ADVERTISEMENT

What does 15 coaches get you....A loss

Central League Commish

Feb 6, 2016
Was at the Ridley game last night and what the hell do you need All those coaches for, wait I know a second round loss and really a Ridley team that should have been a 13 seed. Just a terrible showing by the wood and green show,the little man complex was in full force last night. Just a suggestion from the outside fire all those bums standing around doing nothing but stroking the Wood's little man complex. Cut us all a break here the offense was horrible because of green thinks he is the god of the option offense and that idea of running a college style program does not work here in high school. The only positive was the defense played solid and they had a nice game plan against the real raiders.

I was also able to make it to the game last night and was bewildered at witnessing a couple of things. First, it appeared by Ridley's antics in pregame that they were trying to intimidate Coatesville, at Coatesville? Probably not a great plan to hang your hat on as it seemed to intensify the Red Raiders in the first half. That type of tactic may work in a "not your father's Central League" but I would have a difficult time this type of tactic would work in West Chester or Downingtown let alone Coatesville. You would think an ex college coach would know better. Secondly, allowing Coatesville's best receiver to be covered 1 on 1 most of the evening is not my idea of a great game plan. I hadn't even finished my Chic Fillet sandwich and it was 14-0 because of that awesome game plan. Also enjoyed watching the Qb Ortega time and time again Run Qb draw out of empty as Ridley kept blitzing that formation off the edge. When the Qb rushes for 150 and 2 scores one should think to themselves I better make an adjustment. Coatesville had I believe over 500 yards of offense. Is Ridley proud they held Coatesville s offense under 600 yards. Kudos Green Raiders defense on a job well done. Obviously everbody saw why you WERE the #1 defense in Southeastern PA. Minus the plan, I will give Ridley credit. They battled all night long. Early on it looked like they were going to get Mercy ruled but they got a drive and a couple of turnovers and hung tough for 3 quarters. Also congrats on winning Central League. Good way for seniors to go out after the last couple of years! Good luck on Thanksgiving

I was also able to make it to the game last night and was bewildered at witnessing a couple of things. First, it appeared by Ridley's antics in pregame that they were trying to intimidate Coatesville, at Coatesville? Probably not a great plan to hang your hat on as it seemed to intensify the Red Raiders in the first half. That type of tactic may work in a "not your father's Central League" but I would have a difficult time this type of tactic would work in West Chester or Downingtown let alone Coatesville. You would think an ex college coach would know better. Secondly, allowing Coatesville's best receiver to be covered 1 on 1 most of the evening is not my idea of a great game plan. I hadn't even finished my Chic Fillet sandwich and it was 14-0 because of that awesome game plan. Also enjoyed watching the Qb Ortega time and time again Run Qb draw out of empty as Ridley kept blitzing that formation off the edge. When the Qb rushes for 150 and 2 scores one should think to themselves I better make an adjustment. Coatesville had I believe over 500 yards of offense. Is Ridley proud they held Coatesville s offense under 600 yards. Kudos Green Raiders defense on a job well done. Obviously everbody saw why you WERE the #1 defense in Southeastern PA. Minus the plan, I will give Ridley credit. They battled all night long. Early on it looked like they were going to get Mercy ruled but they got a drive and a couple of turnovers and hung tough for 3 quarters. Also congrats on winning Central League. Good way for seniors to go out after the last couple of years! Good luck on Thanksgiving
IA - I heard about Ridleys antics but didn't want to comment. We on the board know about the Green Mystique but most of the Coatesville kids playing have no idea nor do they care if The Green Raiders are the winningest Delco school. Thought the new coach would pull them out the old stigma which seems to have haunted them in these last 4 or 5 years not being in the playoffs. Wish them the best and good luck in the Tgiving game against Interboro.

Should have been to the other 11 Pre-Games of Ridley, they had the same pre-game for every game this year, Loud with Emotion and Players meeting Captains at mid-field. It was never done with dis-respect for their opponent. Why all the hate for Wood and his staff Commish? They obviously know what they are doing. 10-2 overall. Central League Co-Champs. 1st playoff win in quite a few years. Only losses to District 1 5A #1 Seed Springfield in OT and #7 team in State Coatesville. Commish was quoted in February on this site saying that Wood and the staff he put together would be a disaster. The Facts say otherwise and that AD Signear got this one right. Commish quit being such a hater!! The Players deserve alot of credit for buying in, working their butts off and leading the Green Raiders back to the Top. It was a pleasure to see the boys in Green play good old fashioned hard nosed Ridley Football once again!!!!

Reactions: lilromeo
I would not read too much into Wood and his staff/ coaching after one year - good or bad. I was not a big fan of his hiring , but that was more about the process than the actual hire.

The positives are he has numbers back, they work much harder , are more disciplined and organized than the previous regime. Let's see if he can maintain it for the long haul

The negatives are he was handed a senior laden team in a year Where the central league was really bad. Any of the other coaching candidates would have went 10-2 with this team , even decker. Remember , decker won a district championship his first year with wallers guys , that didn't Mean he was going to be right long term. Turns out the season was essentially a three game season ( GValley , Springfield , Coatesville ) and in two of the three games they looked unprepared. They still have Interboro left and I hope the staff and the players prep for this game and come out organized , and ready to,play.

Bottom line for me is its too soon to tell if he's the right choice or not. I need to see more . I also do not think he will be there long term anyway. I think he is using this as a stepping stone back to college and he is merely keeping the seat warm for Greene , who was paid top money to be lured away from his other job AND given a job in the school which is rare if you on,y looking for an offensive coordinator.

Speed - What's up w the Ridley staff and players at mid field chirping at Coatesville? Do you like your Ridley program represented that way? You are probably the most level headed Poster from that community but man it seems like it back fired w 41 points and over 500 plus yards to that vaunted defense.

No, im not a big fan of it, and nor are many of the older fans and alums. But I don't not think they are necessarily chirping AT the opponent but just chirping in general. They have done it in some fashion in every game ive been to this year. I also think I had nothing to do with the outcome of the game or the fast start of Coatesville.

No, im not a big fan of it, and nor are many of the older fans and alums. But I don't not think they are necessarily chirping AT the opponent but just chirping in general. They have done it in some fashion in every game ive been to this year. I also think I had nothing to do with the outcome of the game or the fast start of Coatesville.

Not mudslinging, but I also heard that after both their losses this year, Coach Wood has bailed on the handshake line at the end of the game. Again, just mentioning something a pretty reliable Ridley person mentioned.

Also, I heard that Wood made some comments directed at a very well respected central league head coach that he runs a "high school program" that is different from the "college program" that Wood said he runs. Needless to say, that story has made the rounds amongst the other coaches in the area, which as we know, are a tight knit bunch. Seems to be an arrogance about Coach Wood, or at least, that is what the reputation is.

Was interested to see the handshakes after the game considering the Mickey Mouse act before the game. I will confirm Coach Wood shook hands with Coatesville coaches after the game. It was more like a Jim Schwartz flyby but I mean the guy just gave up 41 points and he has no relationship that I know of with any Coatesville coaches. He was disappointed maybe even stunned believing Ridley had a good chance of winning the game. Ridley had a good year. They won the Central League. They won 10 games and should win an 11th on Thanksgiving Day. They were just beat by a much better team Friday night, period.

Was interested to see the handshakes after the game considering the Mickey Mouse act before the game. I will confirm Coach Wood shook hands with Coatesville coaches after the game. It was more like a Jim Schwartz flyby but I mean the guy just gave up 41 points and he has no relationship that I know of with any Coatesville coaches. He was disappointed maybe even stunned believing Ridley had a good chance of winning the game. Ridley had a good year. They won the Central League. They won 10 games and should win an 11th on Thanksgiving Day. They were just beat by a much better team Friday night, period.

Tri Champs for the Central League, but I hear you.

I was skeptical not of Wood's hire, but of Green's as the board may remember. I still say Wood was the right hire for the job, and as Speed pointed out, we will see what the long term is.

I will disagree though, with one of the other posters. Decker would not have had this much success with this years team. Those seem to forget how bad it was at the end of his reign.

He also did not shake hands with the Springfield staff after the loss. One caveat was that the game went overtime, came down to the last play,and the Springfield fans and team stormed the field after the gameso I don't think there was the traditional handshake line.

Central League doing a pretty good job in District playoffs for being so down this year(view from the experts). Central 3-0 against the SEC of High School Football, Suburban One teams. Ridley easily beat Suburban One American Champ Plymouth Whitemarsh 35-7. Garnet Valley beat(destroyed) Undefeated Suburban One National Champs Neshaminy 42-14 and beat Suburban One Continental Runner- Up Central Bucks South. Some of you even thought Neshaminy could take down the Goliath North Penn(Alabama).(lol). To top it off #1 Seed Springfield and Marple are in the Final Four of D1 5A. The Suburban One which gets all the love around Southeastern Pa has nobody left but the Mighty Knights. Enjoy your coffee and donuts at the local DD and Wawa. Be thankful you don't get paid for your thoughts because the Facts don't lie!!

Facts, PW was a fraud as SOL national champ, CB south another so so team , Neshaminy was overrated and banged up but good win for Garnet. I see one central rep and one SOL so central doesn't seem so much better and frankly garnet is out this week against perk valley. NP takes out Coatesville as Beck has Ortega's # and if I am correct SOL in the mighty knights had a representative in District 1 title game. Oh, I forgot 2 with UD. Not sure what point you are making.

Appreciate the feedback Speed. You've hung on but Ridley Beef, Cuckholder, etc have seem to abandon over these last few yeas. Some how I know they'll miraculously appear after this post. Why don't you run the program. Good luck Thanksgiving Day.

Central League doing a pretty good job in District playoffs for being so down this year(view from the experts). Central 3-0 against the SEC of High School Football, Suburban One teams. Ridley easily beat Suburban One American Champ Plymouth Whitemarsh 35-7. Garnet Valley beat(destroyed) Undefeated Suburban One National Champs Neshaminy 42-14 and beat Suburban One Continental Runner- Up Central Bucks South. Some of you even thought Neshaminy could take down the Goliath North Penn(Alabama).(lol). To top it off #1 Seed Springfield and Marple are in the Final Four of D1 5A. The Suburban One which gets all the love around Southeastern Pa has nobody left but the Mighty Knights. Enjoy your coffee and donuts at the local DD and Wawa. Be thankful you don't get paid for your thoughts because the Facts don't lie!!
Facts - I wouldn't just pen in the Knights yet as we have 3 very strong teams still alive. Coatesville has been dynamic on o and must say I was more impressed w Perk Valley on Saturday night vs earlier in season. Haven't seen Garnet but have to think they are right up there. Good luck to all. Side note that Springfield team is going to have its hands full w Henderson. Ask the Upper Dumplin folks.

It's nice to see the spread of Central, Ches-Mont, PAC and SOL in the final four. Doesn't often line up in that fashion. It is certainly better for the game when all the conferences and leagues are on par as we're seeing this season.

As to SOL it would appear that on an overall basis it wasn't one of their strongest years but that was acknowledged going in so not so much of a surprise at this point in 2016.

And regarding Neshaminy those who had seen them play or were otherwise "in the know" did comment on some weaknesses and issues that the team had displayed throughout the year. In fact, I think that "they" may not be entirely surprised by the loss but rather the lopsided-ness of it. No excuse but they were a little nicked up with Tredway out and a few others (plus I think GV was a bit better than advertised - or at least they were well dialed in for the 'Skins).

In any event, good luck to those schools still remaining.

It's nice to see the spread of Central, Ches-Mont, PAC and SOL in the final four. Doesn't often line up in that fashion. It is certainly better for the game when all the conferences and leagues are on par as we're seeing this season.

As to SOL it would appear that on an overall basis it wasn't one of their strongest years but that was acknowledged going in so not so much of a surprise at this point in 2016.

And regarding Neshaminy those who had seen them play or were otherwise "in the know" did comment on some weaknesses and issues that the team had displayed throughout the year. In fact, I think that "they" may not be entirely surprised by the loss but rather the lopsided-ness of it. No excuse but they were a little nicked up with Tredway out and a few others (plus I think GV was a bit better than advertised - or at least they were well dialed in for the 'Skins).

SOL has definitely been the dominant league in years past mainly because of North Penn and also Neshaminy and Pennsbury to a lesser degree. With that said I think this year will be representative of years to come with the emergence of PV, SF, Coatesville and Garnet Valley who seem the be regular impact playoff teams over th last several years. Leagues are now aligning to allow more difficult scheduling of 6A teams which is putting them on equal footing w the SOL schedule. SOL always had that benefit of 6A teams whether they were good or bad. Good luck to all and sorry to here your Skins are out Mole.

ChesMont -

Two years into Coach Wilmot's regime he's put together an overall record of 20-5 with 5 playoff appearances. That is making us all very happy as whenever a legend leaves there can be upset in any situation (as Schmidt did in 2013).

We all appreciate Frederick stepping in for 2014 but that was an odd year at 4-6 that is fading. And Wilmot will now be seeing juniors and seniors next year that are very, very used to him (and there were a boatload of younger kids out there this season - and kids coming up too - so we look to be well stocked for the upcoming seasons).

Tredway was a big absence as he is arguably their best player, starting on both sides of the ball, returning punts and kicks and holding on placements. The weather also worked against Neshaminy. They are a devastating passing team, especially with the long ball, and the wind pretty much stopped the long ball early in the game to its conclusion. I saw Manzyk wide open racing down the sidelines, a pass Jones usually hits, and he overthrew him by 10 yards with the wind to his back and left. North Penn looks like it had some of the same problems with its long game. That said, Neshaminy's sloppy tackling on D and teams cost them the game. With Tredway and no wind and the game is closer, maybe different. According to the Nesaminy people, they handled GV well in the preseason scrimmage. You could see all season that the poor tackling was going to be their demise at some point.
I am not trying to take anything away from GV, they played a great game and executed exceptionally. They deserved the win. I just would like to have seen Neshaminy with its full arsenal try to overcome their own poor tackling and great execution of GV. It would have made for a much more enjoyable game and would have given the seniors a little better memory.

ChesMont -

Two years into Coach Wilmot's regime he's put together an overall record of 20-5 with 5 playoff appearances. That is making us all very happy as whenever a legend leaves there can be upset in any situation (as Schmidt did in 2013).

We all appreciate Frederick stepping in for 2014 but that was an odd year at 4-6 that is fading. And Wilmot will now be seeing juniors and seniors next year that are very, very used to him (and there were a boatload of younger kids out there this season - and kids coming up too - so we look to be well stocked for the upcoming seasons).
Tredway was a big absence as he is arguably their best player, starting on both sides of the ball, returning punts and kicks and holding on placements. The weather also worked against Neshaminy. They are a devastating passing team, especially with the long ball, and the wind pretty much stopped the long ball early in the game to its conclusion. I saw Manzyk wide open racing down the sidelines, a pass Jones usually hits, and he overthrew him by 10 yards with the wind to his back and left. North Penn looks like it had some of the same problems with its long game. That said, Neshaminy's sloppy tackling on D and teams cost them the game. With Tredway and no wind and the game is closer, maybe different. According to the Nesaminy people, they handled GV well in the preseason scrimmage. You could see all season that the poor tackling was going to be their demise at some point.
I am not trying to take anything away from GV, they played a great game and executed exceptionally. They deserved the win. I just would like to have seen Neshaminy with its full arsenal try to overcome their own poor tackling and great execution of GV. It would have made for a much more enjoyable game and would have given the seniors a little better memory.
Mole - Neshaminy is great program no doubt and so is the new coach. North Penn is on its own level as it's made so many and won many more district championships than any other recently. I think the Coatesville coach can be mentioned right up there w two district appearances and state championship appearance in his short time. Coatesville is right in that next tier but none have the North Penn success.

Not mudslinging, but I also heard that after both their losses this year, Coach Wood has bailed on the handshake line at the end of the game. Again, just mentioning something a pretty reliable Ridley person mentioned.

Also, I heard that Wood made some comments directed at a very well respected central league head coach that he runs a "high school program" that is different from the "college program" that Wood said he runs. Needless to say, that story has made the rounds amongst the other coaches in the area, which as we know, are a tight knit bunch. Seems to be an arrogance about Coach Wood, or at least, that is what the reputation is.
What does that even mean or insinuate, "a tight knit group"? I coached hockey for years and knew all the other coaches well enough to say hello, but hardly a tight knit group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT