ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2019

I heard it was Miller and King, but same idea.
New- haha. I'm going to agree on Miller and King as you have been dead on with your insight. My lone contribution on any PR post was bringing up Hasley in July or August. I bumped into him/family at AAU baseball. The kid is a really good athlete, big and fast. Best of all he is a heck of a nice kid.

Another shocker for Pine-Richland with the 49-14 win. NA played without Sheridan the entire game, and throughout the game, Hoke and Colon went out. Dinkins did play. From the TV copy, it looked like Colon was actually knocked out and they let him back in the game. Couldn't believe that. Not sure any of that made a difference. When P-R didn't shoot themselves in the foot, they were unstoppable.

P-R's offense was explosive. NA clearly had a plan for Jochem this game, with Dinkins following him and a safety over him as well most of the time. Didn't really matter as the other guys stepped up, led by Johnson with 2 awesome TD catches. Meckler and Bolin also had long TD's (Meckler catch was incredible) and Miller scored on what looked like the exact play they ran against NA on the goal line last year. Also, a backup had a TD late when P-R looked to be twisting the knife a little in NA. Spencer ended up with 6 TDs and about 350 yards. No INTS. Other big story of the game was P-R's ability to run the ball with Meckler. Well over 100 yards for him. Let's hope P-R's line keeps improving.

The defense was outstanding again. One TD allowed in the first half on a great catch on 4th down and the second TD was in mop up time. P-R's LB's (Miller, Rechenberg, Hasley) were outstanding, and the DL was very solid again. I think DB's played above average and were really tested. NA more or less gave up runing the ball in the middle of Q1 because they couldn't do anything. Probably attempted 25-30 passes, which is not good for them. Their pass game isn't very good. Lots of 1 and 2 man routes.

P-R easily could have had another score before the half, but Meckler's TD on a kickoff return was called back.

So, a third straight trip to Heinz Field. Pretty neat since this is a completely different team in personnel than the one in 17. And a completely different team in scheme from the power running team from last year.

Not sure where NA goes from here. P-R's has beaten them 4 of last 5 times and scored 40+ each time. The kids NA played didn't "look" like the NA kids from 2-3-4 years ago. Dinkins and Colella and Colon are nice players, but after that, they didn't have anything. The crazy thing is that their linemen are just as different than in the past. Not alot of team speed. Crazy for a school twice the size of P-R.

Big game next weekend versus PCC. P-R will be the underdog, but I can't wait to watch!

Gotta wonder what’s going on over there. I know people like to say art walker is a great coach, but countless D1 athletes and transfers over the years since that run and they haven’t been able to break through the semifinals in 8 years. They consistently have around 100 kids out for the team every year so interest in the program is still high over there. They’ve been running the same stuff on offense and defense for 15 years now no matter the personal. They really dropped the ball last year and in 2016 imo, but still just shocking to me. I think this proves PR has one of the best coaching staffs around, they can adjust every year and keep winning no matter the personal.

Reactions: new2pa
It seemed like when all those Steelers kids transferred from North Catholic to NA a few years ago, they might be poised for another run.

For the most part, it seems like the better teams have figured out how to stop their 80’s offense. And defensively, it’s a similar story.

We’ll see how P-R does Saturday, but the staff has done a really good job with this team. OL holding it together and improving, skill taking a huge step up from last year, and defense being great nearly all year. It’s not like they are trotting our 6 or 7 D1 kids.

Reactions: Soup13
Gotta wonder what’s going on over there. I know people like to say art walker is a great coach, but countless D1 athletes and transfers over the years since that run and they haven’t been able to break through the semifinals in 8 years. They consistently have around 100 kids out for the team every year so interest in the program is still high over there. They’ve been running the same stuff on offense and defense for 15 years now no matter the personal. They really dropped the ball last year and in 2016 imo, but still just shocking to me. I think this proves PR has one of the best coaching staffs around, they can adjust every year and keep winning no matter the personal.

I have to agree, ton of talent and transfers. I did not know it has been that long of a drought. Have to adjust and overcome. My gripe with Pgh CC offense.

Reactions: pcc64 and new2pa
3 years of Meckler punt return antics and it finally came back to bite them. I don’t think pcc would’ve scored all game if they hadn’t got that

Well, P-R shot themselves in the foot 5 times. Can't have that many giveaways and expect to win.

The P-R defense was absolutely outstanding. Gave up 1 TD on a fantastic throw and catch and nothing else. Key goal line stand early in the game prevented a start like what happened in game one. Can't say enough about how I saw this group improve. PCC couldn't run the ball at all and only completed a few passes.

The P-R offense was much better than the first time they played. OL was still over-matched but fought hard. Spencer was a playmaker but got bit with a fumble trying to make a play early. Pick didn't look to be his fault - WR's stopped running. Meckler ran hard and had a few very nice runs breaking tackles. Jochem provided a lot of offense with a ton of catches and a great TD. Miller also had key contributions. Drop on huge 4th down by Johnson late killed any chances P-R had at mounting a comeback.

As you said Jacky, the fumble on the punt return was a key moment in the game. P-R had just scored and got a 3 and out and was getting the ball back in good field position with PCC on the ropes. Seemed to me lots of kids played great on the big stage for P-R and some didn't. I guess that's HS kids.

Looking ahead to next year, P-R returns 8 starters on offense including 4 of 5 OL positions, Spencer, Jochem, Miller, Hasley and Johnson. Need to find a RB, but they probably have the best QB and WR in 5A coming back with Spencer and Jochem. On defense they return 5 in Miller, Hasley, King, Jackson and Schweigert. That LB core of Miller and Hasley could be best in state as well.

Very disappointing loss, but the future looks bright. I'll try and provide more details on what's coming back later. Looking forward to playing some new teams though.

Reactions: pcc64 and Soup13
Just saw on twitter that Spencer was WPIAL 6A player of the year.

Saw in the article that he and several of his team mates weren't even voted All Conference. That's unbelievable.

Reactions: lilromeo
Saw the new PIAA numbers/classifications wondering if PR will play up to 6A this year? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sounds like they will not, Coach K is on the record in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette saying it was the administrations decision to play in 5A, no need to play up. I think the previous enrollment numbers for PR was barely met the 6A classification threshold.

That sounds totally different than playing St. Ed's, Wayne and IMG.

Heard the same. I think biggest reason is SJP.

Look for them to keep playing NA and PCC and a good week 0, and back in 6A soon.

Heard the same. I think biggest reason is SJP.

Look for them to keep playing NA and PCC and a good week 0, and back in 6A soon.

Looks like the only thing positive about being in 5A in D7 is Mckeesport dropping to 4A. Otherwise it looks like the Rams have jumped from the frying pan into the fire, leaving NA and Pitt CC (in conference) for Gateway, Penn Traf, Moon, NHills, Bethel, West A, Peters, South Fayette now up, Penn Hills, Woody and USC.

Last edited:
Looks like the only thing positive about being in 5A in D7 is Mckeesport dropping to 4A. Otherwise it looks like the Rams have jumped from the frying pan into the fire, leaving NA and Pitt CC (in conference) for Gateway, Penn Traf, Moon, NHills, Bethel, West A, Peters, South Fayette now up, Penn Hills, Woody and USC.

I don’t think any of those teams compares to having to play NA and PCC twice a year. P-R mercy ruled Moon and shut out Penn Hills last year. Those were two of the three 5A conference champs. It could be a tough regular season week in and week out, depending on who they get in conference though.

I don’t think any of those teams compares to having to play NA and PCC twice a year. P-R mercy ruled Moon and shut out Penn Hills last year. Those were two of the three 5A conference champs. It could be a tough regular season week in and week out, depending on who they get in conference though.
No doubt on NA, PCC. Your last sentence is the point I was trying to make; a lot of wear and tear. I don't imagine USC and Woody will stay down and Peters is definitely working it out with a new emphasis.

Reactions: new2pa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT