ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2021

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
HSFB and others,
Here's an update on the Rams for the 2021 season. This may sound crazy but I think its a rebuild, reload and compete for championship again kind of team.

First, I think they lose the deepest senior class they have ever had in terms of numbers and depth of talent. On defense they lose the best defensive lineman (Jackson) and best LB (Miller) in school history. On offense they lose the best WR (Jochem) in school history along with a kid who at any other school would be the best QB in school history (Spencer) along with a G5 level OL (Hayes). So, that's a lot to replace. Overall 8 seniors started on both offense and defense.

Other big changes are in the coaching ranks. Coach K is rumored to have chance to go to Pitt as a LB Coach. Three other coaches have kids that played (Miller, Jochem, Neff) and may also stop coaching. If that happens, I have some thoughts on who could takeover.

After talking to a ton of people since the end of the season, here's my best guess at who's going to get first crack at positions. Defense first:

DE: Lenz 6'3" 240 SR - Returning starter and very good. Playing opposite Jackson, teams targeted him but he did well. Needs to step up and be dominent.
DL: Domer 6'3" 270 SR - Returning starter, all-conference and 5A all state player.
DL: Kerns: 6' 240 JR - Started at center but will have to go both ways. Likely a rotation player
DE: Klemm - more of an offensive lineman. See below
LB: Hasley, 6'2 210 SR - D1 LB. Best player on team. Will need to be a force
LB: Heckert. 5'10 200 JR - Played on their 3rd down package. Needs to find a home somewhere.
LB: Ansell / ?: I don't know anything about this kid.
S: Eastburn, 5'9 180 SR - A better offensive player but did get a lot of time at S as Jochem's backup.
S: Palmary, 5'9 180 JR - Am told he is best overall football player in the JR class. Also competing for starting QB job
CB: Gochis - will have to go two ways at this point.
CB: ?

Offense:
T: Jalen Klem, 6'4 250 SR - Transferred this past year to P-R. Was a QB. Son of Steelers Assistant OL coach. Raw but talented.
T: Beam, 6'4 270 JR - Played a lot this past year in sub packages. Potential D1 OL.
G: Domer, 6'3 270, SR - Will be playing both ways
G: Cory, 6'2 250 SO - Never heard of this kid but coaches speak very highly of him. D1 talent
C: Kerns, 6' 240 JR - Was first team 5A All state. Very very good player.
QB: Boyd 6' 180 SR - Great arm talent but lacks experience. Palmary also in contention.
RB: Eastburnn 5'9 180 SR - Was all conference as utility player. Needs to step up
RB/WR: Hasley - They used him as RB in state championship game. Look for him to see a lot of carries in big game.
WR: Gochis 6'3 190 SR - Returning starter. Needs to step up and be primary target
WR: Mellis 5'8" 170 JR - Played sparingly. Small but quick. Will take Jochem's spot.
WR: Wells 5'11 170 SR - This could be anyone. Wells will get first crack
FB/HS: Rottinghaus 6'1 200 JR - Another question mark position.

Bottom line - even with the turnover, people around here think that they should be the #1 team in WPIAL 5A and maybe in the state. Penn-Trafford and Woodland Hills is probably best competition. Look for Penn Hills to be better with a really good QB coming back. Peters, USC, SF will all be significantly worse than this past year with USC being the best of the 3. (Contrary to what people thought, they weren't close to being championship level teams.) Moon is building a program and brings toughness that the other teams in their conference don't. Gateway returns QB and good DB/WR, but they lose a ton of seniors.

Right now, I would rank teams:

1. P-R: They have best player in 5A with Hasley and best coaching staff. Need to find a QB though. That's what makes them go.
2. P-T: Yacamelli is very good RB and its the second best coaching staff in WPIAL 5A
3. Woody: Athletic QB and some skill, but need to make plays in big moments. Haven't beaten anybody.
4. Penn Hills: Will always be good on D, but QB needs to get better and carry the team.
5. Moon: Tough and physical but not sure they have any play makers
6. USC: Decent LB and WRs returning, but need to improve physically to compete with P-R and P-T.

IMO, the WPIAL Winner will likely play Governor Mifflin? (can anyone in 5A D3 stop their RB) and then either ECP or Imhotep in the state finals.

New, thanks for the insight. It’s amazing what Coach K and his staff have built there. In my opinion, they are the model for every boundary program. I’m sure there are capable assistants that could take over if Coach K moves on. Who do you see as the favorite on that regard? Losing him would be a major blow. How legitimate are the rumors of him going to Pitt?

Reactions: lilromeo
I would say that the rumors about Coach K leaving are more than 50-50. Not that he has the job, but that he's interviewing for it. The biggest thing that I keep hearing that would keep him at P-R is that his son will be a Freshman in the fall and he wants to coach him.

I think there are 5 possible people to take over. Three internal candidates and 2 external that have ties to P-R.

1. Tim Sasson, Assistant Head Coach and OL Coach - He's been with Coach K since coming to P-R together in 2011. Was a coach at Fox Chapel for a long time before that. Still young. Was finalist for Lebo job that Palko got a couple years ago. I think he should be the favorite. Not a P-R resident.

2. Ryan Lehmeier, OC - He's played for Coach K and has been OC since 2017. Excellent technician IMO with the offense. Modern and adaptable. Very young (30's I think) with small kids, which could make it hard. Was a college coach before. Not a P-R resident.

3. Todd Jochem, QB Coach - He's the most interesting one. Tech guy that sold a couple companies and retired to coach HS football. Kids played on '17 and '20 championship teams. He's been at P-R with Coach K since 2011. His "right hand man". No background as an educator and has had run ins with admin which works against him.

4. Jon LeDonne, Head Coach, Penn Hills - has championship pedigree at PH. And he's a Quip. Live's in P-R. He's a defensive guy and could be a good match of Sasson/Lehmeier/Jochem all stay. Has young kids and may be looking to be closer to home. Not an educator.

5. Steve Brezila, OC, PCC - Also lives in P-R and has reputation for being part of a good team at PCC. Works at PCC so that may be an issue, but PCC could become a circus if Coach Totten retires. Young kids and may be looking for a chance to be closer to family.

Two more thing - I would suspect that the job would get a ton of applications. But there won't be a teaching position available, which would limit the kind of people who could get it.

Also, while I hope that one of the internal candidates gets the job, the relationship between the program and upper level admin has been contentious at times. The sense from many is that Coach K and his staff were huge promoters of football and sometimes it overshadowed the educational part of the school. This could be there chance to "go another direction." IMO, if that happened their would be riot by football parents, but you never know.

Any of the internal candidates would be equivalent to the Roken hire at SJP when Infante left.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
From an outsider’s perspective, it would seem crazy to take the program in another direction. One would think an internal candidate would be best to continue the success. Does Coach K work in the building? Do any assistants?

I agree.

Neither Coach K or any of his varsity assistants work in the school district. About half are teachers elsewhere and the others have normal jobs.

It’s pretty telling that the district never made it a priority to employ him there, no? That seems a little bizarre for a high profile program and a coach that has brought it a lot of success.

Reactions: new2pa and lilromeo
I'd say yes it is strange for a very successful football program.

I'd say no for P-R. BBB, GBB, Wrest, GVB, BVB, GSoc, Bsoc, FH, BLAX, GLAX - none of those have head coaches that are in the district.

The good news with that is that it also means its hard to pressure head coaches to hire district employees as assistants. That is one thing that has really helped P-R football. Their coaching staff is from all over and has very different backgrounds.

That’s interesting. The situation harkens me back to George Curry quoting one of his mentors, “Don’t stay at one school for more than 7-8 years. You make too many enemies.” Of course Curry stayed at Berwick for 35 years in just his first stint LOL.

Reactions: new2pa
At P-R, as long as the team is winning, parent pushback will end up making everything ok.

I don't think its realistic to expect state championship appearances every 3 years though. That would be quite a run but you never know. I haven't heard the same kind of hype about the upcoming classes, but that doesn't mean they don't have talent.

If Coach K gets the Pitt job, he will have been at P-R as HC for 8 years. 4 WPIAL championship, 2 State titles and one more appearance. That's going to be hard to duplicate for him or the new coach.

HSFB and others,
Here's an update on the Rams for the 2021 season. This may sound crazy but I think its a rebuild, reload and compete for championship again kind of team.

First, I think they lose the deepest senior class they have ever had in terms of numbers and depth of talent. On defense they lose the best defensive lineman (Jackson) and best LB (Miller) in school history. On offense they lose the best WR (Jochem) in school history along with a kid who at any other school would be the best QB in school history (Spencer) along with a G5 level OL (Hayes). So, that's a lot to replace. Overall 8 seniors started on both offense and defense.

Other big changes are in the coaching ranks. Coach K is rumored to have chance to go to Pitt as a LB Coach. Three other coaches have kids that played (Miller, Jochem, Neff) and may also stop coaching. If that happens, I have some thoughts on who could takeover.

After talking to a ton of people since the end of the season, here's my best guess at who's going to get first crack at positions. Defense first:

DE: Lenz 6'3" 240 SR - Returning starter and very good. Playing opposite Jackson, teams targeted him but he did well. Needs to step up and be dominent.
DL: Domer 6'3" 270 SR - Returning starter, all-conference and 5A all state player.
DL: Kerns: 6' 240 JR - Started at center but will have to go both ways. Likely a rotation player
LB: Heckert. 5'10 200 JR - Played on their 3rd down package. Needs to find a home somewhere.
S: Eastburn, 5'9 180 SR - A better offensive player but did get a lot of time at S as Jochem's backup.
S: Palmary, 5'9 180 JR - Am told he is best overall football player in the JR class. Also competing for starting QB job

Offense:
T: Jalen Klem, 6'4 250 SR - Transferred this past year to P-R. Was a QB. Son of Steelers Assistant OL coach. Raw but talented.
T: Beam, 6'4 270 JR - Played a lot this past year in sub packages. Potential D1 OL.
G: Cory, 6'2 250 SO - Never heard of this kid but coaches speak very highly of him. D1 talent
QB: Boyd 6' 180 SR - Great arm talent but lacks experience. Palmary also in contention.
RB: Eastburnn 5'9 180 SR - Was all conference as utility player. Needs to step up
RB/WR: Hasley - They used him as RB in state championship game. Look for him to see a lot of carries in big game.
WR: Gochis 6'3 190 SR - Returning starter. Needs to step up and be primary target
WR: Mellis 5'8" 170 JR - Played sparingly. Small but quick. Will take Jochem's spot.

Bottom line - even with the turnover, people around here think that they should be the #1 team in WPIAL 5A and maybe in the state. Penn-Trafford and Woodland Hills is probably best competition. Look for Penn Hills to be better with a really good QB coming back. Peters, USC, SF will all be significantly worse than this past year with USC being the best of the 3. (Contrary to what people thought, they weren't close to being championship level teams.) Moon is building a program and brings toughness that the other teams in their conference don't. Gateway returns QB and good DB/WR, but they lose a ton of seniors.

1. P-R: They have best player in 5A with Hasley and best coaching staff. Need to find a QB though. That's what makes them go.
2. P-T: Yacamelli is very good RB and its the second best coaching staff in WPIAL 5A
3. Woody: Athletic QB and some skill, but need to make plays in big moments. Haven't beaten anybody.
4. Penn Hills: Will always be good on D, but QB needs to get better and carry the team.
6. USC: Decent LB and WRs returning, but need to improve physically to compete with P-R and P-T.

IMO, the WPIAL Winner will likely play Governor Mifflin? (can anyone in 5A D3 stop their RB) and then either ECP or Imhotep in the state finals.
You guys do not 2 platoon wow

It seems like they try to platoon the OL and DL as much as they can. Jackson was the only real 2-way kid among those 9.

However, in the state playoff games it looked like Jackson, Miller, Jochem and Hasley played 95% of the total snaps on O and D. Not quite deep enough not to have those players on the field.

Next year is will be different. Everything I'm hearing is that Kerns and Domer are the most likely 2 way kids up front. The rest depends on who steps up.

PCC, NA and all the 5A schools have about the same amount or more 2 way kids.

I think the other thing that's pushing this is school taxes. They haven't been raised since I've been here. Can't afford to hire teachers at anything other than lowest pay scales.

I think the other thing that's pushing this is school taxes. They haven't been raised since I've been here. Can't afford to hire teachers at anything other than lowest pay scales.
Our school in NC has about 2500 kids and we totally 2 platoon. 120-130 kids 9-12 on the team and we try to get as many kids on the filed as possible. It helps with injuries and keeps the talent in stock. We try and do it like the colleges do it and it does work

Sammy, I don’t want to speak for any program. I think most big try to two platoon as much as possible. Most can’t get away with it because the drop off from their first to second string can be huge. I think that’s why you see at least a few kids go both ways even in the biggest programs (sans SJP).

Our school in NC has about 2500 kids and we totally 2 platoon. 120-130 kids 9-12 on the team and we try to get as many kids on the filed as possible. It helps with injuries and keeps the talent in stock. We try and do it like the colleges do it and it does work

PR has just under 1600 kids. I think this year PR had around 105-110 kids in 9-12 football.

HSFB and others,

Offense:

Here are some post season notes, views, etc on D3 5As that may be of interest. Most 5As look to be in rebuild mode. I’d look to the established district powers and those with coaching stability for surprises and the ability to dethrone Governor Mifflin.

Mechanicsburg 8-1:
Nice team but not ready for the bigs as shown vs Gov. Mifflin losing 68-14. Went unchallenged in regular season vs .500-like teams or seriously flawed teams like Central Dauphin East (0-7) 40-20, Greencastle (2-5) 48-0 and Susquehanna Twp (2-5) 40-7. Graduated excellent dual threat Qb Micah Brubaker; 1796py, 707ry. Looking at a big rebuild of the best team they’ve had since 2008’s 12-1 unit.

Conestoga Valley 6-2:
Weren’t competitive against quality losing to Warwick 41-0 and Cocalico 33-7 but ended on a 5 game streak to enter 2021 on a high with a good core returning including quarterback Macoy Kneisley. No recent history or tradition of winning with 2020 their first winning season since 2009.

Waynesboro 5-3:
Next year looks promising despite loss of quarterback Chance Eyler (53%, 623, 8/10 ratio). Leading rushers Aiden Mencia (5-10, 140, 430r, 5-96p, jr) and Mikel Holden (5-9, 160, 687r, 13-52p, so) return plus 7 starters to defense making 2021’s challenge finding a quarterback and plugging a few holes on the lines. No real history of success to expect anything beyond district level success.

Hershey 5-1:
Major rebuild like Warwick and Mechburg graduating a senior laden team including quarterback. The Bears have been down a while, 2020 being first winner since 2013. Before that, they were a solid mid-level team going 94-69 from 1999 through 2013, topped off by 2007’s 10-3. Back to the drawing board for 2021.

Warwick 8-F:
Forfeited last game preventing a much anticipated district final showdown with Gov Mifflin. Major rebuild losing D1 talents at OL Nolan Rucci-Wis and WR Caleb Schmitz-Cin, plus FB Colton Miller-college? (6-4, 220, 880 ry), his brother TE/DE Thatcher to Cornell, QB Joey McCracken-Ship (6154 career py, 65/11 ratio), etc, etc. Major rebuild after graduating their best team ever with exceptional talent over the last few years going 41-13 since 2016.

Cedar Cliff 4-4:
Lost QB Gannon McMeans, 56%, 1013, 13/11 ratio but return experienced back up that will probably surpass those numbers. Jamir Reynolds-Vasquez, 789ry is gone but most of receivers and at least 3 starters to the OL and DL are back. Colts are always in the mix with a 65-23 won/loss the last 8 years.

Red Lion 5-2:
Could be good if can replace QB Randy Fizer, a big if, 870py-1057ry, but rest of team returns. Should get interesting in same league as Central York and York, York being a game they let get away, up by 22 in a 34-30 loss! Good stuff when on but likely to take a step back with QB Fizer gone. Always in the mix at 50-22 the last 7 years.

Shippensburg 4-3:
Ship has had some good teams over the years with a 49-17 record since 2015. But they haven’t got past the Berks Catholics, Yorks and Exeters (varied classifications over the years) to be known beyond D3. Salvaged last year with a 4-0 finish then graduated most of the skill that provided for that; quarterback Zach Manning (955py, 45%, 6/4), top rusher Devin Wilson (535ry) and wide out Isaiah Houser-IUP (20/540py). But…they return a lot of bodies with only 11 seniors graduating and a defense that will be led by DE Anthony Smith (6-7, 265, sr) with offers from PSU, Pitt, Neb, MSU, Io St, WVA, Syra, NC St, Buf and more.

Exeter Township 6-2:
Return a lot of skill but graduate quarterback Gavin McCusker. Couldn’t hang with historic conference powers losing to Gov. Mifflin 56-14 and Berks Catholic 56-28, largely because of a young defense (23ppg) that returns almost intact. It will be led by the versatile senior LB/WR/RB J.R. Straus (6-2, 220), who will team with Ty Yocum (6-1, 220), giving them two of the better LBs in the Berks. They’ve upgraded the schedule reaching out to Mid Penn teams, PAC, Ches Mont and others and are playoff tested in addition to conference games with Gov. Mifflin, Berks Catholic and crossovers vs Conrad Weiser. They always find a quarterback at Exeter with another big one in the wings in Colin Payne (6-3, 180, jr). They could surprise.

Manheim Central 3-5:
Had first losing season since the 70s..!..with a super young team that returns almost intact. QB Judd Novak (6-0, 160, jr) had a strong year, especially over the last 6 games completing 61% (65/107) for 1114 yards with a 16-3 ratio. First 3 was a different story, completing 32 of 62 (52%) for 466 yards with a 5 t0 4 ratio. Two 7-point losses at home to Solanco (3-4) 42-35 and Conestoga Valley (6-2) 41-35 prevented more. And that’s how the season went, putting up a lot of points with a defense that often came up short. But they ended strong, beating previously undefeated Hershey (5-1) 24-21. They averaged 30ppg but were too young (mistake prone) to win by simply outscoring teams. Because the town of Manheim eats, sleeps and breathes football, think Aliquippa-Southern Columbia-Clairton, look for a HUGE response to the historic losing season with a group looking to make a statement and even some scores.

Governor Mifflin 8-1:
Graduated a pile of people especially the lines but return good numbers on both sides. The defense will be fine with quality players up front, at linebacker and secondary. Offensively, most of their skill returns plus the top back in the state in Nicholas Singleton who rushed for 1303 yards in 8 games! First year starting senior quarterback Connor Maryniak was good enough to get them to the semifinal. Sophomore Delsin McNeil who played in 7 games will likely do the same, running the Mid Line with little sophistication to the passing game. The Mustangs still look like the team to beat in D3’s 5A classification.

Reactions: lilromeo and new2pa
Sammy, I don’t want to speak for any program. I think most big try to two platoon as much as possible. Most can’t get away with it because the drop off from their first to second string can be huge. I think that’s why you see at least a few kids go both ways even in the biggest programs (sans SJP).
I once met the old HC for Massolin OH and he told me if and when I ever became a HC I needed to two platoon as much as possible. The last two places I was at one school SW Randolph had 1100 kids and about 41 on Varsity and Parkland we had 1500 kids and 45 on varsity. We two platooned as much as we could at least 1 1/2 platooned. Now Rolesville has almost 2500 kids and 60+ on varsity you bet we two platoon. My coaches at first questioned it but once they saw how it could work they are all in. If you take an average football player and all he does is say LB all day everyday he will become a good football player

Looks like Coach K is staying. I was all over twitter last week that he interviewed, but this confirms someone else got the position. Good for P-R.

Regarding the two-platoon thing, NA has about 2800 kids in 9-12 and they play at least 5 kids two ways. Same with Seneca Valley who is a touch bigger than NA.

This was the first time probably every that NA had the same number of kids in V/JV than P-R. Both had around 75. SV is still around 100. That's a shocking drop at NA.

New, great for PR but I feel for Coach K. He is certainly deserving of a shot in the college ranks. I wonder if he’d consider a coordinator or Head Coaching role at a smaller college?

HSFB, I think it would depend on what "smaller" was IMO. It would be hard for me to see him take anything lower than FCS, given the facilities P-R has and the money he makes as a 20+ year teacher. I believe his wife is in the same boat as he is, so in order for it to make financial sense, there has to be lots of $$$'s involved.

Linebacker.

he is certainly one of the best coaches in pa. without a doubt. BTW any chance Spencer plays football at Penn in addition to wrestling ?

he is certainly one of the best coaches in pa. without a doubt. BTW any chance Spencer plays football at Penn in addition to wrestling ?

I heard he wanted to try, but that was months ago after the season ended. I have heard nothing since then.

I heard he wanted to try, but that was months ago after the season ended. I have heard nothing since then.

I’m assuming Penn sees him as a college 165? I certainly think he could play football at that level, but I don’t think he could in a way that keeps him within striking distance of the weight he’ll be asked to wrestle.

Is Spencer planning on staying at 160 or dropping to 152 for the postseason? He’s the best challenger out there for Jagger Condomitti at 160, that’s a big roadblock to a state title.

I think he's at 160 now. He wont go to 152 because of both his natural size and the kid from SV. (Herrera??) I've talked to his Dad and he could easily be 185-195 if he played football and didn't need to worry about weight. I think height scared team off more than weight. He's not tall. But he can play and he's a winner.

Isn't this the guy that got booted to the curb by PR? Pretty savage to call out NA but maybe a little unnecessary by who runs the PR Football Twitter account.

Yes, Chris Cafardi is the guy. He went to school at NA. I think that the twitter guy was one of the other guys that got reprimanded a few years back with Cafardi and Kasper. Not sure if he is still doing it now or not. Definitely no love lost between P-R and NA. I'm pretty sure it was that guy's son who played and graduated a few years back which also caused some issues. I think the Jackson kid from P-R tweeted that NA was playing Alderdice in Week 0.

IIRC, this started last year when NA was originally on P-R's schedule, then lobbied the WPIAL to change the schedules (WPIAL does all schedules out here) Next thing you know, P-R was off NA's schedule and NA had 2 bye weeks - only team in the 125+ WPIAL team to have any byes. P-R then tweeted at them to schedule week 0. NA's AD was asked about it and was quoted in the paper that there was no reason to play "local 5A teams."

Of course, NA was coming off getting shellacked 91-28 to P-R in the last two games of 2019 and P-R had everyone coming back. So it would probably have been 3 in a row.

For those of you out East, NA legitimately 2x as big as P-R and way bigger than all but SV and Butler in 6A. They've haven't been able to do much in the WPIAL and state playoffs since I've been keeping track and the NA-PR rivalry has grown a little.

Why was this guy fired from PR? What were the other Twitter issues at PR?

I've heard from many that there were all kinds of issues between him and admin. The final straw was him trying to get a QB to transfer to P-R.

I'm not sure what you mean about twitter issues besides the above. P-R tweeted at them in 2020 to play week 0 and they declined.

Its nice having a little blood in the water for these rivalry games. Or is that not OK nowdays? LoL

But overall, who would PR play in Week 0 in-state? I heard from one player that Mt. Lebo is a possibility, and it would be a kick in the face to NA to play another 6A team, reversing the AD's words on them.

However, I want to go out of the box for an opponent. I'd love to see Thomas Jefferson. I was curious about Governor Mifflin but if things play out the way they are expected, there will be a rematch in the state playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT