ADVERTISEMENT

My takeaway from the 2022 state championships

It's for everyone to achieve so long as it's a fair playing field and it is not. What life lessons are we teaching our kids that work thier ass off in the off season only to get slaughtered by a super all star team. I guess mater dei, st John's, and st Francis are all model problems too.
Well,heres a life lesson . Life isnt fair

basic weights and benches are good enough, the modern machines aren't ideal for strength training they just look fancy and maybe at best prevent injury

who cares they don't own a field? you have size, speed, and talent what difference does it make where you practice or play on?
Most those other schools I mentioned don't have state of the art facilities either.

Youre right roman in basketball as well. There are years the Piaa will knock off an all star team. 21 mt Lebo and 17 Pine but those are once in a life time teams for those schools. They don't have the luxury to put together those teams every year like prep. Regular schools the players are homegrown rather hand picked.
Are you telling me ECP doesnt recruit ?? How about Juice Scruggs from Ohio going to ECP and there are probably others . Just stop !!

Reactions: Bighead75
Are you telling me ECP doesnt recruit ?? How about Juice Scruggs from Ohio going to ECP and there are probably others . Just stop !!
Hate to tell you ecp hasn't made a title game in 5 years. Juice Scruggs is from Conneaut oh which is right on the Pennsylvania boarder and not far from ECP. He had less then a half hour drive to school and he played 5 years ago. I don't have a problem with mckdevitt, Allentown central Catholic, Bethlehem Catholic, Pittsburgh central Catholic, ect... or private schools. All these schools have down years and rebuilding years. They arent putting together these super all star teams like prep is. Prep is the new jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, ect... All star team. They never have down years or ever have to rebuild. They pull these big recruits from a wide range every year. No other Catholic school in the state is able to bring the talent that prep is. Prep has more state title appearance then all those schools and they just started in 08. That's saying something. I know I don't want to see this national all star team participating in the Piaa playoffs. Never was an issue unitil they allowed the pcl in.

Last edited:
Prep has no problem pulling the talent those schools do. Thier out of state competition is other top ranked football teams in the country. Schools they should be playing St Tomas Aquinas, st Peter's, don bosko, img, st John's, ect... Schools that are national programs like themselves. They are sure able to fund thier team to travel the country and play on espn. They are a super all star team like the other schools mentioned.
They are able to travel for one game a year. And as stated before, do you see any of the schools you mention coming east or north? Why?

Google earth the location, 1733 west Girard ave, since I’m sure you’ve never been there but seem to know all about it. PCL is best league in the state, deal with it. Roman and LaSalle would likely win chip if not for SJP.

Thier out of state competition is other top ranked football teams in the country. Schools they should be playing St Tomas Aquinas, st Peter's, don bosko, img, st John's, ect... Schools that are national programs like thierselves. They are sure able to fund thier team to travel the country and play on espn. They are a super all star team like the other schools mentioned.
basic weights and benches are good enough, the modern machines aren't ideal for strength training they just look fancy and maybe at best prevent injury

who cares they don't own a field? you have size, speed, and talent what difference does it make where you practice or play on?
There’s school far and near that offer much more than st joes. Whether we believe it or not they have competitors when it comes to getting talent. Everyone in the PCL don’t have borders. Those same kids could go anywhere and play. Why pick the school with lower quality facilities , old equipment , and glitz as some of the other schools? We’re 2 miles from them maybe closer. You think I wouldn’t want some of those kids? There’s no barriers between choosing Roman or prep. It’s simply your choice. We both have entrance exams and no boundaries to where students can come from. We have PCL teams in every classification with the same rules. We shoulda dominated the state finals but we didn’t.

Hate to tell you ecp hasn't made a title game in 5 years. Juice Scruggs is from Conneaut oh which is right on the Pennsylvania boarder and not far from ECP. He had less then a half hour drive to school and he played 5 years ago. I don't have a problem with mckdevitt, Allentown central Catholic, Bethlehem Catholic, Pittsburgh central Catholic, ect... or private schools. All these schools have down years and rebuilding years. They arent putting together these super all star teams like prep is. Prep is the new jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, ect... All star team. They never have down years or ever have to rebuild. They pull these big recruits from a wide range every year. No other Catholic school in the state is able to bring the talent that prep is. Prep has more state title appearance then all those schools and they just started in 08. That's saying something. I know I don't want to see this national all star team participating in the Piaa playoffs.
You can’t say it’s ok for ECP to have an out of state player and knock sjp for the exact same thing. Jersey is on the border of Philly. They don’t have anyone from any other state than jersey.

Hate to tell you ecp hasn't made a title game in 5 years. Juice Scruggs is from Conneaut oh which is right on the Pennsylvania boarder and not far from ECP. He had less then a half hour drive to school and he played 5 years ago. I don't have a problem with mckdevitt, Allentown central Catholic, Bethlehem Catholic, Pittsburgh central Catholic, ect... or private schools. All these schools have down years and rebuilding years. They arent putting together these super all star teams like prep is. Prep is the new jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, ect... All star team. They never have down years or ever have to rebuild. They pull these big recruits from a wide range every year. No other Catholic school in the state is able to bring the talent that prep is. Prep has more state title appearance then all those schools and they just started in 08. That's saying something. I know I don't want to see this national all star team participating in the Piaa playoffs.
LOL - yea, they house players from 8 different states too… Prep has always had students and players from NJ for over 70 years …. All the schools in state you mention could and do work as Prep does, the difference is population density … frankly, those schools could do a better job at producing better competition. Why not take a page from SJP playbook and play better competition to start the year? For now, PIAA is what it is.

ECP got forced up in the success formula because of it. They haven't been to a title game in 5 years. They are no where near the talent of prep. They have down years and have to rebuild thier team unlike prep. You can't force prep up and they are a national program unlike ECP. Can't even compare the 2.

ECP got forced up in the success formula because of it. They haven't been to a title game in 5 years. They are no where near the talent of prep. They have down years and have to rebuild thier team unlike prep. You can't force prep up and they are a national program unlike ECP. Can't even compare the 2.
ECP played P-R in 2020 finals or is that not what you meant?

ECP played P-R in 2020 finals or is that not what you meant?
They wouldn't of made it. Covid year the made it to states with only playing one game and got destroyed. Can't count 2020 horrible example. Had not it been a covid year no way in hell that they are playing in Hershey. That wasn't a good team and bad example.

Wait, so even though they played in the finals and got destroyed, that doesn’t count as playing in the finals?

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Guys, it’s just high school football at the end of the day. There is no need to call someone lonely on this forum. It’s obvious private schools and especially SJP has the advantage over public schools. The question now is how a private bracket would work, well here’s my proposal:

Pittsburgh Central Catholic and Erie Catherdral Prep on the west side.

The PCL on the East side.

There is a solid 10 teams in this scenario which can fill a regular season and playoffs

Wait, so even though they played in the finals and got destroyed, that doesn’t count as playing in the finals?
They played a playoff game because of covid. They had forfeits to the finals otherwise they never make it to the Hershey so no it doesn't count.

Last edited:
Guys, it’s just high school football at the end of the day. There is no need to call someone lonely on this forum. It’s obvious private schools and especially SJP has the advantage over public schools. The question now is how a private bracket would work, well here’s my proposal:

Pittsburgh Central Catholic and Erie Catherdral Prep on the west side.

The PCL on the East side.

There is a solid 10 teams in this scenario which can fill a regular season and playoffs
Let them troll all they want.

Prep has no problem pulling the talent those schools do. Thier out of state competition is other top ranked football teams in the country. Schools they should be playing St Tomas Aquinas, st Peter's, don bosko, img, st John's, ect... Schools that are national programs like themselves. They are sure able to fund thier team to travel the country and play on espn. They are a super all star team like the other schools mentioned.
How do you know they are "sure able to fund their team to travel the country and play on ESPN"? I'm an alumnus and am next to certain they don't have anything like the funds needed to fly to several games a year. Also, it's not what the school is all about. To play a "national schedule" you have to make arrangements (especially academic arrangements) that would not be compatible with what the school is all about. They play one game a year that requires them to fly to the location, and so far it's always been a game played before classes start. You mention St. Peter's. They've played them several times. They've played the Jersey Bosco team several times. They've played IMG once and will play them again next year. They've also played St. Frances and St. John's (DC). This year Buford (GA) was to come to Philly but backed out. So it's not that they shy away from competing against schools with very strong programs.

The Prep has been part of a league (the PCL) for 100 years--or more. There have been some very good teams in that league in the last 15 years: LaSalle and Wood especially, but Judge and Roman have also had some good teams. Do you think the school should abandon the league? Also, many of the schools you mention (St. John's, Mater Dei, St. Thomas Aquinas, Bosco, etc.) are also part of leagues. That means they have league game commitments most of the season.

You ask what the difference is between SJP and the schools you name. I can't say I know a lot about all of those schools--do you?--but I'm pretty sure that the Prep is more academically demanding than at least some of them. A look at the schools' websites suggests there are other differences as well. Start with facilities.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
They didn't have to play a playoff game because of covid. They had forfeits to the finals otherwise they never make it to the Hershey so no it doesn't count.

Does that game against Holidaysburg in the PIAA first round not count?

I'm trying to figure out what is fact or fiction in your posts on the subject. Doesn't St. Thomas Aquinas play both Florida private and public schools during the regular season in their classification and for a FL state title? I looked and saw the only out of state team they've played this year was Prep game 1. You stated STA is a "national" program, but their schedule doesn't seem to reflect that. Or are you deemed "national" if you play on ESPN? How does it work?

Also, what is a super all star team?

How do you know they are "sure able to fund their team to travel the country and play on ESPN"? I'm an alumnus and am next to certain they don't have anything like the funds needed to fly to several games a year. Also, it's not what the school is all about. To play a "national schedule" you have to make arrangements (especially academic arrangements) that would not be compatible with what the school is all about. They play one game a year that requires them to fly to the location, and so far it's always been a game played before classes start. You mention St. Peter's. They've played them several times. They've played the Jersey Bosco team several times. They've played IMG once and will play them again next year. They've also played St. Frances and St. John's (DC). This year Buford (GA) was to come to Philly but backed out. So it's not that they shy away from competing against schools with very strong programs.

The Prep has been part of a league (the PCL) for 100 years--or more. There have been some very good teams in that league in the last 15 years: LaSalle and Wood especially, but Judge and Roman have also had some good teams. Do you think the school should abandon the league? Also, many of the schools you mention (St. John's, Mater Dei, St. Thomas Aquinas, Bosco, etc.) are also part of leagues. That means they have league game commitments most of the season.

You ask what the difference is between SJP and the schools you name. I can't say I know a lot about all of those schools--do you?--but I'm pretty sure that the Prep is more academically demanding than at least some of them. A look at the schools' websites suggests there are other differences as well. Start with facilities.
Tulla we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I think st Joe's should stay in the pcl and continue to play out of state competition. I don't like them competing in the playoffs. I'm speaking for myself and their are a lot of super programs out east. Like I've said prep in football and Imhotep, Roman, and Neumann in basketball. It's not good for the kids to have these teams blow them out every year or for the fans. Who wants to see these teams that are put together to win year in and year out. I'm getting a lot of backlash on hear from the pcl guys but who wants to see these super all star teams play regular high school programs.

Last edited:

Ok maybe its "kinda unfair" that SJP has so much talent?
Maybe it's "unfair" for some schools to have "better coaching?"
Maybe it's "unfair" that some huge 6A schools have like $200-300 million dollar budgets, and first-class facilities?

SJP pushed the PR football "program" to be "better."
right now maxpreps has them at 19 ranked nationally- without them, PIAA has zero "top 20 teams."

Bring it on
iron sharpens iron
2 cents worth from a pine-richland guy

Ok maybe its "kinda unfair" that SJP has so much talent?
Maybe it's "unfair" for some schools to have "better coaching?"
Maybe it's "unfair" that some huge 6A schools have like $200-300 million dollar budgets, and first-class facilities?

SJP pushed the PR football "program" to be "better."
right now maxpreps has them at 19 ranked nationally- without them, PIAA has zero "top 20 teams."

Bring it on
iron sharpens iron
2 cents worth from a pine-richland guy
If Pine Richland thinks st Joe's sharpens them and helped them why did they move down to 5A and not opt to play up to 6A.

Does that game against Holidaysburg in the PIAA first round not count?
Just curious who'd they play in the quarter finals and the semifinals that year? Keep trolling. Can't count 2020 with forfeits to the finals. If not for forfeits ecp never makes it.

If Pine Richland thinks st Joe's sharpens them and helped them why did they move down to 5A and not opt to play up to 6A.
If Prep leaves the PIAA will that have the effect of making other PA public teams better? Maybe they would loose some all star kids who want to compete for state titles? I guess you have to decide what you want PA high school football to look like. As the 5th largest state population wise, do we want our best public only (no private) teams good enough to play on ESPN with the likes of the best publics from FL, GA, TX, and CA? Develop more kids onto FBS rosters and get more exposure? Or do we want to keep it in house and manage it so we can avoid blowouts and keep people happy? Then, of course, is how do you get where you want to be?

I think you need to take a step back. Many of us have been on here years before you came around. I'm not known to troll and in this case you are factually wrong. If you want to continue debating SJP stuff, fine, but its not going anywhere. SJP is great. They have great players and coaches. Some teams beat them after figuring out working hard + good players + good coaches.

If you want to speculate that ECP wouldn't have made the finals, fine. I not worth debating it with you anymore because its so stupid.

And don't call me a d bag.

I think you need to take a step back. Many of us have been on here years before you came around. I'm not known to troll and in this case you are factually wrong. If you want to continue debating SJP stuff, fine, but its not going anywhere. SJP is great. They have great players and coaches. Some teams beat them after figuring out working hard + good players + good coaches.

If you want to speculate that ECP wouldn't have made the finals, fine. I not worth debating it with you anymore because its so stupid.

And don't call me a d bag.
Don't act like you own this site and you are acting like a D bag. You don't have to comment on my post. You came trolling on me. Now beat it.

I forgot about Trey Drake from Jamestown NY.Because St Joe does it better you want to eliminate them .
You come off as a big whinner as do the others mentioned. Go Away ,we know what you think and dont care. You dont listen to anything that was explained .

I forgot about Trey Drake from Jamestown NY.Because St Joe does it better you want to eliminate them .

You come off as a big whinner as do the others mentioned. Go Away ,we know what you think and dont care. You dont listen to anything that was explained .
F u you don't own this site loser. Just because I don't agree with you. The only whinner is you. Im not going anywhere and trey drake never came to prep. You and New continue to give each other hand jobs under the bleacher at Pine Richland games.

Last edited:
I think we will see the piaa separate once again from the pcl. The pcl is able to form these division 1 high school teams. Get back to me after the basketball playoffs and let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm trying to figure out what is fact or fiction in your posts on the subject. Doesn't St. Thomas Aquinas play both Florida private and public schools during the regular season in their classification and for a FL state title? I looked and saw the only out of state team they've played this year was Prep game 1. You stated STA is a "national" program, but their schedule doesn't seem to reflect that. Or are you deemed "national" if you play on ESPN? How does it work?

Also, what is a super all star team?
By national team I mean they get kids from all over therefore all these schools are in the top 25 year in and year out because of it. Get back to me after the basketball playoffs and let me know how the pcl does. They need to seperate the pcl from piaa which I think will happen. Nobody wants these see these mini D1 teams beat up on everyone. I think we will see it happen soon. Prep(football), Neumann, and Roman(basketball) will keep on rolling and blowing teams out. Even though Imhotep isn't pcl them too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT