ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joseph's Prep 2020 vs. _________

Stalk- Good stuff as usual. I am not as up to speed in the middle of the state and great to hear. Need competition to keep it interesting.

Reactions: Stalker
Hauss- Winning does it all. I have been around the block. Philly and Pgh. Your an Erie prep guy. We played Erie prep every preseason when Mina George was coach.(131-44) Why? They were always loaded and good. Why? They had top academics and top football, a way to get a scholarship as a kid/family. A couple college teammates of mine played at Erie prep so I know the deal. Were they recruited because they were good athletes? Yes. Both were good students. Were they recruited for academics? Yes. Win win right?

In Pgh you got Pgh CC and at a much smaller level North Catholic. In Harrisburg you have McDevitt, In Philly you have the most choices. PCL and the Inter act which is loaded with talent. A lot of schools to choose from, kids in Pa go over bridge to nj to Notre dame and Hun school.Lasalle, Roman, Penn charter, wood, list is long and the leagues were close and tough , week in and week out. Now PCL schools closed and closing. So that changed things. Sjp had some great teams, years under brooks(he was a little nutty) infante to me brought it to next level because he related to kids and they wanted to play for him and staff. One of my sons was maybe a freshman and his hs beat sjp by a lot and when he was a sr in 2013 his team was good , lost to prep by a lot but about the same as Pgh cc so it was different times period. Football is losing kids and watered down. The game has changed and so has the landscape. PR beat them, Lebo beat them and it will happen again. Lasalle and Roman will beat prep as they have done in the past, things go on circles so it will come around at some point. Don bosco beat the pants off prep and then they had some lean years (by their standards)again comes around. Wood was a total power and now in a bad place after Devlin rolled, again goes in circles. Wpial is down and that concerns me, 5 team shit show in 6A concerns me, a mediocre upper st clair team in 5a finals last year concerns me. North penn having so much talent in 6A but won’t play defense baffles me. Numbers are down so I hope when my grandkids play I get to watch some good football!
I'm not saying that it is the only factor but it definitely helps. I agree with your points as well. Youre not playing on ESPN or a national schedule without winning.

I'm not saying that it is the only factor but it definitely helps. I agree with your points as well. Youre not playing on ESPN or a national schedule without winning.

I think LaSalle and pgh cc off the tip of my head can get to that, get the additional boost and exposure that is needed, wood was already there before Devlin left. Malvern Prep has the budget and the ability but inter act is not in piaa so mute point by me but wanted to add because I believe these schools can gain ground. And play piaa schools in cross play. We did not even really discuss the major pubs that can get it done. Look at pine, coach k got them to a new level and winning brings families to the community and will keep the wining going. Many pubs like north penn , Coatesville. NA , parkland many more can make a run for sure. Pgh central will have 10 d1 kids once a few younger kids get the offers and they will, NA will get the talent with all the Steelers kids and move ins trust me, it will run a cycle and maybe sooner than later, maybe not. I just want it competitive but am worried because of what I watch weekly in wpial iis just average to me, every year numbers dwindle, kids quit because they can’t start or can’t start until maybe jr or sr year so mommy and daddy pulls them. It’s a real problem.

Soup, I don't think it's just the wpial it's state wide. With population in western Pa declining and the big push on head injuries within the last decade parents don't want their kids playing football. Also more and more private schools are taking talent from the pubs as well.

I
Soup, I don't think it's just the wpial it's state wide. With population in western Pa declining and the big push on head injuries within the last decade parents don't want their kids playing football. Also more and more private schools are taking talent from the pubs as well.
Saying "private schools are taking talent from the pubs" seems to suggest the talented players "belong" to or in the public schools. Maybe that's not what you mean, but it's a sentiment that's out there. I know there are cases where some kids really benefitted from a public school program and then transferred to a private--usually, in PA, Catholic--school, but there are also lots of cases where a kid is the product of a CYO program or another community program unconnected to a particular school program. In these cases I don't see the private schools as "taking talent from the pubs," and even in the other cases I wonder if anyone really thinks it would be better if kids (and their parents) were regarded as disloyal for choosing to go to a private school for reason A or B. Again, in light of your own background this may not be your view.

With SJP many might think first of the guys who are now or will soon be in the NFL, but most parents thinking of where they'd like to see their sons go to high school will focus at least as much at the guys going--on scholarship--to Colgate, Princeton, Bucknell, Penn etc. as well as Clemson, South Carolina, and Air Force, etc,

Reactions: Soup13
I

Saying "private schools are taking talent from the pubs" seems to suggest the talented players "belong" to or in the public schools. Maybe that's not what you mean, but it's a sentiment that's out there. I know there are cases where some kids really benefitted from a public school program and then transferred to a private--usually, in PA, Catholic--school, but there are also lots of cases where a kid is the product of a CYO program or another community program unconnected to a particular school program. In these cases I don't see the private schools as "taking talent from the pubs," and even in the other cases I wonder if anyone really thinks it would be better if kids (and their parents) were regarded as disloyal for choosing to go to a private school for reason A or B. Again, in light of your own background this may not be your view.

With SJP many might think first of the guys who are now or will soon be in the NFL, but most parents thinking of where they'd like to see their sons go to high school will focus at least as much at the guys going--on scholarship--to Colgate, Princeton, Bucknell, Penn etc. as well as Clemson, South Carolina, and Air Force, etc,
I am amazed that folks continuously refer to athletes choosing Private schools over Public schools as if this were a new thing. This has ALWAYS been the case here . There are many athletes that choose public over private also.

I am amazed that folks continuously refer to athletes choosing Private schools over Public schools as if this were a new thing. This has ALWAYS been the case here . There are many athletes that choose public over private also.
I'm guessing that's been the case wherever a family can afford to send a child to a private school. This has been done from my hometown for decades going to Delone Catholic (McSherrystown) from Gettysburg and the surrounding burbs. Still is! Unfortunately for my class, the two were really good football and baseball players, baseball being ultra popular that part of the state :confused:. McSherrystown is 15 miles from Gburg.
It's the same with a few I knew at Hburg Area Comm Coll (HACC) and Penn State who went to Trinity instead of Cedar Cliff, Red Land or Camp Hill. One from Camp Hill went to McDevitt. Some enrolled because they were Catholic. It's not always about sports.

Soup, I don't think it's just the wpial it's state wide. With population in western Pa declining
Soup, I don't think it's just the wpial it's state wide. With population in western Pa declining and the big push on head injuries within the last decade parents don't want their kids playing football. Also more and more private schools are taking talent from the pubs as well.What is your stance on your former school Erie prep?
Haus- What is your stance on Erie Prep?

My son played for the Romans a CYO team from Doylestown . They had a championship team when he was in eighth grade. The starting team ended up going to 7 different high schools to include CB West ,CBEast,st joe prep ,Lasalle, Germantown Academy ,lansdale Catholic and Archbishop Wood.

My son played for the Romans a CYO team from Doylestown . They had a championship team when he was in eighth grade. The starting team ended up going to 7 different high schools to include CB West ,CBEast,st joe prep ,Lasalle, Germantown Academy ,lansdale Catholic and Archbishop Wood.
lil - exactly. I coached middle school aged kids in north penns feeder and we had many kids end up at Germantown academy, lasalle, wood, Lansdale Catholic, episcopal, SJP and it was no surprise. Half my neighborhood went to lasalle, LC. wood, prep, Germantown Academy, etc…
The mind set was kids in Catholic schools went Catholic, others went for in their opinion superior academics some others for the fear of north penns size with at the time 1000 a class, getting lost in the s system, etc.. it’s nothing new

lil - exactly. I coached middle school aged kids in north penns feeder and we had many kids end up at Germantown academy, lasalle, wood, Lansdale Catholic, episcopal, SJP and it was no surprise. Half my neighborhood went to lasalle, LC. wood, prep, Germantown Academy, etc…
The mind set was kids in Catholic schools went Catholic, others went for in their opinion superior academics some others for the fear of north penns size with at the time 1000 a class, getting lost in the s system, etc.. it’s nothing new
Legacies have a lot to do with that. Even though most of the graduates of the Catholic schools moved out to the suburbs to Bucks and Northern Montgomery County, they'd like to see their kids have the same experience, the same traditions. Right or wrong, that's part of the equation. Back in the day, you could easily have 5 or 6 (you know those Catholics) family members go to the same Catholic High School. That spreads out. And with open borders, it's an invitation to come back.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo and Soup13
Slight side-track... NIL for high school- does anyone see this being a big impact for SJP?

Maybe yes, it being the highest-profile program in PA? I have seen and heard minimal impact so far in Western PA. Wondering if the possibility of "NIL deals" lead more PA kids to transfer places like SJP? Obviously a few other schools throughout the state may be affected (ECP, PCC, Imotep, etc) but likely SJP has the biggest profile kids, playing "nationally?"

Thoughts?

Slight side-track... NIL for high school- does anyone see this being a big impact for SJP?

Maybe yes, it being the highest-profile program in PA? I have seen and heard minimal impact so far in Western PA. Wondering if the possibility of "NIL deals" lead more PA kids to transfer places like SJP? Obviously a few other schools throughout the state may be affected (ECP, PCC, Imotep, etc) but likely SJP has the biggest profile kids, playing "nationally?"

Thoughts?
Boy I hope not. But when it comes to IMG, a Texas powerhouse or, yes, SJP, I don't see how you're gonna stop it, at least at that level.

Thoughts?
I haven't heard about any NIL deals among SJP players, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some. Same for players at other schools.

Maybe familiarity with the social media used by younger people (e.g. TikTok, Instagram, etc.) would indicate where things stand, but I have noted increasing numbers of players having Twitter and hudl accounts when they're in 7th or 8th grade. I'm skeptical of it all.

Reactions: paul from philly
Because I know Kasper very well and he doesn't think like that at all.

It's quite the opposite.

This is the same dude that runs press quarters against SJP, IMG, St. Eds, etc with a bunch of 4.8 white kids and you think he's afraid of competing against the best??

C'mon now..
Amen. Playing Harrisburg and Pick-N. the last 3 doesn't suggest ducking of any nature. Plus, 5A has better teams than 6A in the WPIAL, in some cases down to 4A and 3. I'd entertain the idea it was 'ducking' if they opted up!

Because I know Kasper very well and he doesn't think like that at all.

It's quite the opposite.

This is the same dude that runs press quarters against SJP, IMG, St. Eds, etc with a bunch of 4.8 white kids and you think he's afraid of competing against the best??

C'mon now..
then why drop to 5A? what is the reason? why would you want a 5A championship over a 6A championship

you think he's being completely honest? i don't blame him for dropping down, if they stayed in 6A they would still only have the 2017 title and that's it, but lets not pretend he didn't know

I am convinved his 2020 team was better than Mt Lebanon in 2021, yet people have already forgotten his 2020 team because they didn't win the title in the largest class, clearly a 6A title is more prestigious than a 5A title

playing IMG in week 1 and playing them for a state title are little different don't you think?

Amen. Playing Harrisburg and Pick-N. the last 3 doesn't suggest ducking of any nature. Plus, 5A has better teams than 6A in the WPIAL, in some cases down to 4A and 3. I'd entertain the idea it was 'ducking' if they opted up!
DO NOT entertain that idea

nah NA and Central last year were better than any WPIAL 5A team aside from PR

Canon Mac beat the 5A runner up Upper St. Clair

playing those teams in week 1 in an exhibition match, you think that is the same as playing them when it... actually matters?????

they are ducking SJP I don't see how it is even slightly debatable, and I don't blame them

a 5A gold trophy will feel a lot better than a 6A silver trophy

They stayed 5A so they could make it a clean sweep of the power PA privates in the finals - SJP and ECP. :)

then why drop to 5A? what is the reason? why would you want a 5A championship over a 6A championship

you think he's being completely honest? i don't blame him for dropping down, if they stayed in 6A they would still only have the 2017 title and that's it, but lets not pretend he didn't know

I am convinved his 2020 team was better than Mt Lebanon in 2021, yet people have already forgotten his 2020 team because they didn't win the title in the largest class, clearly a 6A title is more prestigious than a 5A title

playing IMG in week 1 and playing them for a state title are little different don't you think?
BP, PR did not "DROP" to 5A as you said. They were assigned that classification by the PIAA. No team can drop down in classification as you maintain.

The PCC team that lost to NA twice who I saw lose to State College (NA) were not good football teams, especially PCC. Just a point of view. No offense and maybe they had just had a bad day. Or maybe State High was just a lot better despite many of us D3/Mid Penn hard heads thinking SC's team was nothing special last year.

Of course, the Mid Penn crowd of which SC is a part are harsh on their teams, like the Philly crowd is on their teams.

What has you convinced about 2020 PR? Through no fault of their own, PR had the easiest run to winning the 5A title of all time. Erie Cathedral got to the finals solely due to forfeits. Looking at their schedule, the “ramblers” were the epitome of average

Ps: PR fans, I’m not hating. I find the 2017 and 2022 teams having much harder roads for GOLD

I've known him for 25 years. He has never been scared of competition.

You can't drop down. They were placed in 5A and his administration played the schedule they were assigned.
This is bunk. In many states the highest classification isn't always the toughest or most revered title. Heck if you go back to the Berwick run of the 90's, they were considered the top bill in PA in most years. I didn't necessarily agree but if you're just going by statewide and nationwide perception, the AAA title was the most coveted.
You don't schedule IMG if you're afraid of competition.

Reactions: new2pa
What has you convinced about 2020 PR? Through no fault of their own, PR had the easiest run to winning the 5A title of all time. Erie Cathedral got to the finals solely due to forfeits. Looking at their schedule, the “ramblers” were the epitome of average

Ps: PR fans, I’m not hating. I find the 2017 and 2022 teams having much harder roads for GOLD

2017 and 2020 would Mercy Rule 2022.

Reactions: Stalker

tiger... man, there's maybe only 3-4 people in PA, maybe, including you, that think or thought that 2020 PR was "not that good" or that their run was "easy." This post is just not logical. They had talent, and system, and they made their opponents looks bad- they were not all bad- only maybe a couple opponents were bad, off the top of my head, Kiski and Shaler, yes bad, but most of the other teams were either in the playoffs or had winning records. And mifflin? Really friggin disrespecful to say that Singleton and GM gave them an "easy path???" Very few teams in the whole state could have beaten GM in 2020

And, again, the idea of "moving down" cuz PR was afraid is just not logical- 6A is many districts like 7 and 10, does not provide very many opponents, which makes scheduling more difficult.

tiger... man, there's maybe only 3-4 people in PA, maybe, including you, that think or thought that 2020 PR was "not that good" or that their run was "easy." This post is just not logical. They had talent, and system, and they made their opponents looks bad- they were not all bad- only maybe a couple opponents were bad, off the top of my head, Kiski and Shaler, yes bad, but most of the other teams were either in the playoffs or had winning records. And mifflin? Really friggin disrespecful to say that Singleton and GM gave them an "easy path???" Very few teams in the whole state could have beaten GM in 2020

And, again, the idea of "moving down" cuz PR was afraid is just not logical- 6A is many districts like 7 and 10, does not provide very many opponents, which makes scheduling more difficult.
Believe me, 2020 PR was very good. They were most likely the best team in the ENTIRE wpial that year. I just said their path was easier than most, which I think is undeniable

Erie cathedral simply didn’t deserve to be there. Also, you’d have to say 2021 Governor Mifflin is better than the 2020 version. That 2021 team lost to a mediocre team in the playoffs. I’d call those teams “paper tigers”

I’m far more impressed with the 2017 and 2022 runs

2017: beat Central and SJP
2022: beat “good” ECP and Imhotep

They wouldn’t. The talent gap was way to big. 2022 would be three and out. It would maybe take the entire game, but it would be something like 49-7

too many variables, but- both were great- 20 was clearly better than 22 all year, more consistent, at end of season maybe 22 was "almost as good," not sure about "mercy rule" but "in theory" i guess id say the 2020 team would win 24-7. The old staff just had a great system and better coaching, better off-season, better development of kids, and so on, as we all have talked about too many times

But again, at the end of the day, the topic is kinda silly- cuz you got like 3-4 kids "playing against themselves!!"

So, how does 2023 SJP stack up to 2020? Have all the seniors signed? I know one thing, that prep team was the best high school team I’ve watched live. Love to hear some thoughts

Reactions: lilromeo
So, how does 2023 SJP stack up to 2020? Have all the seniors signed? I know one thing, that prep team was the best high school team I’ve watched live. Love to hear some thoughts
I thought the McCord Prep team was the best I ever saw ,that is until this past year. In my opinion , this past years squad was just a monster group led by a stud QB.

I thought the McCord Prep team was the best I ever saw ,that is until this past year. In my opinion , this past years squad was just a monster group led by a stud QB.

Now that is saying something.

Also the fact that this years team played 14 games while 2020 played 6 due to Covid

I agree that this year's team was the best all around. Not just out of the prep teams but in state history. They lost to a national all star team in img 17-14 and had talent all over the field. Next year's team will be pretty nice too. 3 of thier best players from last years team are back. Plus whatever they have and coming in and up. Usually losing a big senior class hurts you but prep doesn't have that problem.

I agree that this year's team was the best all around. Not just out of the prep teams but in state history. They lost to a national all star team in img 17-14 and had talent all over the field. Next year's team will be pretty nice too. 3 of thier best players from last years team are back. Plus whatever they have and coming in and up. Usually losing a big senior class hurts you but prep doesn't have that problem.
The Prep has a grand total of three starters returning on offense and whoever is their QB will be very inexperienced. The defense will have four starters returning, They also lose their kicker. Yes, they have some good second-team players returning and some promising freshmen, but there's no way they simply pick up where the '23 team left off.

Reactions: lilromeo
The Prep has a grand total of three starters returning on offense and whoever is their QB will be very inexperienced. The defense will have four starters returning, They also lose their kicker. Yes, they have some good second-team players returning and some promising freshmen, but there's no way they simply pick up where the '23 team left off.
Sacca, Roy, and dont they have a 3 three 4 star tackle returning. Also graduation effects regular high schools but not prep. As far as their QB Im sure they'll find one. Id be willing to bet he's a D1 guy at that. Everyone said the same about the 20 class when they graduated and they weren't effected one bit. Sjp has that luxury. It's tough when Kyle mccord graduates and you have to replace him with samj Jones.

Last edited:
Sacca, Roy, and dont they have a 3 three 4 star tackle returning. Also graduation effects regular high schools but not prep. As far as their QB Im sure they'll find one. Id be willing to bet he's a D1 guy at that. Everyone said the same about the 20 class when they graduated and they weren't effected one bit. Sjp has that luxury. It's tough when Kyle mccord graduates and you have to replace him with samj Jones.
Sacca, Smith, Roy, and Haskell return on defence. West, Stewart, and Leonard return on offense. The '21 team wasn't nearly as strong as the '20 team. They played a weaker than usual non-league schedule and lost to Milton at home. They also lost to LaSalle, had a very close game against Judge, beat Wood in the league semi-finals on a last-minute field goal, had a close game against Freedom, and lost at the end to Mount Lebanon. You could say that on a down year they made it to a state final, but it's a different conversation entirely if, say, they had lost to Wood. How about some credit to the coaching staff for getting a very inexperienced team far so far? Yes they had a very talented sophomore class, but sophomores are sophomores.

Sacca, Smith, Roy, and Haskell return on defence. West, Stewart, and Leonard return on offense. The '21 team wasn't nearly as strong as the '20 team. They played a weaker than usual non-league schedule and lost to Milton at home. They also lost to LaSalle, had a very close game against Judge, beat Wood in the league semi-finals on a last-minute field goal, had a close game against Freedom, and lost at the end to Mount Lebanon. You could say that on a down year they made it to a state final, but it's a different conversation entirely if, say, they had lost to Wood. How about some credit to the coaching staff for getting a very inexperienced team far so far? Yes they had a very talented sophomore class, but sophomores are sophomores.
Who do you think is better: 2020 or 2023 SJP

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT