ADVERTISEMENT

State Championships

district1elite

Nov 3, 2017
I am all for private and public league competing together in the playoffs because I believe to be the best you have to beat the best...However, with that being stated I think splitting the playoffs up in 2 categories Public and catholic makes much more sense competitively. At the end I think the best scenario would be having each champion (private/public) meeting for the ultimate state championship game. Perhaps changing the amount of teams from 33 for example to 24 teams or 16 in a playoff bracket with the idea of adding 1 more week for the “ultimate” state champ game. Thoughts? Would the sanctioning bodies conflict?

I’d be all for it, but I do not see the public reps agreeing to it. They are (justifiably) complaining about competitive imbalance, yet they want the Private and Pub champs to play each other? It wouldn’t make sense in the context of their argument.

If a separation were to happen, I could see the Private and Pub champs playing each other down the line (say in 5-10 years).

Reactions: district1elite
My issue is with the private/charter school powers playing at lower classifications. Is there any reason Wood still plays at 5A? They've made a mockery of that division. Imhotep and ECP at 4A?

The 6A class is fine. We've seen some memorable games involving SJP, Coatesville, P-R and North Penn over the past couple years.

Fair point Relayer - maybe in the next few years we will see Wood, ECP, and Tep, etc. moved up due to the “success factor.” I think that’s a great idea that should be instituted.

Keep in mind Wood's enrollment is actually 4A and they will play up this season and next as 5A. Totally understand view of Wood's domination. However, Wood has about 350 boys (10-12 grades) vs Lasalle with 825 and Prep about 700. Very big disparity even with open enrollment. Wood beating lasalle the last 3 years really says alot with those kind of numbers. Even Wood fans were very surprised at the dominance over Harrisburg 2 years ago and Gateway last year, they both had very talented teams, especially Harrisburg with all they had. In fact most people picked Harrsiburg to beat Wood and then said Wood would not repeat last year.....

Reactions: lilromeo
HSftballfan,

There should be no complaining because you can still call yourself the “public” state champ before facing off vs the “private” champs.

My issue is with the private/charter school powers playing at lower classifications. Is there any reason Wood still plays at 5A? They've made a mockery of that division. Imhotep and ECP at 4A?

The 6A class is fine. We've seen some memorable games involving SJP, Coatesville, P-R and North Penn over the past couple years.
I sure liked the 4 classification system with Wood,Imhotep Erie Cathedral and McDevitt among others competing

Reactions: papride1
If you went to a public/private system you very likely would have 4 classes of pub and 2 classes of prvate for the same 6 classes total. In that scenario, Wood may be in the big school class anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT