ADVERTISEMENT

6 classifications rant and wpial should leave piaa

Wpial leave Piaa?!

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
A handful of teams would have never even "sniffed at" D7/wpial Gold, in this old system- I could go on and on

I agree. but why stop at 6 classes? Why not 8 or 10? Let’s let all the mediocre teams win!!!
I think the piaa did it because these giant 6A schools were dominating over the smaller ones. Cb west, Downingtown, North Penn, north Allegheny, ect.... I didn't like the 6 classifications at first but I do now. I think with the success formula too it's made for a lot more competitive games. I like the 6 classifications or would be fine with 5.

I think the piaa did it because these giant 6A schools were dominating over the smaller ones. Cb west, Downingtown, North Penn, north Allegheny, ect.... I didn't like the 6 classifications at first but I do now. I think with the success formula too it's made for a lot more competitive games. I like the 6 classifications or would be fine with 5.
6 has destroyed wpial. I’d be fine with moving to 5 and seeing how it is

Carmichaels+Jeff Morgan+ Mapletown = 3A school
Waynesburg +West Greene =3A school
Once the mines leave Greene County for good you'll probably see a merger of some type of these schools but before that happens, it's a logistical nightmare to merge some of these schools.

Case in point - I know kids in the WG school district who already sit an hour on a bus one way to and from school. There are kids who live out in the sticks of New Freeport where it takes 45 minutes to get to Waynesburg by car. Sitting on a bus?

Time for districts in Western PA to merge.

Ringold+Charlerio =5Aschool
pfft my Rams will still be abysmal

a merge with neighboring schools like Thomas Jefferson or Peters Twp would be nice, even Elizabeth Forward or South Park, but what would they get out of it other than lowering the quality of their school districts LOL

It certainly had nothing to do with West, it happened in 2015... West hadn't won a championship in a long time, and was nowhere near a "giant 6A school." For reference, here are the male 10-12 enrollments in District 1, 6A. Even with moving to 6 classifications, the largest 6A is almost 3 TIMES the size of the smallest.

In District 11, you have a huge spread also, just not as bad as in D1:

these teams haven't dominated in over a decade

heck 2 decades+ for the eastern teams you named

5 classes would be better than 6, but 4 is best

we have won many state titles across all levels, including 2 in 6A in the last 6 years, not sure what has been "destroyed"
be honest you like it because in the new system your favorite team won 2 more state titles

that wouldn't have happened in the old 4 class system

1-5 based on enrollment for boundary schools
6 for all non-boundary schools
LOL!! Fletch- u are genius! simple and logical- start a petition, i will sign!! In 24? Likely final 4- Bishop McD, ECP, PCC and SJP? Seems reasonable- and if tiny privates don't wanna play, they can opt-out??

nope, i could care less, imo the pros and cons are even
bruh GIF

LOL!! Fletch- u are genius! simple and logical- start a petition, i will sign!! In 24? Likely final 4- Bishop McD, ECP, PCC and SJP? Seems reasonable- and if tiny privates don't wanna play, they can opt-out??
At some point, boundary schools just need to join together and force the change. Enrollment for non-boundary schools doesn't have nearly the impact as it does for boundary schools.

This IS a problem. Our EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA CONFERENCE with 5A Whitehall’s schedule listed. Now, Whitehall has never asked for relief from the Conference by moving to the Northern Division as Northampton, William Allen, and L.E. Dieruff have done. Here is the list of boys 9-10-11.
Allen 6A 1194
Bethlehem CATHOLIC 4A. 208
Easton Area 6A. 1283
Emmaus 6A. 1038
Freedom 6A. 727
Liberty 6A. 1140
Nazareth 6A. 579
Northampton 6A. 756
Parkland 6A 1277
Central CATHOLIC 4A 192

Whitehall 5A. 437

What’s your Pros for 6 classes as opposed to 4?
I could list like 5-10 pro and 5-10 con- but pro? I will be simple- #1 See above- EPC's comment- it minimizes uneven matches of enrollment #2 It puts more teams in a position to play for a district or state title- maybe this keeps more kids interested in playing football

I could list like 5-10 pro and 5-10 con- but pro? I will be simple- #1 See above- EPC's comment- it minimizes uneven matches of enrollment #2 It puts more teams in a position to play for a district or state title- maybe this keeps more kids interested in playing football
Where would all this leave IMHOTEP and all the other PPL schools that have only the city limits of Philly as their boundaries--though I've heard that some TEP players come from outside Philly?

Also, I have a hard time thinking that the proposed alignment will do anything to keep even one kid interested in playing football. Doesn't everyone agree that regular public schools, i.e. schools with clear and enforced boundaries, have won most state championships in five of the six classifications in recent years and that it's only in 6A that a non-boundary school has been dominant? So why would any kid in a school in 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, or 5A think his school is much more likely to win or get close to a state championship because Bishop A, or Cardinal B, or Mary Queen of X has been sent off to an all-private classification? And as for 6A, I have almost as hard a time thinking that a kid who goes to Easton or Harrisburg or State College makes a decision to play or not play football because SJP is in the same classification.

be honest you like it because in the new system your favorite team won 2 more state titles

that wouldn't have happened in the old 4 class system
Those teams would 💯% dominate the smaller 6A schools in their district if they went back to 4 classifications.

Where would all this leave IMHOTEP and all the other PPL schools that have only the city limits of Philly as their boundaries--though I've heard that some TEP players come from outside Philly?

Also, I have a hard time thinking that the proposed alignment will do anything to keep even one kid interested in playing football. Doesn't everyone agree that regular public schools, i.e. schools with clear and enforced boundaries, have won most state championships in five of the six classifications in recent years and that it's only in 6A that a non-boundary school has been dominant? So why would any kid in a school in 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, or 5A think his school is much more likely to win or get close to a state championship because Bishop A, or Cardinal B, or Mary Queen of X has been sent off to an all-private classification? And as for 6A, I have almost as hard a time thinking that a kid who goes to Easton or Harrisburg or State College makes a decision to play or not play football because SJP is in the same classification.
tulla- i agree- the topic is interesting, but probably not gonna change- my comment about "keeping kids playing" is like, maybe a "small 4A school" has a change of winning "district gold" but otherwise, would be facing big 4A schools

i think the point here, is smaller, and just "more" schools have opportunities

tiger- i agree, maybe having "watered down" competition is not good- but here's a list of arguably the best big-school wpial coaches in the last 5-6 years, Totten-PCC, Palko-WA/Lebo, Kasper-PR- what do they have in common? winning is difficult to sustain

Yes, it also applies to your rams and every other team in the state. Except SJP, they’d win if there were 80 conferences or 1
Yes, it also applies to your rams and every other team in the state. Except SJP, they’d win if there were 80 conferences or 1
NA has been a "worse team given more opportunities" and your Coach likes that. And you think PR is ALSO a "worse team given more opportunities?" omg not true

NA has been a "worse team given more opportunities" and your Coach likes that. And you think PR is ALSO a "worse team given more opportunities?" omg not true
Ummmmm what??????

2022 PR was worse than 2022 SJP, yet they both won gold. 8 years ago with the 4 class system (what I want back), this wouldn’t have happened. The expansion brought a huge opportunity to every school, including PR. The same thing can be applied to 2020. Yes I agree this helped NA aswell

Also, shame on you for your anti-walker Jr. Rhetoric

Ummmmm what??????

2022 PR was worse than 2022 SJP, yet they both won gold. 8 years ago with the 4 class system (what I want back), this wouldn’t have happened. The expansion brought a huge opportunity to every school, including PR. The same thing can be applied to 2020. Yes I agree this helped NA aswell

Also, shame on you for your anti-walker Jr. Rhetoric
ok man- you win, i guess you're right, pr IS "a worse team benefitting from the 6 level system"

I’ll take anything at this point. 6 classifications is so boring. We all know the final will be NA vs PCC. Canon Mac and Seneca are garbage. Lebo has a chance every now and then.

I’d love to play McKeesport, or bethel, or USC in the playoffs but it’s not possible anymore and I’m furious
Canon Mac is pretty good this year, not the typical .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT