ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2019

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
Seems like the Penn-Hills discussion is winding down. Opening this one for all the general chit chat about P-R this year. Thanks.

I agree that not having anyone in the building hurts. I think they did have a coach a few years back but he is no longer with the team. I've always heard that once a teacher gets to a certain "step" its next to impossible to change schools because all schools limit the step that new hires can be at. No idea if that is true, but that is what I hear.

I have not heard anything new on Cerminara either. That is too bad. He was a very good player. Does anyone know what he is looking for? Does he want to play? D3-D2-D1? Is there anyone else from last year's team that wants to play?

Reactions: Soup13
There was early talk of him wanting to play football at the next level. It seems odd that a three starter at LB in PA largest classification with a good football IQ with, good grades is not going to land somewhere.

Word around is that former NFL O linemen Kraig Urbik is gonna be joining the rams coaching staff somewhere on the offensive side of the ball. Trying to find out more info from the spring practices.

On a side note, saw the Meckler kid run today at the PR Invitational, great talent and speed. Great competitor. Hopefully he stays health, track is not a bad option for college entrance......

Reactions: JACKY6996
A lot of recruiting action going around the WPIAL, not much news on the PR front, is it going to be a tough year for the Rams and Coach K?

Seems like a lot of linemen-type kids in 6A. PCC’s entire DL, 2 SV linemen and a LB, and the Lugg kid from NA. Haven’t seen anything I recall about skill kids. But haven’t been keeping close watch.

It will be interesting to see. P-R loses the entire OL so that’s not a good match up for them.

Seems like a lot of linemen-type kids in 6A. PCC’s entire DL, 2 SV linemen and a LB, and the Lugg kid from NA. Haven’t seen anything I recall about skill kids. But haven’t been keeping close watch.

It will be interesting to see. P-R loses the entire OL so that’s not a good match up for them.

I believe collela from NA got an offer from RMU, and meckler has a few as well. I think PR has 3 or 4 juniors that will eventually get offers. Also some big sophomore linemen as well to look out for.

Reactions: new2pa

PCC will be a bear on D with PR the same on O. Interesting contrasts to start the year.

PCC will be a bear on D with PR the same on O. Interesting contrasts to start the year.

If PCC can find some offense and not turn the ball over 5 times a game, I think they will be very tough to beat this season. Could even give sjp a run for their money if it gets to that. That defense is gonna be stout

If PCC can find some offense and not turn the ball over 5 times a game, I think they will be very tough to beat this season. Could even give sjp a run for their money if it gets to that. That defense is gonna be stout
Jacky, here's SJP's write-up posted weeks ago showing the preview section in case you missed. They are LOADED....again.

With Coach Gabe Infante now gone, the new regime inherits almost all of last year’s team that was young throughout the lineup. That’s probably one of the better kept secrets across the state, just how young the Hawks were last year. The offense returns Qb Kyle McCord who threw for 2883 yards at 67% for 35 touchdowns, and receivers Marvin Harrison who had 50 catches for 724 yards, Anthony Rightly and Sahmir Hagans. Running back Kolbe Burrell who rushed for 923 yards is back along with Malik Cooper. They’ll run behind a veteran line that returns nearly intact; Matt McGeary (6-2, 295, sr), Casey Stephenson (6-2, 305, sr), RJ McKee (6-0, 265, sr), Matt Lombardi (6-6, 275,sr) and I believe Anthony Leneghan (6-2, 250, sr….TE?) who starts on the DL where four return. Marquez Mason’s 553 rush yards on 94 attempts and 576 yards in receptions on 41 catches will be missed as well as Johnny Freeman’s 847 yards in receptions on 51 completions. The linebacking corps will be special with Jeremiah Trotter and Liam Johnson, with the DB returning Anthony Rightly. With the front they have, who’s worried about the secondary! Seriously, the DB appears to be the only concern on that side. At the conclusion of the 2018 season, coach Gabe Infante moved on to become an assistant at Temple after 9 years at SJP’s helm, guiding the program to a 91-22 (80.5%) record. Former OC Tim Roken stepped in as head coach. Coach Roken joined the staff in 2010 as QB/WR coach, then OC in 2011 until named assistant head coach in 2012, suggesting the change will be seamless, having the Hawks ready for another run at States.

Was anyone able to go to any of P-R's spring practices? I was not able, but heard some good things yesterday evening about the improvement of the young players.

Do they practice in the summer (before the start of camp)? What does that schedule consist of? How many days are they on the field practicing?

They had spring ball this past week. Helmets only IIRC. I don't know about summer, but I guess they lift and workout all summer.

Summer workouts are 3 days a week plus some 7 on 7 match ups. It seems they will start up right after school ends through the last week of July. It looks like mornings in the weight room and on the field. It looked like some of the young players filled out and are ready to step up.

A lot of recruiting action going around the WPIAL, not much news on the PR front, is it going to be a tough year for the Rams and Coach K?

Update on some NA recruiting, collela recently got an offer from Central Michigan, and anouther upcoming senior Sam Sheridan DE/TE received one from Rhode Island state. Likewise junior Khalil Dinkins TE/LB received two offers from Akron and Toledo. Dinkins is gonna be a major stud from what I have heard. I’d expect NA to be very strong again this year. On paper PR could honestly be the fourth best team in the conference to start the season.

Looks seems like Meckler and Jackson are the players getting most of the attention. It does not seem like there is alot out there on any else, maybe Trent Miller. This is very similar to the trend of recruiting the Pine players.

Hopefully the Rams have some players ready to step up......PCC, NA and Seneca seem to have a bit more talent in 2019. I think Lebo will surprise some folks as well.

Last edited:
I would say that P-R being 4th isn't out of line. But all these teams have some strengths and weaknesses.

PCC: Awesome DLine, but mediocre at best offense
SV: Big and strong, lacking high end talent at skill positions
NA: They will be NA up front, but Colella may be only real weapon they have
P-R: Skill with be top notch, but complete rebuild on OL and interior D
Lebo: Have a few nice OL/DL and Ventrone, but lost QB and best WR. (Maybe Palko gets them over the hump.)

I still haven't had a chance to see P-R in person, but have talked to a couple people that think their skill guys could be the best overall group they have ever had. (I asked - Nobody is close to Jurkovec, but in total very very good.) Will be interesting to see where things end up. I think the team has to be very different than last year and lots of guys are going to have to take on bigger roles (QB and WR's on O, and DL and LBs on D, in particular.)

Personally, I am expecting a lot of shootouts this year.

I would say that P-R being 4th isn't out of line. But all these teams have some strengths and weaknesses.

Lebo: Have a few nice OL/DL and Ventrone, but lost QB and best WR. (Maybe Palko gets them over the hump.)

I still haven't had a chance to see P-R in person, but have talked to a couple people that think their skill guys could be the best overall group they have ever had. (I asked - Nobody is close to Jurkovec, but in total very very good.) Will be interesting to see where things end up. I think the team has to be very different than last year and lots of guys are going to have to take on bigger roles (QB and WR's on O, and DL and LBs on D, in particular.)

Pcc offense this year will depend on how they use their personal imo. They have two big bodies wideouts that are supposed to be very good (Sharod Lindsey, Eric benson) and Luke Robson and dontre Jones both return from injury. Plus the city league kid that transferred in last year returns as well. They return practically the whole OL with two kids that have D1 offers. I’ve heard about an up and rising junior QB that has a good chance at starting over the pieto kid from last year. Their two biggest issues last year were turnovers and discipline. If they can spread it out some and not turnover the ball a billion times a game I think they’re gonna be a tough out for everyone. But wouldn’t be surprised if they are still running the same 5 plays out of the I formation to start the season either.

NA also returns percise colon at RB who’s a big play threat on offense and special teams. They have their QB back as well. Although the Dinkins kid is listed at TE he lined up wide a lot last year as well, not something TE’s usually do in that offense. 6’3 200+ with speed. They’re probably gonna hurt most on defense, their secondary was lockdown last year with porter and melzer and rankin up until the Seneca valley game. Colon played some in the secondary and they return Justus gildon and collela on the backend. I’ve heard they shouldn’t lose a huge step in the LB corps with the younger hoke brother stepping up this year.

Pcc offense this year will depend on how they use their personal imo. They have two big bodies wideouts that are supposed to be very good (Sharod Lindsey, Eric benson) and Luke Robson and dontre Jones both return from injury. Plus the city league kid that transferred in last year returns as well. They return practically the whole OL with two kids that have D1 offers. I’ve heard about an up and rising junior QB that has a good chance at starting over the pieto kid from last year. Their two biggest issues last year were turnovers and discipline. If they can spread it out some and not turnover the ball a billion times a game I think they’re gonna be a tough out for everyone. But wouldn’t be surprised if they are still running the same 5 plays out of the I formation to start the season either.

NA also returns percise colon at RB who’s a big play threat on offense and special teams. They have their QB back as well. Although the Dinkins kid is listed at TE he lined up wide a lot last year as well, not something TE’s usually do in that offense. 6’3 200+ with speed. They’re probably gonna hurt most on defense, their secondary was lockdown last year with porter and melzer and rankin up until the Seneca valley game. Colon played some in the secondary and they return Justus gildon and collela on the backend. I’ve heard they shouldn’t lose a huge step in the LB corps with the younger hoke brother stepping up this year.

Forgot to mention NA returns their sack leader Amosis porter who holds an offer from Nevada state (not 100% sure if that’s the school). He played a DE/pass rushing OLB type role last year.

If they can spread it out some and not turnover the ball a billion times a game I think they’re gonna be a tough out for everyone. But wouldn’t be surprised if they are still running the same 5 plays out of the I formation to start the season either.

They’re probably gonna hurt most on defense, their secondary was lockdown last year with porter and melzer and rankin up until the Seneca valley game. Colon played some in the secondary and they return Justus gildon and collela on the backend. I’ve heard they shouldn’t lose a huge step in the LB corps with the younger hoke brother stepping up this year.

Had to chuckle at that fumble comment...

I did not realize that NA lost all that from their backend.

To me, it seems like this is PCC's year. Senior laden with other teams down a little.

Good point, a lot of shootouts. Here’s the always under rated schedule read, briefly.

• I like PR. But they have to negotiate the things you mentioned plus road trips to PCC, Lebo and SV….but have NA at home. Penn Hills in opener.

• NA has the difficult task of catching PCC, SV and Pine away with Lebo home. Non-conf is brutal tho Friendship (DC) and West A are home.

• PCC has what appears to be the more favorable schedule with York, NA, Bethel and Pine at home; SV and the closer on road at Lebo.

• Mt. Lebanon (Palko!) has a difficult row to hoe (6) with SV, Pine and PCC at home. Gateway in the opener, NA and USC are away.

• Sen Val has PCC, NA and Pine at home, Lebo, Woody away

Many have returning Qbs while others look to be strong….eg Peters and Penn Trafford, especially PTraf who could be special, getting Gateway and McKeesport home, Frank Reg away.

This is objectively preposterous. The skill PR has returning does not compare with the skill it had in 2014, 2015, 2016 or 2017. Luke Miller is the only varsity level receiver they have. QB can’t execute the scheme and was saved last year by a senior line that made up for a lot of bad reads and a senior filled defense - and dominant front 7. 4th Place in the Conference this year is an accurate prediction.

This is objectively preposterous. The skill PR has returning does not compare with the skill it had in 2014, 2015, 2016 or 2017. Luke Miller is the only varsity level receiver they have. QB can’t execute the scheme and was saved last year by a senior line that made up for a lot of bad reads and a senior filled defense - and dominant front 7. 4th Place in the Conference this year is an accurate prediction.

Time will tell about the skill guys. We'll find that out quickly.

I think the rest is a little overblown. Throwing out IMG and looking at NA and SJP, I think there is a lot of blame to go around. in the NA game the defense was torched on QB iso up the middle what seemed like every other play - right at P-R's 3 D1 kids. QB and WR weren't great and that didn't help the cause. But huge play in game was drop by senior WR on ball that QB put in his hands. I think there were a bunch of drops after that but I had already left.

Similar story vs. SJP where they couldn't run the ball at all (or pass for that matter). I personally thought that the defense did great against the run, but the upperclassman secondary got absolutely torched. I honestly don't think they had anyone who could have stopped that WR and QB because P-R's kids just weren't good enough. I thought they played hard, but just didn't have it.

Bottom line is that players have to make plays and at big moments, P-R's couldn't collectively get it done.

In retrospect, I still think it was a heck of a year. Completely different from year before because of talent lost and talent that was returning. Still made it to state semi's and lost to a top 20 team. Expectations are definitely higher around here than in 2013, and that's good. But hard to be angry about last year.

We'll see what happens but I'm excited to hear more about the team this offseason (anybody go to any 7v7's???) and see what the staff does with this group. Which is again very different than the past.

Bottom line: It does seem like 4th is where they should be slotted until we find out anything more about how kids have developed and if any new kids step up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stalker
I saw on twitter P-R went 4-0 at the Notre Dame 7 on 7.

Pine Richland Schedule Read Part-2, 1st half
I like PR’s chances to get off to a strong start, opening with *PHills 16-0, Hempfield 3-7, *Moon 2-8, Butler 0-10, *Norwin 3-7. It’s not without challenges with PH 16-0 in the opener. But….LeDonna should be out game #1 (suspension) and they’re facing a total rebuild. Total! Hempfield returns a lot of bodies and Qb Remaly, *Moon….is Moon with 1 winning season the last 12 years, Butler won fewer games since 2011 (15-60) than PHills last year and hasn’t had a winning season in over 20. Like Hempfield, *Norwin returns some bodies and Qb Salopek who has some skills. That’s about as favorable a start as you can get in the WPIAL, giving them every chance to develop the offense/line and get bodies in the right positions defensively. It’s High School football so who knows, but it looks promising.
*Home.

Reactions: new2pa and Soup13
New - How is the Jeremiah Hasley kid going to fit in ? I met him and the family at an AAU baseball function. Good people. Big kid who can run, plays center field, only a soph. Thx.

I will have to check that out. I'm going to a graduation party this weekend and should find out more about all the kids and how they did at the ND 7v7. I will post.

Learned a little bit over the weekend.

After ND where they went 4-0 and then got rained out, P-R played 7/7 against Farrell, Grove City and ECP. Beat the first two and lost to ECP by "extra points" whatever that means in 7v7. This past weekend, P-R was at Pitt and went 5-1 losing in the championship to some small team from Ohio.

Offensively, the parents and others I spoke with said that P-R was very good. Miller, Jochem, Johnson at WR, Meckler and Schweiger at RB, and Spencer at QB have all improved a lot. Biggest thing is that they are all 15-20#'s bigger and stronger and can get behind people this year. That is something they didn't have the ability to do last season. The 4th WR is between a senior (Bolin) and Junior (Mills) and a Sophomore (???). I guess that position is up for grabs.The biggest play makers were Meckler and Jochem deep and Johnson near the endzone.

Defensively, a senior (Reckenberg) and Miller are playing LB with the third being up in the air between a former safety (Schweiger) and a senior who came back out for the team. Not sure who that would be. Meckler and Boyd are both back at safety. Bolin is one corner and the other corner is up in the air with Mills and another new senior from the basketball team competing for that position. Having a hard time replacing King and Cerminara who were both really good athletes and could cover. Meckler and Bolin have been the two standouts on the defensive side of the ball

The biggest worries I heard from everyone was the OL and interior DL. Complete rebuild on OL and several kids may have to go both ways. Best "big guys" are Miguel Jackson (Jr) and Trent Miller (Sr) who were both DE's last year. After that, no one has any experience. Harrison Hayes (Jr) is the best looking of the remaining group, with Spencer King (Tyler's little brother), Jacob Domer (sophomore), Ethan O'Neil (Senior), Swisher (Jr), and Petorina (Jr) competing for the remaining OL spots. On the DL, all the same guys and Novitski (Sr) are in the mix. I hope that Jackson and Miller don't have to play both ways. They are really good on D and need to be fresh. We probably won't know much until the first scrimmage where the lines have to hit people and tackle people.

Could be a rebuilt year for the Rams.

After ND where they went 4-0 and then got rained out, P-R played 7/7 against Farrell, Grove City and ECP. Beat the first two and lost to ECP by "extra points" whatever that means in 7v7. This past weekend, P-R was at Pitt and went 5-1 losing in the championship to some small team from Ohio.

Offensively, the parents and others I spoke with said that P-R was very good. Miller, Jochem, Johnson at WR, Meckler and Schweiger at RB, and Spencer at QB have all improved a lot. Biggest thing is that they are all 15-20#'s bigger and stronger and can get behind people this year. That is something they didn't have the ability to do last season. The 4th WR is between a senior (Bolin) and Junior (Mills) and a Sophomore (???). I guess that position is up for grabs.The biggest play makers were Meckler and Jochem deep and Johnson near the endzone.

Defensively, a senior (Reckenberg) and Miller are playing LB with the third being up in the air between a former safety (Schweiger) and a senior who came back out for the team. Not sure who that would be. Meckler and Boyd are both back at safety. Bolin is one corner and the other corner is up in the air with Mills and another new senior from the basketball team competing for that position. Having a hard time replacing King and Cerminara who were both really good athletes and could cover. Meckler and Bolin have been the two standouts on the defensive side of the ball

The biggest worries I heard from everyone was the OL and interior DL. Complete rebuild on OL and several kids may have to go both ways. Best "big guys" are Miguel Jackson (Jr) and Trent Miller (Sr) who were both DE's last year. After that, no one has any experience. Harrison Hayes (Jr) is the best looking of the remaining group, with Spencer King (Tyler's little brother), Jacob Domer (sophomore), Ethan O'Neil (Senior), Swisher (Jr), and Petorina (Jr) competing for the remaining OL spots. On the DL, all the same guys and Novitski (Sr) are in the mix. I hope that Jackson and Miller don't have to play both ways. They are really good on D and need to be fresh. We probably won't know much until the first scrimmage where the lines have to hit people and tackle people.

New - Question? USC lost in champ. game at Pitt also to an Ohio team. Did they break it down by class 6, 5, 4, etc?

Soup - I forgot something you asked about. I asked and the Hasley kid is doing well. A "2" at WR and also a backup LB. Long and athletic, but needs to learn some stuff.

They did not break down by classes as far as I know. I think they rank all the teams after pool play and separate into 4 different brackets's. The team P-R played was evidently very small.

Soup - I forgot something you asked about. I asked and the Hasley kid is doing well. A "2" at WR and also a backup LB. Long and athletic, but needs to learn some stuff.

They did not break down by classes as far as I know. I think they rank all the teams after pool play and separate into 4 different brackets's. The team P-R played was evidently very small.

New - Good to hear, sounds like he can contribute in some way next year as a soph.Maybe the had 4 brackets due to the large amount of teams. Thx for the info

New - Good to hear, sounds like he can contribute in some way next year as a soph.Maybe the had 4 brackets due to the large amount of teams. Thx for the info
Right, thx for the insight New. Always tough getting news from the West. Feel PR will have enough firepower and a soft enough schedule to get off to a good start.

The senior that came back out this year is Ryan Geyer, the kid who quit the team last year due to playing time. Any word if he's just playing defense again now or if he'll play in the backfield as well?

I've heard around that trent miller might fit in very well at LB. At a recent pitt camp combine he ran a 4.56 dash, 4.28 shuttle, and broad jumped 9'99. Also won LB mvp at the camp. His freshman year he played receiver/H-back and he started a couple games at guard his sophomore year. He's an intriguing athlete and I definitely could see him making the switch. If the novisitki kid could fill in the other end spot adequately, I could see miller making a switch and being better as a LB then an end. The LB corps wouldn't be a huge weak spot now with Rechenberg and both millers even after losing cerminara and King.

The senior that came back out this year is Ryan Geyer, the kid who quit the team last year due to playing time. Any word if he's just playing defense again now or if he'll play in the backfield as well?

I've heard around that trent miller might fit in very well at LB. At a recent pitt camp combine he ran a 4.56 dash, 4.28 shuttle, and broad jumped 9'99. Also won LB mvp at the camp. His freshman year he played receiver/H-back and he started a couple games at guard his sophomore year. He's an intriguing athlete and I definitely could see him making the switch. If the novisitki kid could fill in the other end spot adequately, I could see miller making a switch and being better as a LB then an end. The LB corps wouldn't be a huge weak spot now with Rechenberg and both millers even after losing cerminara and King.
I have heard a lot of good things about Miller and Rechenberg. Size and speed at LB....

I did not hear anything about the Geyer kid on offense, but he must be the one they are talking about on defense.

It does sound like Trent Miller would be a great LB. It didn't seem like they have enough lineman to make that move though.They would be even more shorthanded than the are now.He and Rechenberg would really fit the bill for the LB's P-R has had. Big thick kids who can run well.

I did not hear anything about the Geyer kid on offense, but he must be the one they are talking about on defense.

It does sound like Trent Miller would be a great LB. It didn't seem like they have enough lineman to make that move though.They would be even more shorthanded than the are now.He and Rechenberg would really fit the bill for the LB's P-R has had. Big thick kids who can run well.

Assuming miller doesn’t have to play OL, Nevan Novistki could take his spot at end from what I heard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT