ADVERTISEMENT

the Latest out of Morton Ave

defcon3

Sep 16, 2005
Not sure how true or convoluted the details I received are. Any Ridley faithful hear that coach Wood emailed all current players and told them that they were forbidden from trying out for the basketball team since their season was still going on? And that any violation will result not only in dismissal from the team, but any underclassman would not be welcomed back to the team the following season.

If true, that's crazy. There has to be some details missing.

That certainly is crazy. Why would he do it by email ? They have been practicing since the Coatesville game so why not just let the kids know that it's still football season. I'm not sure how many kids it would effect anyway. Did he bar them from wrestling and swimming too ? I think there are more wrestlers than basketball players.

I heard a crazy rumor that he was going to coach the baseball team. So nothing would really surprise me.

It is still football season for them, but I really dislike the undertone which is not by any means owned by this coach. Multi-sport participation should be encouraged. But we all know that one thing is said and another done. It's ashame. In a sport like football those other sports make players better. And you always (ALWAYS) can get your lifts in.

So will all of you be relived or saddened when Coach Wood throws his hat into the ring again for the opening at Malvern Prep?

Neither. I never thought he was going to be there long term anyways. He is just keeping the seat warm for Green. Why else would you lure him from his school, give him a teaching job in the school. and overpay him as an asst coach unless you had long term plans for him?

So will all of you be relived or saddened when Coach Wood throws his hat into the ring again for the opening at Malvern Prep?

Considering some of the things that I had heard about the old MP coach and his demeanor (and that contributing to his "resignation", I would be shocked if MP took a serious look at Wood. His reputation precedes him, and I am not sure his act would play well at Malvern.

If he does leave, that doesn't look good at all for the Ridley AD and selection committee.

If the long term plan is Green, Ridley will be sorry. For months I read about how you "need to be able to throw in the playoffs" and that Greens style of offense wont be successful when it mattered. Then I look at what Garnet is doing, which is the school Green came from. They are having a better year after Green left and are throwing the ball less than Ridley, and Ridley didn't go as far as they did with Green being on the staff. One can argue that Ridley had better offensive personnel.

I just can't envision Green being the long term solution, regardless of what the head of HR (Garnet guy) think of him.

He did coach two sports at widener!! Also I don't think any of this is true about him telling his players they can't tryout.. Just people starting rumours because they still have a hard on for him. & who cares if he also coaches the baseball team.

My thought was that if he was going to coach or be part of the baseball staff that means he would be onboard with kids playing multiple sports. So that would be the on,y importance to me.

Some of you must have the biggest Ax in the world because you have been grinding it all season.

Defcon- the players were told that they needed to wait until after the game today to try out for basketball or participate in any other sport (including swimming) because the season was not over. According to a player the post said, The players made a commitment to the team, the school, and each other to see this season through.

Speed- players were notified through Hudl because it got to everyone immediately and team meetings were taking place without numerous players because they were preparing to attend basketball tryouts like they had the year before under the previous coach.

6 days - All players have been encouraged to play another sport. In fact, anyone not playing another sport has been almost pushed to wrestle. My son has decided that it might be better to wrestle then attend off season study hall, trainings, and community service.

Couple facts - Ridley went 10-2, won a share of the league title, won a District 1 playoff game. Lost to a really good CVille Team and a team playing for a 5A title. It was a good year. There is structure and discipline back in the program. It is nice to see these young men buying into being Raiders again.

Other facts- all assistant coaches within the football program get paid the same. The Ridley baseball job is not open. Though some wish it was, the softball job is but I have not heard Coach Woods name mentioned.

Happy Thanksgiving,
GM

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT