all legal , and openly flaunt it as being legitimate. It would be Cheaper to rent an a
Apartment for 9 months than pay private / Catholic school tuition. You see some public schools do it now with one or two transfers. Imagine if they brought in a new team of 11?

Speed I agree that is likely to happen. However it won't be to prove a point it will be the same reason it always is so an adult (coach and parent) can game a system and win.

Public schools complicit in this as well. Tons of shade to go around. Look at QBs in District 1 6a and 5a finals for evidence. The atomosphere around all of this and what people are willing to do to win is down right embarrassing. This mercenary element cheapens all of that great things that hs football does for kids who participate and all the good that is learned.

To me this to a great extent has been boiled down to one premise winning games and championships at dam near any cost. Senior transfers, kids taking addresses, etc,etc.

Where is the line? I'm envisioning being a kid who participates in an offseason program from January on and hearing a coach preach commitment and family only to take mid year transfers on Halloween and play them both ways because they are studs and help "us" win.

What happens when stud quarterback on a team who goes 1-3 "moves" into new district who is 4-0 and qb went down with acl injury. Sounds crazy. No doubt some parent will rent an apartment over some dry cleaners and some coach would do this.

Adults have destroyed something that was inherently pure for fleeting moments of personal glory for themselves or for their kids whether they be parents or coaches. It's sad and now seen as totally acceptable behavior in our world.

The ultimate life long value of high school football is imparted whether your team is 4-7 or 11-0. This charlatan adult behavior at both private and public schools makes hs football lose all of its charm in my opinion.

I love you gang green. Values such as hard work, loyalty, friendship ( playing with your buddies) gone all in the name of winning. Many life lessons lost all in the name of winning some games. Whats the end game?

Should be no problem for Wood. Lines for Harrisburg lack technique, first step straight up. Must have the line coach from bishop mcdevitt.
Very impressed with Woods running game with Blackshear and Thompson. Devlin had a great game plan. The O line was firing all night .Parsons is a tremendous player. Got to give this Wood team their due.

Speed I agree that is likely to happen. However it won't be to prove a point it will be the same reason it always is so an adult (coach and parent) can game a system and win.

Public schools complicit in this as well. Tons of shade to go around. Look at QBs in District 1 6a and 5a finals for evidence. The atomosphere around all of this and what people are willing to do to win is down right embarrassing. This mercenary element cheapens all of that great things that hs football does for kids who participate and all the good that is learned.

To me this to a great extent has been boiled down to one premise winning games and championships at dam near any cost. Senior transfers, kids taking addresses, etc,etc.

Where is the line? I'm envisioning being a kid who participates in an offseason program from January on and hearing a coach preach commitment and family only to take mid year transfers on Halloween and play them both ways because they are studs and help "us" win.

What happens when stud quarterback on a team who goes 1-3 "moves" into new district who is 4-0 and qb went down with acl injury. Sounds crazy. No doubt some parent will rent an apartment over some dry cleaners and some coach would do this.

Adults have destroyed something that was inherently pure for fleeting moments of personal glory for themselves or for their kids whether they be parents or coaches. It's sad and now seen as totally acceptable behavior in our world.

The ultimate life long value of high school football is imparted whether your team is 4-7 or 11-0. This charlatan adult behavior at both private and public schools makes hs football lose all of its charm in my opinion.
Green,SPEED, tulla. being from the small town of Gettysburg, I can say that small town, neighborhood football still exists, but you have to go to rural America to find it.
It is alive and well there. It has to be there because there is nothing between Gburg, Bermudian Springs (York Spgs), Northern (Dillsburg) Hanover, Biglerville, Fairfield, Greencastle, Littlestown except open fields, apple orchards, cows and in the case of Hanover, horses. There is no incentive to transfer from the school in your hometown and that is positive because the rivalries in some cases go back to your dad and it really means (meant) something to beat the Apple Knockers as we called them from Biglerville in apple country.
But, travel north 27 miles and you get drawn into the things on this thread per proximity to Harrisburg areas big time football and of course Bishop McDevitt.

Conrgats to wood now move up vs some real competition in the payoffs I know they play people in reg season but the playoffs are a walk .From what I understand harrisburg should be 6a also .

I love you gang green. Values such as hard work, loyalty, friendship ( playing with your buddies) gone all in the name of winning. Many life lessons lost all in the name of winning some games. Whats the end game?

Why can't a kid win and experience the life lessons you speak of? Are you suggesting the Wood kids don't work hard, develop loyalty in some form, and create friendships? I hope not. That would be laughable.

Said nothing of wood my man. You people with the ridiculous and laughable comments. Just seconding gang greens comments.

Said nothing of wood my man. You people with the ridiculous and laughable comments. Just seconding gang greens comments.

Used them as an example.

Simple question. Yes or no? Can a team like Wood experience the life lessons and experiences you mentioned.

Here is your quote....

Explain it. If I misinterpreted what you said, then I'll say my bad.

Conrgats to wood now move up vs some real competition in the payoffs I know they play people in reg season but the playoffs are a walk .From what I understand harrisburg should be 6a also .
trap,Wood is a 4-Acategory team that did move up to 5-A. It would be nice if some folks here would give some positives about the way Wood played ,which IMO was a super effort. The thread turned into another bla bla bla about the same old stuff. I'm guessing folks didn't watch the actual game. At least you offered congrats.

Green : you are 100% correct. The days of a true neighborhood team winning anything at the big school levels ( 4 A on up ) are done. And if it ever does happen it will be a mini miracle , like Hoosiers. A team like Academy Park , where 90% of the roster has been playing together since third grade and everyone lives within 2 miles of each other is 5 tds or more worse than Wood.
I think in the not too distant future some public school coach , just to prove a point , is going to bring in 10-15 transfers , rent apartments for the kids in the school district so they are all legal , and openly flaunt it as being legitimate. It would be Cheaper to rent an a
Apartment for 9 months than pay private / Catholic school tuition. You see some public schools do it now with one or two transfers. Imagine if they brought in a new team of 11?
My alma mater (Whitehall), could have had Saquon Barkley, Dan Koppen, Matt Millen in his high school prime, and not won that game with Wood. Millen may have killed someone during the game, but winning would not be in the cards.

trap,Wood is a 4-Acategory team that did move up to 5-A. It would be nice if some folks here would give some positives about the way Wood played ,which IMO was a super effort. The thread turned into another bla bla bla about the same old stuff. I'm guessing folks didn't watch the actual game. At least you offered congrats.

Wood might be on the lower end of 5A, but I'm pretty sure they didn't move up.

Here is your quote....

Explain it. If I misinterpreted what you said, then I'll say my bad.
Burrs - he can't, he's been manipulating context to optimize perspective throughout most of these threads. Your point is valid and frankly as far as schools, SJP has been around a lot longer than most which deminishes that argument.
NB - notice the loudmouth Uptown Vike is missing? Gone the way of all the other screen names he used. No loss there.

Burr, you got me going crazy, I don't mention wood, don't use them as an example. I agreed with gang green on both public and private schools adult behavior ie recruitment and transfer of athletes in the name of winning is sad. Before that, mentioned possible np wrestler transfer to pjp may be held up and that should be interesting for now and in the future. Idk my man, all I got.

Burr, you got me going crazy, I don't mention wood, don't use them as an example. I agreed with gang green on both public and private schools adult behavior ie recruitment and transfer of athletes in the name of winning is sad. Before that, mentioned possible np wrestler transfer to pjp may be held up and that should be interesting for now and in the future. Idk my man, all I got.

A couple of things....

One, I don't give a crap about some wrestler. Transfer ten times for all I care.

Two, I used AW as example. Why? Because thread started on the heels of their win Friday night. It was relevant, but again, just an example. Oh yea, please don't tell me who I can or can't use as an example.

Moving forward....

I'll remove AW as the example and say generally any private, open enrollment school that wins instead.

Simple yes or no?

Can kids at these types of places experience the things you mentioned during their time there? You know, hard work, loyalty, building of relationships and friendships, memories, life lessons, etc...

Can they?

Simple, yes or no, bro....

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Burrs. Simple.... YES!

Congrats to Wood. They were fun to watch control the LOS. Great defense and tackling. Very sound in all aspects.

Get over yourself...

Sure man, whatever, your as whacked as uptown and I didn't tell you who you can use as .... because I'm not really concerned about you. YES is the answer . Happy bro?

Lilromeo..Per the PIAA web page Wood is a 5A school and playing in 5A.. it's on page 3 about half way down..all kidding aside.. the letters are small but I think I counted correctly..

Tep is a 3A playing in 4A on page 4

http://www.piaa.org/assets/web/documents/2016 Football Classification Report.pdf

Sure man, whatever, your as whacked as uptown and I didn't tell you who you can use as .... because I'm not really concerned about you. YES is the answer . Happy bro?

From you..

"I don't mention Wood, don't use them as an example...."

So, you did tell me that.

Anyway, appreciate the yes answer. Of course, that was the only choice out there. Just wanted to see if you could say it. Good job.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Nobodys Questioned that woods player are not learning anything or having great experiences.The problem people have is the classification.So they are 5A why .male enrollment I guess so thats even with other 5 A schools correct.But whats not even is where academy park gets there players is bound by School district .Its ruining the sport IMO . Its not just them Prep ,lasalle,
Ecp pcc imotep gulfoyle and others .Its just the way it is I guess.Basketball has been doing it for years and its got worse so we will have to deal with it

Nobodys Questioned that woods player are not learning anything or having great experiences.The problem people have is the classification.So they are 5A why .male enrollment I guess so thats even with other 5 A schools correct.But whats not even is where academy park gets there players is bound by School district .Its ruining the sport IMO . Its not just them Prep ,lasalle,
Ecp pcc imotep gulfoyle and others .Its just the way it is I guess.Basketball has been doing it for years and its got worse so we will have to deal with it

Actually, someone was questioning it or at least implied it until the answer "yes" was provided.

And everyone gets that open enrollment is an advantage. However, there are advantages and disadvantages on both sides that most ignore in favor of constantly beating this horse.

There are disadvantages between PUBs, but we rarely hear about these. I mean seriously, but are North Penn and George Washington HS really playing on an "even" playing field? Cmon, let's not be naive.

Look, none of us can control the rules. So, it's pointless to bitch about the same thing every year. Just accept it and enjoy the games. It's only high school football.

According to the PIAA classification .pdf file for 2016, Archbishop Wood is a 5A school based on their numbers. They submitted a number of 423 which puts them 17th from the bottom of the 5A class. So, no they are not a 4A school that moved up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT