ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL 6A

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
I've had a chance to see the top 3 teams in person and have heard/read quite a bit about the others. Here's a rundown.

1. Pine-Richland: They are number one until they are beaten. Their defense is GOOD. Better than last year. The secondary hasn't been tested much, but have done well. The front 7 is big, fast, and strong. It looks like they have found a couple additional interior DL so that Kristofic and Katic don't have to play both ways very much.Besides those two and King, defense is all one-way players. Offense looks very different from last year. Much more run oriented. OL is massive - 6'0" 260 is "smallest" and none of them are sloppy. They can all run. Pass game looks good, however, they don't use it much. They are mercy ruling teams faster than last year - mainly because of the defensive getting quick stops and scores. 2 of past 3 games have been at the 35 point mark by 8 min in second quarter.The biggest thing to watch going forward is if young offensive skill can make one or two plays a game against good teams.

2. North Allegheny: Their defense looks faster than last year, but not as big up front. Still talented and well coached. The defensive secondary is strength of the team lead by Joey Porter, Jr. He's the real deal. LB core plays downhill, but not great side to side. Offensively, its the same old stuff and executed well. Not as big with the Devine boy. Younger Lugg is a work in progress from what I saw. Not as much wing T when I saw them play PCC, but some. QB got hurt that game but have capable backup. Maenza at RB looked like their best offensive player. Pass game is undeveloped.

3. PCC: Their defensive line is very big and active. Best part of their defense. Played a lot of 5 man front with 2 LB's vs. NA. LB's are hard nosed kids. #2 Sunseri is best of the bunch. Not a lot of 2 way players, but #5 Gavin Thompson does go both ways. Offensively, they are very challenged. OL is average at best. Pass game needs work - best play was to throw it deep to #5 and let him make a play. They are a power, counter, trap team. Biggest concern is it literally looks like 2 teams on sideline - offense vs. defense. Have heard rumblings of that being an issue. But I'm sure Coach T will get them straight. Very close games to Seneca Valley and Hempfield have people wondering just how good they really are.

4. Seneca Valley: Played PCC tough on the scoreboard. People saying that they are big and solid on defense. Offense is OK up front, but skill guys are suspect. Need more consistent QB play. They are the largest school in the WPIAL and should be better IMO.

5. Mt. Lebanon: Lost to Seneca this past week which was a little bit of a shocker. Have a really nice QB, but not much else. Head Coach took over defense, but haven't shown to really be able to stop anyone. Need to find OL and DL that can play before they can take the next step.

6. Norwin: Lots of pre-season talk, but after a thumping by NA in Week 1, they turned out to be the same old Norwin. QB Salopek is good. Rizzo and Thrift are other playmakers, but they don't have enough up front to make a difference. Salopek offered by PItt.

7. Canon-McMillen: Improved team and played both Seneca Valley and NA very close. Well coached but need more talent to get over the hump. Should be able to build off strong NA effort and push for 6th playoff spot. Need to beat Hempfield and Norwin.

8. Hempfield: Saw them play P-R. Play hard, but not much talent. Very young. Took it to PCC last week though - time will tell if they played over their head or PCC just isn't that good.

9. Butler: Not good. They are years away from winning a 6A game IMO. They do have some big kids, but aren't close to anyone else I've seen.

I've had a chance to see the top 3 teams in person and have heard/read quite a bit about the others. Here's a rundown.

1. Pine-Richland: They are number one until they are beaten. Their defense is GOOD. Better than last year. The secondary hasn't been tested much, but have done well. The front 7 is big, fast, and strong. It looks like they have found a couple additional interior DL so that Kristofic and Katic don't have to play both ways very much.Besides those two and King, defense is all one-way players. Offense looks very different from last year. Much more run oriented. OL is massive - 6'0" 260 is "smallest" and none of them are sloppy. They can all run. Pass game looks good, however, they don't use it much. They are mercy ruling teams faster than last year - mainly because of the defensive getting quick stops and scores. 2 of past 3 games have been at the 35 point mark by 8 min in second quarter.The biggest thing to watch going forward is if young offensive skill can make one or two plays a game against good teams.

2. North Allegheny: Their defense looks faster than last year, but not as big up front. Still talented and well coached. The defensive secondary is strength of the team lead by Joey Porter, Jr. He's the real deal. LB core plays downhill, but not great side to side. Offensively, its the same old stuff and executed well. Not as big with the Devine boy. Younger Lugg is a work in progress from what I saw. Not as much wing T when I saw them play PCC, but some. QB got hurt that game but have capable backup. Maenza at RB looked like their best offensive player. Pass game is undeveloped.

3. PCC: Their defensive line is very big and active. Best part of their defense. Played a lot of 5 man front with 2 LB's vs. NA. LB's are hard nosed kids. #2 Sunseri is best of the bunch. Not a lot of 2 way players, but #5 Gavin Thompson does go both ways. Offensively, they are very challenged. OL is average at best. Pass game needs work - best play was to throw it deep to #5 and let him make a play. They are a power, counter, trap team. Biggest concern is it literally looks like 2 teams on sideline - offense vs. defense. Have heard rumblings of that being an issue. But I'm sure Coach T will get them straight. Very close games to Seneca Valley and Hempfield have people wondering just how good they really are.

4. Seneca Valley: Played PCC tough on the scoreboard. People saying that they are big and solid on defense. Offense is OK up front, but skill guys are suspect. Need more consistent QB play. They are the largest school in the WPIAL and should be better IMO.

5. Mt. Lebanon: Lost to Seneca this past week which was a little bit of a shocker. Have a really nice QB, but not much else. Head Coach took over defense, but haven't shown to really be able to stop anyone. Need to find OL and DL that can play before they can take the next step.

6. Norwin: Lots of pre-season talk, but after a thumping by NA in Week 1, they turned out to be the same old Norwin. QB Salopek is good. Rizzo and Thrift are other playmakers, but they don't have enough up front to make a difference. Salopek offered by PItt.

7. Canon-McMillen: Improved team and played both Seneca Valley and NA very close. Well coached but need more talent to get over the hump. Should be able to build off strong NA effort and push for 6th playoff spot. Need to beat Hempfield and Norwin.

8. Hempfield: Saw them play P-R. Play hard, but not much talent. Very young. Took it to PCC last week though - time will tell if they played over their head or PCC just isn't that good.

9. Butler: Not good. They are years away from winning a 6A game IMO. They do have some big kids, but aren't close to anyone else I've seen.

I don't think there are enough teams in 6A. I think next realignment some of these schools that dropped down will be back up in 6A. You almost have to with only 9 teams.

I don't think that will happen unless lots of schools in the Philly suburbs get smaller. 6A isn't decided locally as I understand it - its based on the number of school statewide. And most of the school around Pittsburgh are getting smaller - just look at the eastern suburbs (Woody, Gateway, McKeesport, Penn Hills - all previously 4A/6A). Not bigger. Maybe Peters Twp moves up next cycle (maybe) and maybe at some point Mars becomes 6A, but other than that, I don't see it happening.

I've seen neither but I'd say either Manheim Township or CD. Rematch of last weeks game.
CD is finally discovering a passing game and with health will be a load.
I don't think that will happen unless lots of schools in the Philly suburbs get smaller. 6A isn't decided locally as I understand it - its based on the number of school statewide. And most of the school around Pittsburgh are getting smaller - just look at the eastern suburbs (Woody, Gateway, McKeesport, Penn Hills - all previously 4A/6A). Not bigger. Maybe Peters Twp moves up next cycle (maybe) and maybe at some point Mars becomes 6A, but other than that, I don't see it happening.
Are all you guys forgetting Harrisburg in D3 who is now 6A?

Population shift in Western PA is a real concern for many districts. It seems the old Mill/coal towns will continue to shrink and consolidate as time goes on. So look the richer districts to continue to grow. I think what needs to happen in Western PA is mass consolidation in all counties. Prime example in in my native county of Greene, you have 5 districts(Carmichaels, Jefferson Morgan, Mapletown, Waynesburg, West Greene). I think there should be just 2. Fayette County should have 4 districts not 6 , Washington County should have 8 not 14 ect ect. This would provide a better academic and athletic opportunity for the schools in Western PA

Seems like Coatesville vs. Prep in the 6A final would be the safe bet. I would actually give Coatesville the slight advantage this year with last year's loss being the motivation.

CD is finally discovering a passing game and with health will be a load.

Are all you guys forgetting Harrisburg in D3 who is now 6A?

I saw the Harrisburg vs. Coatesville game on YouTube. I thought both teams were talented, but think Harrisburg would need to get more consistent in what they do. Of course, time will tell. I think they play CD in a couple weeks, so we'll find out!

Seems like Coatesville vs. Prep in the 6A final would be the safe bet. I would actually give Coatesville the slight advantage this year with last year's loss being the motivation.

Not sure what Coatesville has coming back on D, but they would need to play great versus SJP's skill. SJP has OL coming back I believe, but I think Coatesville's athleticism could hold their own in the run game. SJP lost most of the LB's, so those guys would have to step up to slow down Coatesville attack.

I want to see SJP offense vs. PR Defense. I think PR would stop the run game and make the new QB throw the ball. He's looks really talented and with Harrison on the squad, quite a threat.

Reactions: lilromeo
I saw the Harrisburg vs. Coatesville game on YouTube. I thought both teams were talented, but think Harrisburg would need to get more consistent in what they do. Of course, time will tell. I think they play CD in a couple weeks, so we'll find out!
Consistency is an issue at Harrisburg although they have improved significantly the last two weeks as Qb transfer Kane Everson gets it. He is special. Harris comes to Landis in two weeks for an epic encounter with Central Dauphin.

That’s why I don’t come here anymore. A WPIAL thread gets hijacked to talk E PA football.

Jimbo - I hear you. From a personal level, I follow 6A football very closely because of Easton and WPIAL 6A is just not a lot of fun. So many of the programs that made 4A so awesome are in 5A after thesplit and 6A is super predictable. It’s kind of a “big 3, little 6” with PR dominating that big 3 the last two years.

Is North Allegheny good enough to knock them off?

Reactions: JACKY6996
Jimbo - I hear you. From a personal level, I follow 6A football very closely because of Easton and WPIAL 6A is just not a lot of fun. So many of the programs that made 4A so awesome are in 5A after thesplit and 6A is super predictable. It’s kind of a “big 3, little 6” with PR dominating that big 3 the last two years.

Is North Allegheny good enough to knock them off?

I agree with you, the 6 classes really watered down the competition everywhere. One can only imagine if it was still 4 classes what 4A in the wpial would look like. All the 6A teams then add in good/decent 5A teams in like peters township, penn hills, penn trafford, mckeesport, Upper saint clair etc. Would be great parity in the playoffs.

Outside the img game NA and PR have been rolling through their schedules. PR first team defense held norwin to 47 total yards of offense last night, pretty sure besides the img game PR defense with starters has only given up a touchdown. The soph QB continues to improve each week. I think what sets NA and PR apart is PR can pass a heck of a lot better than NA can, even though they haven't passed nearly as much this year as last. Don't think either team is too far apart from each other, it'll be interesting when they finally play at the end of the regular season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT