ADVERTISEMENT

Wpial looks strong this year entering the playoffs

Hausmann1978

May 5, 2021
Watching Belle Vernon completely beat down McKeesport last night they have to be the favorite to take gold in Hershey. The defending state champs central valley IMO is the biggest favorite in Hershey this year. Don't forget they have a giant win over a great Aliquippa team. Mt Lebanon also has a very good chance of winning it all especially with st Joe's being young and down this year. Plus coach Palko has been there before and will have his team ready. I think the wpial brings home 3 gold's in December. In 5A I don't think anyones standing in governor Mifflins way and 2A Farrell looks equally as strong. 1A is the most wide open in the state.

Reactions: NNFAN
forget western pa football except 1A or 2A. They are weak, Erie has lost big to out of state teams and crushed prep and most schools from the west who played out of state teams have lost. If teams from the east do not win state titles, PA football is worse then I think. St Joe prep, Lasalle, North Penn can all beat Mt Lebanon.

I know this doesn’t win game, but Lebo has that “look” this year. I agree they are weakest 4A/6A teams to come out of WPIAL in a long long time

Remember - from 2012-2019 the WPIAL champ has won or played in the championship, or lost to the champion every year. Covid took PCC out last year.

WPIAL Champ likely has McDowell, Central York (D3??), then PCL champ. Tough road.

Reactions: NNFAN
New, lebo isn't garanteed, they have to play Pcc again and thats no easy task to beat them twice. Especially in the playoffs. North Allegheny always has Pcc number in the regular season but loses comes playoffs. Pcc is a different team in November and they also have a great defense and defense wins in the playoffs. Pcc will come to play. It's not given but lebo has everything in place. A veteran team, that's been clicking, and they couldnt ask for a better leader who's a legend and has been there before. They are going to be a tough out for anyone and my pick right now to win it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: NNFAN and new2pa
Belle Vernon out of 4A is far from weak...they have an explosive offense and a real good defense to go with it...and you for get Central Valley in 3A is returning champs and are just as good...you can have your prep school 6a teams that need to recruit but other than that the East is far from the favorite in the other classes...you seem to forget the West has owned 4a for a while.

Reactions: new2pa
Belle Vernon out of 4A is far from weak...they have an explosive offense and a real good defense to go with it...and you for get Central Valley in 3A is returning champs and are just as good...you can have your prep school 6a teams that need to recruit but other than that the East is far from the favorite in the other classes...you seem to forget the West has owned 4a for a while.
I agree the wpial looks strong this year. Especially in 6A, 4A, and 3A. I think Governor Mifflin will take 5A and Farrell will be tough to beat. 1A is wide open but this is why we play the games. November is when the great teams start to separate themselves from the rest.

New, lebo isn't garanteed, they have to play Pcc again and thats no easy task to beat them twice. Especially in the playoffs. North Allegheny always has Pcc number in the regular season but loses comes playoffs. Pcc is a different team in November and they also have a great defense and defense wins in the playoffs. Pcc will come to play. It's not given but lebo has everything in place. A veteran team, that's been clicking, and they couldnt ask for a better leader who's a legend and has been there before. They are going to be a tough out for anyone and my pick right now to win it all.
Lebo and PCC are by far the top two WPIAL teams in 6a this year. Lebo is senior dominated, PCC has talent and athletes all over the field but plays plenty of underclassmen. This year is Lebo's best chance, they lose tons of two-way players after this season. Will be extremely difficult to get past PCC a 2nd time.

Reactions: bummer01 and new2pa
Saw the entire PCC vs. Lebo game earlier this year. It was PCC mistakes that helped the Blue Devils slowly pull away. After the game resumed the following morning, PCC came out flat and it was game over. They increasingly became frustrated as Mt. Lebo controlled the LOS on offense. If PCC can clean up the penalties and turnovers they can definitely beat Lebo in a rematch. Mt. Lebanon's seniors were 8-1 as freshmen with wins over PCC, Penn Trafford, McKeesport, and NA. Only loss was to Pine-Richland 14-12. Very special senior class.

I know this doesn’t win game, but Lebo has that “look” this year. I agree they are weakest 4A/6A teams to come out of WPIAL in a long long time

Remember - from 2012-2019 the WPIAL champ has won or played in the championship, or lost to the champion every year. Covid took PCC out last year.

WPIAL Champ likely has McDowell, Central York (D3??), then PCL champ. Tough road.
New, we're looking pretty strong top to bottom. Took the season for me to get to that point with so much parity and a plethora of really good, not great teams, who are capable of greatness any given weekend. Not so much confusing as it is complex this year.

6A;
* Central York has gotten nothing but stronger as the team jells from some serious grads but a hell of a skill core base. Blow out of York surprised some of us hard core followers of D3 ball.
* Harrisburg is stocked with skill you may have noticed vs PR although it's matured since then, especially at Qb and defense. Still big depth issues suiting 27-30. Can be explosive (spec teams, receivers) but are more a grinder than historic/typical Cougar teams featuring explosive plays.
* CD East, a lesser version of Harrisburg with D1 talent at wide out, lines. Two Qb system working, both effective.
* Township, too young but look like the team to beat the next 2-3 years, like Harrisburg, well stocked for the next few. 3 point ot loss to Harrisburg.
5A;
* Gov Mifflin wasn't a bad team last year but have no known weaknesses this year. In fact much stronger, quicker with athlete at Qb who can run/pass and 3-4 explosive backs
4A;
* Bishop McDevitt is absolutely loaded with D1 skill players, powerful O-LIne and way underrated talent on D. Frosh Qb already recruited by Michigan and is legit. You'll be hearing about him the next few year. Very young at skill spots like Harrisburg and Township; D1 Rbs and wide outs, a few on D.
3A;
* Wyomissing is legit as shown blowing out Pottsville and Southern Columbia. Superior coach in Bob Wolfrum.
2A;
* York Catholic is a solid team that graduated key backs last year. Good, but could be challenged.
* Columbia, good, explosive dual threat Qb but porous D
1A;
* Steel High got cocky 2 weeks ago losing to Big Spring then recovered last week but lost on a 2-pt conversion at the end to a good Boiling Springs team 29-28. Not as strong as last year (fullback) but all kinds of talent/speed when focused

Bottom line. D3 has potential state champs at 6A, definitely at 5A, 4A and 3A, no surprise if those classifications take gold. 2A and 1A are good but all have obvious weaknesses that are usually exposed somewhere in the postseason process.

Reactions: Relayer and new2pa
Does district 12 play district 7 in the semifinals still or did they change that back?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT