ADVERTISEMENT

2015-2016 Early ranking predictions

Coachshead12

Jan 26, 2015
Pick a district and give me your top 5 picks in each classification.
District

Class AAAA
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Class AAA
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Class AA
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Class A
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

D12 AAAA
1 Prep
2 Judge
3 LaSalle
4 Roman
5 Gratz
AAA
1 Imhotep
2 Wood
3 Overbrook
4 Ryan
5 Bonner
AA
1 Del-Val
2 Neumann
3 West Catholic
4 Prep Charter
5 Lansdale Catholic
A
1 McDevitt
2 Kipp DuBois

Reactions: lilromeo
Overbrook,,,,,,,, what kind of coaching staff do they have?? I doubt they deserve that high a ranking,

I see Ryan as 3rd team in 3 aaa I don't know anything about overbook.4 aaaa in d12 is kind of week bc I don't see lasalle or roman doing much this year.in 2 aa west catholic is number one

D12 AAAA
1 Prep
2 Judge
3 LaSalle
4 Roman
5 Gratz
AAA
1 Imhotep
2 Wood
3 Overbrook
4 Ryan
5 Bonner
AA
1 Del-Val
2 Neumann
3 West Catholic
4 Prep Charter
5 Lansdale Catholic
A
1 McDevitt
2 Kipp DuBois
Your picks are realistic overall .Don't know anything about the Brook this year, nice job!!

Overbrook returns all of their relevant skill players, and a line that will average about 280. Don't think they will have a chance to win anything with Tep in their division, but I think they'll finish 2nd in Pub AAA. Honestly, after Tep and Wood there really isn't a team worthy of a top 5 ranking in D12 AAA. Figured with what they have returning, Brook is as good of a guess as anybody. Ryan loses 80% of their offense and has no RB worth mentioning. They lost their main playmaker on the outside and a lot on defense. Line should be good, QB is half decent, but I think it's gonna be a long season for the Raiders. Bonner loses 90% of their offense with DiGalbo graduating, but they were young last year and didn't give up a ton of points. Just my opinion, if anybody knows something that I'm missing about the AAA division, please share it. There has to be a reason why you guys don't think Brook deserves to be 3 and somebody else does. I'm not trying to start a huge debate, just what I'm seeing going by last years stats and returning players. One transfer could put a team right in the mix, I just haven't heard anything on big time transfers lately.

Prep will dominate 4 aaaa judge will make it close by losing by 35 points.they have a lot of skill players return but as usual they never have a line to block for them.in 3 aaa rep will dominate with wood and Ryan behind them.ryan has what judge needs a good line for a change

I see Ryan as 3rd team in 3 aaa I don't know anything about overbook.4 aaaa in d12 is kind of week bc I don't see lasalle or roman doing much this year
I thin
Only if the ebola hits Woods locker room 2 days before the game.
Woods program is very strong and will be a force for years to come. This year could be a challenge only in terms of another State Title as they were a senior laden team last year and Carey has told me he not coaching this year. Thats a lot to throw on Devlin as losing Carey will hurt but I suspect that it will be Wood and Imhotep in the city finals

My gut is that N-G isn't pulling off that miracle again (but cap tip for getting it done when it mattered) New coach, best player transferred, maybe a couple of others, lost a handful of quality seniors; including best player (DiFrancesco) and QB, and low numbers (According to what I heard, but I can't say for sure). But we'll see. Maybe, I'm unaware of something.

Overbrook returns all of their relevant skill players, and a line that will average about 280. Don't think they will have a chance to win anything with Tep in their division, but I think they'll finish 2nd in Pub AAA. Honestly, after Tep and Wood there really isn't a team worthy of a top 5 ranking in D12 AAA. Figured with what they have returning, Brook is as good of a guess as anybody. Ryan loses 80% of their offense and has no RB worth mentioning. They lost their main playmaker on the outside and a lot on defense. Line should be good, QB is half decent, but I think it's gonna be a long season for the Raiders. Bonner loses 90% of their offense with DiGalbo graduating, but they were young last year and didn't give up a ton of points. Just my opinion, if anybody knows something that I'm missing about the AAA division, please share it. There has to be a reason why you guys don't think Brook deserves to be 3 and somebody else does. I'm not trying to start a huge debate, just what I'm seeing going by last years stats and returning players. One transfer could put a team right in the mix, I just haven't heard anything on big time transfers lately.
Yo Jive, The only reason I have some doubts about Overbrook being ranked that high is years of seeing many teams in the Phila. Public League with plenty of talent but with coaching staffs that are not on par with the PCL, the Interac or Suburban schools. Sometimes multiple games will not have a successful extra point kicked & field goals are extinct for the most part. This is part of coaching---- maybe not enough coaches to work on this and other parts of the game??? Halftime adjustments---rare. Serious organized and monitored off-season workout programs---I wonder. I have no doubt the Pub has as many , probably more, great athletes but I question the depth and quality of the overall coaching.

My gut is that N-G isn't pulling off that miracle again (but cap tip for getting it done when it mattered) New coach, best player transferred, maybe a couple of others, lost a handful of quality seniors; including best player (DiFrancesco) and QB, and low numbers (According to what I heard, but I can't say for sure). But we'll see. Maybe, I'm unaware of something.
Huck, forgot about Brown going to Tep when I threw it together. Still would have them 2 and 3, but your West boys should be at 2 on my list.

Yo Jive, The only reason I have some doubts about Overbrook being ranked that high is years of seeing many teams in the Phila. Public League with plenty of talent but with coaching staffs that are not on par with the PCL, the Interac or Suburban schools. Sometimes multiple games will not have a successful extra point kicked & field goals are extinct for the most part. This is part of coaching---- maybe not enough coaches to work on this and other parts of the game??? Halftime adjustments---rare. Serious organized and monitored off-season workout programs---I wonder. I have no doubt the Pub has as many , probably more, great athletes but I question the depth and quality of the overall coaching.
Chvalo, I get what you're saying for sure. I looked at D12 AAA and aside from Wood and Tep, where is the great coaching? I'm a NE guy and get to quite a few Ryan games. McArdle is 4-22 in league play, going 0-3 in '13 with the best team he ever had. I don't know if Rendell Ivory is a great football coach or if he would be better suited coaching badminton. The first two are the only two that have any shot at winning D12 AAA, with Wood's chance being very slight IMO. 3, 7, 20 it's not gonna make a difference in the end, this is a 2 horse race.

District 11
4A
1. Parkland

2. Easton
3. Liberty
4. Freedom

5. Whitehall?

Parkland is the big favorite with elite returning skill people and linemen. Probably have the three best players in the Valley. Easton will have killer edge rushers and corners, but will be green on the interior and at linebacker defensively, and everywhere but quarterback and guard on offense. Liberty should be prolific in the passing game but has to prove they can compete again. Freedom could be frisky if their quarterback is recovered from his cracked hip. The five spot is totally up for grabs, I trust the system at Whitehall the most.

Parkland should be one of the co-favorites in the East. Until I see anybody else play, they're the only team I would expect to be in the running state wide.

Chvalo, I get what you're saying for sure. I looked at D12 AAA and aside from Wood and Tep, where is the great coaching? I'm a NE guy and get to quite a few Ryan games. McArdle is 4-22 in league play, going 0-3 in '13 with the best team he ever had. I don't know if Rendell Ivory is a great football coach or if he would be better suited coaching badminton. The first two are the only two that have any shot at winning D12 AAA, with Wood's chance being very slight IMO. 3, 7, 20 it's not gonna make a difference in the end, this is a 2 horse race.
Ryan is not exactly losing to the Little Sisters of the Poor. They upset Wood a couple years ago,,,, but whatever...I stand by my conviction & I bet Ryan's coaching staff has coaches for each position and would beat Overbrook. Now give Ryan's coaching staff Overbrook's talent for 2 years and they might be in Hershey. Time will tell come playoff time about Overbrook & I hope you are correct

Let's put something to rest right now. Overbrook has no shot at being better than Ryan. For starters, as a school that place has serious issues, so whose to say those underclassmen remain on the team. Secondly, they're not that good. I'm sure their coaching staff does the best they can with what they have, tho. A team like Ryan would better coached, more organized, and better fundamentals.

All of the PCL 3A teams have quality coaching. These staffs do a good job.

Ryan has at least 4 OL returning, maybe all five. Yes, I get it. You don't replace a RB like Bullock. Still, they have a solid QB returning. They lost a few good defensive players like McDevitt, Ligouri, and S. Williams (also solid WR), but return a good group on that side of the ball.

I expect Ryan to be a solid club. They probably won't be flashy, but will stick to what they do best and not overthink it. They'll play sound, tough, hard-nosed football. Their staff typically do a good job of not getting out of their comfort zone. This usually gives them a chance.

I'd expect BP to be better than Overbrook, too. For some of the same reasons as I mentioned with Ryan. Losing DiGalbo will create a transition, so we'll see how they move forward with that. They had some young talent.

With all of the back and forth, Rover is the only other person to put a ranking out there. I think this is a fun debate and enjoy seeing what folks think about the upcoming season, but lets see where others rank teams instead of knocking the one person that gave their opinion. Consensus seems to be that Overbrook isn't gonna be too good. OK, I have never been to an Overbrook game so you're all probably right. However, we all look at silary.com for the city top 10. If Overbrook goes 10-2 with their awful schedule (losing to Tep twice) and Ryan goes 5-7, Brook will probably at least be an honorable mention and Ryan won't be listed.

Mactatty,
Maybe Cha Cha Gary? Only a guess, but I think he would be their best option of the players on the current roster.

But that doesn't mean that a 10-2 playing no one is better than a 5-7 team playing a reasonably competitive schedule. You do have to factor that in.

But that doesn't mean that a 10-2 playing no one is better than a 5-7 team playing a reasonably competitive schedule. You do have to factor that in.
I absolutely agree. However, 11-1 Franklin last year would have lost by 30 to 6 or 8 teams behind them in the rankings. They were #6 because they were 11-1 in an awful league, but they did win their league. It makes for a fun debate, but no rankings will ever be perfect. BCS has proven that year after year :)

Cha cha is a wr injury kept him from starting because he was a surprise if he was health he was an all catholic on offensive side.looked at Ted silary site the only back returning with experience although mop up time is Minniti

Cha cha is a wr injury kept him from starting because he was a surprise if he was health he was an all catholic on offensive side.looked at Ted silary site the only back returning with experience although mop up time is Minniti
I know Cha Cha is a WR and I'm familiar with Minniti. Just my opinion, but if they're not gonna throw the ball to Cha Cha 50 times, they may want to move him to RB. Maybe run the QB 20 times per game like Bonner did. I don't know, but I don't think the sophomore is their best option. Any truth to the rumor that Brockington (the basketball player) is gonna play football? Kids a terrific athlete. If he plays, there's your answer at RB for the next 2 years.

Unfortunately my PCL team is irrelevant to the debates ,or I would be in there slugging it out with you guys. Unless Drew Gordon performs a miracle bigger than parting the red sea I will continue to be a PCL observer and one of its biggest fans. My question to the group is besides great coaching and two outstanding running backs what sets the Prep apart from other teams this year and do they have the talent throughout their lineup to win a third straight AAAA title. I know they will be challenged by parkland in the east and anyone of three teams from district 7. What are your thoughts?? Jive ,your rankings were as good as anyone could do

Unfortunately my PCL team is irrelevant to the debates ,or I would be in there slugging it out with you guys. Unless Drew Gordon performs a miracle bigger than parting the red sea I will continue to be a PCL observer and one of its biggest fans. My question to the group is besides great coaching and two outstanding running backs what sets the Prep apart from other teams this year and do they have the talent throughout their lineup to win a third straight AAAA title. I know they will be challenged by parkland in the east and anyone of three teams from district 7. What are your thoughts?? Jive ,your rankings were as good as anyone could do

Thanks Rome! Don't discount your McDevitt boys this year. They return DiLeo and Bryson who are both nice players. If Macon can keep getting better, he will be another threat as well. All they have to do is beat Kipp to get into states, which I think they will. Don't think they'll got to far once they get there, but you should have some cheering to do this year.

Maybe Swift's proven and singular talent is blinding people to the obvious fact that SJP has some big holes to fill, starting at QB. I'm guessing Shaw is the #1 candidate but he has less varsity experience than Clements did before last season. They also return starters DuMond, Mooney, Boyle, Vandevere, Harris, and Walls--and occasional starters Holsopple and Noga--and deep freshmen and sophomore classes. So even more than last year's team, next year's team may struggle early on but has the potential to get a whole lot better as the year goes on.

Oh ok Kidd Jackson will probably start at prep need as many weapons as possible in field this year if they want to win state

Maybe Swift's proven and singular talent is blinding people to the obvious fact that SJP has some big holes to fill, starting at QB. I'm guessing Shaw is the #1 candidate but he has less varsity experience than Clements did before last season. They also return starters DuMond, Mooney, Boyle, Vandevere, Harris, and Walls--and occasional starters Holsopple and Noga--and deep freshmen and sophomore classes. So even more than last year's team, next year's team may struggle early on but has the potential to get a whole lot better as the year goes on.
Thanks Tulla, I just watched the Prep/Pine Richland game again and watched some of the players you mentioned returning. That Bennie Walls is a stud player. Swift was incredible. Got my juices flowing for a great year . All 4 PCL quad A teams should be fun to watch vs.out of league opponents.

Tulla,

Without going into any detail, your information on three of the players you listed is inaccurate.

Tulla,

Without going into any detail, your information on three of the players you listed is inaccurate.

I'm happy to be corrected, so please let me know what's wrong. About the QBs, I was referring to experience in varsity games where Clements played two complete games in '13 and in parts--including a fairly big part of the Ryan game--of some others. And were any of those I listed as starters not starters? You're making wonder if some won't be returners.

SJP is high on another soph QB M. McCray. Interestingly, he comes from the North Penn SD.

What about District 1? Parkland/SJP will be the state champ game but who can make some noise in District 1 this year?

The Prep/Parkland game would be for the Eastern championship not the final. That is if those two make it that far. I think District 1 will be among several teams without a clear cut favorite. my early favorites would be Coatsville and North Penn. I would also like to hear others input on District 1 .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT