ADVERTISEMENT

Imotep

2020sports

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2020
Weird strand on another thread. Thought id start a new one. Is this maybe finally a State Title Team? I gotta ask, do they really deserve to be the #1 ranked 5A Team in PA, having "choked" 2 yrs in a row in final? Also- s/o mentioned a player may be ineligible, due to transfer? Imo, maybe that is part of their downfall- they care more about "talent and transfers" than winning a title? I can say, last year- that Brigeman- if he was eligible in the Final- might have been able to beat Pine Richland? Thoughts?

If Denmark is eligible, I think they are the team to beat despite their coaching and gameplan deficiencies. Denmark will be the best player on the field in every game. He is THAT good and THAT dynamic. And it appears that he has a more than competent QB getting him the ball. P5 talent everywhere like usual too.

With all that being said, until they show up in Hershey(CV), and put together a competent game plan instead of trying to out athlete teams, my confidence will always be shaky with them in title games. It seems like they get down on the scoreboard and then have no clue what to do. They had no idea what to do last year to get back into the game and all the while they had a Georgia recruit in the backfield.

If Denmark is NOT eligible, they probably still have enough talent to get to the chip, but that lack of elite weapon may be the difference to a team that has better coaching

I don’t see how he’s eligible. He’s a transfer after his sophomore season, and I don’t think he meets any of the exceptions to postseason ineligibility.

Here are the exceptions he has to meet:

a. A transfer following a local child welfare agency approved change in residence;

b. A school-initiated administrative transfer within a school district;

c. A transfer following a court order directing such transfer or
change in residence;

d. A transfer caused by a military reassignment of a parent;

e. A transfer caused by release from a juvenile facility;

f. A transfer following a school’s decision to terminate its
interscholastic athletic program;

g. A transfer following a bona fide change of residence resulting from a change in employer of a parent;

h. A transfer following an involuntary substantial change in financial condition and resources that compels withdrawal from a school.
Documentation required: documents showing (1) a substantial reduction in family income and, (2) that tuition assistance was sought and denied or was insufficient to overcome the substantial reduction in family income.

i. A transfer occurring after a school closes;

j. A transfer resulting from bullying, harassment, or other misconduct directed at the student.
Documentation required: (1) written corroboration from persons unrelated to the student and/or the student’s family that the alleged misconduct occurred, and (2) a letter from school administration that confirms the student timely sought assistance of appropriate school personnel to address such misconduct and that the school agrees that a transfer was appropriate.

k. A transfer because of violence, or a threat of violence, directed against the student.
Documentation required: copy of the police and/or school report(s) of the incident(s). A general assertion of dangerous conditions in a school or community will not support a request under this provision.

All the residency requirements won’t apply, because he’s going to/from two non-catchment schools in Philly (one obviously private). I know there have been rumors about grades, which notably does not provide an exception.

I want to preface this next comment by saying this is all speculation that I found on other message boards. I havent seen anything concrete so again, just speculation.

But the "rumor" I have seen posted is that Denmark was struggling academically at Roman. He was approached by officials at Roman and told he had to sign some type of "contract" that said he had to reach certain milestones to continue to be eligible on the field. It was said that he failed to hold up his end of the bargain and was actually kicked out of Roman.

Now, my question is this... if a kid transfers to a school because he was asked/told to leave his previous school, could he be eligible in the postseason? Does that change the equation for the PIAA? Or is it once you leave School A for any reason, you are NOT allowed to play in the postseason for School B?

Again, just rumor and message board chatter that I came across on the internet

Edit... we hit post at the same time Rover so I apologize if you answered the question after you posted the requirements

I don’t think that would make him eligible at his new school. I’ve also heard that rumor, which is why I wrote the thing about grades at the end (not that you saw, I know). There are not academic exceptions - it’s all reasons for relocation, financial, or bullying.

I’m acutely aware of the academic part because I helped out a coaching staff on an appeal for an Easton kid (non-football) with academics being the central issue (involving NYC public school closures and COVID, weird fact pattern) - but the PIAA essentially said to us that discouraging kids from “intentionally failing to retain eligibility” was a major guardrail that they were incredibly strict on, so I don’t see them budging on the issue.

Reactions: Aragorn and newport
I hope he’s eligible but if I had to bet I wouldn’t think it would go through. He does make a difference but is it enough to get over PR? Idk PR seems strong again. Imhotep had no answer to last year’s PR offense. Denmark will put stress on any defense but if they can’t stop PR like last year I’m not sure it’ll matter much.

I've seen a couple of Imhotep's games over the years. Until their coaching ramps up considerably, they will need quite the talent advantage in order to compete with the best teams. They are very basic and not particularly well schooled in technique. If they run up the field per usual against a team like P-R, they will be gashed. However, I can easily see them stacking the LOS and playing C0 against P-R's almost existent pass game and do pretty well by sheer numbers alone.

Here are the exceptions he has to meet:

a. A transfer following a local child welfare agency approved change in residence;

b. A school-initiated administrative transfer within a school district;

c. A transfer following a court order directing such transfer or
change in residence;

d. A transfer caused by a military reassignment of a parent;

e. A transfer caused by release from a juvenile facility;

f. A transfer following a school’s decision to terminate its
interscholastic athletic program;

g. A transfer following a bona fide change of residence resulting from a change in employer of a parent;

h. A transfer following an involuntary substantial change in financial condition and resources that compels withdrawal from a school.
Documentation required: documents showing (1) a substantial reduction in family income and, (2) that tuition assistance was sought and denied or was insufficient to overcome the substantial reduction in family income.

i. A transfer occurring after a school closes;

j. A transfer resulting from bullying, harassment, or other misconduct directed at the student.
Documentation required: (1) written corroboration from persons unrelated to the student and/or the student’s family that the alleged misconduct occurred, and (2) a letter from school administration that confirms the student timely sought assistance of appropriate school personnel to address such misconduct and that the school agrees that a transfer was appropriate.

k. A transfer because of violence, or a threat of violence, directed against the student.
Documentation required: copy of the police and/or school report(s) of the incident(s). A general assertion of dangerous conditions in a school or community will not support a request under this provision.

All the residency requirements won’t apply, because he’s going to/from two non-catchment schools in Philly (one obviously private). I know there have been rumors about grades, which notably does not provide an exception.
I don't think either Stewart or Smith at SJP would meet these criteria either.

Stewart will be eligible bc of the reason he left here. I believe it falls under “G”.
I don’t think change of residence would matter going from a private school to another private school that is blocks away. Bona fide change of residence means he has moved into a new school district from his old one.

That rule is for the Justin Goheen “my dad took a job in Pittsburgh and I moved across the state before junior year” situations to stay playoff eligible.

I don’t think change of residence would matter going from a private school to another private school that is blocks away. Bona fide change of residence means he has moved into a new school district from his old one.
I say G but back when he left it was talks that parents employer changed and sjp was their destination.

So were assuming hes ineligible? Honestly asking bc I havent heard or seen anything either way

Question for anyone, do you need to purchase tickets for the distict 12 championship games on line or does that begin next week ? thanks
Can you purchase tickets at the gate for saturdays D-12 5A and 6A finals at Northeast. ?

Been a little under the weather but I wanted to share my thoughts on the Tep vs Roman game. Imhotep scored first, Roman ripped off the next 3 scores. The two teams traded scores and then Imhotep took control midway through the 4th and scored with under a minute left to take the lead. What a tremendous high school football game that featured some big time talent. Roman has played Imhotep tough the last two years losing by one score in each. Imhotep makes plays when the matter most. My feeling is that the two best teams in 5A played in this game and Imhotep has the makeup to win it all this year.

Watching Peters Township and I could be wrong, but Imhotep should roll them.
The refs are throwing flags for holding often when Tep has big gains. They are trying to keep it close imo ancould do the same against Peters.

Peters has too many guys up front going both ways. They throw a lot which they do well but the QB seems to be just ok. Maybe the weather? Peters is not good running the football. I think Imhotep will put pressure on the qb when it matters most and Peters will struggle with Imhotep speed.

Reactions: lilromeo
Peters has too many guys up front going both ways. They throw a lot which they do well but the QB seems to be just ok. Maybe the weather? Peters is not good running the football. I think Imhotep will put pressure on the qb when it matters most and Peters will struggle with Imhotep speed.
yer right- a fierce pass rush by tep might hurt Peters- but- Peters is extremely well coached- they will anticipate that, scheme and adjust, gonna be fun to follow

The refs are throwing flags for holding often when Tep has big gains. They are trying to keep it close imo ancould do the same against Peters.
C'mon romeo, you're one of the good ones on this board. However, are you really complaining about the officiating when it was 34-7 at the half? So without the holds it would be what, 49-7...56-7??? If we went back to 4 classes, would like to see Tep and SJP play. That might be the only semi-competive game east of the Susquehanna if it ever came to fruition. (large classes only)

yer right- a fierce pass rush by tep might hurt Peters- but- Peters is extremely well coached- they will anticipate that, scheme and adjust, gonna be fun to follow
It will be fun to follow. I just don’t see a way Peters can do it. Imhotep is also well coached.

C'mon romeo, you're one of the good ones on this board. However, are you really complaining about the officiating when it was 34-7 at the half? So without the holds it would be what, 49-7...56-7??? If we went back to 4 classes, would like to see Tep and SJP play. That might be the only semi-competive game east of the Susquehanna if it ever came to fruition. (large classes only)
Based off of the last four years unfortunately Imhotep would get left out to dry playing St Joe’s Prep. That’s including this years version of both teams. Going forward the gap may close some.

Based off of the last four years unfortunately Imhotep would get left out to dry playing St Joe’s Prep. That’s including this years version of both teams. Going forward the gap may close some.
A Tep-SJP eastern final would be 100% more interesting than either Tep-SH or CBS-SJP. Is Tep really well coached? Maybe this year? They should probably have 3-4 state titles, not one. It all started with our buddy from Neshaminy blowing the game in 2014.

Reactions: Stalker
Peters was very fortunate to come out with a win. They lost their composure several times throughout this game. They can't do that versus Imhotep and expect to be competitive.

A Tep-SJP eastern final would be 100% more interesting than either Tep-SH or CBS-SJP. Is Tep really well coached? Maybe this year? They should probably have 3-4 state titles, not one. It all started with our buddy from Neshaminy blowing the game in 2014.
I agree that sjp v tep would be more competitive but having played them both. Sjp mercy rules them also. Athletically tep is the deepest in the state. Coaching and scheme separates sjp by at least 3 scores minimum.

Reactions: new2pa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT