ADVERTISEMENT

My takeaway from this weekend...

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
I try to abstain from the private-public debate because it's pretty simple to figure out via PIAA rules and regulations. Complain to the folks in Harrisburg.

After these 6 championship games it's pretty obviously the quality of football is so much better out west in terms of competition. Every year the east is dominated by the same 3-4 teams, unfortunately none of them are in District 1. Out west and especially in the WPIAL, each season there is a plethora of teams who can reach Hershey. They were fantastic this weekend, hats of to our friends out west.

Absolutely relayer. The more things change the more they remain the same. The WPIAL dominates PA FB. Always has.
Since going to 6 classifications, they've won it 15 times (all classes totaled), D12 won 7 times, D5 and D10 won 5 times each with D2 and D3 winning once each.
** Before that they dominated even more so. Since 2008 (PCL in playoffs being a good marker) they won 26 titles, D12 with 15....Wood, SJP, LS, WC, ICS.

Last edited:
I lived out near Pittsburgh for a couple of years. They love their football at every level. There's a reason why they formed the WPIAL. I believe they control their district and they choose their playoff teams and brackets. I can't see that happening in Philly area.

That Lebo team is a good example of old school FB: super tough, disciplined- can’t recall a penalty, not extremely fast but kids that can play with decent speed. Lots of size too like those West teams.

Great coaching too!

Anyone know where some of those kids are playing at the next level?

This is the formula to beat All Star teams with more talent and speed.

Impressive performance.

That Lebo team is a good example of old school FB: super tough, disciplined- can’t recall a penalty, not extremely fast but kids that can play with decent speed. Lots of size too like those West teams.

Great coaching too!

Anyone know where some of those kids are playing at the next level?

This is the formula to beat All Star teams with more talent and speed.

Impressive performance.
I doubt if you can recreate what Lebo did and call it a formula. Everything aligned well for them this yr as far as team dynamics. Helluva way to go out if you are a senior ,but 99% of their production is now gone. It’ll be hard for them to get out of the west with that many departures. Same way it was for the prep but more difficult.

Reactions: Bighead75
Out west in 6A next year (assuming PCC stays up in 6A) will be SV and PCC, followed by NA and whoever else is left.

SV returns a ton on O in terms of skill (overall a very talented rising senior class) but I'm not sure if they have much in the way of truly dynamic playmakers. Their defense is always solid, but they need to find some LB's who can run a little better.

PCC also returns a ton on O and I give them the edge on that side of the ball based on the few games of each I've seen this year. But PCC needs to get their D figured out. It wasn't great.

Interesting that on the offensive side its a battle of former P-R coaches trying to install that offense at new places. At SV, they played mostly Juniors this year at the skill positions. That needs to pay off next year with their first WPIAL or its back to the drawing board for a while. At PCC, they played mostly sophomores at the skill in what looks to me to be the way P-R did things by playing kids early and often.

Great post Relayer. Congrats to Mt Lebo and great season for the Prep! Agreed that Eastern side of state has some catching up to do and needs to raise its game

Great post Relayer. Congrats to Mt Lebo and great season for the Prep! Agreed that Eastern side of state has some catching up to do and needs to raise its game
I thought "eastern" teams (D1/12) did well!

6A SJP got to the final with youth, close til end.
5A ICS got too final, losing in ot
4A Shanahan Td from McD who was same vs Quips.
3A Neumann, nice run, lost to a special Wyo team.
2A Off limits........Southern Columbia territory.
1A..............................................................................

The largest 3 classifications were right there. Don't believe they have too much catching up to do Ches. But I am the optimist.

Maybe we can correct that statement to read, “the eastern public schools have some catching up to do.”

I thought "eastern" teams (D1/12) did well!

6A SJP got to the final with youth, close til end.
5A ICS got too final, losing in ot
4A Shanahan Td from McD who was same vs Quips.
3A Neumann, nice run, lost to a special Wyo team.
2A Off limits........Southern Columbia territory.
1A..............................................................................

The largest 3 classifications were right there. Don't believe they have too much catching up to do Ches. But I am the optimist.
Stalk - I see your point and not disagreeing but looking at the state championships this year only So Columbia lies on the Eastern side of state. Not restart an old argument but Shanahan was the only school from District 1 who came close to getting To the state championship.

Reactions: Stalker
Stalk - I see your point and not disagreeing but looking at the state championships this year only So Columbia lies on the Eastern side of state. Not restart an old argument but Shanahan was the only school from District 1 who came close to getting To the state championship.
5a will be tougher in D12 next yr with the addition of Roman and Wood. Couple that with Imhotep and judge. That’s a nice playoff bracket.

Thought D1 would be more this year. I overestimated them and see the SOL is down across the board. Shouldn't North Penn be dominating D1, them and Coatesville, maybe Ridley again, and not losing a playoff game at home (NPenn) or being destroyed by an option team 54-15 at GVal!? The CL is down with SField-Haver having losing seasons, both staples in the league last 10. And with the SOL and CL both down, how do you measure yourself unless you get out of town.
The whole area is down and with Ricci retired? Even Coatesville was off but young. GVal had some nice players but how is it the entire area acted like they never saw option offense before, except St. Joe's. CL teams see it every year! What's up with that?
One thing for sure, the postseason will expose glitzy records built against weak teams. Anyone can get upset but SJP's schedule in part (coaching, off season regimen, personnel-pride, etc) proved itself this year with a young team hanging in with an outstanding veteran Mount Lebanon team (down 21-17 end of 3rd). Got Lebo's attention, like no other opponent this year.
Tough measuring yourself when you play the same teams every year, same systems, same coaches, etc, etc. Boring and bad for the postseason especially if you accept D1 is down, ie, weak comp.

Not trying to advance anyone's cause, just talking football, seeing SJP's schedule and coaching in my view helped them come crunch time. I realize they have real advantages, but you have to play the right defense stopping Ridley's offense or Gval's option and neither have anything to do with "recruiting".

Thought D1 would be more this year. I overestimated them and see the SOL is down across the board. Shouldn't North Penn be dominating D1, them and Coatesville, maybe Ridley again, and not losing a playoff game at home (NPenn) or being destroyed by an option team 54-15 at GVal!? The CL is down with SField-Haver having losing seasons, both staples in the league last 10. And with the SOL and CL both down, how do you measure yourself unless you get out of town.
The whole area is down and with Ricci retired? Even Coatesville was off but young. GVal had some nice players but how is it the entire area acted like they never saw option offense before, except St. Joe's. CL teams see it every year! What's up with that?
One thing for sure, the postseason will expose glitzy records built against weak teams. Anyone can get upset but SJP's schedule in part (coaching, off season regimen, personnel-pride, etc) proved itself this year with a young team hanging in with an outstanding veteran Mount Lebanon team (down 21-17 end of 3rd). Got Lebo's attention, like no other opponent this year.
Tough measuring yourself when you play the same teams every year, same systems, same coaches, etc, etc. Boring and bad for the postseason especially if you accept D1 is down, ie, weak comp.

Not trying to advance anyone's cause, just talking football, seeing SJP's schedule and coaching in my view helped them come crunch time. I realize they have real advantages, but you have to play the right defense stopping Ridley's offense or Gval's option and neither have anything to do with "recruiting".
District One didn't have a down year, things have been trending down for the last 10 years. I will stick to my opinion that winning isn't important to the AD's and Admin. If winning isn't expected, then the bar is set low, and you're seeing that in District One. There are teams that can score points on any one in the district (N Penn, Dowingtown, Coatesville), but none of those teams can play defense, which hurts them when they go out of district. I also noticed teams (public school) like Southern Columbia and Lebo clearly have great weight lifting programs, and wonder if the weight lifting isn't pushed in District One schools, even though they were the leaders in weight lifting programs during the Pettine years at CB West. District One was at it's best when there was a dominate team, (CB West), and every one else got better trying to compete with them. District One was better when Ridley was as physical as any team in the state. Those days are long gone, and they aren't coming back any time soon.

District One didn't have a down year, things have been trending down for the last 10 years. I will stick to my opinion that winning isn't important to the AD's and Admin. If winning isn't expected, then the bar is set low, and you're seeing that in District One. There are teams that can score points on any one in the district (N Penn, Dowingtown, Coatesville), but none of those teams can play defense, which hurts them when they go out of district. I also noticed teams (public school) like Southern Columbia and Lebo clearly have great weight lifting programs, and wonder if the weight lifting isn't pushed in District One schools, even though they were the leaders in weight lifting programs during the Pettine years at CB West. District One was at it's best when there was a dominate team, (CB West), and every one else got better trying to compete with them. District One was better when Ridley was as physical as any team in the state. Those days are long gone, and they aren't coming back any time soon.
D1:
Talk about weight rooms, Haven didn't have a weight room until 2009 and it's a converted janitors/storage room.

Foot - I’m sorry but you come across as very anti Catholic. Please stop. You’ve made your point about SJP and the other Catholic schools.

Football is not as important as it was in prior decades in a lot of places. Think this falls more on school boards and building admin than it does ADs in most places.
Fewer kids playing football.
Other things for kids to do.
Lacrosse-a sport that Western PA teams do not fight to get athletes out to play.
Lack of teaching jobs in the building to go along with coaching positions (yes, this is a big deal).
Schools splitting. DTown and CB schools diluted the talent pool.

It will be very, very difficult for a 5A or 6A District One team to beat a PCL or Imhotep. Might be once every five years to a decade for a pub to pull it off.

Last edited:
100% agree.

Football is not as important as it was in prior decades in a lot of places. Think this falls more on school boards and building admin than it does ADs in most places.
Fewer kids playing football.
Other things for kids to do.
Lacrosse-a sport that Western PA teams do not fight to get athletes out to play.
Lack of teaching jobs in the building to go along with coaching positions (yes, this is a big deal).
Schools splitting. DTown and CB schools diluted the talent pool.

It will be very, very difficult for a 5A or 6A District One team to beat a PCL or Imhotep. Might be once every five years to a decade for a pub to pull it off.
I hope you aren’t coaching in District 1 because this attitude of not being able to beat some perceived superior team is part of the issue here in SE PA besides in some cases (not all) bad coaching. Not only is this negative mindset being relayed to the players it’s also anti Catholic school sentiment which is not needed.

Being a D3 native, I know 1A Bishop Guilfoyle in neighboring 6 has a significant weight training program and 4 gold, 1 silver since 2014 to show for it since Coach Wheeler's arrival.
About defense, top teams still play it; that defines them. I wouldn't say they can't play defense because they have a bad year or two. Coatesville plays good D since Ortega, this year ending at 21ppg being his worst since year 1.
Back to "good" teams playing good defense, here's the classification winners year ending points against.

6A Lebo, 11.4
5A PTrf, 13.0
4A Aliq, 11.6
3A CVal, 7.8
2A SCA , 13.1
1A BGil, 15.8

Pretty good stuff. None played easy schedules.

Reactions: lilromeo
Was District 1 ever considered a football district? Since 1988 they have only won 10 championships across 4/6 divisions, and 4 of those were by CB Wes, and 2 by Strath Haven. Take those schools out of the equation and its 4 championships in over 30 years. They have not won any since 2004-and that was Lansdale Catholic who isnt even a D1 team anymore.. Pre PCL. Post PCL, flipping brackets East to West, etc has really not helped-they really do not play championship football in District 1.

Reactions: d1football1
District One was a very good football district many years ago. There were years that CB West won, but their toughest games were against other District One teams. I believe District has 7 big school titles, and I believe they've lost 7 times in the finals. Those were the years with good to great coaches, great weight lifting programs, and the desire to win.

Stalk, your D3 bias is showing with your statement on Coatesville playing good defense. The defensive numbers you give are against fairly weak competition. Didn't they just give up 50 in the district final. How about the 60 they gave up is the state title game a few years back. Harrisburg and St Joe's hung a lot of points on them on other playoff games. Lack of defense has cost them one or two state championships. They are one team that could bring championships back to District One, if they can play defense.

Interesting to compare the media coverage of hs sports in western PA (especially in the Post-Gazette) with the media coverage in southeastern PA (especially in the Inquirer). I don't think it makes a huge difference, but it makes some. If the Washington Post can cover hs sports in two states and DC, the Inquirer should be able to do the same. It'll probably never make the paper any money, but it doesn't cost much either. It's also one way to support communities.

Reactions: lilromeo
I hope you aren’t coaching in District 1 because this attitude of not being able to beat some perceived superior team is part of the issue here in SE PA besides in some cases (not all) bad coaching. Not only is this negative mindset being relayed to the players it’s also anti Catholic school sentiment which is not needed.
Chesmont,

When the PCL was invited into the PIAA, there were several articles written about recruiting and would they conform, both football and basketball, to the rules of the PIAA. Well, 10 - 15 years later, we have our answer. They blatantly break the rules, if anything, it's gotten worse. The PIAA doesn't want to enforce the rules because it makes them money.
I've lived in North Penn, excellent coach, train 11 months a year but most years they don't have the players to beat a recruited team that is well coached like The Prep or Wood. Has nothing to do with attitude or laughably, the AD or School Board.

District One was a very good football district many years ago. There were years that CB West won, but their toughest games were against other District One teams. I believe District has 7 big school titles, and I believe they've lost 7 times in the finals. Those were the years with good to great coaches, great weight lifting programs, and the desire to win.

Stalk, your D3 bias is showing with your statement on Coatesville playing good defense. The defensive numbers you give are against fairly weak competition. Didn't they just give up 50 in the district final. How about the 60 they gave up is the state title game a few years back. Harrisburg and St Joe's hung a lot of points on them on other playoff games. Lack of defense has cost them one or two state championships. They are one team that could bring championships back to District One, if they can play defense.
D1 Transplant, I had to do a re-read when you said….”Stalk, your D3 bias is showing with your statement on Coatesville playing good defense. The defensive numbers you give are against fairly weak competition”.

Here’s the “fairly weak competition” of best played last 5 years with their won-loss and combined won-loss each year in parenthesis. Crossed out a few that are questionable. If you consider this weak competition, then we live in different universes. But, I will admit a bias to Coach Ortega and his D3 roots feeling he is one of the best things to happen to District-1 in years.

2021 (80-22)
CB West 9-3
Perk Val 9-3 x 2
York 7-3
Shanahan 11-4
DEast 9-3
Ridley 12-2
GVal 14-1
2020 Covid (7-1)
Pennridge 7-1
2019 (64-15)
Harrisburg 9-4
Cumberland Valley 5-6
Uville 6-5

Souderton 8-3
CB West 10-2
GVal 11-2
DWest 13-2 x 2
2018 (69-12)
Harrisburg 13-2 x 2
Cumberland Valley 3-7
DEast 9-3 x 2
CB East 6-5
GVal 12-1
North Penn 13-1
2017 (72-17)
Cumberland Valley 10-3
Rustin 7-5
DEast 10-2 x 2
Shanahan 7-4
Truman 7-4
Pennsbury 10-3
GVal 12-2
St. Joe’s 13-1

Chesmont,

When the PCL was invited into the PIAA, there were several articles written about recruiting and would they conform, both football and basketball, to the rules of the PIAA. Well, 10 - 15 years later, we have our answer. They blatantly break the rules, if anything, it's gotten worse. The PIAA doesn't want to enforce the rules because it makes them money.
I've lived in North Penn, excellent coach, train 11 months a year but most years they don't have the players to beat a recruited team that is well coached like The Prep or Wood. Has nothing to do with attitude or laughably, the AD or School Board.
Ha - another complainer … PCL was heavily pursued by PIAA as a result of …. Wait for it … 2003 year where NP would roll the PCL as a result of SJP and NP being mutually undefeated …. There was nothing about conforming as PCL would not change, they couldn’t change in order to survive and PIAA was fine with that. If I’m not mistaken, NP lost in districts this year to a 5A school. NP is the size of a number of colleges. The fact that they are not dominant annually is a matter of processes and application. And also, facilities that are enviable out the door.

Just have the PCL follow the same guidelines as every other school and there would be no excuses. PCL should only be able to draw from Philly - not the suburbs or NJ. Don’t make it a religious thing because it’s not! It’s a lopsided SJP ability to load up a team while 95% of other schools are stuck to their respective school district! The mindset among many isn’t negative, it’s realistic. People like you who ride the SJP trolley get to call others whiners. You’d be real quiet otherwise.

What changed the game in District 1 is when CB West split. Now with CB West, CB East, and CB South, there was no longer the same load of athletes. North Penn has no excuse!

would it benefit Downingtown or other school to merge for sports only? Ditto the Cent Bucks schools. Central Dauphin and CD East have not done this tho it is mentioned from time to time. Probably not with FB interest waning.

You do not hear Administrators from District one complaining and why not. Schools just play other district one schools, 16 teams make the playoffs and the winner gets a gift to play in the state semifinals. Administrators do not have to go out and find a quality coach & hear complaints from parents. unlike the rest of the state who
competes with private schools District one schools have become feeder programs for private schools. District one teams could not beat Aliquippa this year, they should be given participation trophies. The prep is Woods & Lasalle's problem. The blame is with administrators.

Reactions: Stalker
Just have the PCL follow the same guidelines as every other school and there would be no excuses. PCL should only be able to draw from Philly - not the suburbs or NJ. Don’t make it a religious thing because it’s not! It’s a lopsided SJP ability to load up a team while 95% of other schools are stuck to their respective school district! The mindset among many isn’t negative, it’s realistic. People like you who ride the SJP trolley get to call others whiners. You’d be real quiet otherwise.
You have little or no understanding of the PCL. Many PCL schools (Bonner, O'Hara, Carroll, Wood, LaSalle, etc.) are not in Philly but in the PA suburbs, so saying they should be able to draw only from Philly is ridiculous. All of the suburban schools MUST draw from the territories of several school districts to stay open. And that has always been the case.

Decades ago most of the city-based schools (North Catholic, St. Thomas More, Judge, etc.) could have full enrollment from graduates of neighbourhood Catholic schools. Those days are long gone, as are some of the high schools. The remaining schools have to draw from larger geographic areas, in some cases from outside the city limits, to stay alive.

The Prep, for reasons I could go into but which most on this board are well aware of, has always drawn students from a much wider territory. In my class just over 50 years ago we had students from Reading and Trenton who took the train to Philly every day. What PIAA guidelines does any of this violate? Is there a rule that prohibits a school from having players who live in another states? ... I didn't think so. So instead of bashing the Prep, why not direct all of your irritation toward the PIAA and ask them to change the terms under which it invited and then welcomed the PCL into the PIAA?

Last edited:
Ha - another complainer … PCL was heavily pursued by PIAA as a result of …. Wait for it … 2003 year where NP would roll the PCL as a result of SJP and NP being mutually undefeated …. There was nothing about conforming as PCL would not change, they couldn’t change in order to survive and PIAA was fine with that. If I’m not mistaken, NP lost in districts this year to a 5A school. NP is the size of a number of colleges. The fact that they are not dominant annually is a matter of processes and application. And also, facilities that are enviable out the door.
Rox,

You obviously don't know much about North Penn except for numbers.
North Penn has a very diverse student body, moreso than any other district that I know of. Many groups typically do not participate in sports at all so the numbers don't tell the whole story. Also, North Penn HS was built in the 60's and the facilities reflect that.
Back when the PCL came in, the PIAA approached the Inter-ac league (GA, Episcopal, Haverford School, etc.). The Inter-ac said no, they didn't want to abide by the rules so it's not like the PCL was special. Also, the PCL wanted in because winning a CL doesn't have the cache of winning a state title.

Chesmont,

JHoops - I can’t confirm or deny if the PCL is breaking the rules. If the PCL is breaking the rules I’m sure it’s just Catholic or Private not mention you obviously you have you correct/unbiased view. Stop the horse shit. I really don’t have much interest or care if the Prep wins or loses but what makes me sick to my stomach is the losing team/league coming on here and bashing the shit out of them. Prove it to the PIAA of the rules breaking or stop your whining.

See Tulla’s response. I can see you have deep knowledge and unbiased view of the Catholic school system. What’s unrealistic is what you said in the first sentence and have to say I never saw your screen name pop up until recent. I’ve been on this board 15-20 years and Relayer can confirm. Stop your bashing and whining. Your recommendations will never happen.

Chesmont,

North Penn DOES recruit. They just aren't very good at it.

Rox,

You obviously don't know much about North Penn except for numbers.
North Penn has a very diverse student body, moreso than any other district that I know of. Many groups typically do not participate in sports at all so the numbers don't tell the whole story. Also, North Penn HS was built in the 60's and the facilities reflect that.
Back when the PCL came in, the PIAA approached the Inter-ac league (GA, Episcopal, Haverford School, etc.). The Inter-ac said no, they didn't want to abide by the rules so it's not like the PCL was special. Also, the PCL wanted in because winning a CL doesn't have the cache of winning a state title.
Jhoops18, back in the day if you won the Philadelphia City title (between privates and pubs) that was enough cache. The State title didn't exist. Mythical state title was how they called it. Berwick, CB West all mythical. The city championship stopped around 1980. Didn't play another one until the PIAA came calling. Now that game is part of the playoff brackets. That is a good thing that came out of this merger with the PIAA.

For a variety of statistical, socioeconomic, and real world reasons, D1 will be a great district for competition within it. But will not be a serious contender for a state again in football. The goal should be to win D1, and see what happens after that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT