ADVERTISEMENT

The West AAAA.... # 1 through # 5

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
1. Pittsburgh Central Catholic 11-2
Although they have good numbers returning especially on defense, the offense still has concerns. Not at QB with Michael Navarro returning (45/67, 581py, 67%, 11/0 Td-Pik), but because an integral piece of the offense is gone, S/WR John Petrischen. Apart from being Navarro’s favorite target (18/354), his returns often gave them great field position with four returned for touchdowns. Most teams learned to kick away from him. He is largely the reason they beat Penn Trafford, running for 212 yards out of the Wildcat on 17 carries. Incidentally, the Viking defense allowed over 300 yards passing in that one. The week before against Woodland Hills, the offense was essentially non-existent, scoring one touchdown and seven first downs while gaining 126 yards of total offense, none through the air. The rest of the scoring came by way of the defense scoring two on a fumble (Rashad Wheeler 25-yds) and a pick (Kurt Hinish 32-yds) and a 55-yd punt return by Petrischen in a 28-0 win. The Wildcat opens things up (last two games) but they need to find another Petrischen to be less one-dimensional, especially with their stiffest competition played on the road; Bethel Park, North Allegheny, North Hills and Pine Richland. About that defense, eight are FBS recruits (Div-1 scholarship offers), two are FCS recruits. Those garnering the most attention are DLs CJ Thorpe (6-4, 305, jr), and Rashad Wheeler (6-1, 285, sr), cornerback Damar Hamlin (6-2, 190, sr), junior linebacker David Adams (6-2, 220), senior backer Ron George (6-2, 215) and DB Bricen Garner (6-2, 185, sr). Pick a “name” university and that’s who’s recruiting these players! DL Kurt Hinish (6-3, 280, jr) and DB Ron Jones (6-1, 190, sr, committed to Toledo) are being recruited by Toledo and other Mid-American level teams. Linebacker Chase Hawthorne (6-0, 215, sr) and DB Braxton Swann (6-1, 180, sr) got the attention of Patriot and Ivy League schools so the table is set for an extraordinary year by the defense who should set up the offense in good field position, scoring a few Tds along the way.

2. Penn Trafford 11-1
Given the concerns above there may not be that much difference between these two top teams, regardless how much Central Catholic’s D1 players have been lauded and promoted. They were on the field last year against this team (except Ron George) in a game whose score belies the competitive nature of that contest. Performance still trumps potential so we’ll see how it unfold if there is a rematch. Making a long story short, the Warriors resemble last year’s Pine Richland group, loaded on both sides of the line with a veteran quarterback in Brett Laffoon (6-2, 200, sr, 2005py, 409ry, 66%, 28/2), a pile of running backs and a veteran receiver corps led by the diminutive Tim Vecchio (5-10, 170, sr) with 1022 yards on 43 receptions. If they can replace some holes in the lines they are set. They had some big wins last year, putting a physical crush job on McKeesport, holding the vaunted Tiger attack to 121 total yards and Khaleke Hudson to 53 yards at McKeesport. Hudson finished the year with 1773 yards. Also beat North Allegheny in the Wpial quarterfinal 35-31 before losing in the semifinal to Central Catholic 52-34. This was a very back and forth game, sealed with a fourth quarter touchdown. Quarterback Laffoon was 15 of 25 for 218 yards in that one with one Td in a crazy game of on-side kicks, 2 recovered by PT, Flea Flickers and the Wildcat. The coming season sees them opening with Kiski, then Connellsville before playing McKeesport at home. With health, they stand a good chance of running the table again, securing another high seed. They are battle tested and veteran, having played in two straight semifinals.

3. Central Dauphin 11-3
A lot of bodies return from last year’s district runner-up including QBs David Payton (5-9, 180, sr, 48/91/517py/53%, 0/1, 670ry) and AJ Millar (6-2, 175, jr, 36/82/421/44%, 6/5, 133ry) and their outstanding running back Raleigh Sirb (5-9, 190, sr, 1352ry). Additionally, Mike Burgwin (5-9, 185, sr) transferred in from Central Dauphin East bringing his rushing abilities to add to an already talented backfield. The missing piece might be Terrell Gabriel (5-9, 205, jr) who has grown into the fullback position, a key position in the Ram attack. Another transfer, Chad Cortez (6-3, 195) from McDevitt had 12 receptions for 318 yards last year. The line returns four of six including Paul Wakefield (6-1, 295, sr), Steven Veronikis (6-5, 225, sr), Evan Childs (6-3, 275, jr), (C) Ethan Morrow (5-10, 270, sr) and Thomas Whitcomb (6-4, 290, sr). And the anomaly that was last year’s platoon system at quarterback will likely end with Coach McNamee going with one quarterback. Millar is the thrower and younger of the two but with great experience while Payton has diverse skills that were almost lost at quarterback. On the other side they return one of the top D-Fronts in the state; DEs Reid Albright (5-10, 210, sr, 101 tackles), last year’s spectacular freshman Micah Parsons (6-3, 225, so, 14saks, 27TFL), Rashaun Gabriel (6-1, 210, sr, 67 tackles), DLs Evan Childs (6-3, 270, jr, 10 tackles), AJ Perez (6-3, 275, sr, transferred back from East) Leonard Guzman (5-11, 215, sr, 12 tackles) and Joe Williams (6-5, 290, sr). Also back at LB is Mike Betz (5-11, 210, sr, 87 tackles, 10saks) and Adam Thornton (5-10, 205, sr, 106 tackles). The secondary returns two plus Burgwin. Last year’s team lost twice to Wilson, 14-12 and 21-10 in the playoffs. The other loss was in-conference to Cumberland Valley (9-3) 7-0. If the passing game develops as expected, and it’s been a Ram strength over the years, the sky is the limit. This, combined with recent, quality transfers, a defense that could be one of their very finest and the usual Ram excellence on special teams has them poised for very big things.

4. Woodland Hills 8-3
Another loaded addition here that returns QB Jeremiah Jones (6-1, 205, sr, 843py, 48%), running back Miles Sanders (6-0., 195, sr, 1132, 11.67ypc, 18 Tds, PSU) Joe-El Shaw (6-1, 230, sr, 696, 10 Tds), WR Jaymond Dunn et al….and a behemoth line featuring Wilford Clark (6-0, 300, sr), Tearl Grey (6-2, 260, jr), Amon Youngblood (6-4, 325, jr), Eric Mitchell (6-2, 290, sr), and Miguel Cobbs (6-1, 260, sr). Went two deep last year although Clark and Cobbs played both ways. Also played a lot of sophs in the secondary to ramp up the speed with good experience-depth everywhere. They sailed through last year’s schedule going 6-0 scoring 344 points before losing to West Allegheny 42-41ot, then shut out Mount Lebanon the following week 47-0 before losing to arch rival Penn Hills 22-15. For a team priding itself on defense, allowing (yr end avg) 15ppg, 9, 12, 14, 14, 15 and 13ppg from 2008 through 2014, last year’s 28-0 loss to Central Catholic had to be an tough pill to swallow. The schedule is amenable with two home games to kick it off, Peters Township and Bethel Park, followed by road games at Shaler and Baldwin. Then its home to Upper St Clair. It doesn’t get much better with four of their toughest five games played at home; Bethel Park, Upper St Clair, West Allegheny (11-2, AAA-Wpial finalist) and Mount Lebanon. Tho its at Penn Hills, it’s often a coin toss when these two tangle. Excepting West Allegheny, all the comp should be improved over last year so the homers won’t be givens with Bethel, USC and Lebo returning good numbers. West A isn’t depleted but are looking to replace quarterback Andrew Koester. Like Central Dauphin, the Wolverines will probably have to find a passing attack to get through Districts and beyond.

5. Wilson 14-1

They’ve won seven straight LL-Section-1 titles, fifty consecutive LL games and two straight district titles. Their won-loss since Coach Doug Dahms came aboard in 2006 is 107-16. All that’s missing is the illusive state title. While they’ve had some great teams and close calls, they haven’t been to the final since 1989 where they lost to Upper St Clair 12-7. Maybe this year, where they return a healthy number of starters and a lot of experience to boot. Quarterback Jake Klein (6-1, 200, sr) is experienced and will get the nod replacing graduated Jake Templin who had a solid season (126/249/1768/51%, 30/12 Td-Pick). For the Bulldogs, almost all the running backs return, including standout senior Shane Dantzler (5-9, 175, 1659ry) and five of the top six receivers. The line will feature senior Nick Kline (6-2, 265) who missed all of last year with an injury. Prior to last year he was considered their best lineman. He’ll be supported by MLB/OT Ike Schannauer (6-1, 245, sr), DL/OG Ben Harris (6-0, 210, sr), Jake Morris (5-11, 245, jr), Pete Weidner (5-10, 230, sr) and TE Alex Twiford (6-3, 225, sr). These returns should give the new quarterback every chance of success. Given Wilson’s tradition at that position, they will be fine. Defensively, a strong nucleus of starters and co-starters returns led by linebackers Ike Schannauer (105 tackles) and Foday Jalloh (6-1, 190, sr, 56 tackles). Jon Fox (6-0, 195, sr, 52 tackles) returns at SS with Ben Harris also playing DL. Jake Gehman (6-1, 190, sr, 39 tackles) and Tom O’Brien (5-11, 175, jr, 25) return to the secondary at CB and FS. They open with arch rival Governor Mifflin (complete rebuild) and Central Dauphin East, both on the road before the home opener in what is possibly a preview of the district final against Central Dauphin. It’s a bad spot for CD playing Bulldogs in their home opener but what a game that should be. SRO at 6,000 to 7,000 so get there early! Others will emerge in the super competitive District-3 but look for Wilson and CD to lead the pack.

Couple comments based on stuff going around out here:

PCC: They are spreading the ball out on offense alot more and the word on the street is Navarro may not be the starter. A sophomore that might have a little better arm. Also, lots of rumors about Hamlin being out for a while with a groin injury. With all that said, their defense is SOLID.

PT: The comment about them being this year's Pine-Richland is exactly right. Have been knocked out twice by PCC in WPIAL semi-finals, and they spread the field enough to keep PCC defense honest. This is their year to make a run.

Woody: Jones no longer at QB, with Miles Sanders and another kid taking snaps.

You know I know I saw where Jones wasn't at Qb then lost the info-source? Thanks for the reminder.

And I was wondering when PCC would do more with the Wildcat personnel wise or just move Navarro.

Isn't the Qb situation in Oakland a like LSU not being able to find a competent QB over the years or like Alabama's inability to find a good kicker. More a coaching issue-problem-philosophy than a shortage of talent at LSU, Bama or Central Catholic.

You know I know I saw where Jones wasn't at Qb then lost the info-source? Thanks for the reminder.

And I was wondering when PCC would do more with the Wildcat personnel wise or just move Navarro.

Isn't the Qb situation in Oakland a like LSU not being able to find a competent QB over the years or like Alabama's inability to find a good kicker. More a coaching issue-problem-philosophy than a shortage of talent at LSU, Bama or Central Catholic.

I'll let one of the PCC guys comment on the "getting a QB to oakland" philosopy. LoL

PCC moved Frerotte to slot back (a QB last year) and seems to be a full time receiver. Small, quick, fast kid. Great role for him. Navaro and Fisher are battling it out at QB. From everything I've heard, Fisher got off to a rough start in their first scrimmage, but was the first QB in in their second, so I guess he improved alot.

Also, to be clear, everything points to PCC NOT being wildcat - neither Navarro or Fisher are that kind of kid - but rather full time, true spread with 3 WRs and a TE/FB in game. I'm sure they will run their power game from that set, but all indications are that they are throwing more than ever in a modern fashion - not the bootleg/waggle stuff they have done in the past.

Here's the funny thing (depending on how you look at it I guess) - the Fisher kid lives in Seneca Valley school district - one of the teams in the Quad North with PCC. Not happy times up there, give how much SV struggled last year and lost their starting QB to graduation...

Right, Troy Fisher, the 6-4 Soph QB looks to be the starter and he is from Cranberry. I spoke to his mothe and grandfather at Friday's scrimmage. They are very happy at Central and receive 0 aide and contrary to to what the folks assume at Seneca was not recruited. His mom said the Central kids talk about going to Ivy League schools his former classmates talked about partying. She said it was the best decision they ever made. Back to football. Navarro probably will still see some playing time as he is a good running QB. The Running backs will be Ronnie Joneswho has committed to Toledo and Ron George who was to be their Starter last year but was out with a leg injury. Vinny Emmanuale, a very tough inside strong runner will see a lot of playing time . Braxton Swann is the rt CB (Lynn 's son) he's 6-1, 180 and getting Patriot looks. Two other NFL sons are As mentioned above Gunnar Freotte at wide Recevier and Jermaine Stephens, 6-2 , 335 nose tackle. There's more but that's it for now.

I had to chuckle about the Party vs. Ivy league comment. Very true.

Is Hamlin out? Sports hernia and possible surgery?

Reactions: pcc64
I didn't hear that but I'll ask around. I was stuck between a car next to Troy's mother and grandfather. Got a lot of info from her. When I inquired about Hamlin who wasn't dressed she said it was minor. Don't know if she was in the know in that regard. Seemed like she was. Served the team food at the camp. Joked about jermaine Stephens weighing 375. Her son's goal is to play Qb at an Ivy League school. He had a 4.68 gpa his fresh year. I'm on Twitter with some of the kids so I'll see what I can can find out. You have me concerned.

Btw, Stalker's overview of the western Quad A teams are by far the the most thorough and specific that I have seen bar none. I marvel at how much you know about our teams. The part about don't kick to Central was so right on. St Joe was the first to execute that in the championship game in Hershey to years ago and Coach K did it to Central Last year. That was big in beating the Vikes last year. That's one of the fun things about attending Central games , the big kick returns. When they receive a kick , look out. Oh and New to Pa I enjoy your knowledge also, enen if you are a Pine Richland guy. A few months a go a kid knocked on my door and he was selling a coupon book for Pine Richland. I told him I was A Central Catholic guy and he about crapped his pants. I made the purchase anyway.

Reactions: new2pa
Oh and New to Pa I enjoy your knowledge also, enen if you are a Pine Richland guy. A few months a go a kid knocked on my door and he was selling a coupon book for Pine Richland. I told him I was A Central Catholic guy and he about crapped his pants. I made the purchase anyway.

That is hilarious and THANK YOU! HaHa :)

Thanks new2pa and pcc64 for the PCC updates. Good seeing them move in the direction of the 21st century.... :) ....before being overtaken by more progressive systems, eg....SJP, PR, et al.
No offense to one of the great programs in state, just a pet peeve being from District 3 where power football is complimented by a passing attack; teams like Bishop McDevitt, Central Dauphin East, Wilson, Manheim Township, Cedar Cliff and Central Dauphin. Despite CD's struggles at that position the last two, Coach McNamee's philosophy mirrors his title team in 2011 and follow-up 2012 teams, not 2013-14. They look to have a potent backfield this year but he'll wing it!
Back to PCC, won't it be something seeing them set at the position for years if the soph works out.

House 1978, you're not alone liking Woody but I think we're all a little burnt out by their Gateway-like close calls, stocked with so much talent. But hey, it was never easy getting past NA, PCC, Gateway even some of the Penn Hills teams were special. Bethel, North Hills and Lebo all jumped up from time to time with good stuff too.

I thought the 09 team with PCC transfer Dom Timbers was the team. There again, they lost to a good State College team who was a no-show verses LaSalle in final, looking almost soft? But as always, if the Black and Turquoise ever get a passing attack!!!!

Reactions: new2pa
That is good news for him and the team. I hear he is a very good kid with great parents!

Thanks new2pa and pcc64 for the PCC updates. Good seeing them move in the direction of the 21st century.... :) ....before being overtaken by more progressive systems, eg....SJP, PR, et al.
No offense to one of the great programs in state, just a pet peeve being from District 3 where power football is complimented by a passing attack; teams like Bishop McDevitt, Central Dauphin East, Wilson, Manheim Township, Cedar Cliff and Central Dauphin. Despite CD's struggles at that position the last two, Coach McNamee's philosophy mirrors his title team in 2011 and follow-up 2012 teams, not 2013-14. They look to have a potent backfield this year but he'll wing it!
Back to PCC, won't it be something seeing them set at the position for years if the soph works out.

House 1978, you're not alone liking Woody but I think we're all a little burnt out by their Gateway-like close calls, stocked with so much talent. But hey, it was never easy getting past NA, PCC, Gateway even some of the Penn Hills teams were special. Bethel, North Hills and Lebo all jumped up from time to time with good stuff too.

I thought the 09 team with PCC transfer Dom Timbers was the team. There again, they lost to a good State College team who was a no-show verses LaSalle in final, looking almost soft? But as always, if the Black and Turquoise ever get a passing attack!!!!
Difference between woodland hills and those teams is they are a 5 time wipal champs, 5 time wpial runner up, and three time Western champs. Coach novak is the 2nd winningest coach in the wpial. They are loaded with d1 talent. 5 I can think of right of the top of my head but probably more. Is there a better running back tanduim in the state then Joel Shaw (Pitt) and miles sanders (pennstate) ?miles sanders is also the number #1 recruit in PA.

Stalk -

For some 15 years now you have been providing great reviews for us PA scholastic grid guys. And as I've told you before I've enjoyed the heck out of them and I hope you keep up your efforts for a long time to come (and your broader statewide reviews and then snippets of the "national scene" are also a treat).

Hey - do you remember the weekly Top Tens you used to crank out? That was a monumental amount of work you put in (I couldn't wait for those Tuesday nights when it was released on both the old Strath Haven site and then Langhorne's).

Thanks.

PS Living way out here in "The Hills" your stuff helps keep me grounded too (so it does serve multiple purposes).

Awesome write up. This is one of the best top 5s the Western half has seen in years in my opinion. A lot of really great teams in 4A this year. Can't wait for the season!

Keystone2Caliman!
Thanks Skinner Man. 15 years! Don’t know if you recall I used to do a Hoops Top 10 til wife #2 (3 ?) said….really! Then the SE-PA Top 20 morphed into the State Top 10 and SE-PA Top 10. Been some time! Hey, maybe we connect at Bobby Dodd Nov 28 th. Since you’re no longer in the Jackets’ backfield for us Bulldogs to swarm, we might just Wreck the Tech!

WpialHSFB and pcc64
Thank you….and it’s good having you guys give your views here as well, new2pa too. Seems the Western Board is pretty much ignored but football is football, east or west. The West is really loaded for bear this year aren’t they!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT