ADVERTISEMENT

GA @ NG Cancelled

CYOBALL1

Jul 20, 2012
Germantown Academy cancels game with Neumann Goretti just 5 days prior to the game because they feel like NG is an all star team.
That is a little ridiculous if you ask me.

Reactions: lilromeo
Weak ... so this game was likely scheduled last year, so it would be ok for GA to throttle them if things hadn't 'changed'?! Balls up and play, lost respect on this one.

And so it starts. There is so much about this entire NG situation that is so so slippery. It's almost like the Catholic League is sticking its finger in the eye of PIAA.

When you stop and think about it if you had to create a scenario to shine a light on all the advantages (open boundaries, scholarships, transfers) could you make up a situation any more ridiculous than this one. In nine months you go from a school having to cancel its own season to having games canceled on them for creating a competitive advantage. You can't make this up.

This bears major monitoring on two fronts. First if this team wins a state title or even comes close it will be the straw that breaks the camels back for PCL in PIAA. People will lose their minds.

Additionally the archdiocese better be very careful here. Finances of these individual schools are supposed to be based on a per pupil base charge. So whether a pupil goes to Ryan, Carroll, NG the school has to kick 7800 a pupil into the system. Maybe NG paying 7800 for each of these kids. However the optic and the sniff test here are suspect at best. I know for me it's a major turnoff to the point where I'm likely not going to participate in the large archdiocesan donor program until there is way more transparency in the way they do business.

I'm all for helping provide a catholic education for those who want it. But for that support it comes with some caveats. This mercenary one year (heck sometimes one semester) to play a sport is nonsense. It also shows how morally bankrupt some of these adult decision makers are all over the place. Quite frankly it's embarrassing that a league with our history has sunk to this level and highlights the archdiocese's ineptitude in running a school system and extracurriculars. Seriously what's next? Mid year transfers once we know what some of our teams need? Let's just rename our premier division the IMG division and the smaller one AAU division. Never liked Red and Blue.

The PCL will destroy itself. The smaller schools with limited resources will go first.

And so it starts. There is so much about this entire NG situation that is so so slippery. It's almost like the Catholic League is sticking its finger in the eye of PIAA.

When you stop and think about it if you had to create a scenario to shine a light on all the advantages (open boundaries, scholarships, transfers) could you make up a situation any more ridiculous than this one. In nine months you go from a school having to cancel its own season to having games canceled on them for creating a competitive advantage. You can't make this up.

This bears major monitoring on two fronts. First if this team wins a state title or even comes close it will be the straw that breaks the camels back for PCL in PIAA. People will lose their minds.

Additionally the archdiocese better be very careful here. Finances of these individual schools are supposed to be based on a per pupil base charge. So whether a pupil goes to Ryan, Carroll, NG the school has to kick 7800 a pupil into the system. Maybe NG paying 7800 for each of these kids. However the optic and the sniff test here are suspect at best. I know for me it's a major turnoff to the point where I'm likely not going to participate in the large archdiocesan donor program until there is way more transparency in the way they do business.

I'm all for helping provide a catholic education for those who want it. But for that support it comes with some caveats. This mercenary one year (heck sometimes one semester) to play a sport is nonsense. It also shows how morally bankrupt some of these adult decision makers are all over the place. Quite frankly it's embarrassing that a league with our history has sunk to this level and highlights the archdiocese's ineptitude in running a school system and extracurriculars. Seriously what's next? Mid year transfers once we know what some of our teams need? Let's just rename our premier division the IMG division and the smaller one AAU division. Never liked Red and Blue.

This has to be the post of the year.

Are you insinuating the players who go to this school are unable to pay the tuition? What factual information do you have to even say this?

While I don't agree with cancelling a game in season this was bound to happen. The PIAA needs to open their eyes on this one. Follow the "money" or the absence of "money"... Where do you, within rules, shut a program down, then revitalize it to infinite levels within the calendar year?

Cheers,

Busch

5 days before the game? Lost respect for GA. Doesn't this school take 5th year players like some of the other schools in this league? Funny how all the private/catholic haters come out in these posts but you'll never see them questioning the pubs.

Last edited:

Gang - No teams cancelled on North Penn when the Central Bucks QB (now graduated), what about all the Strath Haven kids in your home county who used to magically show up for Clancy during those great years. You trolls need to view the whole high school landscape.

While I don't agree with cancelling a game in season this was bound to happen. The PIAA needs to open their eyes on this one. Follow the "money" or the absence of "money"... Where do you, within rules, shut a program down, then revitalize it to infinite levels within the calendar year?

Cheers,

Busch

Another money post!? Follow the money? Dig in and look deep down and ask yourself why are you guys assuming these parents whom you don't know nor never met, are unable to pay tuition. That's boarderline racism; direct stereotype profile. I was at the Goretti game and saw they started a lot of freshmen in both sides. They were losing 25-6 I believe.

Another money post!? Follow the money? Dig in and look deep down and ask yourself why are you guys assuming these parents whom you don't know nor never met, are unable to pay tuition. That's boarderline racism; direct stereotype profile. I was at the Goretti game and saw they started a lot of freshmen in both sides. They were losing 25-6 I believe.
For Who - Busch is the same guy who had a hard to me believing Shanahan won the Downingtown HS academic cup over East West and Stem. Guess he thinks the brains were recruited too. Lol

I am no fan of Neumann Goretti but GA cancelling the game might be the weakest thing I have ever heard especially since GA beat them 44-0 last year. GA won the Inter Ac last year, obviously recruits, wonderful facilities, have just as much resources as anyone in the state. They had no problem scheduling weaker teams in the past so they could roll on like New Hope Solebury, ANC, Bishop McDevitt, and Neumann Goretti (last year).

Props to a Philadelphia public school Northeast stepping up and taking on Neumann Goretti.

I wonder how the GA kids feel about this one? I'm assuming they would of loved the challenge and this is more of a coaches decision. Guess we never have to worry about GA becoming a dominate force in SEPA and scheduling Prep, Wood, and LaSalle.

For Who - Busch is the same guy who had a hard to me believing Shanahan won the Downingtown HS academic cup over East West and Stem. Guess he thinks the brains were recruited too. Lol

I concede Shanahan is the premier academic institution in Chester County. It's a hot bed.

Borderline racism? You've got to be kidding me...isn't it true ALOT of NG players were at Charter Schools or Public Schools in the past? Now all of a sudden Alvie shows up and let's go to a Catholic High School. Really think about it. Just from a common sense standpoint. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers,

Busch

A lot of players from Del Val Charter which shut down this past June. The Del Val coach is an assistant coach on the team. I'm sure he brought along a few of his players. Where would you want those Del Val kids to go to?

I concede Shanahan is the premier academic institution in Chester County. It's a hot bed.

Borderline racism? You've got to be kidding me...isn't it true ALOT of NG players were at Charter Schools or Public Schools in the past? Now all of a sudden Alvie shows up and let's go to a Catholic High School. Really think about it. Just from a common sense standpoint. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers,

Busch

Are you drunk? Do you see what you are writing? Just because a kid went to charter school then to catholic automatically says it's "common sense" they are unable to pay tuition so "follow the money!" That my friend, is word play to hidden racism. I asked you to dig and look deep into yourself and discover why you would have this type of mindset and most of all, believe it is "common sense"?... Wow!

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
GA's coach showed he's no competitor! The fact they cancelled shows that. The transfer route to build a team, I'm not in favor. Obviously this happened in this case. My opinion it's wrong if kids are already at another high school(not referring to Del-Val). At the end of the day, loser coach from GA cheated the kids. NO CATHOLIC LEAGUE school should EVER schedule with GA again

For who,

I have to agree with you here. Follow the money? GA costs how much $36,000 a year or something? GA and the inter-ac is known for re-classing kids and getting more money from them and having 19 year olds compete against 15 year olds. It is ok for GA to subsidize $15k, $20k, $30k for student athletes that they want with financial aid because it is coming from some big endowment or other source, but God forbid NG attract players, sounds pretty hypocritcal to site money. GA made a poor decision on this one.

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1

Cheers,

Busch
Bush - Its obvious your distaste for Catholicism goes beyond the PCL and Catholic football. You made the comment Shanahan was no where near Downingtown schools and you were proven wrong. Then you make the comment that all Money goes to the church in a derogatory way. Go put your hood back and stay where you came from. Put facts on here before you start cutting a religion down. My thought is many of those NG kids are going to benefit w a much better education, Christian values and play for a top notch program vs what they would have I received in the Phila public school system.

Reactions: BucksFB
I think there are two separate issues here.. one is canceling of a game because of competition and the other is recruiting..

By canceling a game you are telling your kids when things get rough just walk away.. somewhat like most of us have said about this generation.. you can't blame the kids.. but if the reason is true the coach should be fired..if they are going to stand on a soap box about recruiting I hope they stop going to CYO and middle school games looking for the next great 8th grader..

As far as recruiting goes.. we have all beat this horse into the ground and I can't believe I am going to says this but a good friend helped me see the light.... from a Philly public school (Philly is one district) and a catholic school perspective they have not broken any rules.. do I agree no.. but the kids can play for any school in the district.. it's no different then what public schools do finding a relative in the direct etc. (I'm a NP alum.. we've had our share)...the Preps.. the Woods etc.. just now everyone is joining the party.. at the end of the day their is only so much talent to go around and it will work itself out.. plus if teams start to cancel games it will put pressure on PIAA to step in or schools will start to form another league..

Cheers,

Busch

NEWS FLASH!!!! There's so much animosity against Coach Crosby since he's been coaching. All you crying trolls do is point the recruiting finger when it's happening in high school sports everywhere especially in this state. What happened was you all noticed a black coach who is well respected (and hated) in the communities where the odds are against these kids. He's a product of the Archdioses (CYO and High School). But he get ridiculed from learning the PCL way of building a competitive football team. No one is pointing the finger at the kids from these same communities that parents send them from Philly to Wood or Non-PCL counties. It's happening at every school in some capacity.

It's nothing to do with any of the game. It's about who's playing the game in this case. Damn, if I was the head coach of NG I'd be in the same position. It's about race. We are not going to skirt around it when we have these discussions. How many black HCs are in the dioscese schools? Count the years up and on one hand you get my point.

I think there are two separate issues here.. one is canceling of a game because of competition and the other is recruiting..

By canceling a game you are telling your kids when things get rough just walk away.. somewhat like most of us have said about this generation.. you can't blame the kids.. but if the reason is true the coach should be fired..if they are going to stand on a soap box about recruiting I hope they stop going to CYO and middle school games looking for the next great 8th grader..

As far as recruiting goes.. we have all beat this horse into the ground and I can't believe I am going to says this but a good friend helped me see the light.... from a Philly public school (Philly is one district) and a catholic school perspective they have not broken any rules.. do I agree no.. but the kids can play for any school in the district.. it's no different then what public schools do finding a relative in the direct etc. (I'm a NP alum.. we've had our share)...the Preps.. the Woods etc.. just now everyone is joining the party.. at the end of the day their is only so much talent to go around and it will work itself out.. plus if teams start to cancel games it will put pressure on PIAA to step in or schools will start to form another league..

If they are within the rules, what's the issue here? Thanks for shedding light on how the Inter-Ac and PCL schools go out recruiting 7th and 8th graders. Malvern Prep has recruited kids from Lower Providence and other youth teams out that way. They get kids from Norristown as well. Usually having assistants who've coached make the connects with the families and youth coaches.

Furthermore, a school like GA should not be cancelling games based off of hearsay. They too have privilege to reclassify their kids and have 5th year seniors. No complaints there.

Haverford sticks to the script and will play whoever they scheduled to play. They have a tougher non-league schedule this year.

GA is pure cowardice and ****ery!

People are talking about an all star team. Are you serious? If you break down the roster you will see its about 8 transfers. You can not count Del Val as transfers because the school closed. They followed Coach Gore.....

NEWS FLASH!!!! There's so much animosity against Coach Crosby since he's been coaching. All you crying trolls do is point the recruiting finger when it's happening in high school sports everywhere especially in this state. What happened was you all noticed a black coach who is well respected (and hated) in the communities where the odds are against these kids. He's a product of the Archdioses (CYO and High School). But he get ridiculed from learning the PCL way of building a competitive football team. No one is pointing the finger at the kids from these same communities that parents send them from Philly to Wood or Non-PCL counties. It's happening at every school in some capacity.

It's nothing to do with any of the game. It's about who's playing the game in this case. Damn, if I was the head coach of NG I'd be in the same position. It's about race. We are not going to skirt around it when we have these discussions. How many black HCs are in the dioscese schools? Count the years up and on one hand you get my point.

I can speak for myself, this isn't about race for me. Coach Crosby could be black, white, orange or green. His skin color doesn't matter to me. Bringing in 23 transfers in one year, 11 senior transfers is what bothers me. My Alma Mater losing starting defensive and offensive starters for a week or two due to tuition issues while NG has 23 kids playing that haven't paid a cent to the Archdiocese. That's what bothers me.
I have been critical of Devlin, from Wood for doing the same. Never has he done it to the extent that NG has. Guess what, Devlin is white.
I'm done talking about NG's roster and free agent pick ups.
At the end of the day GA cancelling on NG is a disgrace.
GA hosts CYO playoffs so they can recruit talented 8th graders. For them to cancel this game because " the two programs are heading in different directions" is a bit hypocritical to me.

Not sure why you had to mention the race on this board - as no one ever does.. all we talk about is W/Ls, team gossip and coaching (the good and the bad) regardless if a martian is the coach (forgive me if I have offend martian coach).. I guess you have never seen the bashing that Prep gets... as an Italian american I think it;s because the HC is Italian.. or that Wood gets...

if you are going to say people are jealous because of the color of his skin..you have a different ax to grind and it's not football related

Reactions: CYOBALL1
I can speak for myself, this isn't about race for me. Coach Crosby could be black, white, orange or green. His skin color doesn't matter to me. Bringing in 23 transfers in one year, 11 senior transfers is what bothers me. My Alma Mater losing starting defensive and offensive starters for a week or two due to tuition issues while NG has 23 kids playing that haven't paid a cent to the Archdiocese. That's what bothers me.
I have been critical of Devlin, from Wood for doing the same. Never has he done it to the extent that NG has. Guess what, Devlin is white.
GA hosts CYO playoffs so they can recruit talented 8th graders. For them to cancel this game because " the two programs are heading in different directions" is a bit hypocritical to me.

No one wants to hear this at all! Not here you definitely must be a racist.

Let's start with Del Val Charter...they followed Coach "So &So". So it's fair to say they followed him for athletic purposes.

Why not Boy's Latin, KIPP, even Imhotep...oh that's right we followed coach for football.

Dudes playing in three high schools over a four year span. Without moving...that's a problem.

No gradual hey we are going to get this going in the right direction. Let's get every kid we can from anywhere, including Delaware because the PIAA is not going to say a darn thing.

Chemont your comments couldn't be further from the truth. I disagree with how a program goes from folding to having an entire stock of student-athletes to choose from and you make me out to be a racist.

You Shanahan BS is out played. Your sample size of them beating Downingtown in anything academic or athletic is a very small sample size. I attempted to concede, but you continue to ramble. Shanahan is a very good option for Catholic education in Chester County.

Cheers,

Busch

There was a similar situation in the recent past. Episcopal Academy cancelled a game against Red Lion Academy. The similarity ends there. Red Lion Academy (Northern Delaware), truly, was an all-star team, physically imposing, with a good number of players D1 recruits. It was compared to IMG Academy. I don't think the cancellation was a last minute thing. I seem to remember Episcopal was not as much worried about the score, but the physical aspect- injuries. It was a good call and no one disagreed with it.

You have to admire the public school teams that have to face Imotep each and every week. I posted recently about a new public school coach who got a game with then, a very good O'Hara team, primarily to play against the best to make his team better.

No one wants to hear this at all! Not here you definitely must be a racist.

Let's start with Del Val Charter...they followed Coach "So &So". So it's fair to say they followed him for athletic purposes.

Why not Boy's Latin, KIPP, even Imhotep...oh that's right we followed coach for football.

Dudes playing in three high schools over a four year span. Without moving...that's a problem.

No gradual hey we are going to get this going in the right direction. Let's get every kid we can from anywhere, including Delaware because the PIAA is not going to say a darn thing.

Chemont your comments couldn't be further from the truth. I disagree with how a program goes from folding to having an entire stock of student-athletes to choose from and you make me out to be a racist.

You Shanahan BS is out played. Your sample size of them beating Downingtown in anything academic or athletic is a very small sample size. I attempted to concede, but you continue to ramble. Shanahan is a very good option for Catholic education in Chester County.

Cheers,

Busch

I don't blame you Busch, I blame who raised you. Your undertones stinks and the issue is you don't realize it. Try not to pass your "common sense" observations to your children. Let's make the world and the PIAA a better place.

Check the rosters throughout the city. I believe it shows Del Val Charter players at West Catholic, Imhotep, Gratz, Northeast, Future, Lincoln, Franklin, and several other schools.

To be clear, I threw out my race card because you issued the "common sense" statement that certain kids are unable to pay the tuition without knowing or meeting the same kids. Thats the true definition of a racial undertone.

There was a similar situation in the recent past. Episcopal Academy cancelled a game against Red Lion Academy. The similarity ends there. Red Lion Academy (Northern Delaware), truly, was an all-star team, physically imposing, with a good number of players D1 recruits. It was compared to IMG Academy. I don't think the cancellation was a last minute thing. I seem to remember Episcopal was not as much worried about the score, but the physical aspect- injuries. It was a good call and no one disagreed with it.

You have to admire the public school teams that have to face Imotep each and every week. I posted recently about a new public school coach who got a game with then, a very good O'Hara team, primarily to play against the best to make his team better.

How is this similar when Goretti started and played with 5 freshmen on defense vs Interboro? They were losing 25-6 late in the second quarter.. Interboro fumbled the ball 3 to 4 straight processions deep in Goretti side of the field and that's how they came back. The RB for Interboro had over a 100 yards rushing in the 1st half. The FB had maybe 50 yards rushing on his first 8 carries. Interboro was dominating the game. I'm confused.

There appears to be a double standard at work. Albie is being ostracized for his ability to recruit more strategically than his Caucasian counterparts. Additionally, this ostracizing seems to be supported by administrations in a way that could have repercussions to the players. It impedes their ability to have appropriate game film to put them in the competitive landscape to receive scholarship dollars at the collegiate level. Again, this seems to be by design. It is imperative that there be some accountability for schools cherry picking games and so forth, because that sends the wrong message

GA canceling this game was wrong. No two ways about it. They throttled an undermanned NG (26 players at the time) squad last year, 44-0. I think that was the score at halftime. I was there and trust me is was far from pretty.

A fact is coming --- These teams are much closer in ability this year than they were last year.

NG has some talented kids on their roster now, but it's not a "loaded" team at this point. The Interboro score is a bit misleading. Interboro had nearly 400 yards of offense. They led 25-6. Once NG made it 25-12 late in 2nd QT the Bucs proceeded to fumble two straight kickoffs (Both led to NG scores) and then three plays into their next possession fumbled again, which was returned for another score. The score was 32-25 past the midpoint of the 3rd QT and INT reached the NG 3-yard line. A penalty pushed them back, but they still called a WR pass on 4th down that saw another Wr\R wide open. Alas, the pass was overthrown. Should have been a score and a chance to tie the game with like 4 minutes left in the 3rd QT. NG ripped off a couple of long ones after that and the competitiveness faded. But overall, this wasn't your common 29-point beating. Heck, it wasn't even a mercy rule game. INT fumbled 9 TIMES in the game (lost 3) and threw a pick. NG fumbled 7 times and lost three. NG also committed 16 penalties. The Saints have potential to be a handful in time, but there not exactly a well-oiled machine at this point. No one should be canceling games with them.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
GA canceling this game was wrong. No two ways about it. They throttled an undermanned NG (26 players at the time) squad last year, 44-0. I think that was the score at halftime. I was there and trust me is was far from pretty.

A fact is coming --- These teams are much closer in ability this year than they were last year.

NG has some talented kids on their roster now, but it's not a "loaded" team at this point. The Interboro score is a bit misleading. Interboro had nearly 400 yards of offense. They led 25-6. Once NG made it 25-12 late in 2nd QT the Bucs proceeded to fumble two straight kickoffs (Both led to NG scores) and then three plays into their next possession fumbled again, which was returned for another score. The score was 32-25 past the midpoint of the 3rd QT and INT reached the NG 3-yard line. A penalty pushed them back, but they still called a WR pass on 4th down that saw another Wr\R wide open. Alas, the pass was overthrown. Should have been a score and a chance to tie the game with like 4 minutes left in the 3rd QT. NG ripped off a couple of long ones after that and the competitiveness faded. But overall, this wasn't your common 29-point beating. Heck, it wasn't even a mercy rule game. INT fumbled 9 TIMES in the game (lost 3) and threw a pick. NG fumbled 7 times and lost three. NG also committed 16 penalties. The Saints have potential to be a handful in time, but there not exactly a well-oiled machine at this point. No one should be canceling games with them.

Come on Burrs? Interboro put up 400 yards of offense against an All Star team? Can't be true (sarcasm). Let the kids play and teach men to never back down from anyone. I heard GA told their parents NG had illegal players. How is that with freshmen starting on both sides of the ball? Black eye for a prestigious academic and athletic institution like GA. A disgrace those kids have to sit home this weekend after they reap the glory of blowing the same team out last year.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
CYOBall1 has it right on the points as to where the real problems with any of these type situations lie. Could go on for days on the complete failure of archdiocese to manage and maintain the system. Won't bore everyone with the details. It's a debacle across the board.

There is zero high ground for GA here to cancel this game. Dead wrong. Should never happen. However let's not pretend karma at work here. NG had to cancel back end of schedule last year. That was unfortunate circumstance. However the league had to tell them that in no uncertain terms they were not going to cancel the league schedule out and then play on Thanksgiving. So NG a mere 9 months ago tried a fast one of their own.

This isn't Albie or NG's fault. In fact I think Albie has done a ton of great things for kids for years and years at multiple places. He's playing in the landscape of this league. It's also not a race or denomination issue in my opinion. The league and the archdiocese has completely failed to police itself in any fashion whatsoever for years and has fallen back on the incredibly weak position of "this is what the schools need to do to survive".

The archdiocese downtown has done a horrendous job of handling athletic programs right on down to the youth level. There are no rules or standards. From youth on up these are showcase programs that are very loosely affiliated with Catholic education and the schools they represent. The adults are about winning. The parents are about exposure. The fact that there are no boundaries have allowed the schools to be gamed to aggregate talent in an AAU format across multiple sports.

Then you get public schools like North Penn who bring in outside talent or have kids move into the district so that they can compete at the very end with the AAU team. The whole system in pursuit of some great glory in middle of December in Hershey that at the end of the day is so inconsequential to the real mission of high school sports. I'm no pollyanna but is this is really what youth sports has become. Seems absolutely insane to me.

Reactions: green_beans
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT