ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL 6A

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
Here's my take on the WPIAL 6A. Haven't had as much time to talk to people about these teams, but I think the ordering is roughly correct.

1. PCC: PCC is the defending WPIAL champ and return a boatload of talent led by lineman Donovan Hinish (ND commit). They return several other defensive standouts including Specca at LB (ND Offer), and Barron and Younger in the secondary. Newcomers to watch on D are a talented DE (don't have his name, but in a long line of great DE's) and Xaviar Thomas who is only a freshman. On offense, they return starting QB Wehner (Sophomore) but are reloading on the perimeter. Mars transfer Peter Gonzales figures to help at WR. The key addition may be adding P-R's old QB coach Jochem to modernize their offense.

2. NA: The will be solid as usual and their defense should be excellent being led by Porter at DE (son of ex-steeler) and Dinkins in the secondary or OLB. Also, a skill player to watch is Alualu (son of current steeler). Otherwise, they look like a typical NA team - well coached, play hard, and like to run the ball. With that being said, I have heard that they have the best skill guys on offense they have had since 2017. Not sure who the QB will be though and the biggest question is will Coach Walker let them open it up at all.

3. Lebo: This is supposed to be Lebo's year. Lef by 3 year starter Daniels at QB, the also have Heidenrich (sp? Navy commit) at WR. Coach Palko has had 3 years to install his system and they are counting on seniors to help them break through to the next level. (They beat PCC last year in the regular season, then reverted to form and got beat handily by them in Playoffs.) Key loss for them was their best OL (not sure name) who tore is ACL in Lacrosse this spring.

[GAP]

4. Seneca Valley: Seneca Valley's biggest addition are the OC Lehmeier and OL Sasson from P-R. They figure the help juice up SV's generally staid offense. SV will be HUGE at skill averaging around 6'2 190, but lack a proven triggerman. Also a burner in Yurich who played LB last year but figures to play RB in 2021. Also, Lambert at H back may be their best looking specimen at 6'3" 250. I think they will be better, but everything I hear is that they are a year away. If OC Lehmeier and OL Sasson stay another year, look for 2022 to be the year for them to break through and win a WPIAL.

[GAP]

5. Canon-Mac: Don't really know much. Lost a good senior class but will struggle against big boys I think. Well coached though.
6. Buter: Same old, except Kleinbacher (sp?) at TE is a MAC level prospect.
7. Norwin: Same
8. Hempfield: Same
9. Baldwin: Same

Everybody the same - some additional comments below from sources. LoL:

1. PCC: McKeesport had a nice first drive before PCC settled in. Offense is a clone of P-R with ex-QB coach there now.

2. NA: Did not look great on offense. Can't beleive they can't find a QB. Defense was solid. Not huge. Porter at D is explosive.

3. Lebo: Solid, but not spectacular. Was expecting more from Tecza and Heidenrich and Daniels. Losing best lineman in spring to ACL hurt their size.

4. Seneca Valley: Also running P-R's offense. Like NA, have QB issues. Defense was same, but front 7 seemed a little down.

Been a really long time for this one, but things are clearer.

1. Lebo: Their seniors have really stepped up, led by Tecza running the ball on offense. They aren't huge on either side of the ball, but coach Palko has them coached up. They play like a veteran team. They don't get rattled and do their things. Hand injury to Daniels (QB) may factor into things, but that looks to be short term.

[Big Drop]

2. PCC: Exact opposite of Lebo. Very young and mistake prone on both sides of the ball. Can't remember last time a PCC defense gave up 250+ yards to one player. Offensively, if Caruthers is not able to run the ball, they depend on all sophomores. OL and DL are down from years past.

3. North Allegheny: It close between NA and SV, but will give it to NA for now. Bad weather last friday may have led to Coach Walker scrapping their spread offense and going back to the wing t. May help in the short term, but they lack the talent this year to compete with Lebo.

4. SV: Went to 2OT to beat Canon MacMillen. They have Lebo and NA coming up to end year. Defense is solid, but they seem like they are still working on understanding and executing the new offense. OL is weak link.

5. Canon-MacMillen: It would have been a program building win if they could have beat SV at SV last week, but they fell short. Well coached and they play hard, but overall lack of skill holds them back. I think QB Is an underclassman (and coaches son) so future may be brighter.

Hempfield, Norwin and Baldwin all are bad.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Nice break down new and I agree with you. Mt lebo is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the pack. Ive kind of foresaw them being a power house but didn't think it would happened this fast. I figured with Palko taking over and Kasperowicz leaving pine Richland the talent would start shifting to them and Seneca valley. I do think lebo will have trouble with Erie McDowell when the meet in the playoffs. McDowell is big and physical. Pcc needs a new coaching staff. They have so much talent but run the same predictable offence and refuse to change. If pcc could get a Kasperowicz or Palko type coach watch out. I do love that 6a is wide open this year with some new contenders in the state.

Reactions: new2pa
Nice break down new and I agree with you. Mt lebo is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the pack. Ive kind of foresaw them being a power house but didn't think it would happened this fast. I figured with Palko taking over and Kasperowicz leaving pine Richland the talent would start shifting to them and Seneca valley. I do think lebo will have trouble with Erie McDowell when the meet in the playoffs. McDowell is big and physical. Pcc needs a new coaching staff. They have so much talent but run the same predictable offence and refuse to change. If pcc could get a Kasperowicz or Palko type coach watch out. I do love that 6a is wide open this year with some new contenders in the state.
I doubt any kids are shifting to those schools. This is Lebo’s first real shot at a run in a very long time, and they are senior heavy. Palko is a great coach but you need the players consistently. SV has also been perennially average. Maybe it changes in the playoffs or next season running PR’s offensive scheme. The only 6A schools getting kids are PCC and NA. Soph WR from mars transferred to pcc this summer, Seneca valley is a lot closer up the road if you get what I’m saying. NA has multiple kids come in just about every off season. I think garnering interest from potential transfers has to do more with the connections these coaches have then actually winning games and building a program.

Also PCC is running a spread this year very similar to what PR ran in years past. They have the former pr qb coach as an offensive assistant. Although still run heavy they’ve been more efficient spreading it out this year and all the skill players are young. They certainly have all the tools to become a potent passing team in the future.

I doubt any kids are shifting to those schools. This is Lebo’s first real shot at a run in a very long time, and they are senior heavy. Palko is a great coach but you need the players consistently. SV has also been perennially average. Maybe it changes in the playoffs or next season running PR’s offensive scheme. The only 6A schools getting kids are PCC and NA. Soph WR from mars transferred to pcc this summer, Seneca valley is a lot closer up the road if you get what I’m saying. NA has multiple kids come in just about every off season. I think garnering interest from potential transfers has to do more with the connections these coaches have then actually winning games and building a program.

Also PCC is running a spread this year very similar to what PR ran in years past. They have the former pr qb coach as an offensive assistant. Although still run heavy they’ve been more efficient spreading it out this year and all the skill players are young. They certainly have all the tools to become a potent passing team in the future.

Last edited:
There is no doubt the talent has been shifting in Pittsburgh. Pcc did get yochum but thier offence is not there yet. They are trying to run the spread but it's far from polished. Most their success comes from running the ball. With all the talent they have every year they should be better then they are and most everyone will agree with me it's the coaching. If they would get a Palko or Kasperowicz type coach that would put them over the top.

PCC is interesting to look at on offense now. They are playing a soph QB and 2 soph WR's. That's a formula P-R used for a decade to build to championship teams.

I can't actually believe people still talk about NA. It's been a decade since they won anything. Maybe this year is their year, but they got spanked by both PCC and Lebo and have SV coming up. I'm not holding my breath for them to get good again, with or without transfers.

NA beats Canon Mac to set up the following semifinal matchups.

#4 NA @ #1 Mt Lebanon
#3 Seneca Valley @ #2 PCC

NA beats Canon Mac to set up the following semifinal matchups.

#4 NA @ #1 Mt Lebanon
#3 Seneca Valley @ #2 PCC
I think both lebo and Pcc come away with the W to set up the rematch at Hines. I think this games will be a lot closer the second time around. Pcc is tough to beat twice and defence wins championships and Pcc's strength is thier D. Im picking lebo but in a much closer game.

Championship in 6A is at Norwin. It seems very unlikely that 6A will ever be back at Heinz because of the dropping number of 6A teams in the WPIAL. Down to 7.

This doesn't have to do with the playoffs, but have been hearing a bunch of stuff over the past several week about next years enrollment.

1. PCC is a 5A school by enrollment and unless they win the state title, will not have to move up to 6A.
2. ECP if they win a couple PIAA games, will get moved up from 5A to 6A because of the success factor.
3. WPIAL and D10 have been talking about bring McDowell and Erie High ( and ECP I guess) into one conference.
4. WPIAL has reached back out to Altoona to see if they would want to join.
5. Tons of rumors that P-R will either decide to play 6A or be forced up (need a WPIAL title for this to be possible). I'm not sure about transfers.

If PCC would elect to move up to 6A, and the rest would happened, the conference would be:

1. Erie High
2. McDowell
3. ECP
4. Seneca Valley
5. Pine Richland
6. North Allegheny
7. Central Catholic
8. Hempfield
9. Norwin
10. Canon MacMillon
11. Lebo
12. Altoona

First 6 would be the North Division, Last 6 would be the Southeast Division.

I would be VERY interesting if you could get State College and Mifflin County as well - along with Butler and Williamsport (if not 5A). Then you would have 16 with divisions like:

North:
1. Erie
2. McDowell
3. ECP
4. Butler

East:
1. State College
2. Williamsport
3. Altoona
4. Mifflin County

West
1. Seneca Valley
2. NA
3. P-R
4. Central

Southeast
1. Norwin
2. Hempfield
3. Lebo
4. CMAC

The north is the existing D10 big school conference. Butler would stay happy with that. East is local travel. West is a meatgrinder. South is not.

Play all the teams in your Pod each year (3 games), play one other pod each year (rotating yearly, 4 games) and play the equivalent team in the other two pods (2 games - NFL model - winners play winner, losers play losers).

9 Games plus Week 0. Now that would be cool!

Feel free to share with powers that be....

Reactions: Stalker
I've wondered why SC, Altoona, Cent Mt, Mif Cty, Wport, Hollidaysburg don't form their own conf. Some face monster drives and Altoona can't make up mind if they want to be Wpial or Mid Penn. Can't win in either and I know they didn't return to MP because it's easier, meaning there is some other reason.

I think the Wpial would be FAR more competitive and fun if they'd drop their insistence of worrying about Classification/Conference structure and let teams play where their talent level takes them.

In PIAA you can always go up in class if you want but in Dist-3 you'll be booted lower if you can't perform at whatever level you're at; eg 5A Waynesboro (recently 6A) not in Commonwealth or Keystone that are mostly larger schools because they couldn't compete. If they keep winning (9-2 this year) they'll be forced up. Except for the MP-Commonwealth where all happen to be 6A, all the other 4 divisions are a mix of classifications per their competitiveness; wins and losses....period.

I was able to watch both PCC/SV and Lebo/NA

Lebo/NA: Lebo offense was not good against an improved NA defense. And QB hurt ankle and didn’t return in second half. They scored on pick-6, punt return, strip sack and scramble. Lebo D was very solid and really fly around. Looked like they may have gotten a big kid hurt, but seemed to play fine anyway. A little surprised since Tecza and Heidenrich have been outstanding all year. Regarding NA, they end the year 7-5 and look a little lost on O. They switched between spread, wing t, and I on an almost series by series basis. OL coach is retiring from teaching at semester. Maybe some shake up happening.

PCC/SV: This was the best PCC offense has looked all year by a wide margin. Looked like they found a perfect mix of P-R spread and PCC tradition of running ball. QB play was really good - they ran him quite a bit and he only had a few incompletions while passing for 3 TD. OL looked to jelling too. Carothers was hurt and didn’t play second half, but #3 came in and was fantastic. SV O was not good. Lots of 2 TE stuff and doesn’t seem like ex P-R guys there have the personnel to do what they have done before with the spread. A general lack of explosiveness. PCC D was solid, but with Specka out, they are quit small at LB. Hinish is a monster with a high motor though.

The championship game will be interesting. If Lebo QB out, it could be close. If he plays, I look for Lebo to win by at least a TD. Of course, Lebo O looked bad, and PCC O looked good. I guess you can’t count out the defending champs.

New alignments where released for WPIAL 6A this afternoon - 558+ boys in grades 9-11:

PCC
North Allegheny
Seneca Valley
Mt. Lebanon
Canon-Mac

Baldwin, Hempfield and Norwin are going down to 5A. Canon-Mac is one student away from going down as well. Woof...

Wow, that is crazy and sad!! I think that is not really "possible?" Meaning to combine 5 and 6 in WPIAL? This really seems like a by-product of shrinking population in Western PA? I know some schools might be "okay with it" but jeez- if Aliquippa goes UP, they might have play Lebo, PCC or NA?? Also, just does not seem okay, for multiple schools, who might be "typical 5A schools" to play schools literally TWICE the size of their school? NA and Seneca have like 8 - 9 thousand total students, most 5A have around 4 thousand.

I just meant conferences with 5A and 6A teams, or more crossovers. Quips could play schools with 10x more kids.

Even though they will never go back now that they've already done 6 classifications but the piaa should of only went to 5 classifications.

Wow, that is crazy and sad!! I think that is not really "possible?" Meaning to combine 5 and 6 in WPIAL? This really seems like a by-product of shrinking population in Western PA? I know some schools might be "okay with it" but jeez- if Aliquippa goes UP, they might have play Lebo, PCC or NA?? Also, just does not seem okay, for multiple schools, who might be "typical 5A schools" to play schools literally TWICE the size of their school? NA and Seneca have like 8 - 9 thousand total students, most 5A have around 4 thousand.
Other conferences have been combining classes for years. Why can't the Wpial do it except for stubborness. It's not a new approach at all! I mentioned/suggested it to "New" some weeks ago, surprised they hadn't done it already.

Are you referring to the total school Districts with those student numbers ??

Other conferences have been combining classes for years. Why can't the Wpial do it except for stubborness. It's not a new approach at all! I mentioned/suggested it to "New" some weeks ago, surprised they hadn't done it already.

Yes, it is crazy. They have done crossovers in all the classes but just a few games. The claim in the paper is so few 5A teams wanted to play 6A teams. I think that's gotta happen now or they have to blow up how 6A is scheduled - and allow them schedule who they want (by the AD's)

Interesting New. I thought it is just the opposite with 6As not wanting to play 5As. Realistically, who's afraid of 6A's in D7 apart from Pitt CC, Lebo very new to the scene forgetting their historic accomplishments, NA..? and inconsistent Sen Val vs 5A teams PRich, PHills, PTraf, Gate, Woody, Moon, USC, Peters, etc. I wonder if that's a misprint.
It's always fun for fans and players (and revealing) mixing it up during the season like D3 did this year, having an exceptionally competitive season; everyone playing everyone at least at the upper levels. It offered a clearer picture of the power structure when 4A McDevitt engages 5A Cedar Cliff (conf game) and 6A Harrisburg, 5A GMif vs 4A Berks, 5A Man Cent vs 6A Cumberland Valley, Wilson, Perk Val, etc on a regular basis.

I think a better way for me to say it is that nobody wants to get stuck playing PCC or NA. I know that P-R and Penn Hills have no problem doing it this year (both lost), but not sure anybody else wants to sign up for that - although at this point its not like these are the PCC and NA teams of 5-10 years ago. As you say, Penn-Trafford beat Norwin and Hempfield (both now 5A) and Moon handled SV easily. NA didn't play any 5A teams after originally being scheduled for P-R and USC I believe. The petitioned the WPIAL in 2020 to get open dates.

I think its more perception than anything.

WPIAL 6A is going to have only 5 teams:

1. NA
2. PCC
3. Seneca Valley
4. Lebo
5. Canon McMillen

They are probably going to have to enter the state bracket in the round of 16 or even 32. First PIAA game will likely be Pgh City League (D8) and then probably D9/D10 winner. YUCK!

WPIAL 6A is going to have only 5 teams:

1. NA
2. PCC
3. Seneca Valley
4. Lebo
5. Canon McMillen

They are probably going to have to enter the state bracket in the round of 16 or even 32. First PIAA game will likely be Pgh City League (D8) and then probably D9/D10 winner. YUCK!
Yuck indeed. Sounds like a smooth ride deep into the postseason with 10 only having McDowell tho they can field nasty teams. And If Cathedral gets to 6A, now you have a game!
Won't State College and Altoona who like McDowell can field quality teams in D6 be involved? I like the direction Altoona is headed with their coach and SC has good stuff every couple of years.
Hopefully things change at NA (offense), but it's hard arguing success of which they've had bushels of.

I just look at things again - these are the team that will be in that bracket. This would be more similar to what they already have.

D2: DelVal, Hazleton, Scarnton, Walkes Barre
D4: Williamsport
D6: Altoona, Mifflin Cty, State College
D7: WPIAL
D8: Allderdice
D10 has McDowell, Erie High, Butler, and now ECP.

PIAA First Round: D10 vs. D8
PIAA First Round: D6 vs. D4
PIAA First Round: WPIAL 6A Finals
PIAA First Found D2 Finals
PIAA Quarters: D8/D10 Winner Plays WPIAL
PIAA Quarters: D6/D4 Winner vs. D2
PIAA Semis: Subregional Winner Plays D3

About the only fair way to mix this up is to have the D11/12 Winner, instead of the D3 winner play the "WESTERN" winner. And people hated that...

Rumor is strong NA is losing their OL coach, hence their dabbling with the spread this year. Coach Walker will never been on the hot seat, but they have one WPIAL finals appearance in 10 years and no championships. Next year SV should be loaded and Lebo is definitely back with a program. And of course PCC.

Rumor is strong NA is losing their OL coach, hence their dabbling with the spread this year. Coach Walker will never been on the hot seat, but they have one WPIAL finals appearance in 10 years and no championships. Next year SV should be loaded and Lebo is definitely back with a program. And of course PCC.
Thanks for the info and work New.

Reactions: lilromeo and new2pa
New, I'm still doing Post 2021 records/reviews getting a handle on what happened, reviewing the entire season in Dist-3, similar to last year's review/preview of Dist-1 wanting to do something for the "locals". Ha.

Also looking forward to PIAA figuring out the classes with their emphasis to rope in Vo-Tech school's impact on numbers and those numbers being counted uniformly, eg Southern Columbia tho there are others.

Other areas of work are the Berks FB League merging with the Lancaster-Lebanon. What will scheduling/classifications look like? I'll be posting when all that is done.

Last edited:
New, I'm still doing Post 2021 records/reviews getting a handle on what happened, reviewing the entire season in Dist-3, similar to last year's review/preview of Dist-1 wanting to do something for the "locals". Ha.

Also looking forward to PIAA figuring out the classes with their emphasis to rope in Vo-Tech school's impact on numbers and those numbers being counted uniformly, eg Southern Columbia tho there are others.

Other areas of work are the Berks FB League merging with the Lancaster-Lebanon. What will scheduling/classifications look like? I'll be posting when all that is done.
Oops!

I think we should find out next week the final classifications including play-ups.

Any clear projections for you guys; heard Pitt CC will stay at 6

Before the recount, PCC was 5A and publicly said they would play 6A. The are now 6A by enrollment. Baldwin, Hempfield, Norwin going to 5A now. Canon McMillon staying 6A by 1 kid. I'm pretty sure all that's been reported in the PG and Trib out here from information provided by AD's. (On the old cutoffs before the recount, CMAC would have also been 5A.)

Before the recount, PCC was 5A and publicly said they would play 6A. The are now 6A by enrollment. Baldwin, Hempfield, Norwin going to 5A now. Canon McMillon staying 6A by 1 kid. I'm pretty sure all that's been reported in the PG and Trib out here from information provided by AD's. (On the old cutoffs before the recount, CMAC would have also been 5A.)
Thanks New. I catch some of this via Trib but appreciate your views as much. I hope they come to their senses and merge classes. Maybe even go with a point system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT