ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2018

Jacky, I was at several grad parties this weekend and heard contradictory info about the Ohio QB enrolling at NA (he has not.) I did hear the same thing about the Spencer boy winning the job and playing well at the Pitt 7v7. P-R must have been really bad at Penn State last weekend, but at Pitt they had King and Meckler back which helped a lot. Was also told King and Meckler are playing much more offense and King is dominant defensively. It sounded to me like the offensive skill positions are half 10th graders and half upper classmen. The defensive skill is mostly older kids. Don't remember many names of the kids. Sorry. Will think about it..

Just a rumour I suppose. Wouldn’t make much sense anyways as I do not think he would fit their scheme well. I believe their gonna have 2 sophs and 2 seniors at receiver, and then add in king as the hback and meckler/Geyer at RB. Key will be cerminara and king staying healthy. They’re the key peices to the defense.

Reactions: new2pa
Besides QB and RBs, who are the other skill kids in the mix? All new from last year I would guess.

Besides QB and RBs, who are the other skill kids in the mix? All new from last year I would guess.

The two seniors are Stenson and Shane cafardi. Both should be very good this season. Cafardi I think started the game against Mannheim last year because one of the starters was hurt. The two sophs I’ve heard about are d’avay Johnson and Luke miller. I’ve heard the Miller kid is supposed to be very good as well. meckler will have a Crawford type roll, they’re line him up wide and in the slot. Defensively I think stenson takes the other safety spot next to meckler, and they’ll have a few different kids that play the corner spots like last year.

The two seniors are Stenson and Shane cafardi. Both should be very good this season. Cafardi I think started the game against Mannheim last year because one of the starters was hurt. The two sophs I’ve heard about are d’avay Johnson and Luke miller. I’ve heard the Miller kid is supposed to be very good as well. meckler will have a Crawford type roll, they’re line him up wide and in the slot. Defensively I think stenson takes the other safety spot next to meckler, and they’ll have a few different kids that play the corner spots like last year.

Jacky/New2- The conference should be up for grabs? Who is the favorite? Pgh CC, NA or PR?

Jacky/New2- The conference should be up for grabs? Who is the favorite? Pgh CC, NA or PR?

IMO it’s even more up for grabs, mount lebo returns some very good players and a very solid core and they’re always well coached. Norwin has never been a power but they have one of the top all around players in Jayvon thrift, a D1 QB and a D1 WR. They should improve a lot.

I’d say it’s neck and neck between NA, pr and pcc. All three have teams I can see winning it too (wpial). And since they’re isn’t really a super team like PR last year all the games should be fairly close and could go either way. My two sleeper teams are norwin and lebo. Seneca valley also could be nice again.

IMO it’s even more up for grabs, mount lebo returns some very good players and a very solid core and they’re always well coached. Norwin has never been a power but they have one of the top all around players in Jayvon thrift, a D1 QB and a D1 WR. They should improve a lot.

I’d say it’s neck and neck between NA, pr and pcc. All three have teams I can see winning it too (wpial). And since they’re isn’t really a super team like PR last year all the games should be fairly close and could go either way. My two sleeper teams are norwin and lebo. Seneca valley also could be nice again.

Jacky - I hear you. Mt Lebo can score but has had a terrible defensive scheme the last few years and can not stop anyone. Their DC resigned and Melnyk(spelling) is running the D. I see that as a disaster. Norwin has that stud QB but I'm not sure what else? Pgh CC has its 4-5 star recruits year in and year out but are so one dimensional on offense. I will say NA ( Steeler nation/transfer nation) gets it done but if PR QB gets it going early who knows...

Jacky - I hear you. Mt Lebo can score but has had a terrible defensive scheme the last few years and can not stop anyone. Their DC resigned and Melnyk(spelling) is running the D. I see that as a disaster. Norwin has that stud QB but I'm not sure what else? Pgh CC has its 4-5 star recruits year in and year out but are so one dimensional on offense. I will say NA ( Steeler nation/transfer nation) gets it done but if PR QB gets it going early who knows...

Yeah they’re defense will be big. It if doesn’t improve from last year they will likely have anouther first round exit.

Norwin has the stud QB and thrift and rizzo. They should make some noise and could be very good.

You’re wrong about pcc though, they have some talent like always but not 4-5 star guys. This team is nothing like the ones from 2-3 years ago. They also tried opening their offense and they moved to more of a spread scheme last year. The NewQB for them is a better runner than he is thrower. They may have the vest defense in the conference on paper right now IMO.

If the PR QB gets rolling early they will be dangerous. Same with NA and PCC id say. All three have good cores of skill players and good lines. Think PR might have the best line in the wpial and possible state as well. Seems way to close now to call any team a favorite, think we’ll just have to wait a few weeks into the season to see where the teams are.

Reactions: new2pa and Soup13
IMO, if P-R's secondary solidifies, I'd take P-R to win the WPIAL. They will be able to run the ball like never before and I think the defense will be the best its ever been. NA lost their top 7 or 8 O and D linemen, which is a poor matchup vs. P-R this year. NA's chance IMO is opening up the offense a little bit. They won't have to conserve every possession like last year vs. P-R because they new P-R would score. PCC is a wildcard IMO. The lost their top 5 LB's to graduation, transfer or position change (assuming Sunseri plays QB and not LB.) That's tough. They do return a couple RBs and #5 from last year looked like he could be special.

Like Stalker said above, State High should be very good this year. Lots of underclassmen on last years team and a senior QB I think. How's there schedule. The need to be ready to play a WPIAL champion who's going to have 4 or 5 tough games under their belt. (If its P-R, that would be 2x vs NA and PCC and IMG plus sold Lebo and Norwin teams.

Should be an exciting year at the top of 6A.

A little more I head last night on P-R's QB Spencer - they think he could be a pretty good one again. No Jurkovec, but perhaps eventually as good as DiNucci. If that happens, watch out.

IMO, if P-R's secondary solidifies, I'd take P-R to win the WPIAL. They will be able to run the ball like never before and I think the defense will be the best its ever been. NA lost their top 7 or 8 O and D linemen, which is a poor matchup vs. P-R this year. NA's chance IMO is opening up the offense a little bit. They won't have to conserve every possession like last year vs. P-R because they new P-R would score. PCC is a wildcard IMO. The lost their top 5 LB's to graduation, transfer or position change (assuming Sunseri plays QB and not LB.) That's tough. They do return a couple RBs and #5 from last year looked like he could be special.

Like Stalker said above, State High should be very good this year. Lots of underclassmen on last years team and a senior QB I think. How's there schedule. The need to be ready to play a WPIAL champion who's going to have 4 or 5 tough games under their belt. (If its P-R, that would be 2x vs NA and PCC and IMG plus sold Lebo and Norwin teams.

Should be an exciting year at the top of 6A.

A little more I head last night on P-R's QB Spencer - they think he could be a pretty good one again. No Jurkovec, but perhaps eventually as good as DiNucci. If that happens, watch out.

I’m still skeptically to full pick pr just because they still have inexperience. But I definitely agree with you, I doubt teams have much success running the ball against them this year so if they can defend against the pass well watch out.

The thing about NA is they have the largest roster probably in the state, they seem to have no problem finding new players every year. They lost vardzel but have some very good wide outs in Corey melzer, joey porter, and Luke collela. The QB I heard next year (assuming that rumour I heard about Ohio kid isn’t true) is shorter than trueman but same skill set, can make some throws and very good athlete and at running the ball. Their line should be very big and good, 2 D1 kids on it as well. They return maenza at RB and precise colon (5’5 150lbs) may be the other guy, they’ve had great success before with the little speed backs. The reason the other NA receivers seem to never get the ball is because they don’t throw much and when they do it’s usaully to the WR1 or TE’s. I think they have some underrated guys that you wouldn’t hear about because they never get the ball. Defensively hoke returns from injury at LB and he was very good as a soph, they also have capaoto and Augustine back at LB. They also return their whole starting secondary (melzer, rankin, collela, porter). Honestly I don’t think they’ll have a issue finding good d line if they don’t already have some o linemen playing both ways as well. And finally they have depth everywhere, when you have 120 kids it’s probably easy. Overall I think NA is going to be very good next year, and has a pretty big chance to win it all.

PCC has some guys coming up as well (particularly some LB’s I’ve heard) that are supposed to be good players. They also recently picked up a transfer from bethel park, aj beatty, who started as a soph at TE/DE. He looked good whenever I saw him. They’re extremely deep on the D line this year particularly ends, they now have the Beatty kid, Brian Dallas, the Allen twins, and Elliot Morgan returns who played as a frosh and has a offer from Toledo. I think sunseri is their best option at QB, but like I said I think the lb’s they have will be good. I think the Robson kids playing WR now probably to offset the lost of Thomas, he could be special as well. Heard big things about him before he got hurt.

I’ve known about Spencer since he was in 7th grade and heard back then people say he would be a stud. I’d agree with his ceiling would be dinucci, but he also would be a way better runner, very elusive.

That is a good point Jacky about NA always finding plenty of OL type kids.

I think this year will come down to the OL/DL .... might be smash mouth. Also did see that Pgh CC tried the spread but was a very basic version, did not look good. IMO

Soup, did you see PCC this summer? The last few years that has been their MO - try the spread but go back to running the ball all the time during the season.

Reactions: JACKY6996
Yeah I agree, the one they ran last year didn’t look very efficient. They ran power I the whole season in 2016 with some spread mixed in occasionally. In 2015 they ran the spread a lot but they ran from that more than passed. Itll be interesting how they do it this year with a new QB.

Some interesting comments by all. I did hear that Spencer was OUTSTANDING throwing the ball at the Pitt 7-on-7 event. Like Jacky stated above, I think the key to P-R's success will be keeping King/Cerminara healthy. King is a BEAST, so is Cerm. A lot of guys will play both ways this year for them. Their offensive scheme will not change much (Hurry up and score) and I feel their coaching will be the difference towards winning the WPIAL.

Soup, did you see PCC this summer? The last few years that has been their MO - try the spread but go back to running the ball all the time during the season.

New- I did not see them recently and was referring to last year. I agree the last two years with Fisher behind center they would “dabble” with spread and then go back to their run game. Their route tree, progressions were in my mind outdated.

Yeah I agree, the one they ran last year didn’t look very efficient. They ran power I the whole season in 2016 with some spread mixed in occasionally. In 2015 they ran the spread a lot but they ran from that more than passed. Itll be interesting how they do it this year with a new QB.
Yes , I agree it was peculiar what they were trying to do , never fully commmitted to it...

Besides Porter Jr. and their QB, who else does NA have returning? I know they lost pretty much all of their O and D line to graduation. Regardless of what they lost, I know to never count out an Art Walker coached squad. Thanks in advance gents!

I think #6 Colella? and #8 Rankin and #33 (a LB) and Hoke back from torn ACL.

He played LB two years ago. I guess that’s what he’ll play now. He wasn’t that tall/thick, but played hard if my memory serves.

Besides Porter Jr. and their QB, who else does NA have returning? I know they lost pretty much all of their O and D line to graduation. Regardless of what they lost, I know to never count out an Art Walker coached squad. Thanks in advance gents!

On offense they return Ben Maenza at RB, corey melzer at WR, and they have one of their guards returning. They also have anouther linemen back that missed most of last year with injury. All other receivers+ TE's+QB are gone.

defensively they return their whole starting secondary (Corey Melzer, Nikko Rankin, Luke Collela, joey porter) and 2 of the three linebackers they used (Dante Caputo #21, Ethan augustine #33). Also hoke will be back from his injury (listed at 6'0 218 on hudl). I also believe their PK is back as well. Should be a very good team imo despite losing quite a few players they have got some guys in the ranks that have been waiting their turn.

On offense they return Ben Maenza at RB, corey melzer at WR, and they have one of their guards returning. They also have anouther linemen back that missed most of last year with injury. All other receivers+ TE's+QB are gone.

defensively they return their whole starting secondary (Corey Melzer, Nikko Rankin, Luke Collela, joey porter) and 2 of the three linebackers they used (Dante Caputo #21, Ethan augustine #33). Also hoke will be back from his injury (listed at 6'0 218 on hudl). I also believe their PK is back as well. Should be a very good team imo despite losing quite a few players they have got some guys in the ranks that have been waiting their turn.
Thanks Jacky! I appreciate ya!

Reactions: JACKY6996
These posts about PR are about 50% correct.

Yes, they should have an absolutely dominant line on both sides of the ball this year. What remains to be seen is if the new skill kids on offense and the back 4 of the defense can get it done or not.

Spencer has solidified the job at QB. Took almost all the reps at Pitt 7v7, got stronger as the day went on, and acted like a leader. His teammates want him to play.

Meckler is the best option at RB, but both Geyer and Cerminara should see reps there as well. The receivers all spring have been Dae Dae (last name?), Miller, Tierno and Cafardi. Hetzel should see time as a sub. King will see substantial time on O when the real football starts. Expect them to be in 11 personnel a lot more than the last 3 years.

Stenson has barely seen the field on O, and word is that neither his hands or knowledge of the PR system can be counted on. Calling him a 1000 yd receiver borders on ridiculous.

On D, they should have the best front 7 in the WPIAL. A bunch of returning kids that dominated last year and are all a year bigger and stronger. Merrick Miller should be the one addition at LB, and he has looked solid all Spring/Summer. He’s smart and a bit more athletic than the Marfisi kid was last year.

The DB’s should be Hetzel/Cafardi at CB and Meckler/Stenson at S. I would expect teams to test those 4 early on, as they are comparatively inexperienced to the rest of the D.

Reactions: sched13 and new2pa
PR is the best coached team in the West. They will be the team to beat. If O and D lines are as good as stated, they will team to beat in the West

Reactions: sched13 and new2pa
These look about right. I don't agree with Erie though. Would but PCC in from out this way.

Initial PennLive 6A Rankings
1. St. Joseph’s Prep (12) – 13-1 – 2
2. Pine-Richland (7) – 16-0 – 1
3. Coatesville (1) – 13-2 – 3
4. Parkland (11) – 13-1 – 5
5. Williamsport (4) – 7-4 – NR
6. North Allegheny (7) – 8-4 – NR
7. State College (6) – 10-3 – 8
8. North Penn (1) – 9-3 – NR
9. Central Bucks South (1) – 7-4 – NR
10. Erie (10) – 9-3 – NR

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/07/pennlives_early_2018_high_scho.html

These look about right. I don't agree with Erie though. Would but PCC in from out this way.

Initial PennLive 6A Rankings
1. St. Joseph’s Prep (12) – 13-1 – 2
2. Pine-Richland (7) – 16-0 – 1
3. Coatesville (1) – 13-2 – 3
4. Parkland (11) – 13-1 – 5
5. Williamsport (4) – 7-4 – NR
6. North Allegheny (7) – 8-4 – NR
7. State College (6) – 10-3 – 8
8. North Penn (1) – 9-3 – NR
9. Central Bucks South (1) – 7-4 – NR
10. Erie (10) – 9-3 – NR

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/07/pennlives_early_2018_high_scho.html
I heard PR is going up to Steubenville tomorrow with a few teams for 7 on 7. That will tell you a lot as Steubenville is good year to year with a lot of speed.

Close. PR is traveling to USC tomorrow for a quad 7v7 with Steubenville, Belle Vernon and USC.

Heard Spencer was throwing dimes and looked very athletic. King sat out? He hurt?
Steubenville will have a down year with their schedule. Did not look sharp or all that impressive. USC qb was at best very average with a lot of skill talent around him. No word on BV.

Spencer played well. He took all the reps at QB, so he seems to have solidified the position at this point. PR skill kids performed as they have. Miller and Cafardi stood out on O. King didn’t play, but may have just been a day off for him as opposed to injury. PR defense was solid, but they still need to figure out a lineup among the DB’s. Sophomore kid took reps at safety today. Stenson out of place at CB.

The real story was the lack of competition from the other teams. PR was solid, but not spectacular. Both Steubenville and USC were well behind PR - both as to personnel and understanding scheme. Some of their kids were just lost as to assignments. Neither team is well suited to this format. Both had backs in 2 point stances and seemed to constantly run play fakes and roll out. I understand being committed to the scheme you run during the actual season, but it is still strange to see during 7v7. The rollouts could also be a product of how short both teams QB’s were. I would not expect much from either team this year.

BV was not there. No word on why.

Reactions: Soup13
Spencer played well. He took all the reps at QB, so he seems to have solidified the position at this point. PR skill kids performed as they have. Miller and Cafardi stood out on O. King didn’t play, but may have just been a day off for him as opposed to injury. PR defense was solid, but they still need to figure out a lineup among the DB’s. Sophomore kid took reps at safety today. Stenson out of place at CB.

The real story was the lack of competition from the other teams. PR was solid, but not spectacular. Both Steubenville and USC were well behind PR - both as to personnel and understanding scheme. Some of their kids were just lost as to assignments. Neither team is well suited to this format. Both had backs in 2 point stances and seemed to constantly run play fakes and roll out. I understand being committed to the scheme you run during the actual season, but it is still strange to see during 7v7. The rollouts could also be a product of how short both teams QB’s were. I would not expect much from either team this year.

New- Good stuff. I did find out that Steubenville will def. have a down year and lost alot of talent. Did not know this earlier. USC has a 1st year qb maybe they need to work on various formations, not sure...

You seem to know alot about PR, do you know who's replacing lemirande and boyd on the O line? I thought that one big kid that came back this year was gonna be the new left guard but I'm not for certain

Good stuff WPIAL Fan. Thanks for sharing. I am ready for the season to start already! Lol

You seem to know alot about PR, do you know who's replacing lemirande and boyd on the O line? I thought that one big kid that came back this year was gonna be the new left guard but I'm not for certain

I think the big kid you’re talking about is Cam Kirkland, but it could also be Brian Bails. Both are “back” this year, but neither has even taken a JV snap that I know of. There are also 2 younger linemen - Trent Miller and Miguel Jackson - that I hear they like a lot. The other options are seniors Eckenrode and Rudduck. Neither has distinguished themselves though and both are supposedly tough to coach.

Over the weekend, I was told that the OL will be all seniors. The big 3, and 2 more seniors.

Also, the skill guys on defense are settling out with Hetzel (Sr) and Stinson (Sr) at CB and Meckler (jr) back at safety with Schweigert (So.) the leading candidate for the other position.

It wasn't completely clear to me, but it sounds like none of those defensive backs would be full time offensive players. Meckler may be the only one. Big youth movement on the offensive skill.

I think the big kid you’re talking about is Cam Kirkland, but it could also be Brian Bails. Both are “back” this year, but neither has even taken a JV snap that I know of. There are also 2 younger linemen - Trent Miller and Miguel Jackson - that I hear they like a lot. The other options are seniors Eckenrode and Rudduck. Neither has distinguished themselves though and both are supposedly tough to coach.
remeber
Yeah bails is the guy. Kirkland is a former bball player he seems pretty athletic and could have high upside as an OT. From what i've heard they want him to get bigger. If I also remember correctly the eckenrode kid started a few games last year at DE because byrd was hurt. I assumed he was gonna be one of the starting DE's this year. I remember the ruddock kid left pr after his freshman year to play at north catholic, then he came back last year. i've heard similar things you did that he's difficult to coach etc. He has great size though (6'4 275). Also heard the younger guys you mentioned are very good, they should be in pretty good hands next year after kristofic, dorundo, and katic graduate. If none of them start on the O line this year I could see them being rotated in on the D line.

Over the weekend, I was told that the OL will be all seniors. The big 3, and 2 more seniors.

Also, the skill guys on defense are settling out with Hetzel (Sr) and Stinson (Sr) at CB and Meckler (jr) back at safety with Schweigert (So.) the leading candidate for the other position.

It wasn't completely clear to me, but it sounds like none of those defensive backs would be full time offensive players. Meckler may be the only one. Big youth movement on the offensive skill.

So if this is true (I'm assuming the two seniors are bails and ruddock) their o line would look like this left to right: 6'4 275, 6'1 300, 6'2 260, 6'4 270, 6'6 275. That would be the biggest O line I've ever seen PR have. I think it's smart to have less two way players this year, they don't have jurkovec and they won't be dropping 40 points consistently in the first half of games. I expect a few more closer 2nd half games this year. Hopefully they have some linemen that can sub in on defense as well so katic and kristofic stay fresh.

New or Jacky- I talked to my buddy who coaches for Pgh CC ... said coach K is not suspended and no assistant was fired. Can you confirm this?
Thx

That is correct. No coaches are suspended but one coach was fired. I didn’t really understand all the details (see a previous post of mine - the rumors were crazy) but I guess the fired coach had been a problem for some time and the issue with the transfer kid was the last straw. I also heard coach k was suspended for some period over the winter while they were investigating, but the day I went to spring practice he was there. So I’m not really sure if anything important happened.

besides the fired coach, I think 2 or 3 other coaches left the program at the lower levels.

Both Coach K and the QB coach were suspended for a month during the spring while they conducted some kind of investigation. They kept it very quiet, but they had to cancel their state championship ring ceremony because PR admin told Coach K he was not allowed to attend. Coach that was fired was their operations guy and JV coach. Seems he took the fall for a number of things their admin was upset about within the program. Again, the rumors are crazy. When my son played, he certainly seemed to be Coach K’s right hand guy, so should be interesting to see how that works out. His son is also a senior on the team this year, so that adds another dimension to it as well.

ADVERTISEMENT