ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever Happened to

kitwor

Feb 2, 2010
I'm wondering if anyone knows whatever came of 5 former players in the last 10 or so years and why their college careers never panned out.

Daquan Worley: I thought he was a beast of a running back at Coatesville and felt he could of been an RB at PSU although recruited as a DB. Not sure if his MCL injury during his senior season derailed his chances.

Jay Harris: What an explosive player at DTE. I still can't understand his thinking about being a rap artist instead of playing at MSU. He was a lightning rod whenever he was on the field.

Drew Harris: This one really baffles me. He looked like the best player in the state as a sophomore.He had the size, strength and speed to play on Sundays. Why didn't he play at Virginia Tech?

Tre Boggs: Is he still incarcerated? He was a starting DB at Rutgers at the time. He and Worley were crucial parts of that Coatesville State title representative back in 2013.He could score from anywhere on the field whenever he had the ball in his hands.

Brandon Nosovitch: Although from outside of SEPA he played in my estimation the best game I ever saw from a QB as a JR when he shredded Wood's defense in ACC's State semifinal. Till this day I still believe he went to a program (South Carolina) where the scheme and head coach and he clashed. I firmly believe if he had went to a team (i.e. PSU with Bill O'Brien) his talents would of flourished.

Its just so hard to understand how many many so called "can't miss" recruits don't pan out with their college program. All five were special athletes and provided us with many memories watching them when they were here.

I can’t answer your question. But, I will say it’s very difficult to project how a kid will translate to the college level. There are just so many factors to consider. It’s a huge adjustment academically, athletically, socially, etc. I’d bet the reason a lot of these kids didn’t “pan out” had nothing to do with their athletic abilities.

I can’t answer your question. But, I will say it’s very difficult to project how a kid will translate to the college level. There are just so many factors to consider. It’s a huge adjustment academically, athletically, socially, etc. I’d bet the reason a lot of these kids didn’t “pan out” had nothing to do with their athletic abilities.
That's a great point. So inevitably, all could of been very good Division 1 football players

I'm wondering if anyone knows whatever came of 5 former players in the last 10 or so years and why their college careers never panned out.

Daquan Worley: I thought he was a beast of a running back at Coatesville and felt he could of been an RB at PSU although recruited as a DB. Not sure if his MCL injury during his senior season derailed his chances.

Jay Harris: What an explosive player at DTE. I still can't understand his thinking about being a rap artist instead of playing at MSU. He was a lightning rod whenever he was on the field.

Drew Harris: This one really baffles me. He looked like the best player in the state as a sophomore.He had the size, strength and speed to play on Sundays. Why didn't he play at Virginia Tech?

Tre Boggs: Is he still incarcerated? He was a starting DB at Rutgers at the time. He and Worley were crucial parts of that Coatesville State title representative back in 2013.He could score from anywhere on the field whenever he had the ball in his hands.

Brandon Nosovitch: Although from outside of SEPA he played in my estimation the best game I ever saw from a QB as a JR when he shredded Wood's defense in ACC's State semifinal. Till this day I still believe he went to a program (South Carolina) where the scheme and head coach and he clashed. I firmly believe if he had went to a team (i.e. PSU with Bill O'Brien) his talents would of flourished.

Its just so hard to understand how many many so called "can't miss" recruits don't pan out with their college program. All five were special athletes and provided us with many memories watching them when they were here.

Hey Kit: Brandon grad from SC in 2015 in finance. SC moved him from QB to TE which he didn't like. He transferred to Boston College to play and masters in business admin. He played in 3 games in fall of 2015 for BC, but didn't play in 2016.

Hey Kit: Brandon grad from SC in 2015 in finance. SC moved him from QB to TE which he didn't like. He transferred to Boston College to play and masters in business admin. He played in 3 games in fall of 2015 for BC, but didn't play in 2016.
Good for Brandon getting something worthwhile instead of a letter.

Good for Brandon getting something worthwhile instead of a letter.

Stalk,
So. Car seems to be a wasteland for higher profiled NE corridor QB's recently?

McEvoy..Bergen Cath
Nosovitch.. ACC
McIlwain.. CRN

Throw in Jake Cooper from Wood @ PSU. He was given a shot early on and never did enough; younger guys came in and showed more promise I guess?

Throw in Jake Cooper from Wood @ PSU. He was given a shot early on and never did enough; younger guys came in and showed more promise I guess?
Good point guys. Rating these kids is a roll of the dice then maybe compounded by us wanting (hoping?) them as locals, to do well.
And....it can be a shocker being an outstanding athlete then tangle/compete with other recruits that actually look like they're from another planet. Some of guys on the board have experienced this.

Good point guys. Rating these kids is a roll of the dice then maybe compounded by us wanting (hoping?) them as locals, to do well.
And....it can be a shocker being an outstanding athlete then tangle/compete with other recruits that actually look like they're from another planet. Some of guys on the board have experienced this.

Stalk - Agree and throw this out there... maybe a new head coach, coordinator, position coach, system in general, exceptional recruiting class, injuries, etc... never know how it will play out.

Was told that Worley is at Duquesne and making a major impact going into his Sr year.

Totally Agree
The PSU spot was a total marketing campaign and Franklin bought heavily!
Freshman playing time because 3 LB's get hurt on opening day and they had zero depth
Really nice kid but he wasn't even the best LB on his HS team.
This season's lineup is already set and he's not part of the plan.
Sometimes you have to be careful of what you ask for....You just might get it!
Politics are EVERYWHERE!

Who was a better LB than Cooper on his team? That seems hard to imagine.

I thought Cooper solid and tough because he played through many injuries. Maybe FBU82 was referring to Justin Rubin? He was very physical, made a ton of plays and ran very well. I believe he is at Richmond starting multiple years.

Reactions: lilromeo
Recruiting Rankings
Daquan Worley: 3 stars: #41 cornerback, #624 overall
Jay Harris: 3 stars: #137 wide receiver, #975 overall
Drew Harris: 4 stars; #16 running back, #196 overall - ACL TEAR AS A SENIOR
Tre Boggs: No star rating
Brendan Nosovitch: 3 stars. #11 dual-threat QB, #539 overall

What I'd take from this is, while locally these kids were all fabulous players, some of the best ever to come from their schools, none of them is what I'd call a can't miss prospect. Drew Harris would be the closest, and he suffered a major knee injury as a senior from which I'd argue he never really recovered. These players were all good enough to get recruit to and play at major FBS programs. But that is the case for every guy in the recruiting class. Literally every person on Penn State or Virginia Tech or South Carolina's roster is one of the best players in the history of their high school. Then the competition is absolutely crazy once you get there.

Furthermore, everything has to go right. It doesn't just matter that you're good enough. You have to stay healthy. You have to stay eligible. You have to stay out of trouble. Your persona life has to be in order. You have to be in the right system for your talents. You have to have a coach that gives you a shot. Any one of those things going wrong can be the difference between being a starter at Penn State or having to transfer.

The story I always end up telling athletes is Adam Bednarik's. Adam was one of the best quarterbacks to come out of the Lehigh Valley in this century, first team all state, star ratings on rivals, etc. Went to West Virginia. Got his chance to win the job in camp as a redshirt sophomore. Beat out the other kid, earned the starting job. Started the first five games of the season. Broke his ankle in the first half against Louisville when scrambling. Back-up comes in the game (the kid he beat out in camp). Back up leads them to a come from behind victory. Back up is Pat White, the best quarterback in West Virginia history, Heisman Trophy finalist. Bednarik never starts another game, moves to tight end once his ankle heals. Everything. Has. To. Go. Right.

Totally Agree
The PSU spot was a total marketing campaign and Franklin bought heavily!
Freshman playing time because 3 LB's get hurt on opening day and they had zero depth
Really nice kid but he wasn't even the best LB on his HS team.
This season's lineup is already set and he's not part of the plan.
Sometimes you have to be careful of what you ask for....You just might get it!
Politics are EVERYWHERE!
Politics, my arse. Coaches play the kids who give them the best chance to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT