ADVERTISEMENT

Unionville 37 - Garnett Valley 13

I didn't see where anyone had GV rated ? They will struggle with QB play this year and defense as well. Also their best player suffered a concussion this week and missed the game. With him it's a closer game , but Unionville still the better team.

ChesmontLeague1....this is off season research I posted a month or two ago you may not have seen. Uville looks loaded ....IF....they have anything under center. After reviewing 41 some Eastern teams that were posted, I had them in the Top 20 at 18. Good coach, good material so who knows; maybe pull a surprise or two. Exeter should be a good one and its a nice place to see a game.

Unionville 6-4; Unionville won five of their final eight but missing the playoffs. So it was a so-so year but their tenth consecutive winning season. And it was a young team with only eleven seniors returning, meaning they have huge numbers with lots of experience for this season. Coach said they developed great depth last year. All of this was accomplished without Defensive Coordinator Harry O’Neill who moved over to the top spot at Avon Grove for the 2014 campaign.
The biggest task this year will be replacing quarterback/punter/place kicker Alex Pechin (6-1, 185). In 2013 (8-3) he threw and ran for just over 2000 yards. Last year’s stats showed a 51% completion rate (69 of 135) for 1206 yards. He also rushed for 392 yards on 72 carries. But he’ll likely be most remembered for his booming +40 yard punts and kick-offs to the end zone as well as the ability to make long field goals under pressure. In the opener against Garnet Valley, he kicked two field goals, one of them a 50-yarder that helped win the 8-6 slugfest. He’ll be kicking for Bucknell this season. Last year’s junior back up Jason Hagan (6-0, 175, sr) got some time and will probably get the nod this year. The team has some players with real talent and speed in running back Brandon Boon (5-9, 155, sr) and wide out Elan Nash (5-11, 185, sr) who has explosive speed. They are high on Mark Knightly (5-10, 160, sr) who will join Boon in the backfield along with Bryce McManue (6-0, 210, jr) as it looks now. The O-line returns Sean Green (6-6, 240, sr), Mike Cresta (6-0, 235, jr), TE Pat Clark (6-3, 220, sr, coach’s son) juniors Matt Dauphin and Asger Hansen and Sam Gangel, a senior. Jack Bacciellieri is also in the mix. But they’ll miss four year starting center Andrew Jones, 6-0, 280 and OG Paul Steffy (Dickinson), a three year starter at 6-1, 250. Jones will play at Bryant College (8-3) whose 14-7 loss to Sacred Heart denied them the auto berth in the FCS.
The D lost Jones and Seffi on the line plus two good linebackers in Michael Weber (6-1, 210) and Quinn Cheyney (6-1, 225). Experienced LBs return in Dylan Rappucci (6-0, 210, sr), Trevor Gardinier (6-0, 190, jr), Shane Jones (5-11, 210, jr) and Laz Kirfidies (5-9, 165, sr). The secondary is loaded with a possible D1 prospect in Elan Nash (5-11, 185, sr), Tyler Marmo (5-10, 165, sr), Drew Stradling (5-10, 160, sr) and Max Camateros-Man (5-11, 165, sr). Juniors Matt Dauphin and Mike Cresta will fill in the DL positions along with seniors Sam Gangel and Thomas Mallon.
The schedule this year reads nearly the same as last year’s showing Garnet Valley as the opener followed by Exeter Twp and Avon Grove, all at home. The Jags and Indians are often a well contested game and should be again this year. Exeter lost QB Chase Yocum but return the big freshman who spelled him in last year’s game, Brandon Unterkoefler (6-1, 195, so), plus most of their receivers, backs and at least three lineman including Penn State recruit Micah Menet (6-5, 280, sr), the #6 OT in the country and top player in the state. Other return starters include Nathaniel Weber (6-3, 250, sr), Brett Moyer (6-2, 230, sr) and likely Tyler Holley (6-3, 275, jr). With anything reasonable under center Exeter will field another dangerous team. Also, Downingtown East replaces Henderson in Downingtown. That will be a difficult one with U-ville coming in off a road game at Rustin. Garnet Valley and Exeter will give us a clue about Unionville while Rustin and Downingtown will likely confirm.

I didn't see where anyone had GV rated ? They will struggle with QB play this year and defense as well. Also their best player suffered a concussion this week and missed the game. With him it's a closer game , but Unionville still the better team.
Speed - I believe GV was rated higher than Unionville in that Philadelphia area top 25. I knew Unioville was going to be good but didn't expect them that many points on team that seems to regularly make the D1 AAAA playoffs and usually rules the Central. Good luck to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT