ADVERTISEMENT

Upper Darby

DDRTC

Nov 3, 2017
I know we will be getting into breaking down this weekend's games soon. But since it's only Monday, does anyone have any updates on the UD search?

no names yet, but just heard they are trying to go after a big name coach and totally revamp and upgrade the program. One upgrade is the new field. Now what they mean by big name coach? I have no idea. Most likely and experienced head coach who has has success at another school but might be looking to up his profile. There are a few guys coaching in the area that would fit that profile, but i have no names.

From my understanding they have started phone interviews. Don’t know if there are any big names available to go for it though. Is anyone from the current staff capable? Is Upper Darby a high profile place to coach that could draw a big name?

There are some people that think UD is a sleeping giant and that Gentile underachieved during his tenure ( 0 Central Titles, 0 playoff wins). While I do not see UD as the next GV or Coatesville, they have a huge enrollment, lots of athletes in the school, and if the school makes the commitment financially, a top notch coach can certainly have them competing for league titles and playoff berths.

Once again, I have not heard any big names, but someone like the Interboro coach or Bonner coach could be viable options. The Interboro coach has had years and years of success and is know to run a pretty tight ship. But I think the well has run dry at Interboro and he would give the UD program instant credibility. The Bonner coach is right up the street from UD and has done a masterful job this year. But I am not sure that success is sustainable and maybe they just caught lightning in a bottle. So his stock might never be higher and if UD throws some money his way and gets him a job in the school, I would imagine that might be tempting.

I can give some insight on this since I used to be involved in that program. As a coach you always hear about "the message boards" and people posting info and most of it is just rumor. Ill try to say as much fact as I can.

When the original list of candidates came out I saw it. It was only about 15 people and out of those 15 only two with HC experience. Fluck( no joke) and Breisblatt. One or two guys had college experience as position coaches but nothing to write home about. Over the last few months more people applied. None to my knowledge with HC experience. Again I only saw the original list and have a decent idea as to whose in the finals.

A search committee was formed consisting of alumni, a parent of a senior and booster president(also a mom of an alum). The alumni on the committee have attended maybe 5 games in the last three years as a whole. The AD who spearheaded the exit of Gentile was in charge of the committee. The committee did not sit in on the phone interviews. However, they created questions for the phone interviews being run by the AD and some other admin. They did one round of phone interviews and are now in the final 4, unless they did other rounds of interviews that I am unaware of.

There was one candidate who had a decent resume from a college program. He applied for a teaching job in the building but did not get it. I honestly think they wanted him but when the department within the building wanted someone else that ruined their plans. There is one coach who is in the final 4 that would be the perfect transition for the program. He's a teacher there and knows the building and the kids inside and out. They would be stupid not to hire him. If they don't they would lose 4-5 coaches who teach in the building ( I can't stress how important that is at a place like UD).

Since last December, I have been hearing "they have their guy" and " a big name is going for the job". To my knowledge that is not true. Most coaches I talked to said they didn't want to touch the job based on a few things. The way they handled Gentile and the time and effort outside of football related activities. A few of them were head coaches rumored to go for the job.

I can talk all day about the "sleeping giant" comments or the fact that people think they have stud athletes walking the hallways. It's easy to say that but until you've been apart of the program you'll never know. I've heard Inter Ac coaches say they would love to coach at UD and they would turn it into a state power. Oddly enough you didn't see any of those names on the list.

Speed I would love to know what you heard and from what source.

Lennox from Interboro isn't going to leave for another job at this point. With his age what it is on top of being a teacher inside the HS, his next and most likely final move is retirement

Lennox from Interboro isn't going to leave for another job at this point. With his age what it is on top of being a teacher inside the HS, his next and most likely final move is retirement

Newp...he did make it all the way to the end of the Penncrest hiring spot before choosing not to pursue the opportunity. I agree it is unlikely but not far fetched.

Cheers,

Busch

Reactions: newport
Lennox has put out feelers in the past for several jobs-including both Ridley & Springfield. He could keep his teaching job at Interboro and coach at UD.

Reactions: newport
Lennox is not in the running nor did he put his name in. Quite frankly I believe his time is past him.

Would a current head coach of a team that is still in season put his name in now, or wait until their current season is over?

I would say you should apply when the position is posted and not after the position is taken down. Considering the job isn't posted anymore and he's not in the finals (to my knowledge) I would say he didn't apply. But I don't know that for a fact.

The way the whole thing was handled from the beginning is baffling. I think most people just assumed that if you force a coach to leave, but let him finish out the next season, it must be because you have your guy lined up. Which apparently they didn't. Then to post it in the spring is ridiculous. I can't imagine many current head coaches would apply out of respect to his current program. The only reason they would want to hire quick would be to try to get the best available coach. But by taking the timeline they did, they drastically weakened the candidate pool. So they are rushing to hire from a list of guys who would have been there in January regardless.

Lennox is not in the running nor did he put his name in. Quite frankly I believe his time is past him.
Agreed... Interboro might be in worse shape of any team in Delco... If he doesn't retire soon they run the risk of great damage to a proud program... I highly doubt he would make that move...

Would Interboro be a desirable job if/when Lennox steps down?
That’s a good question. They struggle with numbers like most programs these days. And who knows if they can keep up with the speed of the rest of the Del Val.

The UD job is unique in many ways. Coach ER can testify to that.
Each year they field well over thirty kids, with ease, on the freshman team.
By mid season, over a third are gone due to border jumping (philly city limits), grades and normal attrition.
Often all, or close to it, starters!
This goes on each season and each grade.
The staff there has done a great job over the years dealing with these and other issues. Football aside, this becomes very tricky.

Lennox should have stepped down last year. He has done more for Interboro than anyone could ever expect. Look at their record vs Ridley prior to his arrival. I believe they one a single game in thirty years.
He won his first year and just about every other year after. That's impressive!
Very good coach but like the Kentucky Derby, you have to have horses!

DD. You are correct in how it was mishandled. Wouldn’t they have a larger pool if they posted it now , instead of last spring !

Or , if you are going to give your coach a so called victory tour , hire the coach in the spring , put him on staff , and give him a running start like Temple did with Hanlon/ McKie

Reactions: myboyblue62
Not sure the date change would attract many more. We aren’t talking a D1 football job. We are talking maybe $7k after taxes.

This is a real job for a true coach. If this was as high profile of a job as everyone thinks, the “big name coaches” (whoever they are) would have applied. I think the uncertainty of what goes on at a school like UD is unattractive to most. Before you can coach football, it requires more work than most places.

It’s a big job as far as school size, updating facilities etc. The way they handled the dismissal of the previous coach is not the best way to attract qualify coaches.

I’m sure UD has a lot of issues but the truth is, it is a sleeping giant. And I’m sure they have a guy in mind, from what I hear, the name will shock many, but not all of us.

I’ve heard out of the 4 finalist there is one city guy. I have not heard of any names though. We shall know more by end of this week when the interviews wrap up.

Much of the numbers issue at Interboro is a product of Lennox coaching style more so than the community interest level. Right or wrong Lennox is old school, run em off type of guy. Young kids are there to hold a bag and not much else. If you aren't a Friday night guy, you don't have much of a place in that program. Their freshman team usually has good numbers and then most are run off as sophs.

As for UD, who is the name from the city? I heard they reached out to several guys, some of whom are alumni, and were flat turned down. If someone is working in education, UD isnt the most desirable district to go work in unless you get a sweetheart asst AD set up or something with a separate contract . Teaching contract in UD doesn't compare to almost anywhere around Chester, Bucks, Montgomery, or Delco.

I’ve done some digging and the only name I can Come up with is Lincoln from Imhotep. Not sure why he would leave there. But has local ties with his stint at penn wood.

I would Be shocked if it was albie. But he does seem to be having a tough time at Neumann

Fluck applied. Just sayin. Personally think the whole process is insane to not wait until after year is over. If they were able to pay up and commit I can think of some pretty big names who might fit.

Very unique situation. Will take right person and commitment. For those who don’t think there is something there reference game against Garnet Valley few weeks ago. See GV results first two weeks in 6a playoffs.

Coaches turned off by handling of situation with previous group which is understandable. However it’s big school, has some real talent and some absolute challenges. I always ask folks is it more challenging then Academy Park, Penn Wood or Chester? The answer in coaching community is sometimes yes.

If they find someone to do for Upper Darby what Vo has done at Academy Park has potential to be a bear in Central League and factor District wise. Easier said then done. Have to find the person and need backup and commitment from kids, admin, and community. I always thought right guy was right there but it never happened and “ship sailed”. That’s a shame for everyone.

I would Be shocked if it was albie. But he does seem to be having a tough time at Neumann

They were 11-1 this year and have practically their whole team back. Not sure I'd classify that as having a tough time.

Gang,
Agree 100% the right guy was right in front of them but the higher ups screwed that up. Would have been as smooth transition as you could have had.

Can’t see it being promising to outsiders seeing how they (admin) treated a coach who has given 30+ years of his life fully committed to the program.

If Lincoln is not in running, how about Albie? Any chance he would leave NG?

You tell me. I’m not saying i am plugged in to what UD has in mind. I don’t know who or when they are interviewing, but I do know who the city guy being discussed is. All I will say is that his name was mentioned in one of the above comments.

Last edited:
I keep hearing the rhetoric that there are coaches that won’t apply because of how they treated the coach on his way out. I also hear from others that they can’t believe he lasted this long.

So for those Gentile supporters , tell me how the transition should have been handled ? From all I’ve heard he is a very stand up individual who goes over and above that call of duty for his kids and school. On the other hand , 30+ years and zero titles and zero playoff wins. Some would argue that’s loyal to a fault. So how many more years did he deserve to coach ? What is reasonable.? Or should be able to go out on his terms and retire when he wants to retire? There are obviously people ( Gentile included ) that are bitter about the way it was handled.but whats the alternative?

Funny enough he has a playoff win in Districts. They won a playoff game in 2015 against one of the Council Rocks. So pretty sure now that Haverford finally got over that hump only Lower Merion and Harriton have never won a State game.

Coaching community pretty insular place where people are aware of the intricacies of situations. Don’t think anyone would argue that a change there might be best thing. Probably should or could have happened little while ago. Most thought the that they had very deserving person in house. One who had been loyal to program and was well thought of inside coaching circles.

Things became tenuous between admin, influential alumni, staff around a lot of things concerning the program. A lot happened. A lot of folks looked at what when down, the timing, the politics, the complexities, the strangeness of farewell tour while the heir apparent was eliminated, rush to interview during an active season where their interest could signal bad intentions to current situation and said let me avoid this with a ten foot pole.

So all that combined has tempered the interest in my opinion.

GG. I hear you. Some would say the politics actually worked to his advantage- keeping him there longer than he should strictly based on his record. And I don’t get the whole victory tour thing from either perspective. If I’m the school board and I don’t think he’s good enough to coach any more , just let him go. If I’m the coach and I know they don’t want me anymore ,I’m gone. It’s not like he’s on a 3 yr deal paying him $1 million a year like a college or pro coach. The last year seemed like a contrived compromise,but I’m not sure who it ended up benefiting.

Funny enough he has a playoff win in Districts. They won a playoff game in 2015 against one of the Council Rocks. So pretty sure now that Haverford finally got over that hump only Lower Merion and Harriton have never won a State game.

Coaching community pretty insular place where people are aware of the intricacies of situations. Don’t think anyone would argue that a change there might be best thing. Probably should or could have happened little while ago. Most thought the that they had very deserving person in house. One who had been loyal to program and was well thought of inside coaching circles.

Things became tenuous between admin, influential alumni, staff around a lot of things concerning the program. A lot happened. A lot of folks looked at what when down, the timing, the politics, the complexities, the strangeness of farewell tour while the heir apparent was eliminated, rush to interview during an active season where their interest could signal bad intentions to current situation and said let me avoid this with a ten foot pole.

So all that combined has tempered the interest in my opinion.
GG:
Technically, Haverford hasn't won a state playoff game either. Friday is the first round of the state playoffs. Up until now, only district playoffs.

The guy they "had waiting" may have had good intentions but couldn't have handled wanting change in a worse way. Like it or not football is PART of the school community and when you blow up principal and superintendent and call them out, you're gonna get shown the door. They ultimately are the boss. We all have jobs, same thing would happen if you pop off at your boss and tell them they're terrible and hurting the business. He made his bed.

There are some UD alumni out there coaching other places, and some with HC experience. Also a lot of good coaches in similar circumstances (Imhotep, AP, Coatesville) that are having success Problem is UD also couldn't have handled this worse. What about this gives someone confidence that the admin will be effective once a new coach is in house?

Bottom line people on both sides showed immaturity in the handling of this and now whole program at one of largest HS in the state is in limbo.

Reactions: Concretechuck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT