ADVERTISEMENT

What year was the best for state championships?

northalleghenytiger

Aug 22, 2022
2021 comes to mind for me, probably a little Wpial biased

6A: Mt. Lebanon defeats St. Joseph’s prep 35-17
5A: Penn-Trafford defeats Imhotep 17-14 (OT)
4A: Aliquippa defeats Bishop Mcdevitt 34-27
3A: Central Valley defeats Wyomissing 7-0
2A: Southern Columbia defeats Serra Catholic 62-25
1A Bishop Guilfoyle defeats Redbank Valley 21-14

From these scores, every game was relatively close except for the 2A game. Also, Redbank Valley was the first district 9 team to play in a PIAA Championship since 1992.

What other years come to mind?

2021 comes to mind for me, probably a little Wpial biased

6A: Mt. Lebanon defeats St. Joseph’s prep 35-17
5A: Penn-Trafford defeats Imhotep 17-14 (OT)
4A: Aliquippa defeats Bishop Mcdevitt 34-27
3A: Central Valley defeats Wyomissing 7-0
2A: Southern Columbia defeats Serra Catholic 62-25
1A Bishop Guilfoyle defeats Redbank Valley 21-14

From these scores, every game was relatively close except for the 2A game. Also, Redbank Valley was the first district 9 team to play in a PIAA Championship since 1992.

What other years come to mind?
Tough going by scores alone (the great misleader!) and different emphasis from old school-power to new school-spread. But 1999 was a good one with 4A CB West edging Cathedral 14-13, 3A Strath Haven in a fight with West A 21-7, 2A Tyrone 13-6 over Mount Carmel and South Side Beaver beating Southern Columbia 27-21.

21 was a cool year tho with Lebo doing the Prep and Trafford over Imhotep. Pitt vs Philly? And great seeing Redbank Valley in there at 1A with 9 getting a team to the final, almost beating Guilfoyle.
I thought 1A Serra had enough to compete with Southern after beating Sto-Rox 12-1, Laurel 11-1 and Farrell 11-1. But SCA has had some scary good teams that matched up well with the big guys in a one game scenario. Don't know if they could handle a full schedule of 6As and 5As; Wpial 6A-5A, Mid Penn-Commonwealth, EPC-South, SOL-Nat teams.

Tough going by scores alone (the great misleader!) and different emphasis from old school-power to new school-spread. But 1999 was a good one with 4A CB West edging Cathedral 14-13, 3A Strath Haven in a fight with West A 21-7, 2A Tyrone 13-6 over Mount Carmel and South Side Beaver beating Southern Columbia 27-21.

21 was a cool year tho with Lebo doing the Prep and Trafford over Imhotep. Pitt vs Philly? And great seeing Redbank Valley in there at 1A with 9 getting a team to the final, almost beating Guilfoyle.
I thought 1A Serra had enough to compete with Southern after beating Sto-Rox 12-1, Laurel 11-1 and Farrell 11-1. But SCA has had some scary good teams that matched up well with the big guys in a one game scenario. Don't know if they could handle a full schedule of 6As and 5As; Wpial 6A-5A, Mid Penn-Commonwealth, EPC-South, SOL-Nat teams.
A coincidence you said 1999. I saw on YouTube there’s the full games of both the 1999 and 2000 4A Championship between Erie Cathedral Prep and Central Bucks West. Bot very good games. The 2000 game went to overtime, so i decided to look at that year

1A: Rochester Area defeats Southern Columbia 22-14 (a year SC actually doesn’t win)

2A: Mt Carmel Are defeats Aliquippa 26-6

3A: Strath Haven defeats West Allegheny 31-28 (Bob Palko and his son Tyler as a junior)

4A: Erie Cathedral Prep defeats Central Bucks West 41-35 (OT) (ECP get revenge from the year before)

Reactions: shfoot
A coincidence you said 1999. I saw on YouTube there’s the full games of both the 1999 and 2000 4A Championship between Erie Cathedral Prep and Central Bucks West. Bot very good games. The 2000 game went to overtime, so i decided to look at that year

1A: Rochester Area defeats Southern Columbia 22-14 (a year SC actually doesn’t win)

2A: Mt Carmel Are defeats Aliquippa 26-6

3A: Strath Haven defeats West Allegheny 31-28 (Bob Palko and his son Tyler as a junior)

4A: Erie Cathedral Prep defeats Central Bucks West 41-35 (OT) (ECP get revenge from the year before)
That 2000 ecp cb west game should have never went into OT. Prep Charles Rush and joe dipre stopped the cb west runner on a 4th and 1 and the refs gave cb west an extremely generous spot. Both the 99 and 2000 games were instant classics. So many stories going on. Cb west holding the longest state winning streak and being broken, Pettines last year, pichotti getting injured, prep getting revenge, game going into OT, 2 top 10 teams in the country playing for a state title, ect.....

That 2000 ecp cb west game should have never went into OT. Prep Charles Rush and joe dipre stopped the cb west runner on a 4th and 1 and the refs gave cb west an extremely generous spot. Both the 99 and 2000 games were instant classics. So many stories going on. Cb west holding the longest state winning streak and being broken, Pettines last year, pichotti getting injured, prep getting revenge, game going into OT, 2 top 10 teams in the country playing for a state title, ect.....
Just rewatched the play. Tough to tell but yeah he looks short. But the side ref had the best angle

Just rewatched the play. Tough to tell but yeah he looks short. But the side ref had the best angle
Wasn't even close, he was stopped behind the line of scrimmage also the game in the western quarter finals against Altoona should have never went into double ot. Tim dance got called for a BS pass interference call that would have put the game away. Neither stopped ecp though, they still went on to win it all and end cb wests 59 game winning streak.

Wasn't even close, he was stopped behind the line of scrimmage also the game in the western quarter finals against Altoona should have never went into double ot. Tim dance got called for a BS pass interference call that would have put the game away. Neither stopped ecp though, they still went on to win it all and end cb wests 59 game winning streak.
Yeah I just skimmed through that game aswell. Surprised that game was even close. Altoona really goofed that one

Yeah I just skimmed through that game aswell. Surprised that game was even close. Altoona really goofed that one
Altoona had some help from the refs with that pass interference call. Didn't matter because Dance returned the kickoff to send it to OT and eventually get the W. As good as Dance was his younger brother Tom was even better. He played QB for prep in 03 and was a state champ 100m hurdler. He went on to play football at Michigan st. Those late 90's early 2000 prep teams were loaded.

I think this year will be one of those years. I think even 6A won't be a blow out. PCC is loaded this year. I'm predicting the only blow out will be 2A. Southern will smoke any team from the west. Farrell is extremely good but young. I know Westinghouse is good but graduated a ton from last year.

I remember a lot of individual games like the 2000 CB West vs ECP game or 2003 Manheim Central vs Pine Richland but it's hard for me to remember all the games from a certain year as a whole. Except for 1994 when 3 local teams from my area in Mount Carmel, Southern Columbia and Berwick all won state championships. Mount Carmel defeated Forest Hills in 2OT for their 1st state championship. The Southern game was a blowout, and the Berwick game wasn't really close either but it was an exciting time for our area.

I remember a lot of individual games like the 2000 CB West vs ECP game or 2003 Manheim Central vs Pine Richland but it's hard for me to remember all the games from a certain year as a whole. Except for 1994 when 3 local teams from my area in Mount Carmel, Southern Columbia and Berwick all won state championships. Mount Carmel defeated Forest Hills in 2OT for their 1st state championship. The Southern game was a blowout, and the Berwick game wasn't really close either but it was an exciting time for our area.

Winning a state championship in overtime, can’t get much better than that

Reactions: LenEshmont
We were robbed of the 2019 6A state championship. For some reason, We played ST. Joes in the semifinal, which went into overtime. They went on to destroy Central Dauphin in the final. Bad move by PIAA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT