ADVERTISEMENT

Publics v. privates argument - it's not just in the Keystone state.

PA2CAMoleskinner

Sep 18, 2007
The same heated debate that permeates so many of the football threads back in my beloved home state are just as lively out here in California.

Take a read:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/la-sp-high-schools-sondheimer-20181118-story.html

You'll note that about a month ago or so I was able to catch the regular season Mater Dei versus IMG game as well as a playoff game between St. John Bosco and San Clemente a few weeks back. Without any exaggeration the talent on the field (Bosco and Mater Dei) was as good as I have ever seen at the scholastic level. And what Bosco did to Oaks Christian (56-10) and Mater Dei to Corona Centennial (48-14) in the semi-finals of the playoffs last weekend was scary as Oaks and Corona were both Top 25 nationally (Bosco - number one in the land - and Mater Dei - number three - meet this Friday in the Southern Section Division 1 championship).

Seems like a trend everywhere...is what it is. I’d be interested to know if these transfers are being characterized as getting out of “knife and gun club schools” or just athletic. Are standards being lowered or exceptions made for these athletes? Doesn’t effect me or my kids as I’m retired and kids out of school. I don’t have a real opinion that counts. :)

The same heated debate that permeates so many of the football threads back in my beloved home state are just as lively out here in California.

Take a read:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/la-sp-high-schools-sondheimer-20181118-story.html

You'll note that about a month ago or so I was able to catch the regular season Mater Dei versus IMG game as well as a playoff game between St. John Bosco and San Clemente a few weeks back. Without any exaggeration the talent on the field (Bosco and Mater Dei) was as good as I have ever seen at the scholastic level. And what Bosco did to Oaks Christian (56-10) and Mater Dei to Corona Centennial (48-14) in the semi-finals of the playoffs last weekend was scary as Oaks and Corona were both Top 25 nationally (Bosco - number one in the land - and Mater Dei - number three - meet this Friday in the Southern Section Division 1 championship).
Thanks Mole,good article also. Too bad so many schools don't take the same evil empire approach instead of the incesent complaining.

Thanks Mole,good article also. Too bad so many schools don't take the same evil empire approach instead of the incesent complaining.

That’s some good football you get to see out there. Lucky you Skinner Man. About the article; what’s now called a gap between SJ Bosco, Mater Dei et al….is becoming a gulf that will have to be addressed at some point, if it continues. It might go away! And realistically, how many SJB’s and Mater Dei’s can an area support?

But when your once in a decade/lifetime team comes along at non-privates and is waffled by 40 points by this level team, it’s disheartening and unfair and personal on some levels. I’m talking the super teams, not privates in general, but the SJB’s, Mater Dei’s, IMG and St. Francis-Balt, Md types. They’ll have trouble scheduling at some point with others getting tired of losing 56-10, with the score a foregone conclusion.

There aren’t many complaints about McDevitt in the district or Berks Cath. Low level grumbling at best. At that level as a 16, 17, 18 year old, you’re not thinking that way at all. You just want to go beat the crap out of them.

Reactions: lilromeo
That’s some good football you get to see out there. Lucky you Skinner Man. About the article; what’s now called a gap between SJ Bosco, Mater Dei et al….is becoming a gulf that will have to be addressed at some point, if it continues. It might go away! And realistically, how many SJB’s and Mater Dei’s can an area support?

But when your once in a decade/lifetime team comes along at non-privates and is waffled by 40 points by this level team, it’s disheartening and unfair and personal on some levels. I’m talking the super teams, not privates in general, but the SJB’s, Mater Dei’s, IMG and St. Francis-Balt, Md types. They’ll have trouble scheduling at some point with others getting tired of losing 56-10, with the score a foregone conclusion.

There aren’t many complaints about McDevitt in the district or Berks Cath. Low level grumbling at best. At that level as a 16, 17, 18 year old, you’re not thinking that way at all. You just want to go beat the crap out of them.
Although not an exact parallel ,Way back when the PCL schools had boundaries[ie parishes designated to each high school except laSalle and the Prep} at McDevitt we couldn't wait to get it on with LaSalle every year. They were our evil empire which back then had players from all over as they do now. Never once did we think we cant beat those guys and we were one of the smallest schools in the PCL even back . I know yes man remembers LOL.

So, looking at PA's brackets, publics have 3 of the 4 remaining slots in every class except 4A (Catholics have 3 of the 4 there). So, that's 16 of the 24 slots to publics.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Hmmm. Wood, West Catholic, Bethlehem Catholic, Bishop McDevitt, Our Lady of Sacred Heart and Scranton Prep all lost last night. So...

1A will have a public school champ.
2A will have a public school champ.
3A will have a public school champ.
Erie Cathedral Prep can win 4A.
5A will have a public school champ.
St. Joseph's Prep can win 6A.

When will the whining stop? Last night may have derailed it for a bit. However, it will be replaced for the time being with new whining...Public School X is only good because THEY recruit. In other words, the whining and worrying about the other guy (instead of taking care of your own business) will NEVER stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Concretechuck
Hmmm. West Catholic, Bethlehem Catholic, Bishop McDevitt, Our Lady of Sacred Heart and Scranton Prep all lost last night. So...

1A will have a public school champ.
2A will have a public school champ.
3A will have a public school champ.
Erie Cathedral Prep can win 4A.
5A will have a public school champ.
St. Joseph's Prep can win 6A.

When will the whining stop? Last night may have derailed it for a bit. However, it will be replaced for the time being with new whining...Public School X is only good because THEY recruit. In other words, the whining and worrying about the other guy (instead of taking care of your own business) will NEVER stop.

Throw in wood for good measure.

Reactions: ptomaselli
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT