ADVERTISEMENT

What would be the line for the AA and A games ?

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
I know, clumsy attempt to move on........

AA Dunmore vs South Fayette -7
A Bishop Guilfoyle vs Clairton -14

PS; does anyone have any interest in these games? A lot of talent out there.

BPI Spreads

The BPI has Dunmore huge underdogs.

Dunmore 74.4 (+ 26) vs South Fayette 100.7

Bishop Guilfoyle 91.0 (+ 9) vs Clairton 100.0

Pine-Richland 106.9 (+3) vs St Joe Prep 109.6

Central Valley 102.2 (+3) vs Archbishop Wood 105.1

Re: BPI Spreads

Dunmore vs. South Fayette is a strange one to pick from afar. It just seems hard to me to compare the two. IF Dunmore can run the ball and create 6+ minute drives on South Fayette they can shorten the game which could change the whole dynamic.

South Fayette has 3,700 yds passing and 2,700 yds rushing on the year.

Dunmore has 600 yds passing and 4,800 yds rushing on the year.

The best running team South Fayette faced all year was Aliquippa and they were basically able to control the line of scrimmage for much of the game. Aliquippa got a lot of 2 and 3 yd runs that I'm sure against other teams would have gone for 5+.
This post was edited on 12/8 3:18 PM by WPIAL_Fball

South Fayette is not the team that they were last year. Lost a lot of lineman to graduation and lost best lineman to injury. Receivers have done a nice job but not nearly as strong as last year's group. On the defensive side they are not as good up front or in the secondary as last year's team. They are still a pretty good group but don't expect the dominance of last year. I know nothing of Dunmore or of anyone they have played., but I get the sense that the overall talent level in AA is down in the East as it is in the West.

This post was edited on 12/8 4:08 PM by Jimbo17

Re: BPI Spreads

Neumann Goretti put 11 in the box almost the entire second half and still Dunmore refused to pass the ball; better yet, they were pretty successful running against 11 in the box.

I agree that if Dunmore can control the game on the ground and chew up large chunks of time on the clock, they will have a shot.

Nothing against the East, but these are two games I would be shocked if the West didn't win.

I think Bishop G and Dunmore could hang around early, but talent will wear them down like Clairton and So Fayette did all year to teams.

I saw Clairton on Friday night and they are a machine.

I agree with you. South Fayette offensively is very balanced. I just don't think Dunmore can get away with being one-dimensional against this team.

I think the BG-Clairton game is one where you could see BG having some initial success running the ball. However, I don't think they'll be able to handle Clairton's offensive onslaught for four quarters. Lamont Wade is incredible, Harrison Dreher, who missed most of the second half of the season is back. Aaron Matthews , the QB Ryan Williams has had a great season. BG will definitely want to slow the tempo down and grind it out to keep it close.
Originally posted by PennStateNate:
Nothing against the East, but these are two games I would be shocked if the West didn't win.

I think Bishop G and Dunmore could hang around early, but talent will wear them down like Clairton and So Fayette did all year to teams.

I saw Clairton on Friday night and they are a machine.

Does anybody know why Dunmore is electing to play up? I could be wrong but last year's brackets show them losing to Old Forge (PIAA runner up) on November 15th in the playoffs. That was in Single A.

The year prior to that they lost to Clairton in the championship game. The PIAA enrollment shows them at 174 which would be the cutoff to stay at Single A. Did they elect to play up and if so, any idea why?

Found they had to count students no longer at the school since they are in a cyber school program, upping them by 4 boys and 9 girls........taking it to 178 (boys-football) not 174.

Originally posted by Stalker:

Found they had to count students no longer at the school since they are in a cyber school program, upping them by 4 boys and 9 girls........taking it to 178 (boys-football) not 174.
Wow - that had to be frustrating to them! Obviously they're a talented bunch and it didn't faze them since they're playing for a state title.

Originally posted by Jimbo17:
South Fayette is not the team that they were last year. Lost a lot of lineman to graduation and lost best lineman to injury. Receivers have done a nice job but not nearly as strong as last year's group. On the defensive side they are not as good up front or in the secondary as last year's team. They are still a pretty good group but don't expect the dominance of last year. I know nothing of Dunmore or of anyone they have played., but I get the sense that the overall talent level in AA is down in the East as it is in the West.

This post was edited on 12/8 4:08 PM by Jimbo17
I agree that SF is not the team they were last year, but I am always impressed with how well their lines execute. SF always seems to have strong and athletic lineman (though a bit undersized) that get a huge push off of the line of scrimmage. Its fun to watch them out leverage a lot of larger lineman. In my opinion their line play is the biggest key to their success. keep an eye on the line of scrimmage in this game.

You're spot on with the comment on the line - last year Imhotep outweighed those kids by 80+ lbs at every position but displayed no skill. Aliquippa has always had a bigger line than them too and again technique and leverage prevails. Dunmore has some BIG lineman 280+ so the line of scrimmage will be where this game is won or lost for sure.

Not to get ahead of things but the scary thing is next year South Fayette returns the whole starting line and the 1,800+ yard running back. Sure they'll miss Brumbaugh, but maybe not as much as some people think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT