ADVERTISEMENT

GA @ NG Cancelled

CYOBall1 has it right on the points as to where the real problems with any of these type situations lie. Could go on for days on the complete failure of archdiocese to manage and maintain the system. Won't bore everyone with the details. It's a debacle across the board.

There is zero high ground for GA here to cancel this game. Dead wrong. Should never happen. However let's not pretend karma at work here. NG had to cancel back end of schedule last year. That was unfortunate circumstance. However the league had to tell them that in no uncertain terms they were not going to cancel the league schedule out and then play on Thanksgiving. So NG a mere 9 months ago tried a fast one of their own.

This isn't Albie or NG's fault. In fact I think Albie has done a ton of great things for kids for years and years at multiple places. He's playing in the landscape of this league. It's also not a race or denomination issue in my opinion. The league and the archdiocese has completely failed to police itself in any fashion whatsoever for years and has fallen back on the incredibly weak position of "this is what the schools need to do to survive".

The archdiocese downtown has done a horrendous job of handling athletic programs right on down to the youth level. There are no rules or standards. From youth on up these are showcase programs that are very loosely affiliated with Catholic education and the schools they represent. The adults are about winning. The parents are about exposure. The fact that there are no boundaries have allowed the schools to be gamed to aggregate talent in an AAU format across multiple sports.

Then you get public schools like North Penn who bring in outside talent or have kids move into the district so that they can compete at the very end with the AAU team. The whole system in pursuit of some great glory in middle of December in Hershey that at the end of the day is so inconsequential to the real mission of high school sports. I'm no pollyanna but is this is really what youth sports has become. Seems absolutely insane to me.

Gang$$.. I think you hit the nail on the head... all of this started a few years ago in other sports AAU baseball, hoops, travel soccer, softball etc.. kids skipping school sports because a "club" or "travel" coached promised them the world.. heck if your daughter wants to try out for club VB.. it's $50-$75 per team tryout.. how to they have the #alls to do that.. they have all gone the money ball route..now you have kids "joining" the same 7 * 7 teams getting recruited bu HS and colleges.. how do you have a contact sport recruit players from a non-contact venue.. last year there was 6 all-state 6A QBs and one Oline.. how does that happen? It's all about exposure ... the sad thing is most of these kids will never see a down in college and their parents are being sold a bill of goods..

I don't agree with GA backing out of a game.. but if more teams start to do so.. it might force the powers that be to fix the system...or maybe it won't who knows..

No one wants to hear this at all! Not here you definitely must be a racist.

Let's start with Del Val Charter...they followed Coach "So &So". So it's fair to say they followed him for athletic purposes.

Why not Boy's Latin, KIPP, even Imhotep...oh that's right we followed coach for football.

Dudes playing in three high schools over a four year span. Without moving...that's a problem.

No gradual hey we are going to get this going in the right direction. Let's get every kid we can from anywhere, including Delaware because the PIAA is not going to say a darn thing.

Chemont your comments couldn't be further from the truth. I disagree with how a program goes from folding to having an entire stock of student-athletes to choose from and you make me out to be a racist.

You Shanahan BS is out played. Your sample size of them beating Downingtown in anything academic or athletic is a very small sample size. I attempted to concede, but you continue to ramble. Shanahan is a very good option for Catholic education in Chester County.

Cheers,

Busch
My comments are right on about your bigoted tone Bush. As far as Shanahan being a top educational institution in Chester County. You are correct but then again you throw in the bigoted comment of catholic. You sound like Dianne Feinstein who is also disgraceful Catholic comments.

Reactions: green_beans
I think like most dynasties or large conglomerates, the PCL is likely to implode from within. Someone within the league is either going to blow the whistle on someone or some program and that will lead to a domino affect throughout the league.

For example, you take a program like Bonner-that is struggling with numbers and putting a decent product on the field. They have to be looking at a program like NG either with envy or contempt. A school less than 10 miles away that had to cancel their season has quadrupled their numbers in less than a year and now may contend for a district or state title.

If its envy, are they going to try and copy the blue print of NG and start poaching kids from other rosters or hiring coaches from other schools or maybe give tuition breaks to kids in order to quick fix the program? Even if it all appears legit on its face, the higher ups at the PIAA and/or PCL have to be squirming. Its kind of like Kentucky basketball and all the one and dones. Is it against the rules-no. But im sure the NCAA and NBA are trying to figure out a way to stop it.

If its contempt, then only one mistake or misstep from a rival school will likely result in them being exposed. And once one piece of dirty laundry gets aired, how soon before it all comes out?

I'm kind of interested in GA's motivation to scrap this game. I hope it wasn't just from a we can't compete perspective. If so, they really sold their kids short in this decision, IMO. Sure, NG probably has an overall team speed/skill advantage, but GA is a well-coached team, their kids play hard and the right way, they are solid on the LOS, pretty strong defensively, and usually don't hurt themselves. That should be enough to hang around and not look like you completely don't belong on the same field.

Maybe, the decision was more about philosophical differences in how this particular NG team was built in such a short amount of time. I can't speak for GA, just thinking out loud.

My comments are right on about your bigoted tone Bush. As far as Shanahan being a top educational institution in Chester County. You are correct but then again you throw in the bigoted comment of catholic. You sound like Dianne Feinstein who is also disgraceful Catholic comments.

That is exactly what's Bishop Shanahan is, a CATHOLIC co-educational secondary school of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Good Lord you are really reaching.

ForWhoForWhat: Literally this does not happen over night like it has with NG. Purely 100% athletic related. Is that fair to say? Or is that racist as well?

Cheers,

Busch

That is exactly what's Bishop Shanahan is, a CATHOLIC co-educational secondary school of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Good Lord you are really reaching.

ForWhoForWhat: Literally this does not happen over night like it has with NG. Purely 100% athletic related. Is that fair to say? Or is that racist as well?

Cheers,

Busch

Wow, you just don't quit! So even if it did happen over night, are you still insinuating black families are unable to afford to go to Goretti? Remember, I am only addressing your "common sense" statement as it pertains to tuition. In all actuality, it did happen over night because I read that Del Val Charter closed on June 20th. Several students went to Northeast (no gripe there), several students went to Gratz (I guess you will drink to that), and several students went to Goretti (O my gosh, how can they afford it?)!!!

Did you read Burrs post? He gave you the stats of the game. Play by play but all you are focused on is the rumor of the all star team without even knowing the circumstances of it. HOW CAN FRESHMEN BE ALL STARS!!?

How about showing that same compassion, concern, outrage and anger towards the fact that a high school closed in our city at the last minute forcing students to relocate. NO! Your common sense mentality wants to keep the "locals" local by believing it's normal and alright for them to attend another charter or public school because that's where they came from.. To think, you have no idea you're thinking this way that's why I don't blame you, I blame your upbringing.

Here you are saying this was a sports transfer but the families are all paying tuition (to the best of my knowledge), getting a better education and more stability. No one is saying anything about sports but you so you are basically adding Wood to your fire. You're miserable.

Cheers

I'm shocked that GA would decide to cancel this game. I read this on Ted Silary this morning and I can't believe that the defending Inter-Ac Co-Champ would shy away from a game because NG has gotten some athletes. If you look at the Inter-Ac the past few years, Malvern and Haverford School have dominated league play. Malvern constantly plays the likes of Prep, LaSalle, St. Augustine's, Imhotep last year and some other top notch programs. Haverford School played an HD Woodson team that was loaded with D1 skill players in Week 1. They've also recently played West Catholic, Downingtown East, McDonogh, and they're hosting Imhotep this year. There's no secret why these two teams have had sustained success in the Inter-Ac and beyond. The scary part is that the Fords and Friars have competed in most of these games with a few exceptions. It's sad to see GA hide from a tough game when Haverford School, with a similar situation and make up continues to grind it out with tough teams. I doubt you'll see Malvern drop LaSalle off the schedule because of a tough loss this past week or see the Fords drop Imhotep in a few weeks..Glad to see some Inter-Ac teams aren't afraid to battle with the top programs in the city...

For Who, if you didn't bring race into it, I would have no clue that the majority of NG's roster is African-American. And I'm still not sure if that is even the case? Quite frankly, I thought NG's student population was predominantly Caucasian.

Cheers,

Busch
Explain exactly what you mean by
I think like most dynasties or large conglomerates, the PCL is likely to implode from within. Someone within the league is either going to blow the whistle on someone or some program and that will lead to a domino affect throughout the league.

For example, you take a program like Bonner-that is struggling with numbers and putting a decent product on the field. They have to be looking at a program like NG either with envy or contempt. A school less than 10 miles away that had to cancel their season has quadrupled their numbers in less than a year and now may contend for a district or state title.

If its envy, are they going to try and copy the blue print of NG and start poaching kids from other rosters or hiring coaches from other schools or maybe give tuition breaks to kids in order to quick fix the program? Even if it all appears legit on its face, the higher ups at the PIAA and/or PCL have to be squirming. Its kind of like Kentucky basketball and all the one and dones. Is it against the rules-no. But im sure the NCAA and NBA are trying to figure out a way to stop it.

If its contempt, then only one mistake or misstep from a rival school will likely result in them being exposed. And once one piece of dirty laundry gets aired, how soon before it all comes out?

Cheers,

Busch
Bush - My feelings of the Archdiocese school system is positive as kids will receive a faith based excellentl education being more handled by parents and businesses who will not only provide an excellent education but most importantly produces a very well rounded person who not only serves God but all other humans. Unfortunately our public schools does not provide and teach the same. Explain on your archdiocesan thoughts?

Chesmont-

You are an a&@... The worst sin of the 7 deadly sins is hubris. " It is irrationally believing that one is essentially and necessarily better, superior, or more important than others and excessive admiration of the personal image or self. ". Who made u the God of education? Seriously. I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I don't know what public school, you are referring to, but there are some great Public Schools. Public schools that are EVERY bit as good as your beloved Shanahan. And yes, some very poor public schools. I am not going to debate you on this, as you can't debate someone that has hubris.

I am Catholic. Go to Church, volunteer and pray everyday. I will pray for you.. And send my kids to a Public HS....

Id be curious to know the GA timeline on this. Remembner, the NG/Int game was a rare Saturday night game. And the game was competitve until the end of the 3rd Q. And Im guesssing GA had parts of the staff there scouting NG. So was it during NG's comeback that they decided not to play? Was it at the end of the game? Did they wake up Sunday morning or Monday morning and decide? Do we even know it was the coaches who pulled the plug on the game and not the administration?

So many questions, but does anyone think the game gets canceleed if Interboro wins or the the final score is 35-30 NG?

For Who, if you didn't bring race into it, I would have no clue that the majority of NG's roster is African-American. And I'm still not sure if that is even the case? Quite frankly, I thought NG's student population was predominantly Caucasian.
Catch up brother and go back and read Busch post concerning the transfers from Del Val which is a predominantly black program (which in itself is disturbing).

Not sure why you had to mention the race on this board - as no one ever does.. all we talk about is W/Ls, team gossip and coaching (the good and the bad) regardless if a martian is the coach (forgive me if I have offend martian coach).. I guess you have never seen the bashing that Prep gets... as an Italian american I think it;s because the HC is Italian.. or that Wood gets...

if you are going to say people are jealous because of the color of his skin..you have a different ax to grind and it's not football related
Pssst - hey green beans, I'll whisper this so as to not embarrass you. Coach Infante is Hispanic. Cubano, to be exact.

This decision will play itself out over the year. I don’t agree with the timing. And NG has a game now, good job Northeast. But some big picture items are being missed one could say. And it is not the Delval kids or anything like that.

NG has changed the competitive landscape and it is for the better of the kids on their team. Personally I like Albie a lot. But let’s realize GA is not part of the PIAA, they do their own thing and don't bother anybody. Sure they recruit and on their website they say 28% of the students get financial aid. So that occurs. And it is transparent. And as a non member of the PIAA it’s their business, as is with every interac team. That puts them and the other members above the snarky comments about recruiting etc. That is fact.

Problem I can see is GA has about 80 boys a class, and about 42-45 on team. Most 6A and 5A frosh teams have more kids. Team is competitive (beat Judge Saturday), but what is lost is that they do get to choose their non conference foes. And in turn set themselves up in a health and competitive position to try to compete for the league. We should know as football people, the schedule is set up for the league, as the league is most important. Not Rick Obrien’s top 25, or beating your buddies from weight ball. LaSalle’s HUGE win over Malvern (a school half its size, way to finally get one) doesn’t mean a thing if Prep kicks their butts this year. So that set up is important and has to be respected.

GA hasn’t been afraid to play anyone...Gratz killed them game one. Gratz is a 5A team, and is pretty darn good. GA is a 2A class. But due to the nature of the interac that is an appropriate match. Unlike some teams in District 12 inter ac teams traditionally play up multiple classes including in their own league. The tradition is more important than the numbers. They got a rematch with Judge who killed them last year and got lucky and beat them. Again, butt kicked by Gratz game 1, tough game vs Judge game 2 both schools being big and physical for a team with 40+ kids to face, and that 40+ includes freshmen. And prior to the interac season this year will face a very good West Catholic team and may face same fate as they did vs Gratz.. So playing schools and being beat is not an issue. GA has a long history of getting their a$$es kicked in football, but have always tried to schedule appropriate teams, check their history. So I am not sure running was the decision that was made.

What is an issue is commonality, and the freedom to choose your non league schedule. For those in the PCL, this is what freedom smells like For me, the bigger issue is where is the PCL in all of this. The PCL divided into 2 leagues for two specific reasons. Ability and player safety. The PCL smaller division has commonality of school sizes, and a shared competitive balance, which all translates into player safety. Let's look at this way, how good does LC and Bonner feel getting sent into games vs NG now? Both teams, similar to GA, know how to take a butt kicking. But where is the league advocating for these young men? It’s not popular but a legit question. And it’s the same reason why North Penn does not traditionally play Tennent. (insert the wood, lasalle, and prep guys calling me soft here....brainwashed)

Let's use the suburban one league and PAC 10...constantly shifting and addressing competitive balance while also looking at geography and logistics.

Actually governing and monitoring a league can be done, the PCL can take note here.

But it doesn't look good. GA looks like a team evading a really good team. The community at large on this board will judge them and call them soft and worse, because that's easy to say to people you don't know. People will say this teaches their kids they don't need to buckle up and be tough when the going gets tough because that's also easy. They will complain when the PIAA turns a blind eye and not actually put the PCL on notice and the reality of the schedule GA plays won’t be notated. But part of me says at least someone there stood up for themselves.

NG needs a game. I want to watch them. Not vs. LC or Bonner or Ohara. I would like to watch them play Roman and Lasalle etc. But oh...that is verboten, that doesn't happen in the IMG division, they just label the smaller school kids soft...forgot.

While the very real hurt that some of NG people are showing is legit and real and understandable and warranted, what does get me is the hypocrisy of the posters who advocate the schools that have hugely benefitted from transfers but take zero ownership, were the first to chime in on this. It's funny, the interac created all star teams? You didn't mind taking the interac all star team transfers over the past few years did you? When your 9th grade teams from your Catholic Academy league feeder schools clearly weren’t going to cut it. You don't seem to mind this year when you have multiple Penn Charter transfers, and CONGRATS you dipped into the Pac 10 this year grabbing Methacton's finest. Odd how they seem to be your defensive line now. But these kids weren't contacted by your coach who is charge of transfers were they? Why that doesn’t happen, you follow all the sacred PIAA rules. Recruit? Whaaa? Guy wants to speak for the entire PCL about who they should schedule…how magnanimous of you. I bet Judge and Roman felt great about you speaking for them when you trotted out your transfer to carry the ball 45 times vs them. When Malvern doesn't play Lasalle and Haverford doesn't play a big school, since when do you football bluebloods even care about the interac? Weak? Balls up and play says the guy whose team brought a key player in for less than a year and a half but for two football seasons, to help get over the top to win a state crown. I don't even think they needed the kid. But that certainly insured the CHIP didn’t it? Is part of the outreach bringing in the transfer and then agreeing maybe its best he just attend here for a year, and another semester and then really it is in his best interest to graduate from somewhere else. After all, the brotherhood was established right? Taken in context is this decision by GA really out of line? Can no one see the craziness here. Hell, North Penn just hopped on board now. Can't beat em join em right?

I applaud NE for stepping in and getting NG a game. Gonna root for NG and Albie because that is what philly guys do. But the faux outrage is laughable from some of you. The reality is glad the kids got a game, but someone at GA made an unpopular decision. Let NG deal with it. I will say kids lose in all of this controversy and that is what is the real downside is.

Chesmont-

Here are the acceptance rates of the great "Catholic" Colleges in the Philly area:

Neumann- 91% acceptance
Chestnut Hill- 93% acceptance
Holy Family- 74%
Immaculata- 79%
LaSalle- 75%
Cabrini- 72%
Alvernia- 74%
Rosemont- 71%

I can go on and on....

I always got a kick out of the "fact" that most of the Archdiocese Schools say their College acceptance rate for students to College approaches 100%. If you take close to 100% of College prep kids, you can scew the numbers in your favor. Who goes to an Archdiocese School for vo-tech? The answer is nobody. No wonder the numbers look good. If I take the kids in a Public School that want to go to College, that number also approaches 100%.... Fun fact of the day... if you have 2.5 GPA at the two NE Catholic schools, you automatically get accepted to Holy Family....

This decision will play itself out over the year. I don’t agree with the timing. And NG has a game now, good job Northeast. But some big picture items are being missed one could say. And it is not the Delval kids or anything like that.

NG has changed the competitive landscape and it is for the better of the kids on their team. Personally I like Albie a lot. But let’s realize GA is not part of the PIAA, they do their own thing and don't bother anybody. Sure they recruit and on their website they say 28% of the students get financial aid. So that occurs. And it is transparent. And as a non member of the PIAA it’s their business, as is with every interac team. That puts them and the other members above the snarky comments about recruiting etc. That is fact.

Problem I can see is GA has about 80 boys a class, and about 42-45 on team. Most 6A and 5A frosh teams have more kids. Team is competitive (beat Judge Saturday), but what is lost is that they do get to choose their non conference foes. And in turn set themselves up in a health and competitive position to try to compete for the league. We should know as football people, the schedule is set up for the league, as the league is most important. Not Rick Obrien’s top 25, or beating your buddies from weight ball. LaSalle’s HUGE win over Malvern (a school half its size, way to finally get one) doesn’t mean a thing if Prep kicks their butts this year. So that set up is important and has to be respected.

GA hasn’t been afraid to play anyone...Gratz killed them game one. Gratz is a 5A team, and is pretty darn good. GA is a 2A class. But due to the nature of the interac that is an appropriate match. Unlike some teams in District 12 inter ac teams traditionally play up multiple classes including in their own league. The tradition is more important than the numbers. They got a rematch with Judge who killed them last year and got lucky and beat them. Again, butt kicked by Gratz game 1, tough game vs Judge game 2 both schools being big and physical for a team with 40+ kids to face, and that 40+ includes freshmen. And prior to the interac season this year will face a very good West Catholic team and may face same fate as they did vs Gratz.. So playing schools and being beat is not an issue. GA has a long history of getting their a$$es kicked in football, but have always tried to schedule appropriate teams, check their history. So I am not sure running was the decision that was made.

What is an issue is commonality, and the freedom to choose your non league schedule. For those in the PCL, this is what freedom smells like For me, the bigger issue is where is the PCL in all of this. The PCL divided into 2 leagues for two specific reasons. Ability and player safety. The PCL smaller division has commonality of school sizes, and a shared competitive balance, which all translates into player safety. Let's look at this way, how good does LC and Bonner feel getting sent into games vs NG now? Both teams, similar to GA, know how to take a butt kicking. But where is the league advocating for these young men? It’s not popular but a legit question. And it’s the same reason why North Penn does not traditionally play Tennent. (insert the wood, lasalle, and prep guys calling me soft here....brainwashed)

Let's use the suburban one league and PAC 10...constantly shifting and addressing competitive balance while also looking at geography and logistics.

Actually governing and monitoring a league can be done, the PCL can take note here.

But it doesn't look good. GA looks like a team evading a really good team. The community at large on this board will judge them and call them soft and worse, because that's easy to say to people you don't know. People will say this teaches their kids they don't need to buckle up and be tough when the going gets tough because that's also easy. They will complain when the PIAA turns a blind eye and not actually put the PCL on notice and the reality of the schedule GA plays won’t be notated. But part of me says at least someone there stood up for themselves.

NG needs a game. I want to watch them. Not vs. LC or Bonner or Ohara. I would like to watch them play Roman and Lasalle etc. But oh...that is verboten, that doesn't happen in the IMG division, they just label the smaller school kids soft...forgot.

While the very real hurt that some of NG people are showing is legit and real and understandable and warranted, what does get me is the hypocrisy of the posters who advocate the schools that have hugely benefitted from transfers but take zero ownership, were the first to chime in on this. It's funny, the interac created all star teams? You didn't mind taking the interac all star team transfers over the past few years did you? When your 9th grade teams from your Catholic Academy league feeder schools clearly weren’t going to cut it. You don't seem to mind this year when you have multiple Penn Charter transfers, and CONGRATS you dipped into the Pac 10 this year grabbing Methacton's finest. Odd how they seem to be your defensive line now. But these kids weren't contacted by your coach who is charge of transfers were they? Why that doesn’t happen, you follow all the sacred PIAA rules. Recruit? Whaaa? Guy wants to speak for the entire PCL about who they should schedule…how magnanimous of you. I bet Judge and Roman felt great about you speaking for them when you trotted out your transfer to carry the ball 45 times vs them. When Malvern doesn't play Lasalle and Haverford doesn't play a big school, since when do you football bluebloods even care about the interac? Weak? Balls up and play says the guy whose team brought a key player in for less than a year and a half but for two football seasons, to help get over the top to win a state crown. I don't even think they needed the kid. But that certainly insured the CHIP didn’t it? Is part of the outreach bringing in the transfer and then agreeing maybe its best he just attend here for a year, and another semester and then really it is in his best interest to graduate from somewhere else. After all, the brotherhood was established right? Taken in context is this decision by GA really out of line? Can no one see the craziness here. Hell, North Penn just hopped on board now. Can't beat em join em right?

I applaud NE for stepping in and getting NG a game. Gonna root for NG and Albie because that is what philly guys do. But the faux outrage is laughable from some of you. The reality is glad the kids got a game, but someone at GA made an unpopular decision. Let NG deal with it. I will say kids lose in all of this controversy and that is what is the real downside is.
It's quite the ramble ... I'd prefer the cliff notes ... tried to extract some logic and reasoning - found some and some contradiction as well ... simply put, balls up comment is directed at me and I stand by it, as far as the playroom question, I can only think of one and he left early and it was one of the biggest mistakes he made and he admits it and as you said he wasn't need it for the ship.

Reactions: CYOBALL1
Roxy-

My bad.. I meant no disrespect. Chesmont gets "holier than thou" at times... I will stop. But, I have more if he continues this prideful crap. He should be proud of Shanahan. It's a great school. The "we are better than you" stuff needs to stop. There are great Catholic schools, and there are great Public Schools. They both serve a purpose for parents and students.

Rox that was aimed at your comment 10000%. I don't think GA deserved your flippant bs comment. You have an axe to grind vs GA or maybe the league. But like a true philly guy I wish you luck in a tough game this weekend. I have you guys as winning by 10.

Explain exactly what you mean by

Bush - My feelings of the Archdiocese school system is positive as kids will receive a faith based excellentl education being more handled by parents and businesses who will not only provide an excellent education but most importantly produces a very well rounded person who not only serves God but all other humans. Unfortunately our public schools does not provide and teach the same. Explain on your archdiocesan thoughts?

You want my thoughts Chester?

Son, in thirty-five years of religious study, I've come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts; there is a God, and, I'm not Him.

Maybe you should seek out Father Cavanaugh for some chest pumping about the Greatness of THE Bishop Shanahan.

Cheers,

Busch

From the Inquirer:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...rn-first-football-playoff-berth-20170912.html

Game scratched
Germantown Academy (2-1) opted out of its scheduled nonleague game vs. Neumann-Goretti (1-0) on Saturday afternoon.

When asked Tuesday why the Patriots had canceled the contest, GA coach Matt Dence would only say, “It’s not the right thing for our team. We need to do what’s in the best interest of our kids.”

N-G first year coach Albie Croby learned of GA’s decision Monday. “I’m a little surprised,” he said. “They said that it’s a case of two teams going in different directions. I don’t fully understand it, but I have to respect it.”

In its season opener last Saturday, N-G stormed past visiting Interboro, 54-25. The Saints rallied from a 25-6, second-quarter deficit.

N-G shut down its season last October because of a shortage of players and concerns about injuries. The Saints dropped a 44-0 decision to GA in Week 4, finished 0-6 overall, and went 0-4 in the Catholic League Blue Division.

This year, N-G has taken some heat for adding several talented transfers in the offseason, including 6-7, 335-pound lineman Justin Johnson, an Oregon recruit, and running back Chris Wells, both formerly of Imhotep Charter, and running back Leddie Brown, a West Virginia recruit who was previously at Smyrna (Del.).

The Saints, who have a roster of about 45 players, were able to find an opponent for this weekend. They are slated to visit Northeast at 3 p.m. Friday.

“I’m actually glad they found another game,” Dence said. “I wish them the best. I hope they have a great season.”

I'm kind of interested in GA's motivation to scrap this game. I hope it wasn't just from a we can't compete perspective. If so, they really sold their kids short in this decision, IMO. Sure, NG probably has an overall team speed/skill advantage, but GA is a well-coached team, their kids play hard and the right way, they are solid on the LOS, pretty strong defensively, and usually don't hurt themselves. That should be enough to hang around and not look like you completely don't belong on the same field.

Maybe, the decision was more about philosophical differences in how this particular NG team was built in such a short amount of time. I can't speak for GA, just thinking out loud.
Burrs,

Another thing to consider. I wonder how many post- grads are on GA roster. Since PIAA schools can't play against post-grads, they would have to sit out the game. So, you've got one team losing players and the other team having added a significant number. Just something to consider.
As for the decision, this had to come from the AD. I'm assuming Fenerty is still the AD, he coached in the PCL so he's no novice about what is going on. They don't do things on a whim there, I'm sure they had their reasons and I respect their decision. Just from reffing their games over the years, they seem very protective of their student athletes, not saying other schools don't, they just seem more so.

As for GA recruiting, I live in the North Penn school district which is not far from GA. I follow things pretty closely and in the past 20 years, I can't remember them being a player in this area, which is very fertile. LaSalle comes up here as they should to get players and Wood does also because well, Wood recruits everyone who lives within 100 miles of the school.

Rox that was aimed at your comment 10000%. I don't think GA deserved your flippant bs comment. You have an axe to grind vs GA or maybe the league. But like a true philly guy I wish you luck in a tough game this weekend. I have you guys as winning by 10.
If GA hadn't blown them out last year, my position would differ. But, like in life, you need to adapt to change. It's a sign of the millennial times. I stand by the comment ... BALLS UP - strap them up, don't strap it on. As far as SJP/Wood, it will be close and could go either way.

Burrs,

Another thing to consider. I wonder how many post- grads are on GA roster. Since PIAA schools can't play against post-grads, they would have to sit out the game. So, you've got one team losing players and the other team having added a significant number. Just something to consider.
As for the decision, this had to come from the AD. I'm assuming Fenerty is still the AD, he coached in the PCL so he's no novice about what is going on. They don't do things on a whim there, I'm sure they had their reasons and I respect their decision. Just from reffing their games over the years, they seem very protective of their student athletes, not saying other schools don't, they just seem more so.

As for GA recruiting, I live in the North Penn school district which is not far from GA. I follow things pretty closely and in the past 20 years, I can't remember them being a player in this area, which is very fertile. LaSalle comes up here as they should to get players and Wood does also because well, Wood recruits everyone who lives within 100 miles of the school.
Fenerty is no longer AD, was forced to step down as was head master. This will be denied but it's true. GA tries to get North Penn kids, didn't they just have two or 3? two are now on North Penn? There is zero reason or excuse to have cancelled game. I believe year two Albie was at Tep they had SCH Academy on schedule, game was played. What is GA's message? This was wrong!

for those interested:
According to PaPrepLive article, Interboro had 315 yds on 60 plays and 21 1st downs.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
This is an absolute disgrace by GA. How does this help them beat Malvern or Haverford?? And why so afraid of a team that beat an Interboro team that fumbled 9 times?? Head coach and AD should be fired for this. It makes the whole Inter Ac look bad.

Wow, a lot of bad info being posted on this one. Fenerty is not the AD, that was pretty public a while back. GA does recruit NP kids, in fact some just transferred back to NP, and GA recruits who cares. ALL the schools recruit or take kids that want to transfer, not just prep and wood that schtick has gotten pretty old....No way GA should have cancelled game, NG is not loaded yet and if Albie gets them their hopefully they move to PCL red, Prep and Wood need more competition.

Also, the comment was made that a GA 5th years would have to sit out. Why? Didn't a 5th year compete against Prep and Judge in baseball this spring, is it a football only rule? Or not true as well?

All the speculation is stupid, the game shouldnt have been canceled. Tell the GA coach to grow a pair... Also, Im tired of hearing about the transfers... Name a school outside of Prep that doesnt have transfers....

Reactions: Salvucci
Stop it with the Transfer stuff. Everyone accepts transfer, legally and illegally. It's been going on for centuries!! The great Pub teams of the past all had transfers. Berwick in the 80s, CB West in the 90s. Shariff Floyd of George Washington. Udinski of NP. As Roxy stated "Balls up!!" It's football. Play the game!!

Chesmont-

You are an a&@... The worst sin of the 7 deadly sins is hubris. " It is irrationally believing that one is essentially and necessarily better, superior, or more important than others and excessive admiration of the personal image or self. ". Who made u the God of education? Seriously. I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I don't know what public school, you are referring to, but there are some great Public Schools. Public schools that are EVERY bit as good as your beloved Shanahan. And yes, some very poor public schools. I am not going to debate you on this, as you can't debate someone that has hubris.

I am Catholic. Go to Church, volunteer and pray everyday. I will pray for you.. And send my kids to a Public HS....
D1 - Apparently your school did not teach you how to appropriately read all of the posts. My issue was the bigoted and racist poster who put down the archdiocese as an unacceptable school system. I never said public schools were bad but indicated I liked the product Catholic schools produced. Reread Bushs post of putting down the Archdiocese. BTW - I don't give a shit you are Catholic. I am too but doesn't sway my opinion either way.

Last edited:
D1 - Apparently your school did not teach you how to appropriately read all of the posts. My issue was the bigoted and racist poster who put down the archdiocese as an unacceptable school system. I never said public schools were bad but indicated I liked the product Catholic schools produced. Reread Bushs post of putting down the Archdiocese. BTW - I don't give a shit you are Catholic. I am too but doesn't sway my opinion either way.

Chesmont how does me stating that your beloved Bishop Shanahan and it's one "Academic Cup" put down the Archdiocese? I then simply state that the school is a Catholic school and somehow you decide that's bigoted as well when I took it directly from the "About Us" section of the website. Grow the hell up you chump or maybe you have a little bit of a Ray Donovan complex from your childhood.

Cheers,

Busch

Wow, a lot of bad info being posted on this one. Fenerty is not the AD, that was pretty public a while back. GA does recruit NP kids, in fact some just transferred back to NP, and GA recruits who cares. ALL the schools recruit or take kids that want to transfer, not just prep and wood that schtick has gotten pretty old....No way GA should have cancelled game, NG is not loaded yet and if Albie gets them their hopefully they move to PCL red, Prep and Wood need more competition.

Also, the comment was made that a GA 5th years would have to sit out. Why? Didn't a 5th year compete against Prep and Judge in baseball this spring, is it a football only rule? Or not true as well?
Salvucci,

Just to circle back and clear up the mis-information, not every PIAA team recruits. Does Pennridge recruit? How about CBSouth? The Rocks? What about Spring-Ford? Perk Valley? Garnet Valley? I could go on and on and on. The number of schools that recruit you can probably count on one hand and most play in the same league.

As for GA, they are a private school so they have to recruit all of their students. Back 15 years ago, they recruited for basketball and got Walsh, Shukas and Melchionni, all big-time players in one class. That is "recruiting", not this piddling stuff you're talking about.

Same thing happened with baseball a few years ago. They went out and got the Coyle brothers and 3 - 4 very good players from the North Penn area. They have never "recruited" for football the way they have done so for hoops and baseball.

As for the eligibility rules, they apply to every sport. There are several but the main rule s are you can't turn 19 before June 30 of your senior year and you can't have more than 8 semesters (half-years) once you enter 9th grade.

Jhoops

I wrote, recruit or take transfers, and all the schools in this conversation do. The last 4 D1 quad A/6A champs 13'14'15'16 all had impact transfers "recruited by something" on their rosters, many of the Pub and most of PCL and like you said all of the IA have recruits or transfers. When those schools you mention have the program success of some others they may attract transfers as well...I'm hoping Garnet Valley continues their success and attracts additional quality players to their program in future years.

Not that it matters but GA does not exclude NP from their recruiting, it may be piddly in football for other reasons, like the strength of NP's program or the students decide on an alternative like lasalle or Prep for football. Many 309 kids there.

Do 5th year IA players have to sit out when playing a PIAA team?

Your obsession is showing.

I just don't like it when someone grabs the microphone to make a point and his argument turns out to be baseless. This isn't good for the football landscape at all. So GA pulls out of a scheduled, contracted game. What's to stop any team from pulling out of any game for any reason at all??

I concede Shanahan is the premier academic institution in Chester County. It's a hot bed.

Borderline racism? You've got to be kidding me...isn't it true ALOT of NG players were at Charter Schools or Public Schools in the past? Now all of a sudden Alvie shows up and let's go to a Catholic High School. Really think about it. Just from a common sense standpoint. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers,

Busch
Albie has a following and parents of kids with talent will follow him because they know their kid will have a shot at going on to play in college. No different than when he was at TEP. And yes, it is borderline racist. Unless you have the financial statements of the parents of those kids and can prove it then you can post the reply you posted.

Albie has a following and parents of kids with talent will follow him because they know their kid will have a shot at going on to play in college. No different than when he was at TEP. And yes, it is borderline racist. Unless you have the financial statements of the parents of those kids and can prove it then you can post the reply you posted.

If a kid works hard enough and has the talent to go along with it, then they will have a chance to play at the college level. Whether that be D-1, 1AA, D-2, or D3. It can happen at any school. If you're good enough they will find you. That simple.

IMO, the involvement/influence with the 7-on-7 offseason stuff potentially could be a conflict of interest when you're a head coach for a HS team. The exposure to kids in that type of setting makes it easier to find or sway current HS players to make a move to another school. On the surface I think the 7-on-7 stuff is good for kids and having the opportunity to continue to work at the sport during the offseason is generally a good thing.

Reactions: Aragorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT