ADVERTISEMENT

Wood vs Cheltenham: This years most intriguing game

district1elite

Nov 3, 2017
This 5A title game between Wood and Cheltenham has so many intrigues and storylines I can’t help but get overly hyped for it. I’m more excited about this game than The Prep vs CD game and certainly more than the stinking Eagles and Giants on Monday night. It’s also a great thing for Southeastern PA football and possibly the SOL. I wish this game was relocated to a local stadium where it could have a chance to sell out with standing room only and pack the house. A throw back style game. I’ve traveled up to Hershey when The Prep and Swift won and it was without a doubt a cool experience for me, a fan, and I’m sure an awesome experience for players and staffs but nothing beats a championship game with no where to move in the stands or by the fence surrounding the field and thats at any level of football.

Cheltenham’s season schedule doesn’t compare to Woods strength of schedule but if you’re a winner you’re a winner. You find ways to win regardless the opponent. A win is a win is a win. That #1 for Chelty is no joke on both sides of the ball especially at WR, a dynamic playmaker whose moved around from the flank to the slot and even the backfield. He must be accounted for every play. However, what stands out to me opposite the offense is Cheltenham’s secondary. They play like line backers. Safeties filling Alleys and making tackles at the 2nd level and the perimeter, thats big time stuff that I think a lot of casual fans may not notice. I believe the secondary will play a huge role in stopping Woods rushing game. I can’t exactly say that about their game vs Cocalico with a shootout like that but I don’t see this games over going beyond 55 pts... but don’t hold me to it.

I’m going with Cheltenham winning 35-17.

Am I underrating Wood? Yes, for sure. Am I overrating Cheltenham? Absolutely! But like the late syndicated sportswriter Grantland Rice once said in reference to heavyweight styles clashing, “Styles make fights”. I don’t know if Wood has enough dogs in this fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stalker
Didn’t Cocalico rush for 425+ yards?
New....they rushed for 495 yards; Cody Shay 151, Noah Palm 195, Ron Zalm 50, Steven Flinton 56, Austin Vang 32, Mike Ulysse 11. Really missed Zalm out late 1st qtr. Missed more at SS than backfield tho he was a player at 655 on year with 82 tackles, particularly thinking Chelt's last drive without Zalm directing things hurt. Their Veer is wicked!

Reactions: new2pa
Academy Park drove the ball down the field and scored in under a minute to go. Unfortunately, the coach didn't go for the extra point to sent it in to overtime. He went for two and got stopped.

Cheltenham played in a weak league. In the playoffs they have given up a lot of points. Line play is the big difference and Wood will pound it and
dominate line play and use the clock.

Reactions: Foootballfan1
I don’t think Wood will have a chance at mercy ruling them. It’s a hard game to call. Cheltenham is talented. And very story book. I do believe unfortunately that 5A is a very weak classification.

Throughout the playoffs I would say Cheltenham has had the tougher road to Hershey.
Cheltenham played in a weak league. In the playoffs they have given up a lot of points. Line play is the big difference and Wood will pound it and
dominate line play and use the clock.

1 of Woods playoff opponents were 1-10 in Ryan who they already beat. 1-10........ Pick a team from wherever and replace them. I’m sure the team selected would travel anywhere for a shot. MLK isn’t great either. No wonder Wood hasn’t given up many points. Last 3 teams Cheltenham played were Kennet 10-3, Academy Park 11-3, Cocalico 11-3. Wood finds a way last week while Cheltenham has found ways 2 win 2 weeks in a row. You say weak American league but I say underrated. PW goes and beats Abington and the American runner up is in the 5A state finals. The playoffs is a brand new season anyway. 5 games, 4 being good football teams can break the mold...Most business like practices.

1st Team DB/RB Jahmir Barnes (Albany, Army, Holy Cross, Lafayette, James Madison)

1st Team WR/DB Nate Edwards 17 TDs

1st Team DB Lateef Harris

*Cheltenham 3 1st team dbacks

1st Team DE: Darrenmeen Xayamoungkhoun

Last edited:
Ahhh, you do realize who Wood plays in the regular season correct. It’s not Kennett, AP, and Cocalico.

If we are being honest about competition not just competition over few weeks Wood has played way better teams. Doesn’t mean Cheltenham won’t win but convincing yourself over who has played who is wrong tact in my opinion.

This not great Wood team by their standards. Think we probably just saw that District 1 was not fantastic at 6a level this year especially defensively. My guess is District 1 Peter principle in 5a happens this week. Beating Abington and PW who got housed in 6a by flawed teams doesn’t give me great confidence they are ready to beat Wood.

I already mentioned Woods strength of schedule in the regular season in comparison to Cheltenham. The playoffs is a new season however and week 1 was 15 weeks ago. Everyone is a improved team in the playoffs barring injuries. Cheltenham won their side of the bracket just like Wood did. If Roman Catholic can beat Wood so can Chelty according to your logic. Does Wood beat Cocalito and Academy Park back to back? Sure, maybe but Cheltenham is just as much battle tested as Wood with pulling out these last 2 wins. A team in the course of 5 weeks of playoff games can improve a ton. Academy Park and Cocalito aren’t pushovers by any means nor is Gateway. To me being battle tested is coming out on top and Wood hasn’t done that with the Prep or Peddie (obvious reasons) or Roman. I don’t understand the scheduling of Peddie... I mean I do but how much experience was gained to lose the following week to a decent Roman Catholic team... Granted, playing The Prep and Peddie brings good experience in a loss It’s moot to bring them up but Roman? Wood also played cupcakes: Central Dauphin East, Father Judge, Ryan x2, MLK., maybe Southern Lehigh wasn’t as strong as their record indicated. I respectfully disagree and in terms of Kennet and In regards to Kennet, Cocalito, and Academy park I think 2 of the 3 are absolutely tough games for Wood or anyone in 5A during the season or playoffs... Academy parks schedule wasn’t easy either. Went and beat 2 6A teams early in Pennsbury and Truman, then loses to a undefeated 14-0 Martinburg out in WV and split with a scrappy Penn Wood team. Cocalito sees Manheim Catholic and Manheim Central in back to back weeks and ends up beating Wilson who beat Central twice and loses week 10 to Warwick... my point is these teams are all tough opponents 4 weeks straight after beating Springfield. Cheltenham is in full stride going into this game.

4 plays combined in 2 separate semi finals and we might be talking about Gateway vs Cocalito for the state finals.

*Cocalico********* x5 typos

Last edited:
Oh GG Wood had 2 tough games this year, LS and Prep. And LS lost their only weapon in second half. Wood gets no points for playing rest of that league. They lost to Roman because they were down a couple due to injuries and I am sure the Wood faithful would tell you they shouldn't have lost that game. This is not a mercy game. These teams and players know each other well. Prediction is a high scoring game, into 4th quarter as a one score game, Chelt scores late again to win 42-38.

Cheltenham may win. Wood isn’t as good as they have been. Point being they better be a lot worse given recent events. Each time in past they played a District 1 opponent it’s a mercy rule. Unless District 1 5a this year is leaps and bounds better than it’s been and Wood way off I don’t see it.

District 1 down all over this year. Put these PCL “cupcakes “in the 5a bracket in District 1 and how would they fare? My judgment based on past history of Wood vs District 1 and my eyes telling me in this particular year that District 1 in general way down. Love Ryan Nase who is Judge guy and know they are loaded with athletes and on special run. Wish them luck. I’ll go with better team up front and on defense in this one.

PCL cupcakes... 1-10 Ryan is a cupcake with every sprinkle, frosting, and gummy bears included

Seeing a 1-10 team in any playoff bracket is the most absurd thing in the PIAA

Taking another angle, it was ridiculous for the PIAA to restructure the brackets, so in essence east plays west in the semis and not the final. Outside of SE PA, no one in the state cares about this game. I also think Wood wins comfortably. The Gateway-Wood game would have made an immensely better final for viewers across the Commonwealth.

The exact same point can be made for 6A. The PCC-SJP semi was an instant classic, too bad no one saw it.

PCL cupcakes... 1-10 Ryan is a cupcake with every sprinkle, frosting, and gummy bears included

Seeing a 1-10 team in any playoff bracket is the most absurd thing in the PIAA

Agreed. Same can be said for back half of District 1 5a. 16 teams out of 25 make it. Year in year out Ryan is better than 15 of those teams including this year. The system is the system.

I think the past Academy Park and Unionville teams would win this years 5a, in fact pretty easily. This AP team not nearly as good as their past championship teams. Wood dismantled those teams that were really good. Maybe Wood way off from where they were. Color me completely uninspired by District 1 5a football this year. But I agree Cheltenham a great story and belief by kids is powerful force. There is just no analysis that points to anyone in District 1 being elite this year.

Last time Wood lost to a PA public school was Selinsgrove 2008 state semis and TJ 2009 state semis in the old 3A format.
Maybe 16th & G can verify it.

Cheltenham only had 1 starting senior on the lines. You could see them next year in hershey.

Congrats to both teams. Was highly competitive game. Both teams played hard. You can tell they like playing for their coaching staffs. Special recognition to Ryan Nase. Has done a remarkable job there. Always been an impressive person from back in his Judge days. His work organizing the Greg Hennigar memorial as a young person previewed what a great leader he could be. Cheltenham got a good one there.

Couple observations. Cheltenham has a tremendous group of skill kids. Fantastic. QB has the craziest motion I’ve ever seen for a kid who can fire it pretty good. 18 for Cheltenham on D was outstanding. Rangy kid.

Wood did a lot of nice things. Pretty amazing accomplishment because they aren’t loaded and have a very young coach. Other then some time management issues you would swear they were coached by someone with more experience. Hard to fathom as a person who probably isn’t 27 that you have won state title as player and head coach. That’s insane.

55 for Wood could play on my team any day. Throw back kid. Was all over the field. Wood oline not huge but moves as good as any line I’ve seen in awhile. Got backside tackles leading up on edge. Impressive. Costello kid has that it factor with vision, burst and balance. Both teams struggled when the ball was in the air. D backs looked like they were fielding a grenade. Finally kicking it deep with 4 seconds left right to return man gave me a heart attack with no rooting interest. That was crazy. Great game. Highly enjoyed watching it.

Taking another angle, it was ridiculous for the PIAA to restructure the brackets, so in essence east plays west in the semis and not the final. Outside of SE PA, no one in the state cares about this game. I also think Wood wins comfortably. The Gateway-Wood game would have made an immensely better final for viewers across the Commonwealth.

The exact same point can be made for 6A. The PCC-SJP semi was an instant classic, too bad no one saw it.

Dont think you can argue for a better 5A final after watching that game...!

Reactions: new2pa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT