ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2018

Both Coach K and the QB coach were suspended for a month during the spring while they conducted some kind of investigation. They kept it very quiet, but they had to cancel their state championship ring ceremony because PR admin told Coach K he was not allowed to attend. Coach that was fired was their operations guy and JV coach. Seems he took the fall for a number of things their admin was upset about within the program. Again, the rumors are crazy. When my son played, he certainly seemed to be Coach K’s right hand guy, so should be interesting to see how that works out. His son is also a senior on the team this year, so that adds another dimension to it as well.
Thx for the info...

That's interesting. Have you heard any reason why? 3 schools in 4 years for him then, right?

Corey wanted to be with his friends at Penn Hills. Was told by One ass’t coach that he won’t miss him. I Expect him to have a big year at wide receiver not so on defense if he plays like he did at Central. Strictly a finesse kind of player with excellent athletic ability. Avoids contact, witnessed that against PR last year. Nice receiver, however.

Reactions: new2pa
Had a chance to talk to a ton of P-R people close to the program the past couple days and got a lot of good info about the starters on both sides of the ball. Here's what they told me:

Offense
LT: Ruddock 6'4" 270 SR
LG: Bales 6'0 300 SR
C: Dorundo 6'1 260 SR
RG: Katic 6'3 290 SR
RT: Kristofic 6'6" 270 SR
WR: Cafardi 6'0 170 SR
WR: Tierno 5'9 170 SR
WR: L. Miller 6'2" 170 SO
WR: Johnson 6'3" 185 SO
RB: Meckler 5'9" 175 JR
QB: Spencer 5'10 175 SO

Also seeing time will be:
RB: King 6'1" 225 SR
RB: Geyer 5'10" 185 JR
RB: Cerminara 5'10 215 SR
WR: Jochem 5'10" 170 SO
WR: Mill 5'10" 165 SO
WR: Stenson 6'1" 185 SR

King will be seeing a lot of time on offense. Probably as much as will allow since he is also a very important defender. The competition battles are mostly done. But don't be surprised to see all 10th grade WR's on the field a times.

Defense
DE: T. Miller 5'11" 225 JR
DT: Katic, Bails
DT: Kristofic, Dorundo
DE: Jackson 5'11 225 SO
LB: King
LB: Cerminara
LB: M. Miller 6'0 205 SR
CB: Hetzel 5'11 175 SR
CB: Stenson
S: Meckler
S: Boyd 5'10" 175 JR or Schwiger 5'9" 165 SO

Also seeing time will be
DE/DT: Eckenroad 6'2" 220 SR
DE/LB: Lawten 6'2" 220 SR

The only position battle that is still on going is for the last safety spot. If neither of those kids can do it, they said Stenson will move back to S and another skill kid will play corner.

Other observations:
The roster is heavily loaded with SR and SO. Both those groups were undefeated as freshman and want to keep up what the departing SR's started. I was told, but can't believe this, that the SO class beat their peers last year by even worse amount that the SR's did (Jurkovec, etc.) when they were FR.

They feel this will be the best offensive line in school history and will be among the best in the state.

Spencer is the real deal at QB. P-R will run the ball more than last year, but don't be surprised if Spencer is an all-conference level QB this year and a Fab-22 kid as a JR and SR. He's been that good in practice.

Last edited:
Thanks New. I'd imagine King and Cerminara will get a lot of time again IMG. Won't get outside on them so Spencer will need to be ready to go, flinging a few downfield after their big line and senior backs soften things up if that's possible. That's a lot to put on a soph Qb, going up against IMG in the opener thinking play calling will be conservative, playing into IMG's hands.

Reactions: sched13 and new2pa
I imagine that the play calling will be much different than last year in this first game. They have to be able to run the ball a little. The problem is that no one could tell me who was their deep threat. The Meckler boy is very fast, but he's more of a RB than a WR. I think an underrated part of P-R's offense is the tempo they can play at. If they can get rolling a little, I think that could help them.

But, the QB will have to make some plays at some point.

Great first game for these guys though. Won't play anybody like IMG on the rest of the schedule. I hope P-R can keep having these kinds of games each year. Would love if they would have two or three open weeks to schedule who they wanted. Only will make program better.

In '14, St. Joe's Prep was something like 1-3 playing a tough schedule and ended up winning the 4A title beating P-R.

Reactions: sched13
Had a chance to talk to a ton of P-R people close to the program the past couple days and got a lot of good info about the starters on both sides of the ball. Here's what they told me:

Offense
LT: Ruddock 6'4" 270 SR
LG: Bales 6'0 300 SR
C: Dorundo 6'1 260 SR
RG: Katic 6'3 290 SR
RT: Kristofic 6'6" 270 SR
WR: Cafardi 6'0 170 SR
WR: Tierno 5'9 170 SR
WR: L. Miller 6'2" 170 SO
WR: Johnson 6'3" 185 SO
RB: Meckler 5'9" 175 JR
QB: Spencer 5'10 175 SO

Also seeing time will be:
RB: King 6'1" 225 SR
RB: Geyer 5'10" 185 JR
RB: Cerminara 5'10 215 SR
WR: Jochem 5'10" 170 SO
WR: Mill 5'10" 165 SO
WR: Stenson 6'1" 185 SR

King will be seeing a lot of time on offense. Probably as much as will allow since he is also a very important defender. The competition battles are mostly done. But don't be surprised to see all 10th grade WR's on the field a times.

Defense
DE: T. Miller 5'11" 225 JR
DT: Katic, Bails
DT: Kristofic, Dorundo
DE: Jackson 5'11 225 SO
LB: King
LB: Cerminara
LB: M. Miller 6'0 205 SR
CB: Hetzel 5'11 175 SR
CB: Stenson
S: Meckler
S: Boyd 5'10" 175 JR or Schwiger 5'9" 165 SO

Also seeing time will be
DE/DT: Eckenroad 6'2" 220 SR
DE/LB: Lawten 6'2" 220 SR

The only position battle that is still on going is for the last safety spot. If neither of those kids can do it, they said Stenson will move back to S and another skill kid will play corner.

Other observations:
The roster is heavily loaded with SR and SO. Both those groups were undefeated as freshman and want to keep up what the departing SR's started. I was told, but can't believe this, that the SO class beat their peers last year by even worse amount that the SR's did (Jurkovec, etc.) when they were FR.

They feel this will be the best offensive line in school history and will be among the best in the state.

Spencer is the real deal at QB. P-R will run the ball more than last year, but don't be surprised if Spencer is an all-conference level QB this year and a Fab-22 kid as a JR and SR. He's been that good in practice.

Good info New2PA. Thanks for sharing. IMG has a bit of a QB battle going on last I heard. David Baldwin (3-star recruit) was the supposed frontrunner, but has struggled and is battling with 2 others for the nod in Week 1. But, with two of the nations top RBs (Trey Sanders and Noah Cain) and the talent they have on the O-line, I imagine they will run, run, run. The key for P-R will be stopping the run and forcing IMG to pass, but even then I just hope P-R makes it a close game. I love the fact that P-R set up this matchup and agree with you in hoping they schedule games like this in the future! Thanks again!

gotta be able to have some balance to compete with the other big boys imo. If they can't get some semblance of a passing game going with whoever is back there then it won't be good. NA and PCC both look like their gonna be pretty good this year with very good defenses for both.

Sunseri will play QB for Central. I liked the other kid but Totten decided to go with the pedigree or maybe it was because he threatened to transfer to PR. I expect him to be a running QB. He is a tough kid . The word I’m hearing is PCC will have a great defensive line possibly the best in the state. We shall see. Should be quite a battle in the trenches when they go up against PR’s vaunted O Line this year.

Sunseri will play QB for Central. I liked the other kid but Totten decided to go with the pedigree or maybe it was because he threatened to transfer to PR. I expect him to be a running QB. He is a tough kid . The word I’m hearing is PCC will have a great defensive line possibly the best in the state. We shall see. Should be quite a battle in the trenches when they go up against PR’s vaunted O Line this year.

Do you think they will let Sunseri play defense too? I thought he played very hard at LB when I saw him vs. P-R.

That a very nice reload for the DL if they think they can be better than last year while losing David Green and the Moore kid from that line.

Reactions: Soup13

He seemed like a better LB than QB. Also heard the same thing he’s more of a runner. Talking to some people I know word has been PCC is supposedly going to pass even more than last year. It seems like totten and whoever is the OC has held them back for a while. Last year they tried running a spread and they looked very disorganized and inefficient.

I doubt Sunseri plays defense unless he has to. If he does it would stand to reason it will be as a deep safety as opposed to being in the box like last year. My hunch is the O will be better than last year with Sunseri running the spread.
Do you think they will let Sunseri play defense too? I thought he played very hard at LB when I saw him vs. P-R.

That a very nice reload for the DL if they think they can be better than last year while losing David Green and the Moore kid from that line.

Central played with a lot of inexperience on the DL last year. Weren’t gap sound against Cathedral Prep and PR last year. Remember, Moore missed most of the year coming off a severe shoulder injury in pre season. Was able to get back on the field late and did a pretty good job but was never 100%. They are expecting big improvement on the DL compared to last year. We shall see !

I doubt Sunseri plays defense unless he has to. If he does it would stand to reason it will be as a deep safety as opposed to being in the box like last year. My hunch is the O will be better than last year with Sunseri running the spread.

Central played with a lot of inexperience on the DL last year. Weren’t gap sound against Cathedral Prep and PR last year. Remember, Moore missed most of the year coming off a severe shoulder injury in pre season. Was able to get back on the field late and did a pretty good job but was never 100%. They are expecting big improvement on the DL compared to last year. We shall see !
Looks like the same ole same ole pcc; PR, PCC and NA.

Looks like the same ole same ole pcc; PR, PCC and NA.

I mentioned this before but two sleeper teams will be norwin and mount lebo. Both return a lot of key players from last year and each has some nice skill guys coming back. One question mark for these teams though is will their lines be able to hold up against the massive and talented lines PR/NA/PCC will have this year?

Jacky- Lebo has size but not a lot of experience on the lines. Their skills are very solid. I expect their qb to have huge numbers but D has been bad scheme wise for years. Their DC quit or was asked to leave. The Head Coach is running the D he learned at Michigan this spring. I think it will be their Achilles heel once again. I know Norwin has the qb and solid skill kids but I do not know not much more than that. I think NA and PR will be very very good. Walker has a ton coming back for him and not happy with how the year went in “17”. I am not a a PCC fan, Recruits everywhere and can’t win against the top dawgs. They need to evolve on offense, stop the ground and pound. SJP owned them twice with the same talent or less....

Quick comments on this:

NA played P-R tougher than anyone overall, but they need to fix their defense.

Curious to see if PCC will really pass the ball more. They just lost a decent QB and didn't. But I've never seen this Sunseri kid play offense.

I would agree on Lebo - they also need to fix their defense.

Norwin has been getting some pub. I was expecting them to win the Westmoreland County Coaches 7v7, but they didn't even make the finals. That was a little surprising given the talent they have.

Quick comments on this:

Curious to see if PCC will really pass the ball more. They just lost a decent QB and didn't. But I've never seen this Sunseri kid play offense.

Norwin has been getting some pub. I was expecting them to win the Westmoreland County Coaches 7v7, but they didn't even make the finals. That was a little surprising given the talent they have.
New- Good stuff... Curious, what’s up with the NA D? Surprising to me. Thx

New- Good stuff... Curious, what’s up with the NA D? Surprising to me. Thx

Last year they changed from the 4 man front I thought they usually used since I've been watching to a 3 man front. Even though offensively they played very well vs. P-R the two games I watched, they gave up over 500 yards in both games. I think in game 1 P-R had over 600 rushing and in game 2 they gave up over 400 passing. That wasn't very NA-like.

Quick comments on this:

Supposedly, Totten is close to retirement. Change is coming one way or another. With Sunseri, I think they are going to open it up and pass. The Sunseri’s have a lot of pull at Central.

Supposedly, Totten is close to retirement. Change is coming one way or another. With Sunseri, I think they are going to open it up and pass. The Sunseri’s have a lot of pull at Central.

PCC64: This may be just a coincidence or a typo or something, but Coach Totten is no longer listed at PCC's Head Coach on their MaxPreps site. Somebody named Corey McMahon is. ????

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/central-catholic-vikings-(pittsburgh,pa)/football/schedule.htm

Last year they changed from the 4 man front I thought they usually used since I've been watching to a 3 man front. Even though offensively they played very well vs. P-R the two games I watched, they gave up over 500 yards in both games. I think in game 1 P-R had over 600 rushing and in game 2 they gave up over 400 passing. That wasn't very NA-like.

If I remember correctly the first game they only had the 3 linemen as the only people on or near the los and dropping 6-8 into coverage most plays. PCC did a similar setup the first game they played PR and they were ran on hard over as well. IMO a lot of people didn't respect PRs line and jordan crawford, including NA and PCC, and they made them pay. Crawford in general was very underrated, he solidified himself as the best back in the state last year but nobody mentions him.

Hearing sunseri isn’t QB anymore and they have anouther kid now. Heard he’s back to LB. also heard the jones kid is out for the season.

With all due respect to our Gibsonian Bretheren, but based on previous posts I thought Sunseri was the next great PR qb, now with 2 weeks before IMG, there is a different QB. Either previous info was some of the hyperbole we get from that part of the state sometimes or Jacky is wrong. Jacky is usually not wrong.

With all due respect to our Gibsonian Bretheren, but based on previous posts I thought Sunseri was the next great PR qb, now with 2 weeks before IMG, there is a different QB. Either previous info was some of the hyperbole we get from that part of the state sometimes or Jacky is wrong. Jacky is usually not wrong.

Not sure what you’re gettinv at, it was established awhile ago sunseri stayed at pcc.

Cole Spencer is the leader to be P-R QB.

When I saw Sunseri play LB for PCC last year, I thought he was a nice player. Will help them at LB.

Jacky- Lebo has size but not a lot of experience on the lines. Their skills are very solid. I expect their qb to have huge numbers but D has been bad scheme wise for years. Their DC quit or was asked to leave. The Head Coach is running the D he learned at Michigan this spring. I think it will be their Achilles heel once again. I know Norwin has the qb and solid skill kids but I do not know not much more than that. I think NA and PR will be very very good. Walker has a ton coming back for him and not happy with how the year went in “17”. I am not a a PCC fan, Recruits everywhere and can’t win against the top dawgs. They need to evolve on offense, stop the ground and pound. SJP owned them twice with the same talent or less....
Did I read correctly from someone on here (or somewhere else) that LEBO has lost their starting DT for the season? If so, that is a pretty big blow. Thanks in advance.

Did I read correctly from someone on here (or somewhere else) that LEBO has lost their starting DT for the season? If so, that is a pretty big blow. Thanks in advance.

Sched - I heard a Jr. Lineman blew out his shoulder prior to camp, big kid but no varsity exp.....
I have not heard anything regarding a starter or impact player getting hurt.

Sam Sloan was the name, according to a wpial account on Twitter he was gonna be a “stud”. Mount lebo has a lot of big linemen in their junior class I believe.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Soup13
Sam Sloan was the name, according to a wpial account on Twitter he was gonna be a “stud”. Mount lebo has a lot of big linemen in their junior class I believe.
[/QUOTE]

Jacky - I just text my buddy who lives in Lebo, said the kid has not really done anything or played in two years due to various injuries. says he has potential.... you know what that means. ha!

Reactions: JACKY6996
Saw that IMG Academy is getting rocked by Lake City Columbia early. 21-0 end of 1st qtr.

Columbia is a pretty good squad, but has nowhere near the talent IMG has on their team. QB position for IMG is an issue thus far. Still have not completed a pass.

It is a preseason game for both teams, but IMG's Blue Team (the traveling team) scheduled to play the 1st half according to the announcers and losing now 33-13 in the 2nd quarter. Noah Cain has looked great for IMG (2TDs). Penalties have been the difference, as IMG has had at least 6 Pass interference calls go against them.

Game is being broadcasted LIVE on Facebook:

Last edited:
Reactions: JACKY6996
Saw that IMG Academy is getting rocked by Lake City Columbia early. 21-0 end of 1st qtr.

Columbia is a pretty good squad, but has nowhere near the talent IMG has on their team. QB position for IMG is an issue thus far. Still have not completed a pass.

It is a preseason game for both teams, but IMG's Blue Team (the traveling team) scheduled to play the 1st half according to the announcers and losing now 33-13 in the 2nd quarter. Noah Cain has looked great for IMG (2TDs). Penalties have been the difference, as IMG has had at least 6 Pass interference calls go against them.

Game is being broadcasted LIVE on Facebook:

If img can’t pass PR defense is set up perfectly to stop the run. I can say for sure the PR kids believe they can win this. If Spencer can make some of these throws and plays I saw him make in practice to other day put them on upset alert!

If img can’t pass PR defense is set up perfectly to stop the run. I can say for sure the PR kids believe they can win this. If Spencer can make some of these throws and plays I saw him make in practice to other day put them on upset alert!

I was thinking the same thing while watching the game, although with Noah Cain and Trey Sanders running the ball, they will need to tackle well. IMO, I think last night was a wake up call for IMG and they will be ready. Another advantage is the location of the game. Does anyone know if the game will be televised nationally? If not, will it be available on the internet (other than IMG Facebook page)? I hated watching that IMG Facebook page last night, but it is better than nothing! Lol

Does anybody know if the IMG Academy vs. Pine-Richland game will be streamed anywhere over the internet? I saw Pine post their website (PRTV Live) on Twitter, but they have not broadcasted live football games in the past. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well, can't say the results didn't go near as expected. IMG is just too much for probably most teams in the country. Gotta give credit to pr for playing this game, they were just very out matched athletically. A bright spot was as the game went on, PR defense seemed to be figuring it out and getting stops and they forced some turnovers. That group looks like they could be a great defense by mid season. The issue was the inexperience and youth at the offensive skill positions showed. Soph nerves obviously showed with QB, and the play calls weren't good on offense at all imo, which is surprising because they usually call good games (what was with all the tunnel screens and speed options, img is way way to fast for those plays to work). I don't think spencer even completed a pass until the end of the second.

Overall I think this will be a good learning experience for them and it's good practice basically going up against the best their is, no team they play this year is even half as good as img. Just hope this didn't rattle spencers confidence, not a great debut that's for sure. Also hope hetzels ok, didn't look good they had him in a sling after the game.

Well, can't say the results didn't go near as expected. IMG is just too much for probably most teams in the country. Gotta give credit to pr for playing this game, they were just very out matched athletically. A bright spot was as the game went on, PR defense seemed to be figuring it out and getting stops and they forced some turnovers. That group looks like they could be a great defense by mid season. The issue was the inexperience and youth at the offensive skill positions showed. Soph nerves obviously showed with QB, and the play calls weren't good on offense at all imo, which is surprising because they usually call good games (what was with all the tunnel screens and speed options, img is way way to fast for those plays to work). I don't think spencer even completed a pass until the end of the second.

Overall I think this will be a good learning experience for them and it's good practice basically going up against the best their is, no team they play this year is even half as good as img. Just hope this didn't rattle spencers confidence, not a great debut that's for sure. Also hope hetzels ok, didn't look good they had him in a sling after the game.

Personally, I think Pine-Richland is in for a long season. I think they'll lose a couple more games. The defense played well at times despite the offense giving IMG great field position most of the time. I expected Pine to attack them through the air throwing the ball and that just didn't happen. During IMG's exhibition game last week, Columbia drew at least 10 pass interference calls. Pine didn't take many shots deep challenging IMG's weakness.

IMG is a power ass house . This game does not define PR at all, if anything will make them stronger. They have a great coaching staff and they will use this as a positive. I think PR and NA will be the top two this year. Pgh CC to me is the next threat in 6A.

Personally, I think Pine-Richland is in for a long season. I think they'll lose a couple more games. The defense played well at times despite the offense giving IMG great field position most of the time. I expected Pine to attack them through the air throwing the ball and that just didn't happen. During IMG's exhibition game last week, Columbia drew at least 10 pass interference calls. Pine didn't take many shots deep challenging IMG's weakness.

You and I watched a different game then. That IMG defense was RIDICULOUS. Size and speed everywhere. Can't judge a team at all based on an irrelevant scrimmage. Most guys don't play 100% in those. I was way to optimistic going off scrimmage results I'll admit it. PR had no way of throwing against them, the Qb literally had no time what so ever and the secondary was physical and had tight coverage. You can't judge PR at all based on this game, they would've creamed every team in the state the same way. PR won't play a team half as good as them this year.

Reactions: Soup13 and new2pa
IMG was the best high school team I have ever seen. I thought the 2014 and 2017 St. Joe's Prep teams were good, as well as the 2015 Central Catholic team. They couldn't hold a candle to IMG. I actually thought the P-R O and D lines did a nice job getting push initially on both LOS, but the IMG players got off blocks and made plays for no or small gain that normally would have been nice plays. The DE, #42 and the DB #25 were incredible.

Offensively, the program had both tackles listed at something like 6'8" 350. And they weren't sloppy. The QB was huge and the RB's were ridiculously big. I also thought that IMG was pretty well disciplined. They got lined up and played.

It seemed like the P-R QB had some time initially, but was running quite a bit because no one could shake free. And early on he was rattled - bounced his first pass. I guess that's what you get from a sophomore. With that being said, that kid can play. He was their best runner and clearly has arm talent.

I saw one kid on the sideline in a sling, but other than that, I didn't see any injury. I would expect that the P-R coaches get the kids ready for the next game and use this as a great learning tool. Like Jacky said, P-R won't play a team 1/2 has good as IMG for the rest of the year. The P-R kids never quit and battled. No long faces on the sideline or finger pointing. Got their butts kicked but just played hard.

Hope P-R continues to schedule these sorts of games. They have fared well. 1 pt loss to St. Edwards, mercy rule win over Wayne and mercy rule loss to IMG. You win some, you lose some, but those games teach the kids great lessons about hard work and talent and effort.

IMG was the best high school team I have ever seen. I thought the 2014 and 2017 St. Joe's Prep teams were good, as well as the 2015 Central Catholic team. They couldn't hold a candle to IMG. I actually thought the P-R O and D lines did a nice job getting push initially on both LOS, but the IMG players got off blocks and made plays for no or small gain that normally would have been nice plays. The DE, #42 and the DB #25 were incredible.

Offensively, the program had both tackles listed at something like 6'8" 350. And they weren't sloppy. The QB was huge and the RB's were ridiculously big. I also thought that IMG was pretty well disciplined. They got lined up and played.

It seemed like the P-R QB had some time initially, but was running quite a bit because no one could shake free. And early on he was rattled - bounced his first pass. I guess that's what you get from a sophomore. With that being said, that kid can play. He was their best runner and clearly has arm talent.

I saw one kid on the sideline in a sling, but other than that, I didn't see any injury. I would expect that the P-R coaches get the kids ready for the next game and use this as a great learning tool. Like Jacky said, P-R won't play a team 1/2 has good as IMG for the rest of the year. The P-R kids never quit and battled. No long faces on the sideline or finger pointing. Got their butts kicked but just played hard.

Hope P-R continues to schedule these sorts of games. They have fared well. 1 pt loss to St. Edwards, mercy rule win over Wayne and mercy rule loss to IMG. You win some, you lose some, but those games teach the kids great lessons about hard work and talent and IMG was very talented. However, they do

ADVERTISEMENT