ADVERTISEMENT

SJP

I'm pretty sure BP is without coach and possibly AD. This might explain the vote being one short.

Going to two divisions was inevitable with the new changes. It makes sense in that you don't have to go out and find 5/6 N-L games. Frank knows the deal. Regardless of division set-up he has to get through Wood. They already play Judge/Roman. Yea, playing SJP/LS could be an added physical strain in some years, but they have done that already. And maybe doing so prepares them more for a clash with Wood at season's end.
Anyone know if they decided to keep the semi-final round in the 6A playoffs? With six regular season league games, it would further limit teams' abilities to schedule out-of-league games if they have to set aside 8 weeks for league games. (I'm not talking about trying to find a non-league game in November but about not having to start league play until the very end of September.)It's as if they are going from one extreme to another. I'd be OK with semis if there were more than four teams in the class.

Wood voted against? That is surprising. Are you sure that is right Irish. I think that must be a misprint.

Wood voted against? That is surprising. Are you sure that is right Irish. I think that must be a misprint.
Is hard as it may seem to believe its 100% correct. Does not want to have to play both LaSalle and SJP in the regular season.

Anyone know if they decided to keep the semi-final round in the 6A playoffs? With six regular season league games, it would further limit teams' abilities to schedule out-of-league games if they have to set aside 8 weeks for league games. (I'm not talking about trying to find a non-league game in November but about not having to start league play until the very end of September.)It's as if they are going from one extreme to another. I'd be OK with semis if there were more than four teams in the class.

Yes, 4A will have a two week playoff.

Yes, 4A will have a two week playoff.
That would mean next year if the 6A PCL "final" is held the weekend of Nov. is held the weekend of Nov. 18/19, the teams in the Red will have to begin league play the weekend of Sept. 30 / Oct. 1 with no bye week before the playoffs begin. If the season begins Labor Day weekend that would mean teams would have four weeks to play all of their non-league games--all over by Sept. 24. Obviously that'll be a big change and will put a strain on, for example, the LaSalle--Malvern and SJP-Malvern series. (Will Malvern want--or be able--to schedule both by Sept. 24?) And both SJP and LaSalle will have to cut back considerably on their out-of-state games. I'm not sure anyone would think one or two of the new Red division games and a semi-final against, say, the lowest ranked of the four 6A teams would be as interesting as LaSalle-Dematha or SJP-St. Joe's Regional.

That would mean next year if the 6A PCL "final" is held the weekend of Nov. is held the weekend of Nov. 18/19, the teams in the Red will have to begin league play the weekend of Sept. 30 / Oct. 1 with no bye week before the playoffs begin. If the season begins Labor Day weekend that would mean teams would have four weeks to play all of their non-league games--all over by Sept. 24. Obviously that'll be a big change and will put a strain on, for example, the LaSalle--Malvern and SJP-Malvern series. (Will Malvern want--or be able--to schedule both by Sept. 24?) And both SJP and LaSalle will have to cut back considerably on their out-of-state games. I'm not sure anyone would think one or two of the new Red division games and a semi-final against, say, the lowest ranked of the four 6A teams would be as interesting as LaSalle-Dematha or SJP-St. Joe's Regional.

LaSalle had 6 non-league games scheduled this year with no bye weeks (McDonogh game cancelled due to weather). The addition of 3 required reg season PCL games means that non-league schedule would likely drop to 3. North Penn seems like a fixture and DeMatha game has deep meaning for both schools. Still leaves room for Malvern.

Doesn't the season start a week earlier next year as an option? I thought that was voted in with the move to 6 divisions.

Doesn't the season start a week earlier next year as an option? I thought that was voted in with the move to 6 divisions.
I remember reading somewhere that teams can play only one scrimmage and, yes, can start the season the weekend before Labor Day weekend. I'm guessing they're also going to have to let camps open a week earlier. I'm not sure this is a good idea. Some smaller schools and weaker programs may have a harder time getting kids to begin serious practice very early in Augusts. Also, heat, as we know, can be really dangerous--much more than cold and a quick scan of news reports will indicate that nearly all the serious "attacks," at least a few of which result in death, in high school football happen in August and early September. It's also going to be hard to regard a game played on, say, August 25th as a real game.

But maybe I'm just too resistant to change. It still seems weird to think of the high school season opening two weeks before the NFL.

My understanding is you do not get an extra week of practice. Everyone will start practice the same Monday in August. You can decide to have two weeks of practice and one scrimmage, with your first game and the end of the 2nd week. Or you can continue to do it like this years calendar - three weeks of practice with two scrimmages , with your first game at the end of the third week which is normally Labor Day weekend. The only catch is if you choose the 2nd option you would only get 9 regular season games. I think most leagues are going with the first option ( one scrimmage / 10 games ).

My understanding is you do not get an extra week of practice. Everyone will start practice the same Monday in August. You can decide to have two weeks of practice and one scrimmage, with your first game and the end of the 2nd week. Or you can continue to do it like this years calendar - three weeks of practice with two scrimmages , with your first game at the end of the third week which is normally Labor Day weekend. The only catch is if you choose the 2nd option you would only get 9 regular season games. I think most leagues are going with the first option ( one scrimmage / 10 games ).
It strikes me as absurd to have a first game, not a scrimmage, after less than two weeks of practice.

Let's face fellas, but most of these teams are working out all spring/summer long. Plus, they'll still have the heat acclimation period, right?

Is it going to be a league decision or a district decision? I would think D1 would want everyone on the same page. I would stay with the 2 scrimmages and play a 9 game RS, Schools can always schedule contingency games to play 10 or 11 games. I would not want the season starting a week before Labor Day with only one scrimmage.

This really won't change much in the SOL with a 9 game RS. The National and Continental go down to 7 teams next year with the departure of Norristown and Upper Merion to the PAC-10. Even with 9 games, schools will still have to schedule 3 non-league games. That's plenty.

I think it's a league decision. The Central League has already voted to go back to a 9 game league schedule with one open date to accommodate a 10 game schedule. I guess a team could opt not to play the non league game and just play 9 games with two scrimmages. Problem with that is if 99% of the teams end up doing the one scrimmage/10 game plan , who would.be available to scrimmage in week 2-most teams would be playing actual games

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT