ADVERTISEMENT

which teams would you say were the worst state champions?

Oh if he stuck around he had a chance to do great things but to say he accomplished what render did with only 7 seasons is ridiculous and to say he doesn't belong on the mount Rushmore of wpial coaches is even more asinine. Here's 3 guaranteed render, Novak, and Palko. I'm also just talking the bigger classifications and playoff era because I know Braddock and new castle had a hell of a run way back in the day.
you said state coaches for Mt Rushmore, not WPIAL, i would say he belongs on the WPIAL one but not PIAA

WPIAL Mt. Rushmore would be Cherpak, Palko, Render, and I would say Kasperowich he did more in 8 seasons than Novak ever did with his underachieving in the state playoffs with all that talent

btw every player I knew from Woodland Hills hated him too HAHA

i already listed some in the first post, why can't you list yours?

how do i rank them? based on their amount of wins during the season, competition faced, margin of victory, college level players

some of these teams had one dimensional offenses, the teams that rarely threw the ball or had a non existent passing game I would not rank very high outside of the CB West teams

also the eye test, 2006 USC for example looked small for a state champion in the highest classification

how is it any more of an impossibility than ranking the best teams? it's all mostly opinion and no way of proving one way or the other, it's just an interesting discussion

do you worry about offending some team from 15 - 30 years ago or what? like 10 people read this forum, we're the only guys left on the planet that care about these discussions , if they are offended they should be flattered that somebody on the planet still remembers them lol
You listed 3 teams out of 34 state champs, 1988-2021. McKeesport, USC and Neshaminy.
* You didn't know the particulars of how McKeesport lost to Highlands yet suggested they may be one of the worst.
* You listed USC, saying you didn't know if they had players playing higher, and advanced them as a possibility. They had 6 FBS/FCS and another 4 (or 5, still researching that) Div-2, Div-3 players recruited.
* And I think you got enough pushback to realize there was very little anyone would call weak about Neshaminy's title team.

That's why I asked and others likely scratched their heads what perimeters or measuring systems you were/would use to rank them. Here's my 3; 1988 Pitt CC, 1990 NA, 1994 McKeesport.

You listed 3 teams out of 34 state champs, 1988-2021. McKeesport, USC and Neshaminy.
* You didn't know the particulars of how McKeesport lost to Highlands yet suggested they may be one of the worst.
* You listed USC, saying you didn't know if they had players playing higher, and advanced them as a possibility. They had 6 FBS/FCS and another 4 (or 5, still researching that) Div-2, Div-3 players recruited.
* And I think you got enough pushback to realize there was very little anyone would call weak about Neshaminy's title team.

That's why I asked and others likely scratched their heads what perimeters or measuring systems you were/would use to rank them. Here's my 3; 1988 Pitt CC, 1990 NA, 1994 McKeesport.
Strong disagree on 1990 North Allegheny.

Schedule
Gateway: 55-0
Bethel Park: 27-6
Mount Lebanon: 32-7
Ambridge: 35-7
New Castle: 54-0
Butler: 45-18
Shaler: 38-14
Seneca Valley: 13-13
Highlands: 48-15
North Hills: 28-0
Ringgold: 30-7 (WPIAL First Round)
Kiski Area: 26-7 (WPIAL Semi)
Butler: 9-0 (WPIAL Final)
Erie Cathedral Prep: 35-17 (State Semis)
Ridley: 21-14 (State Finals)

That Cathedral Prep team they beat was ranked #10 nationally by USA Today going into the semis. We all know national rankings are horribly inexact, but they blew away a very good football team in a state playoff game.

It's secretly one of the great backfields of any state champ. I think they're the only team that's ever had three 1,000 yard rushers. Jon Craig played at Richmond, Kevin Rock played at Pitt, and their third back also had a 187-1,103-12 line. Quarterback Paul Failia was an All State pick and went to Notre Dame to play baseball and football (he got drafted by the Angels as a shortstop - great athlete). Then the blocking back was Justin Goheen, who was a Parade All American as a linebacker and went to Notre Dame, where he was a captain as a senior. Their tight ends went to Boston College and Virginia - with Jason Augustino eventually played tackle in the NFL for the Bears. If nothing else, I think they're the best Wing-T team in Pennsylvania, narrowly edging out 1993 Allentown Central Catholic.

Strong disagree on 1990 North Allegheny.

Schedule
Gateway: 55-0
Bethel Park: 27-6
Mount Lebanon: 32-7
Ambridge: 35-7
New Castle: 54-0
Butler: 45-18
Shaler: 38-14
Seneca Valley: 13-13
Highlands: 48-15
North Hills: 28-0
Ringgold: 30-7 (WPIAL First Round)
Kiski Area: 26-7 (WPIAL Semi)
Butler: 9-0 (WPIAL Final)
Erie Cathedral Prep: 35-17 (State Semis)
Ridley: 21-14 (State Finals)

That Cathedral Prep team they beat was ranked #10 nationally by USA Today going into the semis. We all know national rankings are horribly inexact, but they blew away a very good football team in a state playoff game.

It's secretly one of the great backfields of any state champ. I think they're the only team that's ever had three 1,000 yard rushers. Jon Craig played at Richmond, Kevin Rock played at Pitt, and their third back also had a 187-1,103-12 line. Quarterback Paul Failia was an All State pick and went to Notre Dame to play baseball and football (he got drafted by the Angels as a shortstop - great athlete). Then the blocking back was Justin Goheen, who was a Parade All American as a linebacker and went to Notre Dame, where he was a captain as a senior. Their tight ends went to Boston College and Virginia - with Jason Augustino eventually played tackle in the NFL for the Bears. If nothing else, I think they're the best Wing-T team in Pennsylvania, narrowly edging out 1993 Allentown Central Catholic.
I'm talking about how they did in high school....not what some analyst thought they might or might not do in college or how they did at the next level. Your're certainly entitled to your view although I think that angle is WAY overplayed when assessing a high school football team. We're talking high school football here, right?

Last edited:
so Joe Paterno is better than Nick Saban because he has more overall wins lol

just because Central won that state title doesn't automatically mean Render's USC team would've won it, that's why they play the games so he doesn't get credit for that

in 2003 Render said in the Post Gazette he thought the season should end at the WPIAL championships
It does matter especially when you are number one in the state with 400 wins 5 wpial titles and 2 state titles. I think they said he's 23 nationally in wins all time. Oh and players and coaches don't dislike him like you said either and to say Kaspervovich did what render accomplished is asinine too.

I'm talking about how they did in high school....not what some analyst thought they might or might not do in college or how they did at the next level. Your're certainly entitled to your view although I think that angle is WAY overplayed when assessing a high school football team. We're talking high school football here, right?
Ok, so they had an All State quarterback, three 1,000 yard rushers, a 225 pound blocking fullback, and 245 pound all state tight end, and a 255 pound left tackle opening holes in the Wing-T. Defensively, they gave up 8 points per game, had a Parade All American middle linebacker, and an All State defensive end on a defensive line that was 260-255-245-270. In their two games against the best QB in the WPIAL (who at the time was considered one of the best quarterbacks in the eastern United States), they outscored them 54-18, running for 441 yards in one game, and holding him to 11-32 with three interceptions in the WPIAL championship game. They beat the second best team in the state 35-17, and held what was at the time the most prolific passing offense in the modern era to 14 points in the state final. Just on what they did as a high school team, I'd put them in the top half of champs, not the bottom 3.

Reactions: Stalker
Appreciate your view and BradlyPitt's as well but hold to the view that you can't compare these teams. I threw 3 teams out there at a glance with no research of any value since I don't believe it can be done.

You can always list a number of impressive facts that can be well argued either way.
* Eg, did NA have three 1000-yard rushers against a quality schedule?
* They had big players. Many teams had large lineman and running backs, and just as many had lighter faster teams that excelled, winning titles throughout the classifications.

Speed kills. You can't fairly compare today's gazelles to the NA's and CB West's of that time? You can make up a list on what amounts to informed guesswork, but that's all in my view. WAY too many intangibles. And that's fine, have at it!

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo

i didn't realize i had to rank all of them, i mean that would be interesting but i don't recall them all being ranked in any of the "best teams" threads

mckeesport had two losses, sorry i can't remember all the particulars from way back in 2005, even if they were backups or JV i still would've bet on Mckeesport winning against an average at best Highlands program

I wasn't impressed with USC outside of the state title game the times I saw them, and I think that was more Liberty stinking than USC being great, even if they had guys that played at the next level on paper they are still very unimpressive for a state title team at the highest level

Neshaminiy had everything go right for them against Woodland Hills, including their best player Steve Breaston getting hurt, as Rover pointed out their margin of victory wasn't great but maybe they played great competition, I don't know I just made a suggestion i don't claim to know everything about any team that is on the opposite side of the state from where I live

but thank you for listing the teams you considered to be the worst

I know people in Mckeesport consider the 94 team to be better than 2005

It does matter especially when you are number one in the state with 400 wins 5 wpial titles and 2 state titles. I think they said he's 23 nationally in wins all time. Oh and players and coaches don't dislike him like you said either and to say Kaspervovich did what render accomplished is asinine too.
they do dislike him, how do i know? they told me with their own mouths, why that is offensive to you I will never understand, i promise Render doesn't care about you as much as you care about him

Kasper has just as many state titles in 8 years coaching, and only one less wpial title, that's more impressive to me than what Render accomplished in 40+ years, Render looks like a compiler in comparison

coaches don't dislike him? well Art Walker Jr has been open about his dislike for him, oh and reporters don't like him either so that's one more thing for you to be angry about lol

I know Jack Mccurry liked Render but most coaches hated him too LOL

they do dislike him, how do i know? they told me with their own mouths, why that is offensive to you I will never understand, i promise Render doesn't care about you as much as you care about him

Kasper has just as many state titles in 8 years coaching, and only one less wpial title, that's more impressive to me than what Render accomplished in 40+ years, Render looks like a compiler in comparison

coaches don't dislike him? well Art Walker Jr has been open about his dislike for him, oh and reporters don't like him either so that's one more thing for you to be angry about lol

I know Jack Mccurry liked Render but most coaches hated him too LOL
Post the link where I can read about art walker Jr comments that shows his dislike for render and which players told you out of their mouths?

I've known Render for 2 decades. The stuff about his players hating him is a crock.
100% the guys a legend and donated a ton of his time to his players and got a lot of student athletes colleges paid for. Bradlypitt likes to talk out his ass. He's the same guy that said central valleys players dope and the school recruits. I don't know why I even argue with this dude.

100% the guys a legend and donated a ton of his time to his players and got a lot of student athletes colleges paid for. Bradlypitt likes to talk out his ass. He's the same guy that said central valleys players dope and the school recruits. I don't know why I even argue with this dude.
every coach who coached as long as Render will always have dissenters. Hell, read Nick Saban's biography and he's got his share too. But, Render was a phenomenal coach who's peers payed him the most homage. You had to beat USC back in the day because Render's teams rarely beat themselves. They were disciplined, tough, and always had a great plan.

Post the link where I can read about art walker Jr comments that shows his dislike for render and which players told you out of their mouths?
lol i'm not listing the players by name, funny you want me to do that but think it's out of line to say anything about Central Valley and the rumors surrounding them

i don't know how to find the art walker comments, if you care that much why don't you look for them?

why is this so offensive to you?

I've known Render for 2 decades. The stuff about his players hating him is a crock.
so his players tell me they don't like him, but Render tells you his players like him LOL

and you know him how? you have always claimed to know everybody in high school football, steel

those rich kids don't need Render to pay for anything, and he never did pay for anything

donated a ton of his time? that was for his benefit not theirs

i don't know why i argue with you, you are a typical 2022 snowflake

those rich kids don't need Render to pay for anything, and he never did pay for anything

donated a ton of his time? that was for his benefit not theirs

i don't know why i argue with you, you are a typical 2022 snowflake
Good one, must be a hell of a coach because most people dont think rich white kids can ball. Isn't that what you said?

Last edited:
lol i'm not listing the players by name, funny you want me to do that but think it's out of line to say anything about Central Valley and the rumors surrounding them

i don't know how to find the art walker comments, if you care that much why don't you look for them?

why is this so offensive to you?
I did look for them and can't find them because they don't exist so why don't you help me out here

I did look for them and can't find them because they don't exist so why don't you help me out her

it bothers you, you find them

not every old newspaper quote or article is readily available online, so I guess you will just have to keep thinking I woke up today with the goal to say "mean things" about Jim Render or Central Valley or whatever

so his players tell me they don't like him, but Render tells you his players like him LOL

and you know him how? you have always claimed to know everybody in high school football, steel

I'm sure Coach Render has former players that didn't like him. EVERY coach has players that don't. But, I've been around him and his former players enough to know that he was highly respected and if he needed something the majority of them would be there for him at the drop of a hat.

I know him how? - I'm a HS coach - that's how.

I'm sure Coach Render has former players that didn't like him. EVERY coach has players that don't. But, I've been around him and his former players enough to know that he was highly respected and if he needed something the majority of them would be there for him at the drop of a hat.

[/QUOTi guarantee they all respect him. Bradlypitt just throws crap out there without backing anything up.

What you call mean things I call made up crap.

where do you coach? in the WPIAL?

you know players that liked him, i know players that didn't

List of winningest coaches in PA football history.

Maybe I missed something, but I can’t find bob palko on this list. He’s gotta have over 200 wins at this point
Yea- crazy- i do not see Palko's name- big oversight there- i just googled- from Fall 2021...

"This was Palko’s 27th season coaching high school football and has a career record of 243-81. This year’s WPIAL championship was Palko’s ninth, tying him for the most in WPIAL history. This was his second PIAA title, winning his first one in 2001 with West Allegheny."

Compared to that list, that puts Palko him in top 10 current active. Jeez- the list has Cherpack at TJ, and being "retired?" Wonder if he knows that??

Regarding all of the debate on this thread over "who likes who" all of the these HCs have big egos, are very competitive. Coach more than 5 years, and someone is "not gonna like you.' they care about winning much more than being "nice and likeable"

and the topic of "bad state champions" is kinda silly. I would say, that lots of WPIAL coaches, programs and schools, did not really CARE about a state championship for the first few years (late 80s)- some did not even go- some said "no thanks." I kinda think, it really was not a "big deal" until maybe 20 years ago? thoughts?

and the topic of "bad state champions" is kinda silly. I would say, that lots of WPIAL coaches, programs and schools, did not really CARE about a state championship for the first few years (late 80s)- some did not even go- some said "no thanks." I kinda think, it really was not a "big deal" until maybe 20 years ago? thoughts?
This is very true. I had a conversation with Neil Gordon around 25 years ago and asked him if he thought his team was flat vs. Lower Dauphin. He said "without question." He said "our players play at 3 Rivers in front of all of Western PA then a few weeks later travel to Hershey." He said "Hershey is the icing, the WPIAL title is the cake." He wasn't alone in that mindset. I don't think it was until CB West went on their run until the 4A programs started valuing the state title game like the eastern schools did.

it was pure insanity for any WPIAL coach to think a WPIAL title was more important than a state title

are we sure they were being honest? sometimes people downplay things they feel are not realistic for them to accomplish

the east dominated the state title for about 10 years so maybe that's what WPIAL coaches were doing when they claimed the state title wasn't important

I mean Mr. Likable Nice Guy Jim Render said in 2003 after Central kicked their butts that they should end the playoffs after the WPIAL, but then in 2006 he knew he had a team with a legit shot at a state title and told his players "nobody outside the WPIAL cares or knows what that is, but everybody knows what a state title is"

it was pure insanity for any WPIAL coach to think a WPIAL title was more important than a state title

Why? I'm from Eastern PA and everyone out there knew the WPIAL's history and tradition. It was solidified in 1988 when the WPIAL sent their #2 team and still won the state title.

are we sure they were being honest? sometimes people downplay things they feel are not realistic for them to accomplish

So - Gordon who just coached a team to the state title in dominating fashion was downplaying that his team was more "up" for the game at 3 Rivers then Hershey?

the east dominated the state title for about 10 years so maybe that's what WPIAL coaches were doing when they claimed the state title wasn't important
Render, Gordon, McCurry, etc were all saying it before CB West went on their run. I do think though that some of the WPIAL teams began to lose during the District 1 reign they were frustrated that they were losing to schools that were much bigger than theirs - N. Penn, Neshaminy, etc, they might have built in excuses.

Why? I'm from Eastern PA and everyone out there knew the WPIAL's history and tradition. It was solidified in 1988 when the WPIAL sent their #2 team and still won the state title.

So - Gordon who just coached a team to the state title in dominating fashion was downplaying that his team was more "up" for the game at 3 Rivers then Hershey?

Render, Gordon, McCurry, etc were all saying it before CB West went on their run. I do think though that some of the WPIAL teams began to lose during the District 1 reign they were frustrated that they were losing to schools that were much bigger than theirs - N. Penn, Neshaminy, etc, they might have built in excuses.
1988 was the first year of the tournament, when else did teams from the WPIAL refuse to play in the state title game? not USC as they were willing to play in it the next year

the WPIAL's history and tradition is irrelevant outside of the WPIAL, literally nobody cares, I can't believe anybody was truly foolish enough to believe a WPIAL title was better than a state title

that's on Gordon for not getting his kids up for a state title game, maybe they waited too long to fire him, and just for the record the state title game was not at Hershey

yes they were built in excuses because they knew their chances of winning state titles again were slim, Gordon and Mccurry never won a WPIAL title again so a state title was not possible, Render was crying in the locker room after the win against Liberty and said he didn't think this would be possible again

1988 was the first year of the tournament, when else did teams from the WPIAL refuse to play in the state title game? not USC as they were willing to play in it the next year

the WPIAL's history and tradition is irrelevant outside of the WPIAL, literally nobody cares, I can't believe anybody was truly foolish enough to believe a WPIAL title was better than a state title

Bullshit. There was a major perception and rightfully so that the WPIAL was the best football in PA and still a hotbed when the state tournament began. "Better" is a subjective word. Prestige and perception are more accurate assessments of the value of a title. It's no different then when the Americans had to wrestle in the Tbilisi Tournament in Georgia vs. wrestling in the Olympics. If you ask any American from that era they will tell you that the Tbilisi tournament was way more challenging and to hold that title it held more prestige. The perception wasn't the same because that tournament wasn't covered in the states. It's also no different then winning a Midlands title in the 80's/90's vs. winning an NCAA title. In those days, if you competed in Midlands you were often facing Olympic and World Team members mixed in with collegiate wrestlers.

that's on Gordon for not getting his kids up for a state title game, maybe they waited too long to fire him, and just for the record the state title game was not at Hershey

It's not on Gordon. The kids were playing in Altoona against an opponent that might've had a .500 record in the Quad East.

yes they were built in excuses because they knew their chances of winning state titles again were slim, Gordon and Mccurry never won a WPIAL title again so a state title was not possible, Render was crying in the locker room after the win against Liberty and said he didn't think this would be possible again

You're missing the point. Gordon, Render, McCurry had that mentality before the West ever started losing. In the preseason, these coaches were bringing in the likes of Massillon and such to compete with. Western PA through the Brandon Short/Arrington years was still considered a major hotbed for recruiting. I'll have to ask Jim about crying in the locker room saying "this won't be possible anymore" after Liberty game. I'm having dinner with him this week.

The only thing the WPIAL coaches knew is that in 4 classes they would be often paired with schools that had 3x the enrollment they had. I know flat out that Palko and the AAA coaches knew that they would be relevant from 1A-3A because there weren't huge disparities in #'s like you saw in 4A at that time.

Bullshit. There was a major perception and rightfully so that the WPIAL was the best football in PA and still a hotbed when the state tournament began. "Better" is a subjective word. Prestige and perception are more accurate assessments of the value of a title. It's no different then when the Americans had to wrestle in the Tbilisi Tournament in Georgia vs. wrestling in the Olympics. If you ask any American from that era they will tell you that the Tbilisi tournament was way more challenging and to hold that title it held more prestige. The perception wasn't the same because that tournament wasn't covered in the states. It's also no different then winning a Midlands title in the 80's/90's vs. winning an NCAA title. In those days, if you competed in Midlands you were often facing Olympic and World Team members mixed in with collegiate wrestlers.

It's not on Gordon. The kids were playing in Altoona against an opponent that might've had a .500 record in the Quad East.

You're missing the point. Gordon, Render, McCurry had that mentality before the West ever started losing. In the preseason, these coaches were bringing in the likes of Massillon and such to compete with. Western PA through the Brandon Short/Arrington years was still considered a major hotbed for recruiting. I'll have to ask Jim about crying in the locker room saying "this won't be possible anymore" after Liberty game. I'm having dinner with him this week.

The only thing the WPIAL coaches knew is that in 4 classes they would be often paired with schools that had 3x the enrollment they had. I know flat out that Palko and the AAA coaches knew that they would be relevant from 1A-3A because there weren't huge disparities in #'s like you saw in 4A at that time.
steel- you are spot-on

BP- you are off base, sorry

Many WPIAL teams, either considered, or did say no thanks to PIAA tourney in 88, 89 , 90, 91- and again, its more than "just about gordon." WPIAL school Boards, parents, etc did not want to "extend their season" cuz it cost money, kids were tired, etc. And, again, in the 70s and 80s, going "east" was like going to play "worse teams" compared to WPIAL- this is esp true in the lowest levels, 1, 2 and 3A. Now, yea 4A was different.

Did anybody actually opt out other than Upper St. Clair in 1988? I know that first season schools had to declare that summer whether they’d participate or not - it was a known thing if you were willing to participate in the four team bracket if you got a spot. North Hills I think also opted out, but they got upset in the first round of the WPIAL playoffs.

To echo what somebody said earlier - Penn Hills also could have been flat in that 1995 championship game because Lower Dauphin in unquestionably the worst 4A/6A finalist in tournament history. I’m sure they saw them on film once and were pretty confident.

Bullshit. There was a major perception and rightfully so that the WPIAL was the best football in PA and still a hotbed when the state tournament began. "Better" is a subjective word. Prestige and perception are more accurate assessments of the value of a title. It's no different then when the Americans had to wrestle in the Tbilisi Tournament in Georgia vs. wrestling in the Olympics. If you ask any American from that era they will tell you that the Tbilisi tournament was way more challenging and to hold that title it held more prestige. The perception wasn't the same because that tournament wasn't covered in the states. It's also no different then winning a Midlands title in the 80's/90's vs. winning an NCAA title. In those days, if you competed in Midlands you were often facing Olympic and World Team members mixed in with collegiate wrestlers. It's not on Gordon. The kids were playing in Altoona against an opponent that might've had a .500 record in the Quad East. You're missing the point. Gordon, Render, McCurry had that mentality before the West ever started losing. In the preseason, these coaches were bringing in the likes of Massillon and such to compete with. Western PA through the Brandon Short/Arrington years was still considered a major hotbed for recruiting. I'll have to ask Jim about crying in the locker room saying "this won't be possible anymore" after Liberty game. I'm having dinner with him this week. The only thing the WPIAL coaches knew is that in 4 classes they would be often paired with schools that had 3x the enrollment they had. I know flat out that Palko and the AAA coaches knew that they would be relevant from 1A-3A because there weren't huge disparities in #'s like you saw in 4A at that time.

I don't care what anybody claims what the perception was, it was absolute insanity to think a wpial title was better than a state title, I guess with some people truly think the world begins and ends with Pittsburgh

maybe Penn Hills wasn't as good as advertised in 95, wouldn't be the first time somebody claimed to be "flat" or some other excuse because they didn't quite dominate an opponent they thought was much inferior

yes ask Jim, or you could just find the Post Gazette article that quoted him saying that

dinner with him? where at? how is that happenening with you living so far away? Are you back in Churchill?

the WPIAL and Palko didn't win a 3A title until 2001, which is 13 years after the tournament began so what caused that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT