ADVERTISEMENT

PCL realignment in 2016

socalfan33

Dec 6, 2012
http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/blogs/rally&id=360468181

Rick O'Brien's article:
Catholic League athletic directors passed a proposal for football realigment by a 10-3 vote in a meeting Thursday morning at Archbishop Carroll.

The move came after the PIAA voted in October to expand football
and other sports to six classifications.
The Catholic League will split into two seven-team divisions, based on classification, beginning next year.

There will be regular-season champions in each division, with no crossover game to decide an overall titlist. Teams will move on to playoffs in their respective classifications.
Here is the breakdown, with the school's new classification in parentheses:
RED DIVISION
La Salle (6A)
Roman Catholic (6A)
St. Joseph's Prep (6A)
Father Judge (6A)
Archbishop Ryan (5A)
Archbishop Carroll (5A)
Archbishop Wood (5A)
BLUE DIVISION
Bonner-Prendergast (4A)
Cardinal O'Hara (4A)
Lansdale Catholic (3A)
Conwell-Egan (3A)
Bishop McDevitt (2A)
West Catholic (2A)
Neumann-Goretti (2A)

It's nice to see three powers in the same class for a change..with Wood, Prep and LaSalle..

Any word on how they will decide the red/blue champions? Doubtful that they have a division playoff format as the teams still have to fight for classification playoffs.

Any word on how they will decide the red/blue champions? Doubtful that they have a division playoff format as the teams still have to fight for classification playoffs.

Regular season champ gets the plaque. All classification play after RS ends.

Reactions: exr001
What happens if 2 teams in the same classification have the same reg season league - e.g. if Ryan and Wood have same reg season league record and neither is Red Division champ, who moves on to PIAA playoffs? Is it determined by their head-to-head result?

What happens if 2 teams in the same classification have the same reg season league - e.g. if Ryan and Wood have same reg season league record and neither is Red Division champ, who moves on to PIAA playoffs? Is it determined by their head-to-head result?
My guess is they are going to do a point system and playoff of the top two to see who moves on to face the PPL champ.

I'm hearing the against was AW, AR and AC. Alternative proposal was three divisions, the 4 6a teams, then 2 divisions with 5 in each. You can see where AW AR AC would rather be in that division.

What exactly does the phrase ' teams will move onto playoffs in their respective classifications' mean ?

Does the the 6a team with the best regular season record advance , or will their be a playoff in place like they presently do ? If there is no playoff, how are ties broken ?

If there are playoffs , how many teams make it( 2 or 4). And if there are playoffs , what do you do with classifications that have less than 4 teams ?

So many unanswered questions

What exactly does the phrase ' teams will move onto playoffs in their respective classifications' mean ?

Does the the 6a team with the best regular season record advance , or will their be a playoff in place like they presently do ? If there is no playoff, how are ties broken ?

If there are playoffs , how many teams make it( 2 or 4). And if there are playoffs , what do you do with classifications that have less than 4 teams ?

So many unanswered questions
Actually, the questions are being asked and mainly answered toward the end of the very long "SJP" thread. It seems that Red and Blue regular seasons will determine who wins the two PCL champions and then there will be playoffs within each classification where there are two or more PCL teams. So, I'm sorry to say, there will be two rounds rather than one in 6A, one round in 5A, etc.

All four 6A teams will make classification playoffs. The top 2 5A teams will play. In 4A BP/CO will play. In 3A CE/LC will play. In 2A I believe the top RS team of the three will move onto the district title game. The winners of the 3A thru 6A playoffs will move onto district title games. The PCL champions will come from the RS winners of the Red/Blue divisions.

So 11 out of 14 teams in essence make the playoffs, and there will be no overall PCL champ determined ? What's the point of the regular season then?

So 11 out of 14 teams in essence make the playoffs, and there will be no overall PCL champ determined ? What's the point of the regular season then?

Is there an overall SOL champion? The point of the RS is to determine two league champions. Just like the SOL does, the Chestmont...

Until District-12 comes together to formulate a district playoff system then there is no other way to do it. They have to fill the weeks leading up to the state playoffs.

It's really 12 of 14. Was hoping only two of the 6A schools would get in. With the other classes only playing one game, does this mean there will be a bye week somewhere? In the past it took Wood 3 games to get out of D12, now they will only need 2.

One might say the SOL championship game is Saturday.

so the path for each of these teams outside of the 6a schools just got easier? Even the 6a schools path just got easier with fewer games but it could arguably be the toughest division in the state. Just a watered down system unless I'm missing something. Piaa really needs to sit down and figure this playoff system out. can't wait to see Ohara or bonner wearing AAAA district 12 champs jackets every other year with 3-7 records. Again, I could be missing something. Maybe if someone puts together a fake bracket it could help.

Huck: While those other leagues also may not crown a champion, their 11th best team does not make the post season. They are going to play 7 games each weekend for 7 consecutive weeks just to knockout 2 or 3 teams. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through especially for most classes where it wont even affect seeding.

The bones are here to make a really great PCL football league. See if you can throw Shanahan and JPII into it. Go east/west, north /south whatever. Mix them up like used to. Top 4 teams make playoffs in each division. Then meet for championship. Be done with the PIAA. You would be playing your championship game right about now. I honestly don't see a solution to make the regular season an event and keep the PIAA in play. Maybe the PCL needs to keep looking at the power points like the chesmont/central/suburban one teams. That of course will know the interac right out of there as they carry no points.

Huck: While those other leagues also may not crown a champion, their 11th best team does not make the post season. They are going to play 7 games each weekend for 7 consecutive weeks just to knockout 2 or 3 teams. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through especially for most classes where it wont even affect seeding.

Because it's a district issue. The primary reason in playing those games is to fill those weeks. If they didn't then they have bye weeks.

And you can only play six league games every weekend for 7 weeks :)

Going to six classes has watered down the entire landscape. Not just in the PCL, not just D-12, but everywhere.

I'm looking at the 4A class and below for D-1 & D-12. Man, it's gutted.

So, in D-12 4A you'll have BP/CO play to represent PCL. The Pub will decide between Overbrook, Boys' Latin, and Roxborough to represent them in a "City Title" game. Win that and one of six D-1 teams will be waiting. I guess in most years either Upper Moreland or Pottsgrove.

Move to 3A. If Imhotep stays there it would be a complete waste of time locally. I'm not sure what the rest of state offers here, but I'm not counting on it being challenging for them. So, we'll assume that they play-up (And I'll suggest they go to at least 5A in terms of it being worth their time). So that leaves LC/CE for the PCL. They'll get probably Prep Char/Del Val. The other D-12 3A teams are Future, Shoemaker Mastery North (Who the hell are they?), and Kipp. The winner here will get the massive test of beating either Lower Moreland, Springfield-M, or New Hope.

Move to 2A where in PCL WC/NG/BM winner gets to tangle with Strawberry Manion, the lone Pub 2A team for now. Winner of this gets either VFMA or Bristol. Ahh man, this is wonderful.

No D-12 teams in 1A, so Calvary, Delco Chrt., Morrisville, & Jenkintown get to trade roundhouses.

I agree Tep should play up. I would say the rest of the teams should also play up....but honestly they get penalized if they do.
The season would mean something if LC/MC/NG/BM/CE all played up to 4A with BP/CO. Then we have 6 teams at home when they could be still playing, and looking at the landscape...they should be playing. More shoes have to drop Huck.

Totally agree with Huck. Not much the Catholic League can do. Would love to see the Piaa go straight to regional playoffs after regular season is over. Top 32 from east based on power points and top 32 in west through each classification.
Huck a couple of things about the pub, as of now you missed Bartram and West Philly in 4A, don't know if either is playing up, not that they are major powers but 1 of the 2 will probably be winning that league most years. And from what I hear Mansion is playing up to 3A. So the pub will have no 2A or 1A teams. From what i have heard.

Speed Springfield (Mont) made the playoffs this year with a 3-6 record and probably the worst team in SOL.

Frk, yea I probably just overlooked and missed Bartram/West Philly when perusing the master list. Mind working quicker than the eyes :)

IC can do what they want. It's just my perception that if they are at this current level and even a notch or two below, then 95% of the time it would a colossal waste of time. And the good thing is that it's only a two year thing, so they could always slide back if they ended up biting off more than they could chew.

Speed Springfield (Mont) made the playoffs this year with a 3-6 record and probably the worst team in SOL.

You think that's bad, Lower Moreland made Springfield look like the '98 CBW team. They qualified for the 2A playoffs with a 2-8 record and were outscored 398-79 in 11 games playing an awful schedule.

I have always liked the idea of a super regional. Some of these playoffs at the lower classifications have become more than stale.

Last edited:
This is what everyone wanted with the 6 classes right? Or was it really to just placate the regions who now complain with the addition of D12 to the pool. Now they can feel like they are still able compete? Yes, you will get more representatives in the state playoffs and a couple of feel good stories, but what you really get is a watered down playoffs statewide. We'll be treated to a bunch of what if posts next year saying how this school would be competitive with the ones who are winning today, IF they could play.

Exr- couldn't agree more. The system will be watered down and the what ifs will overrun this board. Does anyone know how the playoff points system/bonus points will work with the new system? I've seen this question on a few different boards and no one seems to be able to answer it.

Exr- couldn't agree more. The system will be watered down and the what ifs will overrun this board. Does anyone know how the playoff points system/bonus points will work with the new system? I've seen this question on a few different boards and no one seems to be able to answer it.
Points will be worked out district by district

The could keep the same division alignment and make everyone in the Red a division 6a and everyone in the Blue Division 4a. Same schedule and top 4 in each make the playoffs. Every game would matter. Just making the playoffs would be an accomplishment and the 2 winners would be battle tested. It might be the best then top to bottom in the state. And you get the bonus of shutting up all those who question " why doesn't so and so play up"?

How would that be beneficial (or fair) to a school like McDevitt or NG? They have a chance in states if they play in the 2A division.

What's beneficial to the league is that you don't put all your eggs in two baskets, but spread them out in their proper classes and try to do as well as possible in states.

Nothing is ever going to be perfect, but I think this new set-up is the best they could do.

so the path for each of these teams outside of the 6a schools just got easier? Even the 6a schools path just got easier with fewer games but it could arguably be the toughest division in the state. Just a watered down system unless I'm missing something. Piaa really needs to sit down and figure this playoff system out. can't wait to see Ohara or bonner wearing AAAA district 12 champs jackets every other year with 3-7 records. Again, I could be missing something. Maybe if someone puts together a fake bracket it could help.

How did the path for 6A schools get easier? Their path to D12 title game is exactly the same - LaSalle, Roman, Judge & SJP will participate in a playoff for a spot in the D12 title game, just like they did this year.

Huck,
What is your opinion on WC? Shouldn't they also play up? Seems like 2a for them is a waste of time inside of District 12/1. What will they do?

Huck,
What is your opinion on WC? Shouldn't they also play up? Seems like 2a for them is a waste of time inside of District 12/1. What will they do?

If there were six classes from say 08-11, then I'd say those teams would be at least equipped to play at 4A or 5A. Today, not so much. Remember, they have played up from 1A to 2A the last two cycles and this is the first year they made it out of the district in those four years. They lost to NG last year. This year's team won the PCL, 7-6, and the district game 28-18. It wasn't easy. Not sure how they'll look next year. Decent crop of skill kids and DBs, but extremely thin on the lines and unsettled at QB. Since the threat of the school closing the program has changed. A Nocember roster of 50-60 kids is now one of 35-40.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT