ADVERTISEMENT

Death of the Green Mystique?

Ridleyguy87

Nov 22, 2015
It's been two days since Ridley lost to a one win Interboro team and there has not been one post about the game. Do people just not care anymore or are they so disgusted with the team/coaches that they are staying away. It's sad to see the complete disinterest in what was once a premier program in the state.

Harsh CL, Ridley may not be in upper echelon of programs now, but 699-189 since 1934 and no losing seasons since 1955 ain't bad..hard to sustain that level of excellence , probably unmatched in this area. Current regime may need to go, change could be in order to return to relevancy.

Reactions: Soup13
It’s dead! No more pride and tradition. It’s mostly due to a lack of talent because of the area is changing and people are moving out. The offense has been terrible. The 2016 season when they had success most of the team was back from 2015 and would have been successful no matter who was running the program.

I wouldn’t say it’s dead ,but it’s on life support. Regardless of talent , or lack thereof , they should not be losing to a one win Interboro squad that needed to go 97 yards for the winning score. Their defense is just atrocious. Probably the worst Ridley defense ever. Yet you have a head coach that supposedly made his bones as a college defense coordinator.

A lot of Ridley people did not understand how they put this staff together. The administration went outside the box for the whole staff, and it’s clearly not working. If they pull the plug now , there is going to be egg on a lot of peoples faces. On the other hand , if they don’t pull the plug , they program will be just another average team.

I think Ridleys demise is 4 fold:

• Garnet Valley joined league
  • Enrollment has went from 876 - 759 - 712 - 698. Will be interesting to see if the numbers drop even lower for 2020-22
  • The overall competition in the top half of the league (Garnet Valley, Haverford, Springfield.. sometimes Marple and Strath Haven) is much better over the last 10 years
  • Kids are focusing on 1 sport

I guess w the right coach they will get better but are they getting a steady stream of athletes like a Coatesville or Academy Park or cheltenham?

Chest

If the kids are focusing on one sport , I wish I knew what it was. For 2018-19 , they were abysmal in soccer , cross country , basketball , lacrosse and tennis. They were average in football and swimming , wrestling had a losing team record but did have a state qualifier , baseball made districts but lost in first round , and track was fine with a state medalist. I counted 3 winning seasons in 11 sports . So far this year you have football with a misleading winning record , soccer and cross country finishing 11th in a 12 team league. So not much better.

Sports at Ridley have been on the decline. It's not the same Ridley I graduated from 30 years ago, and most of the neighborhoods and families who were there for generations are gone. Lots of renters who come and go, fewer families (see declining enrollment) are all reasons for the decline. They might have a little magic in a group every few years, but this is the new reality for Ridley sports. Nobody's fault, it just is what it is.

Chest

If the kids are focusing on one sport , I wish I knew what it was. For 2018-19 , they were abysmal in soccer , cross country , basketball , lacrosse and tennis. They were average in football and swimming , wrestling had a losing team record but did have a state qualifier , baseball made districts but lost in first round , and track was fine with a state medalist. I counted 3 winning seasons in 11 sports . So far this year you have football with a misleading winning record , soccer and cross country finishing 11th in a 12 team league. So not much better.

Speed - As you know I dated a woman from there for years so went to many games. Gotta be tough for local folks and fans like yourself. Ridley always put a pretty good product on the field for many of years but it’s slipped a bit.

Chest - we’ll i hope you got to see some good football

Ridley had some real good teams back then. One game that stands out Is the playoff game at Neshaminy. Relayer came over and sat w us for awhile. Neshaminys depth and player line size just wore Ridley down. Was really pulling for Ridley that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT