ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL Playoff Discussion

is this a serious question? nobody was calling SV "best team ever" or even thinking they could win the state
BP - that was me. I definitely meant "BEST SV TEAM" ever. Not best best if that's how it came across. They clearly weren't.

Seneca Valley was overrated because they had a few college prospects, they had plenty of better teams

PR has been very good no matter who their coach is, all of those coaches got a boost in reputation by coaching there

I also blame Mike White, Lehmeier is a North Hills guy just like him and Mike took care of his hometown guy giving him a lot more praise and publicity that I've never seen any other high school coordinator get
I'm not sure if I blame White, but definitely because he knew Lehmeier, he talked more about him in the paper in a positive light.

Seneca Valley was overrated because they had a few college prospects, they had plenty of better teams

PR has been very good no matter who their coach is, all of those coaches got a boost in reputation by coaching there

I also blame Mike White, Lehmeier is a North Hills guy just like him and Mike took care of his hometown guy giving him a lot more praise and publicity that I've never seen any other high school coordinator get
P-R wasn't good for that 5 year stretch when they first moved up to 4A. Altimus had lost his way or whatever. He was on the downside of his career. Maybe 2008-2013 P-R didn't have a winning record. Then Coach K came in and got things going again. We'll see what happens in the future. Seems like they have a decent QB, but are gonna needed to rebuild the lines and find some skill. Will be interesting for sure.

P-R wasn't good for that 5 year stretch when they first moved up to 4A. Altimus had lost his way or whatever. He was on the downside of his career. Maybe 2008-2013 P-R didn't have a winning record. Then Coach K came in and got things going again. We'll see what happens in the future. Seems like they have a decent QB, but are gonna needed to rebuild the lines and find some skill. Will be interesting for sure.
yeah they took some time to adjust to 4A, but it would've helped a lot if he had the same caliber players that PR has had over the past decade

you don't just develop a Ben Dinucci or Phil Jurkovec, timing was not on Clair's side

is this a serious question? nobody was calling SV "best team ever" or even thinking they could win the state
I’ll try and compare them

You have to consider the hype seneca got in the summer of ‘22. Mike White did a piece on them asking if it was there year, then the comparison was made to ‘21 Lebo due to the navy commits Seneca had. Then, some posters on here predicted them being the runner-up behind St. Joes. It was common sentiment to have them as one of the top dogs for that year. Then they went and missed the playoffs in a 5 team league…

This Central team was called by many people to be the greatest wpial team ever. And honestly, for the first 5 weeks they looked like it. They were mercy ruling everyone. Then they took on pine and got exposed. Then the lost in the final.

With all that being said, I’d say 2023 central was more overrated, but Seneca also isn’t off the hook

I’ll try and compare them

You have to consider the hype seneca got in the summer of ‘22. Mike White did a piece on them asking if it was there year, then the comparison was made to ‘21 Lebo due to the navy commits Seneca had. Then, some posters on here predicted them being the runner-up behind St. Joes. It was common sentiment to have them as one of the top dogs for that year. Then they went and missed the playoffs in a 5 team league…

This Central team was called by many people to be the greatest wpial team ever. And honestly, for the first 5 weeks they looked like it. They were mercy ruling everyone. Then they took on pine and got exposed. Then the lost in the final.

With all that being said, I’d say 2023 central was more overrated, but Seneca also isn’t off the hook
i don't think anybody other than nerds like you and me will remember 2022 Seneca Valley, Central Catholic will be remembered similar to Gateway 2008 is remembered today, a team being called "the best" before they won anything

Mike White did pick them to play for the state title that preseason, it was a surprise they missed the playoffs for sure but when they lost in week 3 or so to Canon Mac i think most people forgot about them

i don't think anybody other than nerds like you and me will remember 2022 Seneca Valley, Central Catholic will be remembered similar to Gateway 2008 is remembered today, a team being called "the best" before they won anything

Mike White did pick them to play for the state title that preseason, it was a surprise they missed the playoffs for sure but when they lost in week 3 or so to Canon Mac i think most people forgot about them
Might aswell get the ball rolling for the 2024 season, Canon-Mac will beat st. Joes prep in the final

Might aswell get the ball rolling for the 2024 season, Canon-Mac will beat st. Joes prep in the final
tiger- i think you are kidding with this silly comment- but you made a similar comment last year- spring of 2022- saying NA "would be SJP in the state final"

I know. I was just a year too early in my prediction- *wink wink*
NA is good but I don't think they are great. They don't have an unbeatable feel to them like lebo and PR did. You said yourself PCC was overrated and they blew out NA. I'll be pulling for them the rest of the way but I'm not sure they'll even make it to CV and no one in 6A matches up against that traveling all star team out east.

NA is good but I don't think they are great. They don't have an unbeatable feel to them like lebo and PR did. You said yourself PCC was overrated and they blew out NA. I'll be pulling for them the rest of the way but I'm not sure they'll even make it to CV and no one in 6A matches up against that traveling all star team out east.
PCC was overrated due to people calling them the GOAT wpial team, but they were still a pretty good team regardless. You’re right though one week at a time

PCC was overrated due to people calling them the GOAT wpial team, but they were still a pretty good team regardless. You’re right though one week at a time
Ill be pulling for all the local teams so I'm rooting for NA. I hope I'm wrong. They are very good and talented but they don't have that unbeatable feel like lebo and PR or this year's sjp has.

Ill be pulling for all the local teams so I'm rooting for NA. I hope I'm wrong. They are very good and talented but they don't have that unbeatable feel like lebo and PR or this year's sjp has.
agreed- i dont love NA but i will be rooting for them- hope they go far

Ethan Pillar ran for 300 yards against Central, it was obvious at that point there was something seriously amiss with the Central defense... To me the most overrated player at Central is Speca. I saw him play against NA his freshman year and he had a huge game in that win. The last 2 years he has steadily regressed. He was almost invisible against NA this time around. He will have a hard time getting on the field at Penn State, he is way behind Aliquippa's Cameron Lindsey, another 2024.

I think Penn-Trafford and Pine-Richland each taking out Imhotep Charter the last 2 years already showed that having a lot of D1 offered players doesn't mean you're unbeatable.

Reactions: new2pa
NA, were some really calling PCC the GOAT? I missed that! Guess they haven't been around too long, or, like many have said on here, it ain't about D1 players.

I wish NA luck and feel they're underrated. And a weirdly slumping and now defeated State College is out of the way.

NA, were some really calling PCC the GOAT? I missed that! Guess they haven't been around too long, or, like many have said on here, it ain't about D1 players.

I wish NA luck and feel they're underrated. And a weirdly slumping and now defeated State College is out of the way.
Yeah a lot of people were crowning this PCC team around Pittsburgh before they did anything. A local sports reporter does weekly Q and A’s, and a lot of question were asked if this PCC team was the GOAT- and his answer always was that “we had to wait until the end of the season to call them that” which I definitely agree with

Also this is an anecdotal story- a few months ago I was at a coffee shop in the city, and I overhear a guy with all central gear on talking about how great central is gonna be this year. He said they were the best team in the state with all the talent they have. He might’ve been a coach now that I think about it. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but I think he “drank the kool-aid” among others around here

Reactions: Stalker and new2pa
this Central team reminds me of 2002 Miami when people were asking "could they beat an NFL team?", they couldn't even beat Ohio State

or USC in 2005 when ESPN did a nightly segment asking could they beat 95 Nebraska or any other great college team from the past, if I remember correctly 95 Nebraska was the only college team the panel thought would beat USC... then USC lost to Texas

a similar thing was done with the 2007 Patriots, who lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl

you can't call a team "best ever" before they win the championship, and that is what many people around the wpial were doing with this Central Catholic team, even after the loss to PR, it was really bizarre

though i have to say I do think that Patriots team is the best ever

here's a thought

if Bob Palko got the Central Catholic job, which he allegedly applied for, would they be the champs right now?

here's a thought

if Bob Palko got the Central Catholic job, which he allegedly applied for, would they be the champs right now?
I can’t imagine a palko coached defense as bad as centrals was this year, so I’m going to unfortunately say yes they would be champs, with a shot at challenging SJP

Yeah a lot of people were crowning this PCC team around Pittsburgh before they did anything. A local sports reporter does weekly Q and A’s, and a lot of question were asked if this PCC team was the GOAT- and his answer always was that “we had to wait until the end of the season to call them that” which I definitely agree with

Also this is an anecdotal story- a few months ago I was at a coffee shop in the city, and I overhear a guy with all central gear on talking about how great central is gonna be this year. He said they were the best team in the state with all the talent they have. He might’ve been a coach now that I think about it. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but I think he “drank the kool-aid” among others around here
I was one of the ones that was big on PCC but no one can crown anyone goat status before the seasons done. Way to much football left. I feel like anyone in 6A is beatable this year except prep. They are on a different level.

Does anyone else think Cole Sullivan might be a better tight end then linebacker?

Does anyone else think Cole Sullivan might be a better tight end then linebacker?

My $0.02. Hes going to but on 60-75# end up with his hand on the ground as a DE. When I saw the NA QB outrun him for the TD, that was my first thought. His Dad is a monster so he has the genetics.

My $0.02. Hes going to but on 60-75# end up with his hand on the ground as a DE. When I saw the NA QB outrun him for the TD, that was my first thought. His Dad is a monster so he has the genetics.
yes, accurate

he may not be the best LB, NOW, but he is a great prospect- big frame, good genes, he could play ILB, OLB, DE, TE, based upon how he grows and develops in 3-4 yrs
I think he his a good linebacker but he doesn't drop anything as a tightend. He has the frame to be one at Michigan too. I could see DE. I felt like he was centrals best player and stepped up in big games.

Centrals defense was too slow and I think their high end players were too muscle-bound to move well. As seen by the last 70 yard td run by Kushner, he was simply faster than any of the PCC players

LFG NA is moving on to the semis with an unrelenting victory, not much to say, just dominate first half against McDowell, next up harrisburg

Also nice job peters

LFG NA is moving on to the semis with an unrelenting victory, not much to say, just dominate first half against McDowell, next up harrisburg

Also nice job peters
agreed- awesome by Peters- they can win the next one- maybe can win it all.

NA- also- awesome- but Harrisburg is different, gonna be a dog fight, but i think NA is more battle- tested this year than last year, ill say NA win 28-27

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT