ADVERTISEMENT

Brackets are set

not_a_fan

May 7, 2011
So who will come out on top? Toughest path or easiest path to Cumberland Valley (doesn't have the same ring as Hershey)? Which teams are sleepers to get through?

6A?
5A?
4A?
3A?
2A?
1A?

Reactions: bucksftball
So who will come out on top? Toughest path or easiest path to Cumberland Valley (doesn't have the same ring as Hershey)? Which teams are sleepers to get through?

6A?
5A?
4A?
3A?
2A?
1A?
Ok, here goes- from D-7, WPIAL, / Western PA / Pittsburgh area... my info is best from 3 to 6, I am not great-informed for 1 and 2. so, here goes, I will give "our 3 best" then my prediction of our "winner" then most likely to "make it" to state final. these are not "seedings" but these are my rankings.

3A-
1- Belle Vernon- has great talent w Martin, but also supporting cast- 3A not as rough as past years, so they might go far
2- Avonworth- has experience, battle-tested, won d7/WPIAL in 2019
3- Elizabeth Forward- good record, but not battle tested- reg season, got crushed by BV
winner- Belle Vernon

4A-wow- the winner here will win State, imo
1-Quips- awesome in many ways, talent, coaching, experience
2-Central Valley
3-Thomas Jefferson
Could be like 2-3 other great teams, not even make WPIAL final, ie McKeesport, West Allegheny, etc
winner- Quips

5A-
1- Pine-Richland- good experience, good coaching- they have fixed many early-season problems
2- Bethel Park- good year, good team, but not playoff battle-tested
3-Upper St Clair (dark horse)
winner- PR

6A-
1- North Allegheny- good year, but not battle-tested, minimal playoff exp by players
2- Mt Lebanon- great coaching, battle tested, defense has been awesome recently, has only allowed 3 points TOTAL over the last 3 weeks
3- Pittsburgh Central Catholic
winner- Lebo

Likelihood to win States, by rank order
4A- Quips- play, likely win States
3A- Belle Vernon- may make to State final, not sure they will win
5A- PR- not sure will make it past ECP
6A- not enough competition, only 5 total teams in D7- unlikely to get past first round in state playoffs

Every year it seems like District 1 gets stuck with many rematches in round 1. I wish there was some human element involved with the seeding. CBE and CBW just played 3 days ago and are playing again Friday. Coatesville-DTE just played 10 days ago. More rematches with OJR-PV and Pennsbury-NP. A Perk Valley-NP game would be much more intriguing by just a little tweaking IMO. CBW could play Coatesville and CBE play DTE. It will probably never happen, but just putting in my $.02

I will say Pennsbury has a very favorable draw into the championship game.

Every year it seems like District 1 gets stuck with many rematches in round 1. I wish there was some human element involved with the seeding. CBE and CBW just played 3 days ago and are playing again Friday. Coatesville-DTE just played 10 days ago. More rematches with OJR-PV and Pennsbury-NP. A Perk Valley-NP game would be much more intriguing by just a little tweaking IMO. CBW could play Coatesville and CBE play DTE. It will probably never happen, but just putting in my $.02

Completely agree, it really is not fun that the teams are replaying teams that they have recently played, also agree w/ Pennsbury draw.
Is the WR #23 Yazeed Haynes from North Penn eligible to play since he transferred in this year? Also curious if there are any other player not eligible for playoffs as well?

Completely agree, it really is not fun that the teams are replaying teams that they have recently played, also agree w/ Pennsbury draw.
Is the WR #23 Yazeed Haynes from North Penn eligible to play since he transferred in this year? Also curious if there are any other player not eligible for playoffs as well?
Shitty - According to Nate Heckenberger of the Daily Local - Dean Hanger WR of Dtown West ineligible for playoffs due to transferring in from Malvern Prep (I thought only Catholic and Private get transfers?)

Judge/Lasalle played Saturday. They will also play this wknd in the first round.

Shitty - According to Nate Heckenberger of the Daily Local - Dean Hanger WR of Dtown West ineligible for playoffs due to transferring in from Malvern Prep (I thought only Catholic and Private get transfers?)
They're not called transfers, they are simply called the starting line-up. I kid, I kid, it's just "one of the factors.:

6A?
5A?
4A?
3A?
2A?
1A?
New; Many used to say Chocolate Town (or Hershey) in District 3 but I get your point. In time people might come to say Chapman or Chap for Chapman Field or ‘going to CV’, Mechburg for Mechanicsburg or any number of iterations. Chapman Field and its environs is a good place but I’ll miss the majesty of the crumbling Hershey Park Stadium.

Relayer; I hear you on rematches that are often boringly prevalent (definitely dangerous!) in the districts with good teams. This year sees 50% of 6As repeating in D3.

Last edited:
New; Many used to say Chocolate Town (or Hershey) in District 3 but I get your point. In time people might come to say Chapman or Chap for Chapman Field or ‘going to CV’, Mechburg for Mechanicsburg or any number of iterations. Chapman Field and its environs is a good place but I’ll miss the majesty of the crumbling Hershey Park Stadium.

Relayer; I hear you on rematches that are often boringly prevalent (definitely dangerous!) in the districts with good teams. This year sees 50% of 6As repeating in D3.
District 1 6A final four should be Garnet valley - Coatesville and Pennsbury - Perk Valley. I think Coatesville - Pennsbury will be the D1 championship game. I'll take Pennsbury as the champ
District 1 5A is really only a two team tournament. Upper Dublin - Strath Haven in the final. I'll take upper Dublin as the champ.

Not a great scenario for CB West, to ask them to knock off a very good East team, on the road, two weeks in a row. On the other hand, looks like East will be without their star Ethan Shine…

That’s huge bucks. Did shine get hurt in the last game? Is it me or does easts offense not have much of an identity?

That’s huge bucks. Did shine get hurt in the last game? Is it me or does easts offense not have much of an identity?
I think the identity is to use the big bodies up front to open holes for Shine. He got hurt in the first quarter against West. Had trouble getting back on his feet, but after coming out for a few plays, came back into the game until late third quarter. He was finally pulled at that point with a concussion.

I see where unfortunate seeding has 6A-SOL essentially eliminating themselves in the bottom bracket with 7-Soud vs 10-CBS; 3-Pbury vs 14-NP and 6-CBE vs 11-CBW.
Just now looking at D3 where half of 6A are rematches as per Relayer thoughts. Going to be a shootout there.

Huge is an understatement. I had East as the sleeper and taking it all. East is big and physical had a great back and tremendous pass attack, QB and receivers. Bucks squads are taking themselves out. When was the last time all three hit districts?

District 1 6A final four should be Garnet valley - Coatesville and Pennsbury - Perk Valley. I think Coatesville - Pennsbury will be the D1 championship game. I'll take Pennsbury as the champ
District 1 5A is really only a two team tournament. Upper Dublin - Strath Haven in the final. I'll take upper Dublin as the champ.
BJ: I agree with on Upper Dublin in 5A. They've played well all year with a great group of senior leadership. QB executes quite well. You maybe right with them meeting SH in the finals.

Reactions: BJMaher
wpial predictions

6A Lebo - they seem hot right now and none of these teams really stand out among each other so they're my pick

5A PR they made some adjustments and seem to be the team to beat after bad start, their wins against NA and Central are more impressive than any other 5A teams wins, they would be favored in 6A and i can't really say that about any other 5A team

4A Aliquippa they are the most talented team and are the defending champs, but something seems a bit off they are undefeated but I expected them to be more dominant, they struggled with good but not great West Allegheny and were losing to Central Valley until star running back Bret Fitsimmons got hurt, if they don't win WPIAL i would consider them to be one of the most disappointing teams ever but until proven otherwise they should be favored

3A Belle Vernon absolute lock no other team in 3A can compete with them, the class is extremely weak they won't be tested until state playoffs

2A Steel Valley they would've won last year if not for key injuries, they should be favored but not heavily favored

1A Bishop Canevin defending champs and most of the team is back

BJ: I agree with on Upper Dublin in 5A. They've played well all year with a great group of senior leadership. QB executes quite well. You maybe right with them meeting SH in the finals.
Agree as well. Upper Dublin would compete for 6A this year as the only teams I think would give them trouble are GV, Pennsbury, and Coatesville. QB is excellent and they play fast, agressive defense. Stover has done a nice job with that program.

Strath Haven is very good also but they didn't play GV so have they been battle tested like UD? Clancy is a HOF and will never be outcoached. Their old school wing-t is almost impossible to duplicate in a week.

After that, I can't see anyone else in 5A upsetting either of those two.

Although looking at the bracket, could be some good potential matchups later with Upper Dublin/PW or Upper Dublin/Chester or Strath Haven/Rustin in a rematch of last year's 5A Championship game that was an instant classic. PW could give teams trouble with their triple option and Chester will be a tough out if QB is fully healthy & a stingy D.

Agree as well. Upper Dublin would compete for 6A this year as the only teams I think would give them trouble are GV, Pennsbury, and Coatesville. QB is excellent and they play fast, agressive defense. Stover has done a nice job with that program.

Strath Haven is very good also but they didn't play GV so have they been battle tested like UD? Clancy is a HOF and will never be outcoached. Their old school wing-t is almost impossible to duplicate in a week.

After that, I can't see anyone else in 5A upsetting either of those two.

Although looking at the bracket, could be some good potential matchups later with Upper Dublin/PW or Upper Dublin/Chester or Strath Haven/Rustin in a rematch of last year's 5A Championship game that was an instant classic. PW could give teams trouble with their triple option and Chester will be a tough out if QB is fully healthy & a stingy D.
Yeah, would have been great to see Garnet Valley - Strath Haven this year. Would have been a good barometer of how good each team is. Garnet valley probably wins that game because they always do. I think they're 11 and 1 all time against Haven. Cental league was really weak this year, so it's a shame the two best teams didn't play each other.

Obviously I gave way too much credit to Coatesville and Pennsbury as both teams lost in the first round. Also don't think I've given enough credit to Garnet Valley, as they seem to get better every week, although they don't have any special players.

Reactions: bucksftball
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT