ADVERTISEMENT

Battle of the Vests-Beck vs. Infante

d1football1

Mar 26, 2009
Should be a great game Saturday night. Please keep recruiting out of this thread. Let's talk about the game.

.. I have only seen Prep play once this year, early on and Swift was not playing much..have been to most of NPs games...

It looks like it's shaping up to be a great game. The only "like" opponent both teams have had is Lasalle, but I think it's hard to use that game as a gauge of the possible outcome.. the LaSalle-Prep rivalry is huge and the games are played with a ton of emotion and PCL bragging rights on the line.

So looking at coaches, both are top HS coaches, that preach fundamentals type football.. basically move your opponent against their will to a place you want them to be.. Beck is straight out of the Pettine mold (I wouldn't be surprised to see Cary or maybe Pettine hanging around somewhere both life long friends with Beck).. NPs traditional ground attack has been open up a tad this year..to include a smig of passing.. also Beck has been able to slow down a teams top player in the past.. but I'm not sure he has faced a player like swift before.. even when they played CB south a couple of years ago.. they won the game but Josh Adams (Notre Dame) still had close to 300 yards.. and Prep is a much better balanced team then south was.

NPs interior D play has dramatically improved from the LaSalle game.. this past weekend the starting MLB #3 went down with a hamstring pull and the kid that filled in for him did a great job #55.. hopefully #3 is back.. I would love to see both of them in at the same time in Beck's 4-4 package..also having #3 and #32 in at TE adds another dimension to their new found passing game..

What concerns me most about NP is the penalties.. they last three games they have had way to many personal fouls.. against GV they had 3rd and deep 3 times.. gave a PF for a 1st down and GV continued to score.. if they give Prep that type of advantage it will be a short night for the Knights..as the clock will be running early.. also the last two weeks they have had 21-0 leads in the first Q only to let their opponent back into the game.. not sure if it's a loss of focus or are other coaches adjusting very quickly..

in summary:

Coaching - even
Passing: NP
Run game: Prep
D: even
Speed: Prep - I don't think anyone on the field can keep up with Swift.. although NP has some speed with receivers...could be closer then I think
Game changing factor: "penalties" if NP cannot stop the personal fouls in critical situations they have no chance to be competitive!

Vest - I think it gives Beck a slimmer look and goes nicely with Khaki's

Final outcome: this is the best team I have seen NP have in years.. unfortunately it's also the best Prep team in a number of years add to the mix an SEC bound RB..as much as I would like to see NP win the game.. Prep by 10 points..

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo
.. I have only seen Prep play once this year, early on and Swift was not playing much..have been to most of NPs games...

It looks like it's shaping up to be a great game. The only "like" opponent both teams have had is Lasalle, but I think it's hard to use that game as a gauge of the possible outcome.. the LaSalle-Prep rivalry is huge and the games are played with a ton of emotion and PCL bragging rights on the line.

So looking at coaches, both are top HS coaches, that preach fundamentals type football.. basically move your opponent against their will to a place you want them to be.. Beck is straight out of the Pettine mold (I wouldn't be surprised to see Cary or maybe Pettine hanging around somewhere both life long friends with Beck).. NPs traditional ground attack has been open up a tad this year..to include a smig of passing.. also Beck has been able to slow down a teams top player in the past.. but I'm not sure he has faced a player like swift before.. even when they played CB south a couple of years ago.. they won the game but Josh Adams (Notre Dame) still had close to 300 yards.. and Prep is a much better balanced team then south was.

NPs interior D play has dramatically improved from the LaSalle game.. this past weekend the starting MLB #3 went down with a hamstring pull and the kid that filled in for him did a great job #55.. hopefully #3 is back.. I would love to see both of them in at the same time in Beck's 4-4 package..also having #3 and #32 in at TE adds another dimension to their new found passing game..

What concerns me most about NP is the penalties.. they last three games they have had way to many personal fouls.. against GV they had 3rd and deep 3 times.. gave a PF for a 1st down and GV continued to score.. if they give Prep that type of advantage it will be a short night for the Knights..as the clock will be running early.. also the last two weeks they have had 21-0 leads in the first Q only to let their opponent back into the game.. not sure if it's a loss of focus or are other coaches adjusting very quickly..

in summary:

Coaching - even
Speed: Prep - I don't think anyone on the field can keep up with Swift.. although NP has some speed with receivers...could be closer then I think
Game changing factor: "penalties" if NP cannot stop the personal fouls in critical situations they have no chance to be competitive!

Final outcome: this is the best team I have seen NP have in years.. unfortunately it's also the best Prep team in a number of years add to the mix an SEC bound RB..as much as I would like to see NP win the game.. Prep by 10 points..

I have seen both teams play this season. I have seen NP early on against LaSalle and then again two weeks ago against Coatesville.
NP CAN win this game. I don't think they will but they certainly can win the game. They have the talent to do so.
NP can not win this game by trying to outscore SJP. They will need to control the clock with short passes that keep the sticks moving. SJP can hang 60 on the scoreboard without putting the ball in the air at all.
Close game in the 4th and you don't know how SJP responds. They have not played a close game all season.

in summary:

Coaching - even

SJP has also had some problems with penalties this year--especially on the defense. If my memory is correct, they were penalized a fair bit more than LaSalle was both times they met, with LaSalle's drive that resulted in their second TD in game #2 being sustained twice by interference calls against the Prep. And it certainly seemed SJP was penalized more than Parkland on Saturday.

Also, while McCray has thrown just one interception all year (remarkable given that he averages about 20 passes a game) there have been screw-ups with snaps that seem to come in bunches (e.g. Bosco and Parkland).

An obvious key for the Prep will be how their passing game is working. In a few games (e.g. Wood and the second LaSalle game) it took a while for McCray to get on target. If he has decent time and is reasonably accurate, it's hard to see the Prep not putting up 35+ points.

To piggyback from something CYO mentioned about prep not having close games..I know in-league they handled teams easily .. does anyone have any input on their big games (Bosco, Oaks etc)? where they close then pull aways.. or did prep have control early on and keep rolling? I was hoping to see if I could get a gauge.. with the playoffs being one and done it takes on a different type of pressure...

this is a tough one.. half of me wants to see the game live. but the other half wants to watch it streamed to see what we can't see from the stands..

in summary:

Coaching - even

Nice post with good analysts Just my opinion St.Joe's has more size up front which could be a problem for NP having said that if St. JOE S DON'T GET TO NP quarterback he will pick them apart should be very interesting also who scores first could also be a huge factor

To piggyback from something CYO mentioned about prep not having close games..I know in-league they handled teams easily .. does anyone have any input on their big games (Bosco, Oaks etc)? where they close then pull aways.. or did prep have control early on and keep rolling? I was hoping to see if I could get a gauge.. with the playoffs being one and done it takes on a different type of pressure...

this is a tough one.. half of me wants to see the game live. but the other half wants to watch it streamed to see what we can't see from the stands..

In the game against Oaks Christian, the Prep pulled away in the second quarter. Bosco was pretty close. Bosco was deep in Prep territory with a couple of minutes left, looking to make it a 2 or 3 point game, but they turned it over on downs. I'd certainly call the Wood game a close one. The Prep didn't put it away till the middle of the fourth quarter on Waller's run. (Swift was in for just a few plays against Wood.) Also, I'd say the second LaSalle game was close till the fourth quarter. What's certainly true is that the Prep hasn't played any game where the result was uncertain in the final two minutes. Not sure it's much different for North Penn.

In the game against Oaks Christian, the Prep pulled away in the second quarter. Bosco was pretty close. Bosco was deep in Prep territory with a couple of minutes left, looking to make it a 2 or 3 point game, but they turned it over on downs. I'd certainly call the Wood game a close one. The Prep didn't put it away till the middle of the fourth quarter on Waller's run. (Swift was in for just a few plays against Wood.) Also, I'd say the second LaSalle game was close till the fourth quarter. What's certainly true is that the Prep hasn't played any game where the result was uncertain in the final two minutes. Not sure it's much different for North Penn.

Thanks for you info...

I watched in person and on. Dvr SJP line is as big or bigger than most D3-D2 lines they have athletes everywhere but the difference is Swift . I would line him up in the deep I formation and feed it 15-20 carries and they win if Infante gets cute like he did last year vs lasalle they could lose .Having watched north penn while I admire what they have done I think they were better equipped last year to beat a team like this.Dont get me wrong if prep isn't at the top of their game Np will jump on them
they can score on anyone and will score on prep .The lines are the difference and thats what wins .

SJP is very big and good on the OL. They have a major advantage here. NP is no doubt a really good team, but IMO they need to be +2 in forcing turnovers and have SJP play too cute offensively, which at times they have done. They like to start games displaying their diversity on offense and sort of using Swift as a decoy. I might want to give NP the bull from the get-go this week. Make that statement at the beginning.

I watched in person and on. Dvr SJP line is as big or bigger than most D3-D2 lines they have athletes everywhere but the difference is Swift . I would line him up in the deep I formation and feed it 15-20 carries and they win if Infante gets cute like he did last year vs lasalle they could lose .Having watched north penn while I admire what they have done I think they were better equipped last year to beat a team like this.Dont get me wrong if prep isn't at the top of their game Np will jump on them
they can score on anyone and will score on prep .The lines are the difference and thats what wins .

Regardless of who you want to win this weekend... go to the USA TODAY link below and vote for your player.. both Udinski and Swift are up for player of the week voting...

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/poll-vote-for-the-super-25-top-star-week-13

Who is the Super 25 Top Star?
Rodney Hall, Cass Tech (Detroit). Threw five TD passes in state championship victory.
Kurt Taylor, Grayson (Loganville, Ga.). Ran for 204 yards and three TDs.
Re-al Mitchell, St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.). Passed for 277 yards and three TDs and ran for 116 yards and the game-winning TD.
Shakobe Harper, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.). Ran for 141 yards and three TDs.
Mitchell Jonke, Allen (Texas). Threw two TD passes and ran for a TD.
Reece Udinski, North Penn (Lansdale, Pa.). Threw for 442 yards and four TDs.
Shawn Robinson, DeSoto (Texas). Passed for 341 yards and three TDs and ran for 119 yards and a TD.
D’Andre Swift, St. Joseph’s Prep (Philadelphia). Ran for 318 yards and two TDs.
Ethan Dedeaux, Liberty (Henderson, Nev.). Ran for two TDs and had a TD catch.
Ace Williams, Mill Creek (Hoschton, Ga.). Had two TD catches, including 64-yarder late in game.
Polldaddy.com

Have seen both play this year. NP is your typical large public with program kids filled through the lineup. They will hit with anyone, but can they do it every single time. One slip up and Swift will be 50 yards down the field before they even know it. Also I don't want to see NP throw up any 50/50 balls. In the SOL and D1 playoffs they got away with a few of those. I don't want to leave that to chance if I am them. Chances are vs. Prep you will have to beat 2 db's for that ball. I agree with Huck, damn the offensive diversity this is high school ball. I would get the horns out early and let that monstrous line and the best RB in Pa. set the tone. If Infante does that, and NP does a few 3 and outs early....especially on incompletes with the clock stopped.....could be a looong one. But if NP throws with strategy, and they get first downs...keeping the clock rolling, this could be a classic. I lean to classic. Prep wins....but escapes with a narrow victory. By the way, Prep kicking is not proven either....that could play a big factor in this.

Having seen both I agree with CYOBALL1. NP can win this game, but if both teams bring their "A games" won't. Personally I feel Beck is the better coach having seen both the last few years coach. I think Beck will exploit Infante's defense and his tendency to blitz and leave the flats open. Despite this I think Prep's OL and DL to be better than North Penn's. I have never seen a QB scramble as much as Udinski has this year vs quality teams and still deliver the ball at the HS level.

Questions I have: Can NP stop Swift and if they can is Greene covered? McCray is a NP kid, how does that impact him? Is Owen Thomas back at ILB this week for NP? Just how fast are Johns and Henley and Dillion can Prep track them down? Does Swift play CB more? He was very impressive vs Parkland.

My take was Prep weeks ago and hasn't changed. But wouldn't mind if I am wrong.
This is a GREAT HS football game. I hope the players and coaches the best and I am going to love every snap.

My 2 cents. If I am NP I am watching LaSalle running game with Madden against prep and trying to replicate that. Thinking quick hitters in passing game ie hitches, bubbles and the newly , hopefully middle screen. Beck needs to change up tendencies with trap and usual screen plays. Last time they played at PW Infante was all over every play call. Np offense much different now so we shall see. Another trick play may come out most likely on kickoff with throwback. Certainly np needs to run , run clock and use short passing game as part of running game, then hit the deep one. Prep issues with snaps, ie qb dropped about 7 against parkland troublesome as extra points. Np Qb also with issues ie 2 pick sixes and fumble recovery for td in last two games. Turnover battle huge as parkland scored 14 or so off them. Who can consistently sustain drives, can np not allow the big play. In the end I give the edge to the best player on the field, which #7 is it?

Another thing or two; running game for np is going to have to hit from shotgun ie counter to Madden that went for td. Parkland I hear 20 carries for - 10 yards. Yikes. Skill position wise I think overall np matches up well. If go empty, tough to contain johns, Henley, Hubler, Dillon and Haynes although Haynes lately has been imitating Claude rains impersonation of the invisible man. Maybe a pick six from him this week. Finally, injuries huge, Thomas injury huge more on off than def, matchup nightmare on offense, and I thought the kid #55 who came in at ilb stuffed gv run nicely and made plays. Ok, good day and good sports and don't spin your webb to tight that you get caught up in it . You just might go craaazzzy

My 2 cents. If I am NP I am watching LaSalle running game with Madden against prep and trying to replicate that. Thinking quick hitters in passing game ie hitches, bubbles and the newly , hopefully middle screen. Beck needs to change up tendencies with trap and usual screen plays. Last time they played at PW Infante was all over every play call. Np offense much different now so we shall see. Another trick play may come out most likely on kickoff with throwback. Certainly np needs to run , run clock and use short passing game as part of running game, then hit the deep one. Prep issues with snaps, ie qb dropped about 7 against parkland troublesome as extra points. Np Qb also with issues ie 2 pick sixes and fumble recovery for td in last two games. Turnover battle huge as parkland scored 14 or so off them. Who can consistently sustain drives, can np not allow the big play. In the end I give the edge to the best player on the field, which #7 is it?

Cover

I think the kid #55. Bevan I think he is also the starting center did a nice job up the middle .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT