ADVERTISEMENT

SJP

Tulla my guess is that the 6a's will play against the 6a's and the 5a's will play the 5s. Unfortunately, there will not be a true Red division champ or blue division champ. Don't see any other way.

Tulla, how would you split into Red and Blue divisions?

Tulla my guess is that the 6a's will play against the 6a's and the 5a's will play the 5s. Unfortunately, there will not be a true Red division champ or blue division champ. Don't see any other way.

Archbishop Wood - The 2nd best team in the state - any division

WHICH MEANS THE 2ND BEST TEAM IN THE CITY BY A LONG SHOT - I'd put prep about 6th or 7th in the city!
There's always next year!

Ah yes my long lost friend. I was afraid you disappeared. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Fortunately for most of us, yours usually happens to be incorrect and often inaccurate. This prediction too will come to pass as usual!

Ah yes my long lost friend. I was afraid you disappeared. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Fortunately for most of us, yours usually happens to be incorrect and often inaccurate. This prediction too will come to pass as usual!
Hey prep nerd, I find it telling of your insecurity that when Wood gets nationally ranked it means nothing but yet prep plays the "hardest schedule in the country" (smile) with ranked teams! So which is it, rankings mean everything? or Rankings mean nothing? man you will tell yourself anything, absolutely anything to strut around as the biggest midget in the circus! Can't even win the PCL - wow! out coached by a first year head coach and punched in the mouth by a rebuilding LaSalle team, ouch! Looks like another 5 year run by LaSalle! prep nerd! Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face! You my little nerd just got punched in the face by a team in flux and rebuilding with a first year head coach! But I give you credit personally, for being able to speak up, unlike when you walked the halls of the prep and were too afraid, you've come a looooong way baby!

Hey prep nerd, I find it telling of your insecurity that when Wood gets nationally ranked it means nothing but yet prep plays the "hardest schedule in the country" (smile) with ranked teams! So which is it, rankings mean everything? or Rankings mean nothing? man you will tell yourself anything, absolutely anything to strut around as the biggest midget in the circus! Can't even win the PCL - wow! out coached by a first year head coach and punched in the mouth by a rebuilding LaSalle team, ouch! Looks like another 5 year run by LaSalle! prep nerd! Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face! You my little nerd just got punched in the face by a team in flux and rebuilding with a first year head coach! But I give you credit personally, for being able to speak up, unlike when you walked the halls of the prep and were too afraid, you've come a looooong way baby!

I think his screen name suggests his allegiance is to the Inter Ac.

Reactions: CYOBALL1
Thats ok Paul. FBU82 never misses an opportunity to let a little, or alot of fiction get in his way. I never said anything about scheduling, Wood's is a joke compared to the Prep, or rankings. What is Wood ranked now? He is getting to be like Charlie Brown's teacher, its just alot of noise that kinda doesn't really have any importance or meaning to anyone. Kinda still feel bad for the guy though. I mean to come on this site and shoot off your mouth about how your kids team is the greatest since sliced bread and then watch them lose in the fashion they did must be crushing. Oh well there is always next year! Good news is you can be the second or third best team in the Catholic League again and still get into the state playoffs. No there is something FBU82 can cheer for. Since you no longer have the skirt and pom poms Gordon and Schmidt own, we can just give you a megaphone to use for your BIG MOUTH!!!

If
Thats ok Paul. FBU82 never misses an opportunity to let a little, or alot of fiction get in his way. I never said anything about scheduling, Wood's is a joke compared to the Prep, or rankings. What is Wood ranked now? He is getting to be like Charlie Brown's teacher, its just alot of noise that kinda doesn't really have any importance or meaning to anyone. Kinda still feel bad for the guy though. I mean to come on this site and shoot off your mouth about how your kids team is the greatest since sliced bread and then watch them lose in the fashion they did must be crushing. Oh well there is always next year! Good news is you can be the second or third best team in the Catholic League again and still get into the state playoffs. No there is something FBU82 can cheer for. Since you no longer have the skirt and pom poms Gordon and Schmidt own, we can just give you a megaphone to use for your BIG MOUTH!!!
If I have a big mouth, why in the world would I need a megaphone? - You def went to da prep - dope! You sound illiterate? or just a dope! Maybe next year prep won't be scared to schedule the 3 time, back to back state champ! back to being the dormat of the PCL 4A, LaSalle's little bioch for the next 5 years as b4! If playing an out of state schedule makes you better, why are the prep football players already in their 2 week of basketball practice, once a prep nerd always a prep nerd! All my kids got into college going to high school, It's a shame that your kid needed the extra help from a prep school! Lots of hand holding! ("Preparatory" to assist, to help)! wow my kid is so much smarter than your kid! You must've known your kid was a little different or slower than the other kids, that's why you sent him to a special school that helps and assists! My kid just did it on his own! but don't worry My kid still might give your kid a chance at an interview when your son graduates from West Chester! You're like a large mouth bass diving for that rubber worm! you just can't resist! Was that lesson in last night's 4 hours of nerdwork aka homework? Always get the last word in? INSECURITY! I should be paying you for this entertainment!

Ok so you are going to tell me where I went to high school? Also, I don't have any kids. 3 time what? So Prep beat you to the gym by the week? Does that make you feel like a real man? Face it buddy, I'm under your skin and you can't stand it. As far as an education, please, you have already shown yours pales in comparison. Enough. This is football talk. You want to keep talking your b.s. go ahead.At the end of the day, both teams got shut out and will have to wait till next year. Till then skirt!

It's hard to see the split as anything but seven and seven, so I see the larger school group including SJP, LaSalle, Judge, Roman, Wood, Ryan, and O'Hara. It's possible O'Hara could be in the smaller school group but I'd have to take a look to see which class they're in next year. As I understand it all the other teams I named will be in 6A or 5A.

I know there are advantages and disadvantages to having just two PCL champions next year, but I lean to preferring two to three or four or five or even six. The league championship should mean more than it does now--more like basketball. My two cents.

I happen to agree with tulla. A breakdown into seven and seven seems inevitable. With the 6 classes you may need a subregional or something like that is two teams in same class are even. But considering playoffs would occur...hard to see that be the case..but could happen. Also agree two champions means way more...as will all league and those considerations. As it stands in the single league PCL sports winning a pcl championship means as much or more than a piaa championship.

I'm hearing the PCL is still committed to crowning individual champs in each class on the field. So under your scenario , if a Wood goes undefeated during the regular season , they would simply be crowned Blue Division ( or some division name ) champs. At the conclusion of the regular season , each Class would then hold its own playoff to determine the PCL entry into the District 12 final. So if St Joes finished second behind Wood and Lasalle third , they would have a one game playoff to determine the 6A rep in the D12 title game. Wood would play Ryan for the 5A game, and so on.

I'm hearing the PCL is still committed to crowning individual champs in each class on the field. So under your scenario , if a Wood goes undefeated during the regular season , they would simply be crowned Blue Division ( or some division name ) champs. At the conclusion of the regular season , each Class would then hold its own playoff to determine the PCL entry into the District 12 final. So if St Joes finished second behind Wood and Lasalle third , they would have a one game playoff to determine the 6A rep in the D12 title game. Wood would play Ryan for the 5A game, and so on.
That may well happen, but it would be a shame. It's very possible in a seven-team division that two schools would finish on top with the same record, e.g. 5-1. But if they're not in the same PIAA class, they would not meet in the playoffs and so you'd end up with co-champions of the division and no real division champion decided the way it's always been decided.

I'd rather go with something more like what they do in basketball.

There was a preliminary agreement by the ADs in PCL last week that had Dividion 1 as Judge, LS, Ryan, Wood, Prep, Roman and Carroll - Division 2 is remaining teams. Regular season would determine class representation for PIAA while maintains the PCL league.

There was a preliminary agreement by the ADs in PCL last week that had Dividion 1 as Judge, LS, Ryan, Wood, Prep, Roman and Carroll - Division 2 is remaining teams. Regular season would determine class representation for PIAA while maintains the PCL league.
Roxy, So there wouldn't be a playoff? Or, if the regular season determines the the class rep for PIAA, any playoff results would have no bearing on PIAA rep? Either would seem very strange.

I'm surprised Carroll is now larger than O'Hara, which I assume is a result of O'Hara shrinking rather than Carroll growing.

Roxy, So there wouldn't be a playoff? Or, if the regular season determines the the class rep for PIAA, any playoff results would have no bearing on PIAA rep? Either would seem very strange.

I'm surprised Carroll is now larger than O'Hara, which I assume is a result of O'Hara shrinking rather than Carroll growing.

Another issue is the PCL had a bye before the PCL playoffs started this year. If you do away with playoffs that means you have 3 open weekends before the PIAA playoffs? Of Lasalle's 5 PCL championship game wins over the Prep Lasalle only won the regular season match up in 1 of those years. I guess using the regular season record for PIAA placement was Gabe's proposal.

If this is for football only, how does Carrol compete in a divison like that? They would be the only 4A school in the division and likely to go 0-6 every year. More importantly, if they are going to use regular season records to determine entry into PIAA playoffs, how would you reconcile Caroll going 0-6 in the big school didision versus a Bonner or Ohara going 3-3 or 4-2 in the small school?

Another issue is the PCL had a bye before the PCL playoffs started this year. If you do away with playoffs that means you have 3 open weekends before the PIAA playoffs? Of Lasalle's 5 PCL championship game wins over the Prep Lasalle only won the regular season match up in 1 of those years. I guess using the regular season record for PIAA placement was Gabe's proposal.
But if there are seven teams in each division, there would have to be less time for playoffs and any bye weeks.

I read somewhere--don't recall if it was about a proposed change or an actual change--that teams would be restricted to one scrimmage and would begin the season one week earlier. The season would also end a week or even two weeks earlier because of the increase in the number of categories.

I don't like beginning the season before Labor Day weekend. Most teams need more than 10 days of practice before playing a "real game." As for the PCL, I don't think it's a good idea to put Carroll in the big-school group just for the sake of evening out the divisions. Plus, if Roman stays about as week as they were this past year (which I hope doesn't happen), it'll mean quite a number of non-competitive games. This is not a new problem--when SJP had its run (2001-2005) it had very few competitive games during the RS and only one in a championship game, 2004--but it might be getting worse.

Bottom line: the PCL can't align its divisions and playoff system with the new six class PIAA structure, but it should try to create a playoff system that gives meaning to the the term "PCL Champion" (though that will probably mean there will be two, as in the "Red" and "Blue" days) while serving as a fair and sensible way of determining who goes on to represent the PCL in the PIAA process. I think that aligns me with FB1225 in not wanting, say, a regular season game between SJP and LaSalle, which could be played in late September, determining who goes to the PIAA are the PCL's 6A rep.

From what I understand, the two divisions would break up for post season.

There would be two PCL champions Red and Blue like the prior set up. (determined by the regular season)

The post season each class would break up 6A, 5A,4A,etc.This would be the same playoff format that the PCL has now. However the winner of each class isn't crowned PCL champion, just advance to state playoffs.

This will keep the PCL from dishing out 6 Hubcaps to "PCL Champions".

From what I understand, the two divisions would break up for post season.

There would be two PCL champions Red and Blue like the prior set up. (determined by the regular season)

The post season each class would break up 6A, 5A,4A,etc.This would be the same playoff format that the PCL has now. However the winner of each class isn't crowned PCL champion, just advance to state playoffs.

This will keep the PCL from dishing out 6 Hubcaps to "PCL Champions".
I'm assuming there would be no semi-final round of playoffs, then, i.e. only two 6A teams are in the playoffs.

This is actually being proposed to AD's on Thursday at their meeting. The former 4A's would still have 4 teams make the playoffs, winner moves into states.

The coach isn't the AD. Also, teams will have opportunity to continue to schedule non league games. It maintains the continuity and integrity of PCL for now. If there is a playoff embedded into this as btm stated, then it seems consistent.
1225 - your information is as limited as you are ... Maybe you've entered this thread to learn

This is actually being proposed to AD's on Thursday at their meeting. The former 4A's would still have 4 teams make the playoffs, winner moves into states.
This would not be a good solution, at least for the former 4As. Very rarely has one of the semi-finals produced a truly competitive game. And I think any playoff system with integrity should require teams to clear at least a low bar. The PCL basketball structure has the first 6 of the 14 teams make it automatically into the quarterfinals with the next 4 playing a "play-in game" and the bottom 4 not making it. That gives the top 6 teams a bit of a reward for their accomplishment while having a big enough playoff pool that nearly every team has a shot of making the playoffs till near the end of the season. I realize football is different but if the system you describe is approved, we could have a team that's 0-6 in league games making the playoffs. Does that make sense to anyone?

4 TEAMS would still work at the 6A level. But what about the other classes like 5A where there are only 2 teams? Would a 3-7 Ryan team still make the playoffs and play a 10-0 Wood team for the right to advance?

The coach isn't the AD. Also, teams will have opportunity to continue to schedule non league games. It maintains the continuity and integrity of PCL for now. If there is a playoff embedded into this as btm stated, then it seems consistent.
1225 - your information is as limited as you are ... Maybe you've entered this thread to learn

Roxy I thought Gabe was the Wizard of OzPrep land. But then you could be right that there is someone else behind the curtain. Your right I do learn something new everyday.

As for continuing to schedule non league games at the end of season, most on this board knows there is no one to play because everyone else is in league season play. Trying to fill a couple more weeks will be interesting to watch. But as BTM stated what you were proposing as the new setup was incorrect. There would be a playoff for PIAA placement.

Carroll enrollment has grown. They are 5A with Wood and Ryan. In fact Carroll is bigger than Wood. Carroll at 431, Wood at 425 and O'Hara at 393. Carroll up from 313 last time around and O'Hara up from 391. Shows how silly these numbers are in scheme of things in Catholic League. All about how well you can recruit not how many bodies are in a building.

I propose classifications by budget. I'm a Catholic League guy but this is a total joke pretending like enrollment numbers mean a thing when it comes to putting a good football team on the field at Catholic League level. Who can get players. Period. End of story.

In other news I hear Pat Manzi is proposing a new Catholic League Purple division. It will be Visitation, Our Lady of Mount Carmel Bucks, Corpus Christi, Buxmont Saints, Our Lady of Calvary, St. Genevieve and Bishop McDevitt. Hoping to get that last/next jacket but Buxmont going to be real tough next year and Pat complaining some of these programs have too many kids.

As was said when this whole Red/Blue nightmare began all this will ensure by going Red/Blue is that quite a few teams will eventually blow maybe even most of them. Mission accomplished. Little boy blue horn's been blowing a long time.

Reactions: pclfan1
4 TEAMS would still work at the 6A level. But what about the other classes like 5A where there are only 2 teams? Would a 3-7 Ryan team still make the playoffs and play a 10-0 Wood team for the right to advance?
Yes it could be Wood and Ryan but Carroll is now going to be 5A as well so they have a chance to play in said game.

I'm pretty sure BP is without coach and possibly AD. This might explain the vote being one short.

Going to two divisions was inevitable with the new changes. It makes sense in that you don't have to go out and find 5/6 N-L games. Frank knows the deal. Regardless of division set-up he has to get through Wood. They already play Judge/Roman. Yea, playing SJP/LS could be an added physical strain in some years, but they have done that already. And maybe doing so prepares them more for a clash with Wood at season's end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT