ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the best high school football players PA has ever had?

BradlyPitt

Jan 26, 2022
I say Terrelle Pryor and Lavar Arrington were the best I saw

these man childs were men among boys, it seemed unfair how much better they were than everybody else on the field

Pryor could have been all-state at all 22 positions. That’s such a rare size, speed, athletic ability, and strength combination that doesn’t come around often.

Interesting debate, but the details of the question matters:
-Best HS football player ever in Pa?
Sure, yes, I'd agree, maybe Pryor or Arrington. Again, the phrase "ever" is a big statement. Very difficult- gotta have a true historian, for old-school teams, in 30s, 40s and 50s. So, with a disclaimer, I am not as knowledgeable state-wide, and really prior to the 50s and 60s...

To identify the best HS players ever in PA? We have to include "success in HS." I'll vote top 3, really in no specific order-
Lavarr Arrington
Phil Jurkovec
D'Andre Swift

Now- to consider success in college and pros...
the "best Football Players PA has ever produced"
Chuck Bednarik
Joe Montana
Tony Dorsett

Ever is a long time. Here's what I've got out of the Lehigh Valley since state playoffs started (1988)

Juan Gaddy, Easton RB (1989-1992)
Third 5,000 yard rusher in Pennsylvania history. Fastest 0-60 player I've seen (state finalist in the 100 as a freshman and sophomore before he stopped running track). Was probably miscast as a scatback playing in a between the tackles offense, but was one-cut and gone. Committed to Florida State, but was a Prop 48 non-qualifier (meaning he had to sit his freshman year and not even practice, but it cost him a year of eligibility). Temple was happy to take a player of his talent - tore his ACL in his first camp, which in 1993 was pretty much a career ender.

Nate Hobgood-Chittek, William Allen DT (1990-1992)
Defensive tackle/tight end combo due to his incredible athleticism at his size. Was a game-wrecker at defensive end, but it was watching him as Allen's top passing target at 260 pounds that was really the impressive part. Went to UNC where he was a four year starter at DT. Played in the NFL from 1998-2002 and won a Super Bowl with the '99 Rams.

Dan Kendra III, Bethlehem Catholic QB (1991-1994)
The #1 recruit in the country. The first name I thought of in this exercise. Incredibly ahead of his time as a dynamite run/pass threat at 6'3 245. The best arm I've seen on a high school quarterback, and obvioulsy had a size/speed combination that was otherwordly (as a freshman at Florida State, he had the best vertical - 41.5 inches - on a team that put 30 guys in the NFL. He also only got out-benched by their All American left tackle, Tra Thomas, and ran a 4.6). Flipped from Penn State to Florida State (which in the mid-90s was like going to Alabama today), where he was the ACC Rookie of the Year sitting behind the ACC Player of the Year, but dazzling in garbage time. Then - this happened in the spring game before he was slated to take over the QB job (from a great SB Nation article a couple years back titled "The Legend of Dan Kendra")
Ten former FSU quarterbacks showed up at the Garnet & Gold game to watch Dan Kendra’s official ascension to the throne they’d once held. He did not disappoint. At halftime, as the QB emeriti—Charlie Ward, Danny Kanell, Brad Johnson, Peter Tom Willis, et al—sat at long tables and dutifully signed autographs, the fans asked more question about the kid’s bright future than they did their heroes’ gilded past. Seldom was heard a discouraging word.

In hindsight, the second half might have been a splendid time for the coaches to lift their starting QB and take a look at some of the kids.

Instead, about halfway through the third quarter, they got a chance to see their stout defense flush Kendra from the pocket. They got a chance to see Kendra sprint toward the sideline—the last few strides he’d ever make at full speed—and they got to see him make a good decision to throw the ball away. As he did, they got a chance to see linebacker Bradley Jennings hit him, low and hard. Those closest got to hear a pop. They got a chance to see their chiseled, seemingly invincible young QB collapse in a heap. They got a chance to see him get wheeled out of Doak Campbell Stadium on a golf cart, giving thousands of Seminole fans a thumbs-up.

After the game, when the team doctor diagnosed the injury as a severe sprain, they got to breathe a little easier. It was, in fact, what Bobby Bowden had expected to hear. Even when Kendra was writhing on the ground, Bowden was thinking, There’s no way this kid’s hurt bad. He’s too dag-gone strong.

The next day, an MRI showed a complete tear of Kendra’s ACL. He’d be out for at least a year. The knee would have to be rebuilt and would, realistically, never be the same.

And so it was that the Legend of Dan Kendra came to its classically tragic end.

James Mungro, East Stroudsburg (1992-1995)
The first 3,000 yard rusher in PA history and set the single season and career rushing record in Pennsylvania. Another little-ish running back in rough-and-tumble 1990s football, but Mungro was the Emmitt Smith type - every crease and crack he seemed to fit through and could make 3 yards into 10 as well as anybody I've seen. Went to Syracuse, where he finished in the top 5 in Orange history in rushing yards. Was the Colts third-down back from 2002-2006 and won a Super Bowl ring in his final season.

Dan Koppen, Whitehall OT (1995-1998)
The best Lehigh Valley offensive lineman in the modern era, who even scored ten touchdowns as a senior in the "Fatso" package that put the 290 pounder in the backfield as a fullback. Was the unquestioned leader and star at Whitehall despite being an offensive tackle. Went to Boston College, where he was a Rimington Finalist as the nation's best center and a third team All American. Won four Super Bowls with the Patriots and Broncos and is the Patriots Ring of Honor.

Tim Massaquoi, Parkland WR (1998-2000)
Ahead of his time as a 6'5 230 wide receiver with elite athleticism. Had 50 catches in a season where Parkland only attempted 109 passes. Looked like he was playing a different sport than everybody else - the most imposing skill guy I remember. Also a ferocious basketball player. Parade All American who choose Michigan over Penn State. Two-time All Big Ten tight end for the Wolverines, then played for the Buccaneers, Dolphins, and Bills in the NFL.

Austin Scott, Parkland RB (2000-2002)
I've written enough about him, but it's Kendra and Scott as the two best. Set the Pennsylvania single season TDs and rushing yards record with an astonishing 3,856 yards and 53 TDs playing 4A football. Also set the PA sophomore record with 1,918 yards as a 10th grader. Missed his junior season. The most fun high school player to watch I've ever seen. Well documented up-and-down career at Penn State.

Dan Persa, Liberty QB (2003-2006)
The first 2,000/1,000 season in Pennsylvania history from the first truly "modern" spread quarterback in the Lehigh Valley. Complete package in terms of accuracy and escapability, led the Hurricanes to back-to-back state finals. Just terrifying to go against as a fan of another team who was his biggest competitor. Went to Northwestern where he was All Big Ten and set the NCAA record for completion percentage. Tore his Achilles as a senior, ending any chance of him playing at the next level.

Jarred Holley, Easton DB (2004-2008)
Finished his career with 24 interceptions (a school record 9 in 2006 before teams just stopped throwing to his side of the field at all) and played WR/RB/QB on offense. Three time All State pick and the only four time all EPC honoree. Just an incredibly smooth player, fabulous ball skills for a defensive back, and the best open field tackler our program has produced in my memory. Also a draftable baseball player, but made it clear to scouts that he was going to college to play football. Four star recruit who passed up playing for Urban Meyer at Florida to play at Pitt, where he was a multi-year captain and a three-time All ACC safety in the LeSean McCoy/Aaron Donald era at Pitt.

Anthony Gonzalez, Liberty QB/FS (2007-2009)
The best two-way player on the list. Elite running threat at quarterback with a big arm to take the Persa spread to the next level. Also an elite safety, highlighted by his game winning interception in overtime of the 2008 state final. Bounced around positions at Pitt (QB/TE/SS) before becoming an All ACC linebacker.

Brendan Nosovitch, Allentown Central Catholic QB (2009-2011)
Comical numbers in his three years as a starter (9,428 yards passing/3,628 rushing yards, 106 TD passes/63 TD rushes) as a dual-threat QB who led one of the great PIAA offenses on their way to the 2010 state 3A championship. Performance against Wood in the 2010 PIAA semifinals is the best I've ever seen a high school quarterback play. Never could win the QB job at South Carolina, then transferred to Boston College to play tight end.

Shane Simpson, Easton RB (2011-2014)
Insanely shifty with a second gear that could put most teams in the dust. Played wideout as a 130 pound freshman before taking over at tailback, and rushed for 294 yards in his first game at tailback. Battles injuries as a sophomore and junior, but in a fully healthy senior season ran for 2,124 yards and 41 touchdowns, which led the state and earned him Player of the Year honors over the next guy on the list. Undersized and health concerns pushed him down to FCS, where he was a two-time All American at Towson before using his final season of eligibility in the ACC at Virginia.

Saquon Barkley, Whitehall RB (2011-2014)
This is cheating, because I remember thinking Barkley was good (I argued on here that I'd take him over any back in the state if I was drafting for the next level and got some flack as a Lehigh Valley homer) but I also said I thought he wouldn't be a real impact guy in the Big Ten until he was a junior or senior. Oops. But Saquon as a high school player was a late bloomer (he didn't play varsity until he was a junior) who had such good moves in the open field for a big back - my Saquon memories are him pulling out the best spin move I've seen out of a HS running back. He and Simpson actually had remarkably similar styles, but Barkley was four inches taller and 35 pounds heavier.

DeVante Cross, Parkland QB (2013-2015)
I thought Cross was fun as hell to watch play quarterback. He had a bigger arm that the best of the 2000s around here (Persa/Gonzalez/Nosovitch) and threw a great deep ball in addition to the gliding he did when he scrambled. It is a shame he tore his MCL against LaSalle in their state playoff run and the rest of PA didn't get to see him at full strength in the state final against PCC. Crazy winner who quarterbacked Parkland to three straight D11 championships and a state final, plus was the point guard on four straight D11 championship basketball teams. Played safety at Virginia and was just recently released by the Green Bay Packers.

Jahan Dotson, Nazareth WR (2014-2017)
While I was too low on Barkley, I was right on with Dotson, who as a freshman I called the "five star receiver starter kit." While he was only a four star when he came out of Nazareth, I'll take the 16th pick in the NFL draft as back-up of my scouting. He's the best young player I've seen - he came in uncoverable as a freshman, not because he was blazing fast yet, but he changed directions so crisply and had the best hands I've ever seen on a HS receiver. Throw on top of that his explosiveness as he grew (as a sophomore, he won the PIAA title in the long jump by almost two feet), the added straight line speed (state finalist in the 100 and 200, ran a 4.4 at the NFL Combine) and he was the best receiver on this list. Played at Penn State, where he's 2nd all time in catches and 4th in receiving yards, and was a first round pick last April.

Ever is a long time. Here's what I've got out of the Lehigh Valley since state playoffs started (1988)

Juan Gaddy, Easton RB (1989-1992)
Third 5,000 yard rusher in Pennsylvania history. Fastest 0-60 player I've seen (state finalist in the 100 as a freshman and sophomore before he stopped running track). Was probably miscast as a scatback playing in a between the tackles offense, but was one-cut and gone. Committed to Florida State, but was a Prop 48 non-qualifier (meaning he had to sit his freshman year and not even practice, but it cost him a year of eligibility). Temple was happy to take a player of his talent - tore his ACL in his first camp, which in 1993 was pretty much a career ender.

Nate Hobgood-Chittek, William Allen DT (1990-1992)
Defensive tackle/tight end combo due to his incredible athleticism at his size. Was a game-wrecker at defensive end, but it was watching him as Allen's top passing target at 260 pounds that was really the impressive part. Went to UNC where he was a four year starter at DT. Played in the NFL from 1998-2002 and won a Super Bowl with the '99 Rams.

Dan Kendra III, Bethlehem Catholic QB (1991-1994)
The #1 recruit in the country. The first name I thought of in this exercise. Incredibly ahead of his time as a dynamite run/pass threat at 6'3 245. The best arm I've seen on a high school quarterback, and obvioulsy had a size/speed combination that was otherwordly (as a freshman at Florida State, he had the best vertical - 41.5 inches - on a team that put 30 guys in the NFL. He also only got out-benched by their All American left tackle, Tra Thomas, and ran a 4.6). Flipped from Penn State to Florida State (which in the mid-90s was like going to Alabama today), where he was the ACC Rookie of the Year sitting behind the ACC Player of the Year, but dazzling in garbage time. Then - this happened in the spring game before he was slated to take over the QB job (from a great SB Nation article a couple years back titled "The Legend of Dan Kendra")
Ten former FSU quarterbacks showed up at the Garnet & Gold game to watch Dan Kendra’s official ascension to the throne they’d once held. He did not disappoint. At halftime, as the QB emeriti—Charlie Ward, Danny Kanell, Brad Johnson, Peter Tom Willis, et al—sat at long tables and dutifully signed autographs, the fans asked more question about the kid’s bright future than they did their heroes’ gilded past. Seldom was heard a discouraging word.

In hindsight, the second half might have been a splendid time for the coaches to lift their starting QB and take a look at some of the kids.

Instead, about halfway through the third quarter, they got a chance to see their stout defense flush Kendra from the pocket. They got a chance to see Kendra sprint toward the sideline—the last few strides he’d ever make at full speed—and they got to see him make a good decision to throw the ball away. As he did, they got a chance to see linebacker Bradley Jennings hit him, low and hard. Those closest got to hear a pop. They got a chance to see their chiseled, seemingly invincible young QB collapse in a heap. They got a chance to see him get wheeled out of Doak Campbell Stadium on a golf cart, giving thousands of Seminole fans a thumbs-up.

After the game, when the team doctor diagnosed the injury as a severe sprain, they got to breathe a little easier. It was, in fact, what Bobby Bowden had expected to hear. Even when Kendra was writhing on the ground, Bowden was thinking, There’s no way this kid’s hurt bad. He’s too dag-gone strong.

The next day, an MRI showed a complete tear of Kendra’s ACL. He’d be out for at least a year. The knee would have to be rebuilt and would, realistically, never be the same.

And so it was that the Legend of Dan Kendra came to its classically tragic end.

James Mungro, East Stroudsburg (1992-1995)
The first 3,000 yard rusher in PA history and set the single season and career rushing record in Pennsylvania. Another little-ish running back in rough-and-tumble 1990s football, but Mungro was the Emmitt Smith type - every crease and crack he seemed to fit through and could make 3 yards into 10 as well as anybody I've seen. Went to Syracuse, where he finished in the top 5 in Orange history in rushing yards. Was the Colts third-down back from 2002-2006 and won a Super Bowl ring in his final season.

Dan Koppen, Whitehall OT (1995-1998)
The best Lehigh Valley offensive lineman in the modern era, who even scored ten touchdowns as a senior in the "Fatso" package that put the 290 pounder in the backfield as a fullback. Was the unquestioned leader and star at Whitehall despite being an offensive tackle. Went to Boston College, where he was a Rimington Finalist as the nation's best center and a third team All American. Won four Super Bowls with the Patriots and Broncos and is the Patriots Ring of Honor.

Tim Massaquoi, Parkland WR (1998-2000)
Ahead of his time as a 6'5 230 wide receiver with elite athleticism. Had 50 catches in a season where Parkland only attempted 109 passes. Looked like he was playing a different sport than everybody else - the most imposing skill guy I remember. Also a ferocious basketball player. Parade All American who choose Michigan over Penn State. Two-time All Big Ten tight end for the Wolverines, then played for the Buccaneers, Dolphins, and Bills in the NFL.

Austin Scott, Parkland RB (2000-2002)
I've written enough about him, but it's Kendra and Scott as the two best. Set the Pennsylvania single season TDs and rushing yards record with an astonishing 3,856 yards and 53 TDs playing 4A football. Also set the PA sophomore record with 1,918 yards as a 10th grader. Missed his junior season. The most fun high school player to watch I've ever seen. Well documented up-and-down career at Penn State.

Dan Persa, Liberty QB (2003-2006)
The first 2,000/1,000 season in Pennsylvania history from the first truly "modern" spread quarterback in the Lehigh Valley. Complete package in terms of accuracy and escapability, led the Hurricanes to back-to-back state finals. Just terrifying to go against as a fan of another team who was his biggest competitor. Went to Northwestern where he was All Big Ten and set the NCAA record for completion percentage. Tore his Achilles as a senior, ending any chance of him playing at the next level.

Jarred Holley, Easton DB (2004-2008)
Finished his career with 24 interceptions (a school record 9 in 2006 before teams just stopped throwing to his side of the field at all) and played WR/RB/QB on offense. Three time All State pick and the only four time all EPC honoree. Just an incredibly smooth player, fabulous ball skills for a defensive back, and the best open field tackler our program has produced in my memory. Also a draftable baseball player, but made it clear to scouts that he was going to college to play football. Four star recruit who passed up playing for Urban Meyer at Florida to play at Pitt, where he was a multi-year captain and a three-time All ACC safety in the LeSean McCoy/Aaron Donald era at Pitt.

Anthony Gonzalez, Liberty QB/FS (2007-2009)
The best two-way player on the list. Elite running threat at quarterback with a big arm to take the Persa spread to the next level. Also an elite safety, highlighted by his game winning interception in overtime of the 2008 state final. Bounced around positions at Pitt (QB/TE/SS) before becoming an All ACC linebacker.

Brendan Nosovitch, Allentown Central Catholic QB (2009-2011)
Comical numbers in his three years as a starter (9,428 yards passing/3,628 rushing yards, 106 TD passes/63 TD rushes) as a dual-threat QB who led one of the great PIAA offenses on their way to the 2010 state 3A championship. Performance against Wood in the 2010 PIAA semifinals is the best I've ever seen a high school quarterback play. Never could win the QB job at South Carolina, then transferred to Boston College to play tight end.

Shane Simpson, Easton RB (2011-2014)
Insanely shifty with a second gear that could put most teams in the dust. Played wideout as a 130 pound freshman before taking over at tailback, and rushed for 294 yards in his first game at tailback. Battles injuries as a sophomore and junior, but in a fully healthy senior season ran for 2,124 yards and 41 touchdowns, which led the state and earned him Player of the Year honors over the next guy on the list. Undersized and health concerns pushed him down to FCS, where he was a two-time All American at Towson before using his final season of eligibility in the ACC at Virginia.

Saquon Barkley, Whitehall RB (2011-2014)
This is cheating, because I remember thinking Barkley was good (I argued on here that I'd take him over any back in the state if I was drafting for the next level and got some flack as a Lehigh Valley homer) but I also said I thought he wouldn't be a real impact guy in the Big Ten until he was a junior or senior. Oops. But Saquon as a high school player was a late bloomer (he didn't play varsity until he was a junior) who had such good moves in the open field for a big back - my Saquon memories are him pulling out the best spin move I've seen out of a HS running back. He and Simpson actually had remarkably similar styles, but Barkley was four inches taller and 35 pounds heavier.

DeVante Cross, Parkland QB (2013-2015)
I thought Cross was fun as hell to watch play quarterback. He had a bigger arm that the best of the 2000s around here (Persa/Gonzalez/Nosovitch) and threw a great deep ball in addition to the gliding he did when he scrambled. It is a shame he tore his MCL against LaSalle in their state playoff run and the rest of PA didn't get to see him at full strength in the state final against PCC. Crazy winner who quarterbacked Parkland to three straight D11 championships and a state final, plus was the point guard on four straight D11 championship basketball teams. Played safety at Virginia and was just recently released by the Green Bay Packers.

Jahan Dotson, Nazareth WR (2014-2017)
While I was too low on Barkley, I was right on with Dotson, who as a freshman I called the "five star receiver starter kit." While he was only a four star when he came out of Nazareth, I'll take the 16th pick in the NFL draft as back-up of my scouting. He's the best young player I've seen - he came in uncoverable as a freshman, not because he was blazing fast yet, but he changed directions so crisply and had the best hands I've ever seen on a HS receiver. Throw on top of that his explosiveness as he grew (as a sophomore, he won the PIAA title in the long jump by almost two feet), the added straight line speed (state finalist in the 100 and 200, ran a 4.4 at the NFL Combine) and he was the best receiver on this list. Played at Penn State, where he's 2nd all time in catches and 4th in receiving yards, and was a first round pick last April.
Rover when I watched the 30 for 30 on Marcus Dupree titled "the best that never was" he reminded of Austin Scott. He was one of the best high school running backs I've ever seen that couldn't keep his head on straight and just never panned out because of it. As many great running backs as I've seen come through pa and there's been a lot, I still say Scott was the best.

All-time??

Off the top of my head... Bednarik, Namath, Unitas, Montana, Marino, Dorsett, Marvin Harrison
were they truly the best high school players? i don't think what they did after high school should be factored in

Aaron Donald was great in high school but nobody thought he would be what he is today

Interesting debate, but the details of the question matters:
-Best HS football player ever in Pa?
Sure, yes, I'd agree, maybe Pryor or Arrington. Again, the phrase "ever" is a big statement. Very difficult- gotta have a true historian, for old-school teams, in 30s, 40s and 50s. So, with a disclaimer, I am not as knowledgeable state-wide, and really prior to the 50s and 60s...

To identify the best HS players ever in PA? We have to include "success in HS." I'll vote top 3, really in no specific order-
Lavarr Arrington
Phil Jurkovec
D'Andre Swift

Now- to consider success in college and pros...
the "best Football Players PA has ever produced"
Chuck Bednarik
Joe Montana
Tony Dorsett
what they did in high school only

and nobody actually thinks somebody from the 30's and 40's is the best ever

Darrelle Revis, Dan Marino, Joey Porter Jr., D’andre Swift
LOL Joey Porter Jr got burnt constantly by Jordan Crawford of PR, he wasn't that good in high school

Revis didn't really have a stand out game in high school until the state final, if he blows out his knee at Pitt his high school career would largely be forgotten

The 3 best I ever saw play were DeAndre Swift, Mark Jones from Strath Haven and Kevin Jones. 3 electric playmakers who usually played their best in the big games. Ask me again in 2 years and Tyseer Denmark might be on that list

The 2 most dominant linemen I have ever seen play in HS are Floyd Wedderburn and Shariff Floyd. It was borderline comical watching HS linemen go up against them in the trenches

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo
Callahan Bright - really a shame he didn't pan out in college but it wasn't due to a lack of talent. Could literally stop and an entire offense at the DT position.

Curtis Martin (Taylor Allderdice HS/University of Pitt)

One year of HS Football - Absolute STUD.

Could not be tackled in HS. Averaged over 200 yards rushing per game.

NFL Rookie of the Year 1995
5x Pro Bowl
Led NFL in rushing 2004 * oldest player to win rushing title
4th Leading rusher of All Time
Inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame 2012

And also a great guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stalker
LOL Joey Porter Jr got burnt constantly by Jordan Crawford of PR, he wasn't that good in high school

Revis didn't really have a stand out game in high school until the state final, if he blows out his knee at Pitt his high school career would largely be forgotten
Joey Porter jr. Was terrific his senior year. He and NAs defense smothered Pr in 2018. Unfortunately they choked against Seneca in the playoffs.

In the pre-playoff era from the Lehigh Valley (this is going off of reputation, I did not see these guys play)

Mike Hartenstine - Liberty
Named all state as an offensive and defensive lineman and Parade All American. Also held the Lehigh Valley shot put record for nearly 40 years. The consensus strongest guy ever to play in the Valley. All American at Penn State and longtime NFL defensive end, winning a Super Bowl as part of the 1985 Chicago Bears.

Mike Guman - Bethlehem Catholic
Parade All American running back on the first great Becahi teams. Big running back who was probably considered a better defensive back coming out of HS. Also was the EPC player of the year in hoops and got drafted by the Texas Rangers as a pitcher - decent athlete. Played at Penn State, then was Eric Dickerson’s fullback for the Los Angels Rams for about a decade. Probably the best father/son combo in the Valley is Mike and his son Andrew, who played at safety Penn State and for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Matt Millen - Whitehall
The reputation of Millen as a crazy person is funny now knowing him as an older man (I mostly know Matt through his son Marcus - an excellent player in his own right). Intimidating middle linebacker on probably the best defense in Lehigh Valley history (had three players play in the NFL in Millen, Ed Gall, and Gary Wagner). Obviously went on to a College Football Hall of Fame career at Penn State, then won four Super Bowls as a longtime NFL linebacker for the Raiders and 49ers.

Dan Kendra - Allentown Central Catholic
The original Dan Kendra, quarterback legend. Threw for nearly 2,000 yards playing in a 1970s offense. Went to play quarterback for Bobby Bowden at West Virginia (who Dan III would later play for at Florida State). Kendra was an honorable mention All American at West Virginia and played in the CFL before coming back to the Valley and was the quarterback guru assistant coach on a number of teams locally, most notably for Bob Stem at Bethlehem Catholic where he mentored his son, Mike Palos, Mark Borda, and Adam Bednarik (all Division I quarterbacks).

Rob Moore - Dieruff
Parade All American in both football and basketball, was an All State quarterback at the start of the Dieruff football golden era in the late '60s into the '70s. Crazy athlete who teamed up with tight end John Smurda to form one of the greatest pitch-and-catch combos in the Lehigh Valley. Both would play for Woody Hayes at Ohio State, though Smurda was the much more decorated college player (Moore got beat out by Buckeye legend Cornelius Greene to be the Rex Kern replacement).

Bill Houston - Easton
One of the great four sport athletes in a bygone era - a four year starter in football (started at safety as a freshman, then was the halfback/safety for his final three seasons), plus three in hoops, three in baseball, and ran track for four years and finished 3rd in the state in the long jump. Averaged eight yards per carry for his career, including a ridiculous 909 yards on 89 carries in his senior season as the tailback in Easton's "point-a-minute" offense that claimed the 1958 mythical state title. Uncommon speed for his size in the era (6'1 190 pounds and one of the fastest players in the state) - there is footage of their season opening win over Reading on YouTube, and Houston pops off the screen. Passed up a scholarship offer at Penn State to play at historically black South Carolina State, where he was teammates with future NFL Hall of Famer Jackie Slater. Won Offensive MVP as a sophomore (in the era where freshmen were ineligible), but as a junior suffered a compound fracture in his leg that ended his athletic career.

Elmo Jackson - William Allen (Allentown High School)
One of the first black superstars in Pennsylvania high school football, Jackson was All State in football and basketball and the state champ in the 100 and 200 yard dashes. Allen went 25-2 with Jackson starting at running back and won three consecutive state basketball titles from 1945-1947. Jackson went on to play football at Muhlenberg, where he was the college's first black graduate. He left camp with the Cleveland Browns to attend medical school, and spent his career as a microbiologist at Philadelphia General Hospital.

Chuck Bednarik - Liberty (Bethlehem High School)
Not a ton I can add on Concrete Charlie. What I will say is, Liberty was not very good when he was there.

I did not include Andre Reed intentionally. Obviously he's an NFL hall of famer and one of the best football players from the Lehigh Valley. However, he was a total late bloomer - he weighed 135 pounds as a junior and played a little bit on defense for a very good Dieruff team (#3 in the state). He only started for one season, as a senior at quarterback, where he certainly had a good year. He played at Kutztown where he moved to receiver, continued to physically mature, and became one of the best Division II players in the country, and the rest is history.

Ed McCaffrey is another one like that - played on some terrible Allentown Central Catholic teams in the 1980s - I think he was thought of locally as a much better basketball player than football player, but size and athleticism took him to Stanford, where he really blossomed. Actually, locally, the McCaffrey with the better athletic reputation from his time in the Valley is Billy McCaffrey, who was a basketball star at ACC then played with Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, and Grant Hill at Duke.

Callahan Bright - really a shame he didn't pan out in college but it wasn't due to a lack of talent. Could literally stop and an entire offense at the DT position.
Do you remember Callahan Bright as a wrestler? One of the most fun heavyweights I've seen. Didn't totally know what he was doing, but so big, strong, and athletic. He had a nice run to medal at states one year, and was the absolute last person anybody in that bracket wanted to see.

I say Terrelle Pryor and Lavar Arrington were the best I saw

these man childs were men among boys, it seemed unfair how much better they were than everybody else on the field
Chris Conlin and Mark Zatavesky from McDevitt District 12 . Zatavesky was a 295 lb center that was all catholic and started for Notre dame . Conlin was an All American Tackle for Penn State the year they beat Miami for the National Championship. He was certainly overshadowed by the other Conlin on the team Shane.

Chris Conlin and Mark Zatavesky from McDevitt District 12 . Zatavesky was a 295 lb center that was all catholic and started for Notre dame . Conlin was an All American Tackle for Penn State the year they beat Miami for the National Championship. He was certainly overshadowed by the other Conlin on the team Shane.
‘lil,
Hope you’re well brother, haven’t engaged for awhile..
Great you brought up this post. Shane “Conlan” my all-time favorite PSU Linebacker, great college career & solid respectable Pro career with the Bills. He hailed from Frewsburg NY and as you’re aware unrelated to the Glenside PA “Conlin” family.
Shane’s play in those ‘85/‘86 national title games was extraordinary… unfortunately not much/enough offensive help in the title loss to Oklahoma.

Reactions: lilromeo
‘lil,
Hope you’re well brother, haven’t engaged for awhile..
Great you brought up this post. Shane “Conlan” my all-time favorite PSU Linebacker, great college career & solid respectable Pro career with the Bills. He hailed from Frewsburg NY and as you’re aware unrelated to the Glenside PA “Conlin” family.
Shane’s play in those ‘85/‘86 national title games was extraordinary… unfortunately not much/enough offensive help in the title loss to Oklahoma.
Someone mentioned Marcus Dupree, a true man-child. The best running back I've ever seen in high school was in that same vein, a true man-child, Wayne Denson from Norristown. Like 6:2 220, like Dupree, could run over you or run by you. Big-time recruit, thinking early 90's who went to Florida State, he may have gotten injured, returned home and went to Temple but was never the same.

Two linemen who have to be on the list are the legendary Ivan Lesnak and Frank Case, both from CB West. Case played at Penn State and with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Too young to see him play but oldheads will bring up Abel Joe from Coatesville, another RB man-child.

How about John Cappeletti from Monsenior Bonner and Heisman trophy winner at Penn State.

Do you remember Callahan Bright as a wrestler? One of the most fun heavyweights I've seen. Didn't totally know what he was doing, but so big, strong, and athletic. He had a nice run to medal at states one year, and was the absolute last person anybody in that bracket wanted to see.

I saw him as a freshman I believe at states. This is when Lopiccilo was at Susquehannock.

Bob Sanders- Erie cathedral prep. All American at iowa, NFL defensive mvp, Superbowl mvp
was he really that good when he was known as Demond?

seemed like Ed Hinkel and Charles Rush were the stars of those teams

Peyton Manning was the Super Bowl mvp

was Swift a better high school running back than Lesean Mccoy or Austin Scott?

surprised to see his named mentioned so much but not Mccoy

Guy went Swift over Montana, Marvin Harrison, Aaron Donald, Jim Kelly, Mike ditka, lesean McCoy, Andre reed, Jason Taylor, rich Gannon, etc.
Jason Taylor wasn't good in high school, he was a raw player with potential

Sanders was a stud and belongs along with Hinkle and Rush for sure.

was Swift a better high school running back than Lesean Mccoy or Austin Scott?

surprised to see his named mentioned so much but not Mccoy
It might be the makeup of the board - I don’t know how many Harrisburg area guys are posting here outside of Stalker.

I certainly was aware of Shady, but never saw him play live. He got tracked a lot here because he was gunning for the records Scott had just set.

Scott had the advantage of playing a bunch of games on TV during their state title run, and playing very well in all of them. This board is very SEPA heavy, so lots of guys saw a lot of Swift. Hell, I saw a lot of Swift.

What I do think hurts Swift’s reputation as a high school legend was he didn’t play that much. His senior year he had a big game in their season opener in Florida, then didn’t have 10 carries in a game again until state playoffs. As a freshman/sophomore, he was in a timeshare with fellow NFL running back Olamade Zacchius. When they had to win a game, they’d ride Swift because he was amazing (see: 2014 and 2016 state championship games), but they didn’t have to do that very often and did a good job of not wearing him down before he got to college.

Oh he was that good in high school. He was an unbelievable running back but doesnt get the recognition now as one because he went on to become a defensive stud. Everyone in Erie knew Bob Sanders was special. He got the starting knod over future Pitt running back jawan walker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT