ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2019

A little update. I heard over the weekend that Jackson has a broken hand. Nothing serious but has not been able to lift for the past few weeks. Also, that Jackson and Miller will be getting hard looks at OL as well as starting at DE. So, the O depth chart looks something like:

WR; Seth Bolin (Sr) 6' 180
WR: Eli Jochem (Jr) 6' 175*
WR: Luke Miller (Jr) 6'1" 190*
WR: D'Avay Johnson (Jr) 6'2" 195*
QB: Cole Spencer (Jr) 5'10" 175*
RB: Luke Meckler (Sr) 5'8" 170*
OT: Harrison Hayes (Jr) 6'3" 250
OG: Miguel Jackson (Jr) 6'1" 235
C: Ethan O'Neill (Sr) 5'11" 245
OG: Trent Miller (Sr) 5'11" 225
OT: ? Swisher (Jr) 6' 240

Still really young on that side of the ball. I hope that they can find someone to play one of the OG positions so that one of those kids can be defense only, but they must not feel like they have anyone yet. Can't help but notice how muich smaller the line is from last year. I guess when you lose 3 FBS and FCS kids plus a 300lb G and a 6'4 270 OT, it shows...

Defense was described to me:

CB: Bolin (Sr)
CB: Levi Wenz (Sr) First year player
S: Chance Boyd (Sr)*
S: Meckler (Sr)*
LB: Josh Rechenberg (Sr)
LB: Luke Miller (Jr)
LB: Caden Schweiger (Jr) or Ryan Geyer (Sr)
DE: Jackson (Jr)*
DE: Trent Miller (Sr)*
DT: Nevin Novitski (Sr)
DT: Spencer King (Jr)

5 Returning starters on O
4 Returning starters on D

Potentially 8 Sr starters on the defensive side of the ball. With Coach K doing the defense now, looks like he is taking the older kids. I still think that up the middle could be a problem for the Rams. The Novitski kid was only about 215 last year which is very small.

I hope all these kids are athletic because they aren't going to be very big. Reminds me a lot of the 2013 team where they took their lumps but a bunch of underclassmen got reps and came back for a big 2014.

Reactions: Stalker and Soup13
Anybody been to the practices this week? I've not heard anything at all.

P-R vs. Woodland Hills scrimmage notes:

P-R offense scored all 4 times they had the ball with starters. Meckler 70yd TD on the first play. Second drive was a lot of quick passes. Third drive included bomb to Jochem. Fourth Drive has 70yd TD to Miller. Schweiger ran well for Meckler who only had that one offensive play. Offensive line is smaller than last year (of course) but looked very athletic. Started Harrison Hayes, Jake Domer, Ethan O'Neill, Trent Miller and John Swisher. Starters were done after about a half a quarter so it was a very impressive showing. Miguel Jackson did not play. Skill players are all much bigger than last year and can really run. Bolin didn't have any catches, but was really good blocking downfield. Rising sophomore Jeramiah Hasley was also excellent all day. Ball security was a problem they are going to have to correct. Didn't hurt them early but lots of fumbles later.

Defense was solid. First team bottled up Woody pretty well except for 1 off tackle run for a TD. They started Trent Miller, Manley, Novitski and ? on the DL. Small but quick. LB's were Rechenberg, Luke Miller and Chance Boyd. Ryan Geyer also got a lot of time. DB's were Meckler, Bolin, Wentz, Schweiger. Woody TE is huge and is a great player. Still have some concerns about the DL and LB's, but it was a good showing. Getting Jackson back should help solidify that area.

P-R vs. Penn Hills

First off, Penn Hills is still loaded with athletes at the skill positions and the back 7 of the defense. Their OL and DL do need to improve IMO. I would suspect they will run the table in their conference and again match up with Gateway, Peters Twp., or maybe Bethel in the WPIAL Semi's.

Lets start with the defense. All of the concerns I raised previously were more or less non-existent. PH couldn't really do much at all. Had maybe one long run and one long pass but that was it. At times it was bend but don't break, but he P-R defense really played well IMO. DL play was adequate with Jackson at DE taking over the game at times. Unblockable and constantly harassed the PH QB. Seemed like LB's (Miller and Rechenberg) were also making a lot of plays so the interior guys must have done well. Mainly Novitski and King at those two spots. The secondary played pretty well also, as the QB from PH was a little better than I expected. I thought overall tackling was better than versus Woody in the scrimmage.

Offensively, P-R got off to a very strong start. Scored on first two possessions on a catch-and-run to Meckler and a long TD to Jochem. After that, they moved the ball consistently, but seemed to stop themselves with turnovers, penalties, or just dumb plays. Spencer was the biggest threat running the ball on zone read plays and is very quick and sneaky fast. Meckler didn't do much running the ball, but must have had less than 10 carries. Miller and Hasley were very solid catching quick passes and Jochem got behind the PH defense a fair number of times. QB missed twice or it would have been more. Johnson looked like he was double covered a lot, but had a huge catch for a first down on their last TD drive. OL did really well pass blocking from what I could tell and I didn't see a lot of run through, but they weren't road grading people like last years group. Different team.

All in all, this team has a ton of talent in the skill position. All those young kids that played last year have grown and improved a lot. If they could get more consistent, they could be dangerous.

Penn hills OL was pretty big but none of those guys could really move or block well. They also looked pretty gassed by the second half. Imo PR might have trouble with these big, but more physical fronts (SV, PCC etc) they run into later on this season. PR would’ve had many more sacks if the penn hills QB wasn’t so elusive. On defense the other kid that stood out to me was the new kid from the basketball team, Levi Wentz. He looked pretty good at corner, guarding the penn hills D1 receiver most of the game. Had a few big tackles and hits. PR’s secondary on defense could have the potential to be the best in the conference, all seniors and all of them made some nice plays.

I think this hempfield team will be a good test for both PR’s lines. Senior dominated team with a lot of returning starters. They also start 5 seniors on the OL with the brose kid committed to Delaware. Average around 6’3 270.

Reactions: new2pa
Just got back from PR vs hempfield. Here are some of my thoughts:

PR offensively was really good tonight. Spencer was on fire, I’m not sure what the official stat line is but he threw 5 Td’s and at least 300 yards. The trio of juniors Johnson, Miller, and Jochem all had great catches and Td’s. They didn’t run the ball much and Meckler had less than ten touches all together, but he did score a Td as well. The Oline looked a little shaky at first and PR was stalling out early on a bit, hempfield has some big linemen that play nasty. But they seemed to settle in and made some real nice pockets on some of the big spencer throws. IMO as the O line gains more cohesion as a unit and experience, PR will have a little bit more balance on offense and Meckler will be see his yards increase.

Defensively PR was overall good I thought. Bend but don’t break, like last week. Hempfield had a few nice drives and PR was able to stop them short or force a punt. Had one missed tackle on 4th down that gave up a catch and run for a TD, but other than that I thought everything was pretty solid. Hempfield couldn’t really get much going passing, PR had everything down field locked up. The roby kid underneath catching was the only issue PR had defending the pass. PR gave up a couple big gains on the ground but overall they were flying to the football and making plays. Gotta give a lot of credit to the defense because I thought hempfields O line looked pretty good in person. All big and physical kids. Miller and Jackson were very good on the DL.

Just got back from PR vs hempfield. Here are some of my thoughts:

PR offensively was really good tonight. Spencer was on fire, I’m not sure what the official stat line is but he threw 5 Td’s and at least 300 yards....

Jacky, Just watched the game and agree with everything you said. Passing game looked much more together overall than last week and when Spencer has time he looks deadly accurate and has a very good arm. Johnson looks to be a big possession / jump and grab the ball type WR while Jochem is their deep threat / speed guy. Luke Miller had 3 TD's too! Hope they can get a little bit more of a run game going, but it looks like that's not the kind of team they have this year.

Another win for the Rams Friday against a decent Moon team. After a slow start, the Rams scored 35 in the second quarter and another TD in the 3rd to start the running clock.

I thought that the defense played very well again, only giving up a couple big plays in the pass game on one TD drive. Other than, they were solid. Moon was the best passing team they have faced thus far and the QB was mobile. He must have gotten hurt though, because he didn't play in the second half. Except for the TD drive, he was harassed constantly and they never could mount any kind of sustained run game. Meckler also had a nice interception on defense and they blocked a FG and recovered a kickoff as well.

On offense, PR had 2 TD passes called back including one on the second play of the game. The skill positions played very well again. Spencer had over 250 yards passing and Jochem had two very acrobatic TD receptions and over 100 receiving for the second game. Johnson scored a 3rd passing TD on a beauty of a back shoulder throw and dropped another similar one in his breadbasket after turning the CB around. Miller had some nice receptions too. Unfortunately, their running game isn't very good right now. Meckler and Schweiger can't seem to get untracked and I'm not sure that the OL is moving many people off the ball. Pass protection has been ok, but will be really tested in a couple weeks by Central Catholic.

P-R handled Butler with ease on Friday 56-7. Offensively, Spencer looked very good. Looked like first team had 4 offensive possessions. Spencer hit Jochem for 2 passing TD's and Meckler ran one in. Penalties killed them on the single drive they didn't score. Meckler also scored on a punt return and they had an interception return for a TD and blocked kick for a TD all before halftime.

Most interesting thing I saw was that neither Jackson or Miller were playing OL and Luke Miller was not playing wide receiver. All three were in on defense though. If that's hold for future games, P-R's OL and defensive front 7 would be completely two-platoon, which I think is a very good thing.

Reactions: Soup13
The Rams rolled last night versus an overmatched Norwin team.

Defensively, P-R only allowed a couple drives past midfield and Norwin's QB had to make some big time 3rd down throws to get there. He was under constant pressure and was sacked a bunch. P-R didn't allow Norwin any run game to speak of.

On offense, Spencer was on fire. Jochem again was his favorite target and started off the game with a long TD catch. But a ton of WR's got involved. At least 5 had catched. Johnson had several good catches as did Bolin on the outside. Meckler is a TD scoring machine. He had about 5 rushes for 80 yards and 2 TDs.

Next's week game vs. PCC should be a good one. PCC's defense versus P-R's offense. I would like to think that P-R can score at least a couple and that may just be enough. Can't wait.

Reactions: JACKY6996
PCC's defensive line was the story of the game.

P-R's OL was very poor - Spencer was running for his life most of the game and besides one long run by Meckler (that got called back), the run game was non-existent. It looked like PCC was dropping 8 and even 9 into coverage and was still getting pressure on the QB on every play. A good defensive plan. Turning point in the game early was after teams traded a few 3 and outs, Spencer hit Jochem on an 80 yard TD, only to have it get called back. Story of the night for P-R. The long run I mentioned was a TD but called back when Meckler hurdled a kid. He's done that several times this year and gotten flag every time. Hurt them this time. P-R's got some work to do up front. Meckler and Jochem are real threats, but they have to find a way to protect Spencer and give him time to throw and Meckler some space to run. Otherwise it will be like last night where throwing quickly to the sidelines with an occasional launch downfield is all they got.

Defensively, I thought P-R actually played ok. They got worn down after a while though. PCC was ground and pound and was fairly effective. It looked to me like they were running away from Jackson every play. Jackson was a wrecking crew early with 2 sacks and a TFL in Q1. He can play. PCC QB made several nice throws. Should have had another TD just before half but ball went through WR hands. P-R was playing a sophomore LB in place of Geyer for some reason. I didn't seem any glaring mistakes, but that didn't help.

For P-R to compete with PCC (and NA and probably SV), the OL must improve tremendously and quickly. Maybe they can get lucky for a game and pull one out, but they aren't going to be consistently competitive until they do. Really makes you appreciate the kids that they had last year.

PCC looks to be on the rise. If they play that hard and fast on D, they will be a tough out until they meet a team that can protect and has good skill. As I said, PCC defensive skill looks to be way down. But there is no one in this part of the state that can do that right now. Even NA - who just beat them. Offensively they seem to found their identity. 3 nice games in a row.

If I had to guess now, I would take PCC to play SJP in the Western Semi's. SJP by 3 or 4 TD's though. Not enough skill on D or weapons on O.

Reactions: JACKY6996
It was 7-7 halfway through the first quarter. Then it was 56-7 at halftime. 63-7 final.

P-R offense was in control all the way. Looked to me like they tried to spread things out a got Bolin involved more on offense with 2 TDs. Meckler was outstanding as well and and they threw in some some trick plays with a reverse to Jochem down to the 1 and several misdirection plays out of 2 backs with Schweiger and Meckler in at the same time which they haven't done much at all this year. Looked like Trent Miller is back playing offensive line too which helps. Could have used him versus PCC.

Defense was solid after first drive. The CMAC QB got hurt on that drive though, and they really couldn't do much after that. Jackson at DE was great and Hasley on defense looks like he could be most explosive LB/DB on the team. But he's real young. DL Novitski was in backfield constantly and continues to have a good year. Rechenberg at the MLB is also playing downhill really well. Limited in the run game, but great versus the big boys in the conference.

Big three game coming up with Lebo, then SV, then NA.

It was 7-7 halfway through the first quarter. Then it was 56-7 at halftime. 63-7 final.

P-R offense was in control all the way. Looked to me like they tried to spread things out a got Bolin involved more on offense with 2 TDs. Meckler was outstanding as well and and they threw in some some trick plays with a reverse to Jochem down to the 1 and several misdirection plays out of 2 backs with Schweiger and Meckler in at the same time which they haven't done much at all this year. Looked like Trent Miller is back playing offensive line too which helps. Could have used him versus PCC.

Defense was solid after first drive. The CMAC QB got hurt on that drive though, and they really couldn't do much after that. Jackson at DE was great and Hasley on defense looks like he could be most explosive LB/DB on the team. But he's real young. DL Novitski was in backfield constantly and continues to have a good year. Rechenberg at the MLB is also playing downhill really well. Limited in the run game, but great versus the big boys in the conference.

Big three game coming up with Lebo, then SV, then NA.
New - I was at Lebo vs USC. Palko was the key. They had a great game plan all the way around. USC was averaging over 40 a game and lebo shut down the top receiver in the WPIAL. They ran the ball and eat the clock on A smaller USC line . The difference in two years was coaching 100 %. I think lebo has a good shot on pine based on the line size and Palko factor. Lebo by 3. They have talent and a Palko is bringing them back to the tradition Art Walker sr set years ago. It was lost some how and now coming back with Palko and staff. Coach K brought the same with his North Hills roots under McCurrey. Your saw what he built at Pine. Palko is getting Lebo there fast. I am impressed. Going to be a great game!

Soup - what you describe is the PCC game plan vs PR. Win the LOS and minimize big plays. I do think that the PR DL is playing well, particularly the DEs. But LBs will need to play very well to slow them down. Key - stop Evan Jones #10.

Soup - what you describe is the PCC game plan vs PR. Win the LOS and minimize big plays. I do think that the PR DL is playing well, particularly the DEs. But LBs will need to play very well to slow them down. Key - stop Evan Jones
New- Agree! Lebo barely played the soph qb and went with Jones who I like a lot. He ran the ball well with Ventrone but if you can stop their run game advantage Pine. I thought their pass game was mediocre at best. They did not need it either so maybe misleading. I think this game tells us how 6A rolls out for sure. Can’t wait...

New/Jacky - Thoughts on PR VS Lebo? How do you think it will play out?

Lebo vs. P-R has the makings of a very good game. I don't know much about Lebo, except that they do have a strong senior class and seem to be playing motivated football. The Jone's kid is a nice HS player and Ventrone has a lot of buzz. Those two make the the wheels go round on offense and defense. I think they have a returning OL as well that is a nice player. Add to that lots of very good HS kids and great coaching and you have a solid team. For Lebo to win, they need to control the clock on offense and get off the field on early 3rd downs before P-R can speed things up.

P-R's defense has been very stout all year - including the PCC game where the offense didn't help them at all. I would be very surprised if Lebo scored more that 2 TDs unless P-R blows multiple assignments. For P-R it all comes down to how well will the OL plays. For P-R to win, they need to make the game about speed and skill. Meckler, Jochem, Johnson and Spencer need to be put in positions to stress every aspect of the Lebo defense. For P-R to win, the OL must enable some semblance of a running game and pass protect like they have all year minus vs. PCC. It doesn't need to be perfect, but Meckler can't get tackled in the backfield and Spencer must have some time to throw.

I'm going to go with a 21-14 score, with P-R coming out on top. Meckler will be the difference.

Lebo vs. P-R has the makings of a very good game. I don't know much about Lebo, except that they do have a strong senior class and seem to be playing motivated football. The Jone's kid is a nice HS player and Ventrone has a lot of buzz. Those two make the the wheels go round on offense and defense. I think they have a returning OL as well that is a nice player. Add to that lots of very good HS kids and great coaching and you have a solid team. For Lebo to win, they need to control the clock on offense and get off the field on early 3rd downs before P-R can speed things up.

P-R's defense has been very stout all year - including the PCC game where the offense didn't help them at all. I would be very surprised if Lebo scored more that 2 TDs unless P-R blows multiple assignments. For P-R it all comes down to how well will the OL plays. For P-R to win, they need to make the game about speed and skill. Meckler, Jochem, Johnson and Spencer need to be put in positions to stress every aspect of the Lebo defense. For P-R to win, the OL must enable some semblance of a running game and pass protect like they have all year minus vs. PCC. It doesn't need to be perfect, but Meckler can't get tackled in the backfield and Spencer must have some time to throw.

I'm going to go with a 21-14 score, with P-R coming out on top. Meckler will be the difference.

New - This game will tell me a lot. Lebo OL is big, Jones and Ventrone, Vaughn and Pennix( I think) nice in the backfield, Jones and Ventrone nice when out at WR. Lebo secondary has young soph at corner and safety so vulnerable. Palko the key in win at USC. Shut down one of the top Wpial leaders in Passing/receiving, ate clock in 2nd half because St clair line light and inexperienced. I think coach K is very good so I expect PR by 11. Attack secondary, stop Lebo run game.

Not sure if I can make it out to Lebo on Friday. Is the game being streamed anywhere?

P-R completely dominated Lebo. No other way to put it. They came out fast and didn't let up.

The OL was improved and gave Spencer time for the most part and he was really good. P-R's WR's looked to be running open quite a bit. Miller started off the first drive with a sweet over the shoulder TD, Johnson had two nice deep catches including a TD and Jochem had a nice over-the-middle 4th down pickup and a long TD to put the game into Mercy Rule early in Q3. Meckler looked REALLY FAST and P-R skill look long and physical blocking. The OL is getting better. Not dominate like last year, but they seem to be at least holding up.

Defense was again lights out. Lebo got nothing going at all and DL was harassing Lebo QB on every play. Lebo had one nice drive but missed a FG. Not sure if they had the ball again in P-R's territory with the 1's.P-R's DB's had several nice knockdowns (Johnson, Boyd) and an interception (Jochem). P-R LB's again played well with Rechenberg making a great play to track down a WR on a long pass. Hasley and Miller also played fast and physical.

I was expecting more from Lebo. Particularly Jones (#10) and Ventrone (#12). But I didn't notice them at all. Maybe one or two plays total, but that was it.

I know Palko is a good coach, but Lebo has a LONG way to get before they can start to compete with the top end of the league. They are solid, but have a ways to go. Lebo also seemed senior-laden when I heard the starting lineups, so I am not sure if its going to get better quickly.

Reactions: Stalker
P-R completely dominated Lebo. No other way to put it. They came out fast and didn't let up.

The OL was improved and gave Spencer time for the most part and he was really good. P-R's WR's looked to be running open quite a bit. Miller started off the first drive with a sweet over the shoulder TD, Johnson had two nice deep catches including a TD and Jochem had a nice over-the-middle 4th down pickup and a long TD to put the game into Mercy Rule early in Q3. Meckler looked REALLY FAST and P-R skill look long and physical blocking. The OL is getting better. Not dominate like last year, but they seem to be at least holding up.

Defense was again lights out. Lebo got nothing going at all and DL was harassing Lebo QB on every play. Lebo had one nice drive but missed a FG. Not sure if they had the ball again in P-R's territory with the 1's.P-R's DB's had several nice knockdowns (Johnson, Boyd) and an interception (Jochem). P-R LB's again played well with Rechenberg making a great play to track down a WR on a long pass. Hasley and Miller also played fast and physical.

I was expecting more from Lebo. Particularly Jones (#10) and Ventrone (#12). But I didn't notice them at all. Maybe one or two plays total, but that was it.

I know Palko is a good coach, but Lebo has a LONG way to get before they can start to compete with the top end of the league. They are solid, but have a ways to go. Lebo also seemed senior-laden when I heard the starting lineups, so I am not sure if its going to get better quickly.

New - Well said and agree. I’ll throw in that coach K is the real deal. I saw some tape and the Pine line looked explosive, receivers and backs looked fast, Lebo had minimal yards and first downs all game . Also just had a rival game and looked real flat but They were dominated. Pgh cc woke Pine up. It will be an interesting finish to 6A. Artie has NA rolling too.

P-R came away with the W 35-21 over SV on Friday.

Defensively for the Rams, it wasn't a great effort IMO. SV passed for over 200 yards and P-R couldn't contain the QB or get off the field on 3rd down. SV ran the clock under 7-8 seconds every down and tried to keep P-R's offense off the field. Lucky for P-R that 2 SV RB's got injured or it would have been even closer. P-R only had ball 3 drives in first half not counting last one with under a minute to go. I thought LB's were best part of the team, with Rechenberg and Miller really playing downhill. DL was OK as was secondary. I mentioned earlier in the thread about P-R's 3rd down package - they need to figure that out. SV waited for that to get on the field then ran the ball. Several big 3rd down conversations against that. Biggest news is that DE Miller left the game with a dislocated shoulder. In serious pain. If he can't go versus NA next week, it could get ugly defensively.

On the offensive side, Spencer and Jochem were the two playmakers. Spencer was over 300 yards for the second straight game and Jochem must have had 10 catches and 175+ yards. He had 2 TD's receiving including an 80 yarder where he showed some real speed. Spencer had time and was on target all night. He did have two TO's - a forced interception and a fumble that could have been costly in the 4th, but overall he played very well. The sophomore Hasley also made a ton of plays catching the ball. He could turn into a nice playmaker for them. Meckler really didn't get it going offensively, but didn't have many chance. He did have a spectacular kick off return for a TD though where he blazed down the sideline. With the Miller injury, they had to play a couple other kids at OL and they seemed to do ok. Not sure if any are two way kids or not, but that's another hole they will have to fill going into the NA game.

Wow, what a difference a weeks makes.

P-R came out fast and mostly sustained it throughout the entire game. The defense was outstanding and was led by Juniors Luke Miller and Miguel Jackson, supported by outstanding line and LB play and pretty good tackling in the secondary. The defense shut down NA's two primary weapons (Luke Collela and Percise Colon) nearly all night. NA didn't produce any consistent drives with their two score coming on two big plays a tunnel screen to Collela and a off tackle run to Colon. I haven't seen Luke Miller play as fast or as hard as he did this game and Jackson was a man among boys on the DL. P-R's smaller but athletic front 7 was consistently in the NA backfield disrupting plays before they could get started. NA got down 14-0 and did a nice job climbing back to even. P-R had turnovers on their next two possessions (Jochem fumble and Spencer interception) but the defense held strong. NA didn't score after early in the 2nd quarter and the night was sealed when P-R picked off two NA passes on consecutive plays in the 4th quarter. After Collela and Colon, NA doesn't look to have many offensive weapons. They tried QB runs which really hurt P-R last year, but didn't do much damage this year. And when NA was down by 14 in the 4th, they have no appreciable pass game to help them. On another positive note for P-R, Trent Miller played the entire game at DE. Thought he would be out.

Offensively, the pass game was outstanding. Spencer hit Jochem for 80 on the second play of the game, then hit Johnson for 79 on the second play of the second series. The Jochem kid was a stud with 11 catches for 220 yards and 3 TDs (with a 4th called back). He touched NA both deep and short, turning short pass into huge gains. He's a long and fast and NA had no answer. What made it even harder for NA was that this was by far the best game I have seen Johnson play. 8 catches for 170 yards. Along with the deep TD, he had a bunch of 8-10 yards receptions and a key longer catch that set up the Rams go-ahead TD. Johnson and Miller absolutely dominated NA's OLB's in the quick passing game as well. All those kids are big. Spencer was a great triggerman finish 22-30 for about 400 yards and 5 TDs. Could of had 7, but one got called back and Johnson dropped another that was right in his breadbasket. Meckler was solid and had a few key runs late in the game for first downs, along with the final TD to cap the night. OL play in the pass game was mostly good. But they still struggle in the run game. Need to get a little better so they can get Meckler going in the run game.

NA had good size, but the lack of athletes after Collela and Colon at all positions was evident. The Lugg kid only played offense and isn't nearly as dominate as his brother. Dinkins (#8) didn't play because of an ankle and their best DL (Porter) got hurt a few weeks ago and is done for the year. Bets defensive player was Sheridan (#5) but he also got dinged up and looked tired. I think that maybe NA just came out flat and overlooked P-R, because I don't see how they beat Central playing like that. But then again, that was early in the year and Central hadn't gotten their offense going yet.

I'm very excited to see if the Rams can keep this run going. I don't expect to get a lot out of the run game, but the pass game is special. If they can keep playing the kind of defense I saw Friday, I think they have a shot to get back to Heinz - which basically means beating NA again in 2 weeks - assuming NA beats Canon-Mac, which I think is very very likely.

This is objectively preposterous. The skill PR has returning does not compare with the skill it had in 2014, 2015, 2016 or 2017. Luke Miller is the only varsity level receiver they have. QB can’t execute the scheme and was saved last year by a senior line that made up for a lot of bad reads and a senior filled defense - and dominant front 7. 4th Place in the Conference this year is an accurate prediction.

Was looking back through the thread. Saw the above. I'd say WPIAL Fan was wrong. And saw the below.

I would say that P-R being 4th isn't out of line. But all these teams have some strengths and weaknesses.

PCC: Awesome DLine, but mediocre at best offense
SV: Big and strong, lacking high end talent at skill positions
NA: They will be NA up front, but Colella may be only real weapon they have
P-R: Skill with be top notch, but complete rebuild on OL and interior D
Lebo: Have a few nice OL/DL and Ventrone, but lost QB and best WR. (Maybe Palko gets them over the hump.)

Happy with my predictions!! Turns out that P-R defense was much better than I thought it would be. It was outstanding most of the year. QB and WR's (Spencer, Jochem, Johnson, Miller, and Hasley) seemed to all be varsity capable kids. LoL.

PCC turned out to be better on offense than my "mediocre" prediction.
SV was exactly SV.
NA was NA, but Colon was a playmaker on O with Collela, and the Dinkins and Porter kids were outstanding on D.
Lebo was Lebo with the very nice surprise of Evan Jones

Rest of conference didn't matter.

Big games this weekend. Can Palko work his magic? I think PCC-Lebo it will be closer than the first time they played (last week). But also think PCC prevails 35-21.

I think NA/P-R is a toss up. I'm not sure P-R is going to get 42 again, but I also don't think P-R's defense will let down significantly. I'm thinking 21-14 or 28-21 one way or the other. Can't decide. LoL

Was looking back through the thread. Saw the above. I'd say WPIAL Fan was wrong. And saw

Happy with my predictions!! Turns out that P-R defense was much better than I thought it would be. It was outstanding most of the year. QB and WR's (Spencer, Jochem, Johnson, Miller, and Hasley) seemed to all be varsity capable kids. LoL.

PCC turned out to be better on offense than my "mediocre" prediction.
SV was exactly SV.
NA was NA, but Colon was a playmaker on O with Collela, and the Dinkins and Porter kids were outstanding on D.
Lebo was Lebo with the very nice surprise of Evan Jones

Rest of conference didn't matter.

Big games this weekend. Can Palko work his magic? I think PCC-Lebo it will be closer than the first time they played (last week). But also think PCC prevails 35-21.

I think NA/P-R is a toss up. I'm not sure P-R is going to get 42 again, but I also don't think P-R's defense will let down significantly. I'm thinking 21-14 or 28-21 one way or the other. Can't decide. LoL

New - Good stuff. I’ll go with Central in a route maybe 28-6 and Pine 27-13. NA is banged up and believe Pine is peaking at the right time.

NA lost some really good secondary players from
last year and it hadn’t Shown all season until PR. None of those kids besides collela can really keep up with the PR receivers imo. PR has only stalled this season when they stop themselves with a mistake or penalty. Also NA’s line isn’t as big or dominating as last year. Seems like they rotate a few kids at the guard spots for different types of plays as well. I think defensively the loss of porter was huge for them and has affected them the last few weeks of the season. Getting dinkins back healthy will be huge on both sides of the ball. Put in a huge game last week (despite being against lowly canon Mac who lost both 1st and 2nd string QB’s this season) for 4 catches 100+ yds and 3tds. He’s a playmaker when they get him involved and he could take the pressure off collela and colon and offense against PR.

Reactions: Soup13 and new2pa
New - Good stuff. I’ll go with Central in a route maybe 28-6 and Pine 27-13. NA is banged up and believe Pine is peaking at the right time.

Soup, I hope so!

Jacky, I would agree with you on NA secondary. I think part of it also is Collela and Colon having to play both ways. I have not seen Dinkins play in person but have heard he is a stud.

Hearing Rechenberg for PR is likely out against NA with an injury. That’s a loss on D but I don’t think the backup, goltz, is much behind him in talent. If he can fill the gap solidly, I can’t see it killing them too much if the rest of the D is playing well. Anyone know if the status of Sam Sheridan for NA? Limped off the field during the PR game in the 3rd quarter and didn’t return.

What is wrong with him? I didn't see him get hurt in the first game? Practice? They would lose a lot of experience without him.

Same question about Sheridan. I thought he was NA's best defensive player by a wide margin.

What is wrong with him? I didn't see him get hurt in the first game? Practice? They would lose a lot of experience without him.

Same question about Sheridan. I thought he was NA's best defensive player by a wide margin.

Guy told me it was a stinger, and it’s probably 90% he doesn’t play.

I heard Sheridan, Dinkins and Porter all are playing this time around. I like PR but not a blow out like last time.

If Porter is playing, that would be something. He's been out with a knee and was on the sideline last game in a huge knee brace and crutches.

Sheridan was very good for the 3 quarters he played.

If Porter is playing, that would be something. He's been out with a knee and was on the sideline last game in a huge knee brace and crutches.

Sheridan was very good for the 3 quarters he played.
New - That could be very true on Porter. I just heard from a some one who heard from someone in NA. Haha . In any event I still like PR and NA will play hard as usual but I don’t think they can content you all the speed on the skills with cole duel threat. I like the Rechtenberg kid and if he is out it has to hurt the D.

I agree with all that. Rechenberg not playing will hurt because he's gotten so many snaps this year. I'm curious to see if NA continues to play Collela, Colon and now Dinkins both ways. Collela and Colon weren't great on defense and they were the only offense NA had last game. You would think NA would be able to find 2 more DB in a school of 1000! Going to be an exciting game. If P-R can pass protect and get Meckler involved a little more than last game, I think they will be in good shape. Defensively, if they don't have Rechenberg the run defense will suffer and NA will have Dinkins at WR. So, that should help. Heck, it could be a shootout.

Everything I’ve heard about porter has been that it’s a season ending injury, and it definitely looked that way when I saw him on the sidelines against PR, so I too would be shocked if he played. I think Dayne Goltz might be surprise for PR at LB. He doesn’t have the experience but I’ve seen him and have heard he’s for sure solid. Meckler should shadow collela this time around as well. He’s the only one in the secondary that can match his speed. He got open a few times down field but QB couldn’t get a good ball in. I think dinkins will get doubled, so it’s important to keep collela in check more so this time around. I think colon is a one trick pony also, they don’t really run between the tackles well this year, but they can definitely hit the big edge off tackle type play, which played into the strength of PR’s D last game with Jackson and miller on the line at end and miller and Hasley at outside backers. Besides the one TD run they shut him down pretty well. I could see them trying to run at the replacement LB for sure in the middle now however, so it will be a solid test. NA was only able to score on two plays that had a few missed tackles, so if PR can clean up in that regard and the Dline can play well and dominate at times, I think PR is in really good shape.

Offensively for PR at this point I don’t see why Meckler isn’t just moved to WR full time. The O line hasn’t been able to get the run game going at all this season, and Meckler can clearly catch well. Find someone that can pass block decently in the backfield and let Meckler do damage from the slot imo. If they can find a way to get more big plays out of him that will elevate the offense to whole other level. Also they’ve been putting the ball on the ground too much, essentially what allowed NA to climb out of 14-0 hole, need to clean that up as well. I think if PR executes a very good game on offense again with minimal turnovers, they will win by 2-3Tds again.

Reactions: Soup13 and new2pa
Jacky, that is a great point about Meckler. Maybe spell Miller and Hasley who alternate at one of the WR and have to play defense too. Also, having another pass blocker who was heavier at RB would probably help.

That’s good news about Goltz. I thought he was a backup QB and DL. LoL.

Another shocker for Pine-Richland with the 49-14 win. NA played without Sheridan the entire game, and throughout the game, Hoke and Colon went out. Dinkins did play. From the TV copy, it looked like Colon was actually knocked out and they let him back in the game. Couldn't believe that. Not sure any of that made a difference. When P-R didn't shoot themselves in the foot, they were unstoppable.

P-R's offense was explosive. NA clearly had a plan for Jochem this game, with Dinkins following him and a safety over him as well most of the time. Didn't really matter as the other guys stepped up, led by Johnson with 2 awesome TD catches. Meckler and Bolin also had long TD's (Meckler catch was incredible) and Miller scored on what looked like the exact play they ran against NA on the goal line last year. Also, a backup had a TD late when P-R looked to be twisting the knife a little in NA. Spencer ended up with 6 TDs and about 350 yards. No INTS. Other big story of the game was P-R's ability to run the ball with Meckler. Well over 100 yards for him. Let's hope P-R's line keeps improving.

The defense was outstanding again. One TD allowed in the first half on a great catch on 4th down and the second TD was in mop up time. P-R's LB's (Miller, Rechenberg, Hasley) were outstanding, and the DL was very solid again. I think DB's played above average and were really tested. NA more or less gave up runing the ball in the middle of Q1 because they couldn't do anything. Probably attempted 25-30 passes, which is not good for them. Their pass game isn't very good. Lots of 1 and 2 man routes.

P-R easily could have had another score before the half, but Meckler's TD on a kickoff return was called back.

So, a third straight trip to Heinz Field. Pretty neat since this is a completely different team in personnel than the one in 17. And a completely different team in scheme from the power running team from last year.

Not sure where NA goes from here. P-R's has beaten them 4 of last 5 times and scored 40+ each time. The kids NA played didn't "look" like the NA kids from 2-3-4 years ago. Dinkins and Colella and Colon are nice players, but after that, they didn't have anything. The crazy thing is that their linemen are just as different than in the past. Not alot of team speed. Crazy for a school twice the size of P-R.

Big game next weekend versus PCC. P-R will be the underdog, but I can't wait to watch!

Very excited for the game Saturday. P-R has been playing their best ball lately, but PCC will be a big challenge.

Key's to the game will be P-R's ability to rush a little bit with Meckler and pass protect better. But the reshuffled OL has performed well. I think they pass game will take care of itself, and if P-R can get the ball in space to Meckler, Jochem, Johnson, etc., they have a good chance. Suneri is out and he was the best of their back 7. Hope weather is good.

Defensively, I think P-R will again be stout. They have been flying to the ball lately, both on runs and passes. Still a little undersized, but very good team speed. If the offense can do anything, I think P-R can again hold PCC to 21-28 points. If Tillman is contained, maybe less. Can't let him have 3 or 4 60 yard TDs.

Besides Suneri, both teams seem to be playing with a full deck.

I'm a homer, but am going to go with P-R, 28-21!

Very excited for the game Saturday. P-R has been playing their best ball lately, but PCC will be a big challenge.

Key's to the game will be P-R's ability to rush a little bit with Meckler and pass protect better. But the reshuffled OL has performed well. I think they pass game will take care of itself, and if P-R can get the ball in space to Meckler, Jochem, Johnson, etc., they have a good chance. Suneri is out and he was the best of their back 7. Hope weather is good.

Defensively, I think P-R will again be stout. They have been flying to the ball lately, both on runs and passes. Still a little undersized, but very good team speed. If the offense can do anything, I think P-R can again hold PCC to 21-28 points. If Tillman is contained, maybe less. Can't let him have 3 or 4 60 yard TDs.

Besides Suneri, both teams seem to be playing with a full deck.

I'm a homer, but am going to go with P-R, 28-21!
New - I heard somewhere after they shuffled Miller and Jackson to guards everything changed for the better on O. I actually like PR 28-17.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT