ADVERTISEMENT

Roman vs Carroll on Thanksgiving

What if carrol ends up making the playoffs, don’t know total 4A standings but at 4-4 they should be in the mix? Or is that not the case

What if carrol ends up making the playoffs, don’t know total 4A standings but at 4-4 they should be in the mix? Or is that not the case

Carroll will play O'Hara weekend of 11/2. If they win that then they'll get Bonner-Prendie for PCL 4A title game on the 8th/9th. If they get their QB back then they have at minimum a 50/50 chance at winning this game. That would put them in the D-12 title, probably versus Imhotep 15th/16th. They'll be underdogs here, but probably not as much as the PCL 4A team has been in recent years.

Roman will more than likely playing LaSalle on the 2nd/3rd and if they were to win that then SJP the next week.

When North Catholic closed I thought the obvious choice to take North's place in the as Ted Silary referred to it "Grandaddy" of all Philly High School Turkey day rivalries was Roman. Roman vs Frankford just seemed so natural but as I understood it Roman's Alumni would never allow the school to get out of it's long time Thanksgiving, Roxborough. I don't blame them. Being a part of the North/Frankford rivalry was one of my favorite memories from playing hs football. I'm sure that Roman/Rox at one time held the same type of memories for players from both schools but as we all know it's been a long time since it's been competitive in addition to Thanksgiving day games losing the aura that they once held.

When North Catholic closed I thought the obvious choice to take North's place in the as Ted Silary referred to it "Grandaddy" of all Philly High School Turkey day rivalries was Roman. Roman vs Frankford just seemed so natural but as I understood it Roman's Alumni would never allow the school to get out of it's long time Thanksgiving, Roxborough. I don't blame them. Being a part of the North/Frankford rivalry was one of my favorite memories from playing hs football. I'm sure that Roman/Rox at one time held the same type of memories for players from both schools but as we all know it's been a long time since it's been competitive in addition to Thanksgiving day games losing the aura that they once held.
The two oldest Thanksgiving games in Philly used to be Central-Northeast and SJP-Roman. The latter was played for at least 50 years and ended, I think, in the mid-70s. It was played at Roman's home "stadium" (?), Cahill Field at 29th and Allegheny, which had about 12 rows of seats from end zone to end zone on both sides and, at least for all the years I attended it or played in it (1959-70) was always packed. Interesting how the things we used to think of as "fixtures" disappear. I agree that the Thanksgiving rivalries were great but doubt new ones can arise in the current climate.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT