ADVERTISEMENT

PCC and NA

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
Had some free time last night so decided to actually watch PCC (CMAC and NA) and NA games (PCC). Was very much surprised.

PCC is NOT as good as I expected. They can throw the ball, but mostly because they have guys running free with no one on them. Coverage busts. Also, OL is good but not great. Can run it ok, but again, not nearly as dominant as I thought. Defensively, they could not stop CMAC or NA running the ball. Up and down the field. The play a defense with 3 down lineman. Those kids are good, but just not enough in the box. NA and CMAC gashed them. But then they gave up easy scores and PCC dropped 8.

The NA game - watched until just before halftime. Could almost say NA dominated them - but turnovers absolutely crushed them. A scoop and almost score and a pick in the endzone. I don't think NA is better than PCC, but they aren't worse. Should be a toss up next time they play.

Also, if PCC does make it to the finals, they better figure something out, because I gotta think STJ will be able to run the ball very well, and has DB's that can at least get in the right coverage.

Had some free time last night so decided to actually watch PCC (CMAC and NA) and NA games (PCC). Was very much surprised.

PCC is NOT as good as I expected. They can throw the ball, but mostly because they have guys running free with no one on them. Coverage busts. Also, OL is good but not great. Can run it ok, but again, not nearly as dominant as I thought. Defensively, they could not stop CMAC or NA running the ball. Up and down the field. The play a defense with 3 down lineman. Those kids are good, but just not enough in the box. NA and CMAC gashed them. But then they gave up easy scores and PCC dropped 8.

The NA game - watched until just before halftime. Could almost say NA dominated them - but turnovers absolutely crushed them. A scoop and almost score and a pick in the endzone. I don't think NA is better than PCC, but they aren't worse. Should be a toss up next time they play.

Also, if PCC does make it to the finals, they better figure something out, because I gotta think STJ will be able to run the ball very well, and has DB's that can at least get in the right coverage.
yep- accurate breakdown New

Reactions: new2pa
yep- accurate breakdown New
Good stuff guys. I had NA beating PCC by a Td !?!? And feel as you all do that PCC is....not trying to put words in your mouth....overrated. Felt that way all of the offseason with the board making them superman? Still don't know what that was about but feel after reviewing the game it's pretty obvious the two are close to even minus TOs.

Also, I still sense a dismissive attitude towards State College and Harrisburg. I don't know about D1 players, this college or that and with no offense, don't care. That part of it, the number of D1 players is in my view WAY overrated. But, to each his own. State College and Harrisburg are a handful and I'll leave it at that.

Ya, I was on the PCC bandwagon HARD (like SV last year). PCC looks more organized to me, but the pass game isn't polished as I thought it should be. Wehner is good, but a lot of run around, and A LOT of chuck it deep. Defense was also puzzling. When I saw CMAC run the ball quite well and then NA do the same, I knew I needed to rethink.

NA on the other hand is a very good team that finally has an average to better QB passer - AND the Alualu kid is very good on both sides of the ball. Looked like a man out there.

Now, not counting PCC out, but just saying way closer than I thought.

Stalk- I agree, really, neither NA or PCC should be viewed as better than SC and Hbg

I was adding to the PCC hype- maybe premature- but I still think if the can go 10-0 they will be a force- still have PR. Penn Hills and Gateway

I can't see how the PCC PR game is much different than NA PR game. But we will see this friday.

oh- agreed, it wont be close, PCC might beat PR by more- they just gotta play to make it "official"

Yeah I was thinking this that night. PCC is good but there not as unbelievable as this forum, Facebook, and twitter users are making them out to be. The fact remains that NA out gained PCC in yardage through the first half. Needless and boneheaded turnovers did NA in. Tyree getting hurt in the third also did them no favors.

I’d be willing to bet the turnover margins will be smaller the next time they meet. I’m still all in on NA

Good stuff guys. I had NA beating PCC by a Td !?!? And feel as you all do that PCC is....not trying to put words in your mouth....overrated. Felt that way all of the offseason with the board making them superman? Still don't know what that was about but feel after reviewing the game it's pretty obvious the two are close to even minus TOs.

Also, I still sense a dismissive attitude towards State College and Harrisburg. I don't know about D1 players, this college or that and with no offense, don't care. That part of it, the number of D1 players is in my view WAY overrated. But, to each his own. State College and Harrisburg are a handful and I'll leave it at that.
I agree state college and Harrisburg are good, but what About Manheim Township?
On maxpreps they are 6-0, and beat Harrisburg 38-6. Is this true?

I'm one of the ones on here that disagree. I have the opposite opinion with everyone else and wasn't big on PCC coming into the year but are sold now. I think PCC is as good as advertised. Thier line is very good. Big athletic kids that can move not just fat overweight guys and Peyton Wehner and Anthony Gonzalez are the best QB receiver tandom in the wpial. They mix it up very well. They are loaded with D1 guys and a huge improvement in coaching (especially offensive.) I think PCC pulled their starters in every game besides maybe NA which they won 50-22. Everyone is hung up on turnovers in that game but PCC defense created those turnovers. They haven't had a close game all season and have a tough schedule. I think they will mercy rule PR this Friday and I believe they come out of the west and play sjp in CV.

Last edited:
"for now" imo here are the "PA big dogs" in recent 3-4 yrs- SJP, Imotep, PR and Harrisburg- each has won recent district titles, and each has played in state finals in recent years- that means returning kids from last year and the year before are "battle tested," we might add NA or PCC, but not yet!!

"for now" imo here are the "PA big dogs" in recent 3-4 yrs- SJP, Imotep, PR and Harrisburg- each has won recent district titles, and each has played in state finals in recent years- that means returning kids from last year and the year before are "battle tested," we might add NA or PCC, but not yet!!
I agree but what will help PCC is that they scheduled a tough regular season schedule which will have them battle tested come playoff time and a lot of thier starters have been playing since sophomore year so the experience is there. The biggest difference this year is the coaching and offense.

Ya, I was on the PCC bandwagon HARD (like SV last year). PCC looks more organized to me, but the pass game isn't polished as I thought it should be. Wehner is good, but a lot of run around, and A LOT of chuck it deep. Defense was also puzzling. When I saw CMAC run the ball quite well and then NA do the same, I knew I needed to rethink.

NA on the other hand is a very good team that finally has an average to better QB passer - AND the Alualu kid is very good on both sides of the ball. Looked like a man out there.

Now, not counting PCC out, but just saying way closer than I thought.
New: I didn't/don't mean for that to sound like finger pointing at you for jumping on the PCC bandwagon. I was kind of bewildered wondering what everyone else saw that I missed!! And hey, they'll meet again I'm sure.

2020: Harrisburg this and State College that and I forgot to mention Township who has already pounded Harrisburg, hard as that is to say. Damned well coached too.

End of the day, I wouldn't be surprised knowing the power of reversals to see NA and Hburg win the second time around.

These teams are all so talented (maybe not great) that it's easy to forget the deciding factor should or will be coaching.

Stalk - I didn't take it that well at all!

Is this the same staff at MT that was there in 2017?

Stalk - I didn't take it that well at all!

Is this the same staff at MT that was there in 2017?
Yes........that lost to that great Pine team 28-7. Mark Evans is in his 13th year 88-40 plus 6-0 to date.

What tough regular season has PCC scheduled? They have 5 5A teams on the schedule, a really bad St Ignatius team, and the teams on their schedule have a combined 31-31 record right now(according to MaxPreps at least).

And I'll admit that I was very curious about this PCC team in the preseason bc of all the D1 commits/prospects I read about. If you go back a few pages on here, I posted a thread asking about them in the preseason bc I know very little about the WPIAL as I am on the complete opposite side of the state.

I'll also admit that when I watched them play NA, I wasnt totally blown away by them. In fact, if those 2 teams play 10 times, it probably ends up being a 5-5 series. Dont think there is much separation between the 2 in my eyes.

I also dont think, even with ALL that next level talent, that they are a slam dunk to come out of the west

Newport, as I said above, it was also surprising to me to see them on film versus word of mouth and snippets. What they are doing offensively definitely looks familiar to me from watching all the P-R stuff, but its just not the same. Its chuck it and run because we are better.

The defense though was even more surprising. Even when PCC didn't have a great offense, teams like CMAC couldn't run the ball very well against them. And Tiger mentioned NA moving the ball with ease.

I feel just like you. Very even in the WPIAL between them and NA.

Please, Central averages 50 pts a game, they beat NA by 28 points, their QB completes 73 % of passes for over 1500 yards and has thrown for 21 TD`s, they also have 3 excellent running backs. Can they beat St Joes, probably not but I think it will be a good game

NA will have to play a perfect game to beat them !
Agree with you pcc64. PCC is just the better team and I think we will see much the same result in the finals. This NA team is really good too but this PCC team is special. Everyone game has been a blow out and that includes woody high and NA. PCC jv has been getting a lot of valuable playing time this year.

What tough regular season has PCC scheduled? They have 5 5A teams on the schedule, a really bad St Ignatius team, and the teams on their schedule have a combined 31-31 record right now(according to MaxPreps at least).

And I'll admit that I was very curious about this PCC team in the preseason bc of all the D1 commits/prospects I read about. If you go back a few pages on here, I posted a thread asking about them in the preseason bc I know very little about the WPIAL as I am on the complete opposite side of the state.

I'll also admit that when I watched them play NA, I wasnt totally blown away by them. In fact, if those 2 teams play 10 times, it probably ends up being a 5-5 series. Dont think there is much separation between the 2 in my eyes.

I also dont think, even with ALL that next level talent, that they are a slam dunk to come out of the west
Did you get denied entry into PCC or couldn't afford to attend there. Lol you are the biggest PCC hater on this board. Most all 6A schools in the state play 5A schools. Plus the wpial has the top 5A schools in the state. Just look at previous 5A champs (2Xpine Richland, Penn Trafford, Penn hills).

Last edited:
PCC hater? Not even close. I was excited about them as anyone on this board because of what I read about them in the preseason. You said they have played a tough regular season schedule. I went to MaxPreps and looked at the schedule and just dont see the tough schedule you speak of.

I've also said many times on this board that I think PCC is a very very good HS football team. But I dont think they are "generational" as some have stated.

And just because my personal opinion of a team differs from yours, that doesnt make me a hater. I've been on this board 20+ years. I've given my opinion on just about every team in Pa over that time, in many cases like I've given my opinion on PCC. Never once been called a "hater."

In fact, I'll even go one step further. I hope that whoever comes out of the west beats SJP. I would love to witness arguably the biggest upset in Pa football history. This board would probably self destruct if that was the case

PCC hater? Not even close. I was excited about them as anyone on this board because of what I read about them in the preseason. You said they have played a tough regular season schedule. I went to MaxPreps and looked at the schedule and just dont see the tough schedule you speak of.

I've also said many times on this board that I think PCC is a very very good HS football team. But I dont think they are "generational" as some have stated.

And just because my personal opinion of a team differs from yours, that doesnt make me a hater. I've been on this board 20+ years. I've given my opinion on just about every team in Pa over that time, in many cases like I've given my opinion on PCC. Never once been called a "hater."
everything I say about PCC you have to trash them. I think you must have been denied access into there, they constantly beat whatever high school you attend football, or you couldn't afford tuition. I'll make you a bet now they come out of the west? You're so confident they aren't that good so loser disappear from this board?

Reading is fundamental. I have constantly said I'm from the complete other side of the state. My school has never played them in any sport. So that's first. Secondly, I have said even with all that talent on the team, I dont think they are a generational team, like you have suggested. Again, a very very good HS team. And we have seen these loaded PCC teams come up very small when it matters most in the past.

And I dont think saying that I dont think they are as good as I thought they were gonna be when I actually got to see them play live is neccesarily trashing them. I expected a more advanced gameplan and concepts when getting ready to watch them vs NA. As someone mentioned above, it was basically running around until one of their athletes got open and the QB just kind of threw the ball up.

And no, I'm not making a bet with you. You claim to not have an affiliation with PCC yet every time says something about them you dont agree with, you swoop in immediately to defend them. The rabbit ears on a HS football message board is a weird look.... as is the obsession with my posts and threads. I dont have to agree with you. Its ok if we have different opinions.

Leave the board? I've been on this board since 2002. I'm not going anywhere bc I love and enjoy ALL of Pa high school football.

Reactions: lilromeo
Reading is fundamental. I have constantly said I'm from the complete other side of the state. My school has never played them in any sport. So that's first. Secondly, I have said even with all that talent on the team, I dont think they are a generational team, like you have suggested. Again, a very very good HS team. And we have seen these loaded PCC teams come up very small when it matters most in the past.

And I dont think saying that I dont think they are as good as I thought they were gonna be when I actually got to see them play live is neccesarily trashing them. I expected a more advanced gameplan and concepts when getting ready to watch them vs NA. As someone mentioned above, it was basically running around until one of their athletes got open and the QB just kind of threw the ball up.

And no, I'm not making a bet with you. You claim to not have an affiliation with PCC yet every time says something about them you dont agree with, you swoop in immediately to defend them. The rabbit ears on a HS football message board is a weird look.... as is the obsession with my posts and threads. I dont have to agree with you. Its ok if we have different opinions.

Leave the board? I've been on this board since 2002. I'm not going anywhere bc I love and enjoy ALL of Pa high school football.
good post

I am in agreement that both of those teams are very good. I would expect the rematch, if it happens and most likely will, will be a much closer game. Probably an instant classic

I think SJP losing by only 3 to IMG trumps anything PCC has done this year. Unless IMG isn’t great this year. They are 4-0 against teams I don’t know.

I think SJP losing by only 3 to IMG trumps anything PCC has done this year. Unless IMG isn’t great this year. They are 4-0 against teams I don’t know.
Agreed it's also more impressive then anything NA has done this year. No one in pa could compete with img except prep but what does that have to do with PCC? Prep was already loaded coming into the year then they got two top 200 transfers. One from Roman another from new Jersey. You can't compare any team in the state to prep.

Agreed it's also more impressive then anything NA has done this year. No one in pa could compete with img except prep but what does that have to do with PCC? Prep was already loaded coming into the year then they got two top 200 transfers. One from Roman another from new Jersey. You can't compare any team in the state to prep.
Yes. Sjp might be beatable next season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT